Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If wearing white earbuds carried an increased risk of being mugged, what about walking around with a goddamn computer on your head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

waffle posted:

Just saw this Kickstarter for a new e-ink smartwatch (the Agent). I can't really tell what could distinguish it from the Pebble, though (except for the wireless charging). I guess it is considerably more expensive?

Seems like they're going also going for more premium materials and wider platform support.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Well we have an answer on the Qualcomm Toq which I thought was the most interesting offering between the Galaxy Gear trainwreck and the somewhat boring Pebble. December 3rd and $350. :ohdear:

This is pretty disappointing, giving it's wireless charging and color screen I expected a premium over the Pebble but I was thinking more in the $250 range, $350 is a ton of money for a watch that isn't much more capable than a Pebble.

I'd be more interested in this if it was't Android only.

On a different note, did anyone get in on the Agent kickstarter? Seems like it might actually ship at some point? Not sure if backers are getting any more info than regular users. I was vaguely tempted, but I've been waiting over a year for the last electronics project I kickstarted so I shied away.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/secretlabs/agent-the-worlds-smartest-watch

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 18, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Behold the Microsoft wearable:

With the same idiotic screen as the Gear Fit, is there anyone on earth that can comfortably hold their hand to make a screen like that usable in landscape? Jesus.

Buying one! Cross platform and $199 seems like a good setup.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vintimus Prime posted:

I wonder if the fact that even Microsoft has gotten GPS into their fitness band, will Apple include GPS in rev 1 of Apple Watch or are they too far along. Minus Cortana, it looks like it integrates well with iOS and Android, though the jury is still out with the Health program and Google fit.

I have a hard time getting on board with Google fit, considering they've already launched and then shuttered one health tracking platform in the past, and it's only going to work with Android.

Healthvault has been slurping up all my health data for years across a variety of platforms & devices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not that you can apparently buy one at the moment, but now that it's been a while, what are people's thoughts on the Microsoft Band?

People still using them? Just trying one on in the store it felt reasonably comfy, but I am kinda debating between it or just getting a Fitbit charge or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Microsoft has the band in stock in store only right now. I was able to pick one up today, but they were going fast.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I was really considering the Charge HR but I think I'm going to go with the Jawbone Up 3. The Charge just seems like it is venturing in the lovely smart watch territory and I would rather a smartwatch be a smart watch. That and I understand why Fitbit isn't supporting HealthKit or Google Fit but I think I want something a little more open.

Strangely they do support Microsoft's health data service (probably because it was the only game in town for years), so the precedent is certainly there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

So the MS Band and the Jawbone UP3 both have galvanic skin response sensors. What I can't tell is, are those used for stress measurements (being that GSR is influenced by stress/anxiety)?

I guess the UP3 is still vaporware at this point, but can any MS Band-havers weigh in?

I'm trying to be better about managing stress day-to-day and something that can help quantify it would be pretty killer for me.

I have a Microsoft band, there's no values that I can see for stress measurement.

According to the docs it's used to see if you're wearing the band:

quote:

Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) sensors

The GSR sensor measures the conductivity of your skin between the GSR sensor under the clasp and the secondary GSR contact point under the face of your Microsoft Band. This tells your Microsoft Band whether you’re wearing it, so it can adjust how it monitors your activities.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us/support/hardware/sensors

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Walked posted:

I want a relatively low profile wearable that allows me to view text messages that I receive, while on my bike, from an iOS phone.

So far it looks like either the Garmin Vivofit or Pebble are the two best bets for this goal; both have bonuses over that but messages while I'm cycling are my number one goal.
edit: The MS band looks like it could be a contender as well.

Anything I'm missing? The Apple watch that's coming is too spendy and too bulky for cycling (and the pebble might be too for that matter).

How detailed are these texts?

On the Microsoft band you can probably get the sender and maybe first 10 words of the text on the screen (although you can scroll for the rest). For the Garmin are you talking Vivofit or Vivosport?

You'll likely get more content for a text message on the pebble vs any of the bracelet style devices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I get their reasoning behind releasing the band when they did, but it seems like version 2.0 will be much better once they've got the insight from all the early adopters.

I chatted with a product manager for the band in a Microsoft store when I was buying mine (she was buying some for family/friends), it seems like they're very interested to hear what people think.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well poo poo, I think the Microsoft band is getting returned. I discovered today its been silently failing to sync for the last week, and the only fix was deleting the app and factory resetting the device. Its synced again now, but I lost a weeks worth of data as a result.

