Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
No Age's show in Pittsburgh last night was absolutely killer. So much sound for a two-man band. They played some new stuff too, the next album is going to be great for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Toadstrieb posted:

Where'd you see them? I'm really only familiar with Altar Bar in terms of decent venues in Pittsburgh (decent as in attracts "big" names), but I'm always looking for more, so.

They played for University of Pittsburgh's radio station WPTS's spring show on campus in Oakland. I'm a student that DJs there, so it was pretty sweet. We also had Man Man here in the fall.

Other cool stuff coming up in Pittsburgh (at least on my list, not necessarily all indie) includes The Menzingers at Roboto on the 22nd, Cursive at Mr. Smalls on the 28th, Cloud Nothings at Brillobox on April 3rd, Spraynard at Roboto on the 4th, Shabazz Palaces at Shadow Lounge on the 8th, and Bomb the Music Industry! at Ormsby/Screaming Females at Roboto on the 9th.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 17, 2012

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Since they have just 89 listeners on last.fm, I'm going to assume people haven't heard of Coo Woo, but you should all give their album a listen. Surfy post-pop? I'm terrible at genres, but this is awesome.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
M83 added more dates and is coming to Pittsburgh in August. Tickets go on sale Friday, so giving a heads up to the locals here. I can't wait to be done with school and get back to working 40 hours a week so I can actually have money for all of these things.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
We're just under three months away, but is anyone else going to Pitchfork Fest? I'm headed there Saturday, the line-up is incredibly strong that day.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Jelq Swagger posted:

fun. just finished a live show minutes ago that was absolutely amazing. I need to find a way to get money for their show in Pittsburgh next month:

Pittsburgh has a really awesome summer concert calendar and it's kind of crazy. I never thought I'd get to see Modest Mouse here, and I'm still up debating about Beach House just because it's the weekend after Pitchfork. Battles is here in June, and though not indie or anything, I'm losing my mind at the thought of seeing The Bouncing Souls and The Menzingers together in August. Then other cool stuff is St. Vincent (today actually), Tune-Yards, Los Campesinos, My Morning Jacket/Band of Horses, Death Cab for Cutie/Andrew Bird... it's shaping up to be a great summer.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've been digging Bear In Heaven's newest album "I Love You, It's Cool" a lot lately, particularly Sinful Nature. I love the variety of the synths and vocal melodies, this is easily my choice for song of the year so far.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Pitchfork's Saturday line-up is pretty kickin.

quote:

Saturday
Grimes 8:40 (A)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor 8:30 (B)
Danny Brown 7:40 (A)
Hot Chip 7:25 (C)
Chromatics 6:45 (A)
Sleigh Bells 6:15 (B)
Schoolboy Q 5:45 (A)
Wild Flag 5:15 (C)
Nicolas Jaar 4:45 (A)
Flying Lotus 4:15 (B)
Youth Lagoon 3:45 (A)
Cults 3:20 (C)
Liturgy 2:50 (A)
Atlas Sound 2:30 (B)
Lotus Plaza 1:55 (A)
Cloud Nothings 1:45 (C)
The Psychic Paramount 1:00 (B)
The Atlas Moth 1:00 (A)

Definitely want to see all of Cloud Nothings, Flying Lotus, and Godspeed. In the between, I'm thinking scout out Atlas Sound, Liturgy, Cults, Youth Lagoon, Sleigh Bells, and Hot Chip. Sucks that Grimes is opposite Godspeed, but that's not too bad. Anyone I'm really missing out on? I fully expect to catch bits and pieces of some people, but that's cool too.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Menzingers own and everyone should listen to them if they have any sort of punk inclinations. So excited to see them with The Bouncing Souls in a few weeks.

On that note, Pitchfork Fest Saturday was pretty amazing. Started the day off with Cloud Nothings in a downpour, and that couldn't have been any better. Their set got cut short because they blew out the PA, but it was awesome for what they did. Attack on Memory is easily one of my favorite albums this year.

Checked out a bit of Atlas Sound and Liturgy before it started raining again and ducked into the vinyl tent. Atlas Sound was kind of meh for a festival just for the type of music it is. Liturgy was pretty sweet, but the rain cut my view of them short. Went to see Cults after that, and while they can't recreate the sound they do on their album, it was still a fairly decent set that made me appreciate their self-titled a bit more.

After that was Flying Lotus. Simply incredible. It's easy to imagine him getting lost into the laptop with headphones on, but he really does make an effort to be as much of the performance as the music. The crowd got to be a bit annoying as people went nuts for his sampling of "Watch the Throne" and looked all confused and moody at "Kill Your Co-Workers."