Is the Fitbit surge still in a weird "sort of released" status? I really liked the sensors the Microsoft band had and could live with the form factor, but losing data like that is not acceptable.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I feel like it is probably a huge YMMV based on skin tone and individually physiology but I am really, really impressed by the HR monitor on the Charge HR, I am getting completely consistent accurate reads running and biking with it and I like it a whole lot more than wearing a chest strap.

The biggest complaints I saw was that it seemed to take some time to detect a rise when you started a workout, have you seen that at all? Are you comparing Charge HR vs a chest strap?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What happened to the wearable technology that the guy from Black Eyed Peas brought out? He announced it a couple of months ago and I haven't heard anything of it since.

Still not out.

http://www.puls.com/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Subterfrugal posted:

Has Microsoft done anything with the Band since its release? I really like my Band but for gently caress's sake its like they're trying to fail. Two months in and I still can't
-program my own custom workouts
-Track data on my Microsoft tablet (IOS and Android get Apps, but it seems even Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo about Metro Apps)
-Convince Band to track my Outlook account rather than my spamtrap gmail.

I like the Band itself so much that I'm considering getting a Windows phone to take advantage of Cortana integration. The biggest reason I'm hesitating is it seems like Microsoft instantly loses interest if their new whatever doesn't instantly cause Google to file for bankruptcy.

Also, why hasn't anyone built a Spritz based reader for wearables? It seems like a perfect fit.

They did just release an update for the Microsoft Health software and new band firmware, but with the vague "bug fixes, blah blah" notes only. Would be nice if they had a roadmap or something, but eh.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 7, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MJBuddy posted:

If you can give me a link to this somewhere I'll basically go buy the fitbit today.

Peak looks great but the fact that it's completely dissapeared from retailers and may not even work with my phone sends me bad signals.

quote:

Jawbone says the Up3 will only measure resting heart rate at first, and while it says it plans to add continuous monitoring through a software update, it couldn’t give an exact timeline.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-11-05/jawbone-up3-and-move-a-high-end-design-and-a-cheap-gateway

Oh, better article:

quote:

Our purpose is to help you develop healthy habits for long-term heart health. Heart rate during workout and heart rate throughout the day are easily influenced by external factors. Resting heart rate on the other hand is devoid of such external influences. And because managing resting heart rate is the single most important thing you can do to improve your cardiac health, that’s what we’ve focused on initially for UP3. So out of the box, we will deliver resting heart rate as a measure of heart health. But very soon, we will unlock “passive” and “on-demand” heart rate – both updates that will come over the air – allowing you to see your heart rate at any time throughout the day.

https://jawbone.com/blog/up3-wearable-heart-rate-monitor/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

rantAK posted:

Seconding this, my Charge HR also lasts 4-5 days with similar usage.

I've never actually run the battery to 0%, I've found that it lasts at least 6 hours after it starts to give the low battery warning.

Weird. After one day of use, mine was down to medium (I dunno how accurate the battery meter is in the app, but it looked like 1/2). It looked like all day sync was on, is that a big impact on the battery life?

I'm honestly not sure if I'll keep the Charge HR or not, it's not really any comfier than my old Microsoft Band was, has less features and seems to be getting pretty similar battery life. If only I could actually find a replacement Microsoft band somewhere. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well boo, I seem to average 2-3 days on my Charge HR before I get the OMG CHARGE ME email, and it seems like that's low based on that chat in this thread.

Is there some setting that just murders battery life or something?

I'm wearing it all day (minus showering, bathing the kids, etc). I've got 1 silent alarm, call notifications turned on and all-day sync turned off. Heart rate tracking is on auto.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MC Hawking posted:

Haven't they been doing a lot of upgrades to the MS Health backend too? I thought I saw they added bicycling workouts too.

Yeah, the back end has gotten a lot better, hopefully a V2 of the hardware comes out at some point (better clasp, more comfortable, etc). For the amount of tech you got for the price, it was hard to beat!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

So Windows Band 2. It's curved with a glass screen. Hopefully the data analysis is more useful and transparent this time around, and the phone integration more robust. Pre-ordered! Anyone have any thoughts?

I pre-ordered one too, I really liked all the sensors from the last band, but the actual hardware design was bad and the software was really immature. It looks like both of those things have changed, and while I'd have preferred it to stay at $199, it seems pretty comparable feature wise to a fitbit surge to me, so meh?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

I'm interested in it but I'm curious if they are committed to making it work well with all phones. Is cortana going to work on Android/iOS? Or is that a Win10 phone thing only?