Ate some food and then ventured over to Sleigh Bells, and I really don't get how people don't see them as a joke band. Guitars didn't seem plugged in, Alexis Krauss spent too much time trying to get the crowd into it (although they did go nuts for her) and look cool. I can't say I'm against the sound they try to do, as my taste is heavily influenced by punk and hardcore, but it does nothing for me.

Went to see Chromatics after that and was thoroughly disappointed. They have a cool sound that blends dream-pop and electro but could not have looked less interested in being there. Ended with a nice cover of "Running Up That Hill," but it was largely forgettable.

From there it was time to get a spot for Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Easily the highlight of the night and musically one of the best performances I have ever seen. Very strange, as yo can imagine, but extremely well done. Even with stretches of ambient noise based around a single violin note, everything could not have tied together more perfectly. It was disappointing that the festival decided to pit Grimes against them, but I figure she'll be around for some time, whereas I may never get to see Godspeed again. I'd make the same decision every time. I'd highly recommend Pitchfork to anyone who can find a cheap place to stay in Chicago.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New TDCC is rather excellent. Nice progression for them, and the live tracks are decent too. Going to see them in Columbus, should be a good show.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Every time I see 'Band of Horses' and thinks it's 'I Break Horses'. So many horse bands...

I have a friend who's mostly into the deer bands, but I'm more of a bear guy. Bear Hands, Minus the Bear, Bear In Heaven, Bear vs. Shark, Grizzly Bear.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Count Chocula posted:

Japandroids are playing an indie festival next year, but they said they’re not doing sideshows. I went to the festival twice (it’s St Jerome’s Laneway) to see The Hold Steady, and there’s usually a lack of rock acts. I really don’t know what to do; I need to see Japandroids but the other music is probably really bland or bloodless. Are any of these bands good or exciting? 

For the love of all things holy go see Cloud Nothings. Their set at Pitchfork was incredible and I keep thinking that Attack on Memory is my album of the year.

WickedIcon posted:

I realize I'm more than a little late but holy gently caress Kill for Love by Chromatics is a fantastic album. Night Drive was pretty good but the jump from that to Kill is goddamned huge.

This one I'm just having a hard time with. I think The Page and Lady are fantastic songs, but that album is nearly 80 minutes long and the middle bores me to death. There's a lot of talent there, but between this and what I've seen live, they are nowhere near as good as they could be.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

WickedIcon posted:

You don't like These Streets Will Never Look The Same or Broken Mirrors? :crossarms:

Honestly that's where the album really dropped off for me. The vocals in These Streets are too processed for me, and Broken Mirrors never gets off the ground. I'm tempted to think it's my own fault for mostly being into punk/hardcore music, but at the same time, I love a lot of ambient electronic, post-rock, and other slow-building styles.

As for this year, it's pretty much between Attack on Memory and Bear In Heaven's I Love You, It's Cool. The Menzingers no doubt put out one of my favorites this year, but I much prefer their sound from their first two albums. Cloud Nothings manages to grab me through their entirety, and Bear in Heaven ridiculously improved from their last, which I didn't really think was possible. Sinful Nature remains my song of the year.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 28, 2012

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That entire Death Grips album is insane. The situation around it is pretty crazy too. It was all set to be released October 23rd, and then Epic dicked around and said "naw let's wait until 2013." Death Grips then said gently caress it and uploaded the full album on their website for stream and download, and the website then went down a few hours later. That then led to Death Grips posting a ton of links on twitter in response with multiple sites that had it for download. Strange to say the least.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

HorseRenoir posted:

Has anyone heard Dan Deacon's new mash-up album yet? Wasn't expecting this to drop out of nowhere, but it's really insane and awesome, and I think it's even better than "America," which was pretty spectacular in it's own right.

This owns so, so hard. Dan Deacon can do no wrong.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Giraffage is excellent and all of his stuff is free on bandcamp. Worth checking out if you're into chillwave.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Back from a few pages, but the new Cloud Nothings album is out and it rips.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
No Age is also worth checking out if you like Cloud Nothings/Titus Andronicus/Japandroids. Everything In Between is one of my favorite albums.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Red_Fred posted:

People into Japandroids/Cloud Nothings etc. should check out California X. So good.

This rules, seconding it very much.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm really digging this new Purity Ring album.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Stelio Kontos posted:

Me too. Any standouts for you yet? I'm really loving how hooky Megan got with her vocals this time around, "sea castle" and "heartsigh" come to mind immediately. And the synths really channel Crystal Castles on a lot of these tracks which is pretty huge for me.

Big winners for me are Stranger Than Earth (that middle synth part is so good), Begin Again (really like the overall feel as a dark pop song), Dust Hymn (synths again sealing it for me), and Heartsigh (for being sufficiently weird with its effects).

I'm wondering how my standouts here compare to the favorites of Shrines. Amenamy was far and away my favorite followed by Obedear, Belispeak, Crawlersout, and Lofticries.

At any rate I wish they were coming closer to me on their tour, I saw them... maybe in 2013 and it was great if not short. WOuld love to see them again with more material.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Are Purity Ring any good live? I can go see them in Lawrence and I want to know if it's worth a 3 hour drive each way.

The new album is great, by the way. Listen to it. It's not as good as Shrines, but that was a rather singular album.

Three hours might be pushing it. I imagine they'll do a second run on this tour. They were pretty great when I saw them though, Corin Roddick's instrument contraption is a neat experience. The show itself got a little smoky but I credit that to poor ventilation in the venue. They played all of Shrines since that's all they had to go with, but it was worth it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New grimes owns, I can't stop listening to Flesh Without Blood and I'm probably going to find so much else to get obsessive about when I get sick of that track.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is LUH ever going to release an album or is it just going to be shrouded in mystery?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I remember one of my friends put five or six tickets to the final show at MSG on their credit card when they were first announced so she and a few others could go and then realized she could pay off a full semester at a private school if she sold them.

She didn't, but yeah, it really seemed like that was it for LCD.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
LUH (Ellery James Roberts of WU LYF) got a mention when they put out two new songs but they came out the same day as Art Angels so nobody really cared. Getting more and more into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ld1y8Xqz0

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

bows1 posted:

the Guy from WU LYF released a new album under the name LUH and its incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFSdfgFW7PQ

This got ignored by so many people when it first was announced because Art Angels came out at the same time but it is sooooooo good. Auto-tune notwithstanding in this track.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I saw Diiv tonight and they were great. Kind of wish people were a little less moody and more dancey, but everything about the set was fine. Definitely go see them if you're on the fence about it.

Their opener, Parnoyds were also pretty rad and played a pretty fast/intricate set compared to the studio songs. Kind of like a more stoned out Dum Dum Girls or Bikini Kill. Worth checking out for sure.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Grabbed one, thanks! really excited to listen to the whole thing.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Does the new Japandroids album hold up better live? I wanted to like it but it did not feel nearly loud enough to be Japandroids.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

thehoodie posted:

He is rad, and also his new album is super rad and a lot less "zany" than his previous stuff. Little Mac is growing up!

I didn't go (dumb on my end) but my friend went to see him on Monday and said he played a 2 1/2 hour set that culminated in him crowdsurfing across the venue, climbing into the balcony to bum a cigarette, then climb back down and surf back to the stage to finish. So maybe not growing up yet.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
My friend gave me an early birthday present and got us tickets in the fifth row for Broken Social Scene this fall. I'm beyond hype.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Cyril Sneer posted:

Are we allowed to rant in this thread?

I'm getting reaaaallll sick of all these female-fronted shoegaze/dreampop bands featuring sinuey, washed-out vocals against chopped-up minimalistic backing tracks. Spotify insists on stuffing my Discovery Weekly playlists full of this stuff and its all hot, same-soundy garbage.

Hrrrmmpff :colbert:

Meanwhile Chromatics will never loving release Dear Tommy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Bought tickets with a friend to see Julien Baker next Wednesday. Looking forward to crying together.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Julien Baker was awesome, new album is going to be great. I also came away impressed with Half Waif after not feeling their studio recordings.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Someone (probably here) described Jack White as their favorite Johnny Depp character and I feel like that is the best comparison/point of understanding you can have for him and his music/mannerisms.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That's one of those things I won't believe exists until it's in my hands, but still hnnnnggggggggg

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm always kind of amazed how huge that song got and that it gets a pass for having one verse, prechorus, and chorus and then couldn't think of anything else so it just gets repeated.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Good soup! posted:

As much as I want to be upset about them saying goodbye, their last three albums have been hugely inconsistent, IMO. I didn't like much of anything on Voids, Infinity Overhead and Omni are weird - Omni is a huge mixed bag but somehow ends with Fooled by the Night which is loving incredible and Infinity Overhead didn't have more than maybe two songs I can immediately recall in my head.

I don't know if they needed better producers or better decision making or what, because the stuff on Lost Loves is fantastic and I'm always just like ":psyduck: why weren't these released, this track is way loving better than [insert weak song from any of their last few albums]"

(i know songwriting doesn't exactly work that way, but still)

I'm in the same boat as you. Couldn't believe Lost Loves was an album of leftovers. I remember getting ready to go on a trip and buying Omni and The National's High Violet. I was blown away by High Violet and couldn't have been more disappointed in Omni. I haven't bought any of the new albums since Omni but I'm not going to miss the Pittsburgh show, they always put on a good performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I just got back from seeing Radiohead for the first time and holy poo poo was it awesome.