RIght now windows only, cortana for android/ios aren't ready yet, although cortana for android is in some sort of beta. Ultimately would be nice if it could just trigger siri or google now on those platforms too, not sure how hard that actually is.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I got the shipping notification for my Band 2 today, looks like it's coming straight from the factory in China. I'm kinda disappointed haven't seen more reviews of this yet, maybe they aren't in reviewers hands, or they are still embargoed or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just got my Microsoft Band 2. Fit and finish is so much better than the original. I ordered a large (was a large last time) and it's super comfy.

I've been wearing a fitbit charge HR for a while, this is certainly heavier, but so far feels like a very good example of "this is what should've been version 1". And of course, like everything these days, there's a day 1 software update.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Band 2 is here! A lot better than the first one, worse than I expected. There's something cheap about it, the interface between the rubber/glass/alu is a little amateur feeling. And the clasp, my god the clasp. Wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist is fine and dandy but that clasp is fat and ugly like your mum. I'm not sure why the strap is this latex material, a woven polyester or something would be much more adjustable and a double-d ring closer would be much lower profile and still allow for the battery pod and IR sensor and associated wires - it's not as if the band is waterproof.

Sizing is weird - the chart says I'm an L, in reality I'm snug in the middle of the M.

The curved glass screen is nice though, much better than the friction-ey plastic nonsense they had before.

6/10

Large does seem to be larger than the sizing chart indicates, I'm almost all the way cinched up and debating maybe returning for a medium at some point.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TLG James posted:

Are there any smart scales that integrate with MFP that aren't like 100 bucks?

This probably isn't the right thread, but about as close as it can get. The fitbit scale has some pretty medicore reviews.

For what it's worth, I've had the fitbit scale for a while and it's been fine, the whole family uses it. Just tried out the MFP sync and it seems like it works fine for stuff going forward, but not past data.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

My Charge HR battery went from lasting 6-7 days to lasting 1 or 2 since the last firmware update. It also isn't giving me warnings on my phone when the battery is low, and keeps dying without me knowing. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix or any way to roll back to the old fw?

e: This seems to be a widespread problem: http://consumerist.com/2015/12/29/fitbit-charge-users-report-worse-battery-life-after-firmware-upgrade/
For now I have turned quickview off. Still considering jumping to the MS Band 2 now that it's below 200 on Amazon

I jumped from charge hr to a band 2 and have been really happy, let me know if you've got any questions

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Reggie Died posted:

I started using Sleep As Android on a whim, and after using it throughout it's trial period, I realized how little sleep I was getting. I initially started looking for a cheap band to use in conjunction with the app, but after reading this article, I now want to go all out and track 24x7 continuous HR.

After doing some research, it's clear that some bands (Mio Fuse) are better at activity tracking than continuous tracking, and vice versa. I already have a Polar strap for workouts and cardio (via Wahoo app), so I'm only focused on continuous HR monitoring. I've narrowed my options down to the Fitbit Charge HR and the VivosmartHR, but saw the Band 2 get thrown around as well. The Vivo and Band seem to have some notification options that the ChargeHR doesn't, but has anyone used two or more of these units? Is one significantly better when it comes to HR monitoring? I don't think any of them will tie into Sleep As Android, so would probably have to use their own app to track that. So I guess the strength of their own app would be a selling point as well.

Just as a counter point to the rest of this page, I went from a Charge HR to a Band 2 and have been super happy. I like the sensors and metrics that the band puts out way better than the Fitbit, only thing I miss about the Fitbit is that the app did decent food tracking of you were into that.

The sleep tracking on the band 2 provides a lot more data and nothing is paywalled behind a premium offering. I'd say it's worth a look!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This seems like a nice addition to the Microsoft band, will have to try it out over the weekend:

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/05/17/microsoft-band-introduces-hiking-experience-with-the-new-explore-tile/

Hopefully the battery life is as good as they claim while it's running:

quote:

Download the app update to receive the Explore Tile, and try out the new experience for yourself. The Explore Tile uses built-in GPS to keep track of your route on your band’s display, and lets you drop points of interest along the way. It’s perfect for tracking hikes, or even just a walk around the neighborhood. Here are some of the new features to take advantage of on your next outdoor adventure:

Explore tile for the Microsoft Band

•GPS Power Saver automatically allows your band to track your hike for up to 12 hours.
•After your hike, sync your band to your mobile app to see your points of elevation and a map of your route in the Microsoft Health app and web dashboard.
•Stay hydrated, properly fueled, and get help dodging any inclement weather with smart alerts. They’ll remind you to hydrate and refuel, tell you what time the sun sets, and alert you of any inclement weather advisories based on atmospheric pressure.
•The UV monitor you know and love is enabled while you hike. It will notify you when your UV exposure is high, so you can stay covered or apply SPF while you’re out in the sun.
•Exploring on your own? Leave your phone in your pocket and turn up the tunes – skip tracks and adjust the volume on your phone’s music apps from your band’s touchscreen.
•If you want to stop for a rest or take in the view, no problem. The Auto Pause feature will automatically detect that you’ve stopped, so you can focus on your adventure.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't add that while you are listening to music and running this app you can save on the worry and fuss of having paper maps while hiking and navigate using google maps instead.

Just a reminder that the GPS on your phone will eat into your battery. Your watch may be able to keep going on a 12 hour hike, but if you intend to go hiking for even 4 hours using this feature then please remember to bring along a portable phone charger or extra beer for mountain rescue.

The band itself has GPS.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I had a fitbit zip that went for years including a few trips through the washer, etc until I lost it. I replaced it with a Charge HR and it worked well as well, although it certainly showed signs of wear after 6 months.

I replaced it with Microsoft Band 2 because I wanted the additional sensors, but I've never had any issues with fitbit build quality.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dza posted:

Just dropping by to mention that I have had an MS Band 2 since March and it's great. Does everything I need it to, and a ton of poo poo that I don't need but is neat to have.

About 2 months in I had the band split like this (not my pic):

Called MS early in the week, mailed it back the next day, and by the end of the week my shiny new replacement had arrived. A+ for customer service and ease of replacement.

Yeah, I'm on my second band 2, I really like the sensors & app but hopefully Band 3 (which presumably will come out later this year) fixes most of the remaining design issues.

I've had absolutely no problems with swapouts either.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

RIP Band 2, you were too good for this world. Except when the BAND of the Band broke and you couldn't replace it :suicide:

Microsoft has been replacing them no questions asked, although it does take a few days for shipping. I've got a band 2 with a warranty through October 2017, wonder how long they'll have replacement stock in place.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh god, not to be "that guy", but I'm looking at longer term platform options with the Band 2 going away, how are the smartphone notifications on the Fitbit Blaze? The website is pretty vague on the topic, although it looks more flexible than the call/text/calendar notifications on the other models?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nerdz posted:

Maybe try the Gear Fit line? I think the current one, Gear Fit 2, is pretty on par with the Band 2, but maybe an eventual Gear Fit 3 will keep things moving forward. I don't know if the Band has it, but on Gear Fit 2 you can even reply to message notifications with stock answers like yes, no and other custom ones.It IS a band, unlike the blaze. And if you're willing to go towards the watch form factor like the Blaze I think there are way superior options out there already.

Looks like it's android only though? Fitbit works with everything (which is one thing I liked about the Microsoft Band).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else's Fitbit not handle the time change properly? Mine didn't roll over to a new day properly, which seems real weird.

Resync/tracker restart didn't seem to help.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 6, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

The new Charge should not considering the band is removable and the brains part of it is stainless steel and plastic.

Yeah, I updated to a Charge 2 for this very reason

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

So this is either really good news or really lovely news...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13802996/fitbit-buy-pebble-deal-reportedly-close

Pebble is dead, Fitbit is apparently buying the ashes.

As an owner of both products Fitbit's notification system is useless, Pebble's is good to great. Pebble's fitness tracking is poo poo, Fitbit is good to great.

So either Fitbit will combine their really good embedded hardware and software with Pebble's OS and come out with a the first non-Apple watch that is both a great fitness tracker and a great smartwatch or one of the best smartwatch makers is being scraped for IP and talent.

Yeah, my hope is Fitbit can take what it is good at and combine it with what Pebble is good at, but we'll see. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

skooma512 posted:

How's the Fitbit Charge 2? I have a Zip but I wasn't impressed with the quality. The battery doesn't make contact with the device readily and I had to put wax paper behind it to push it in and it's fallen out of the holster before, which to their credit they gave me a new one for that.

It's great. I've gone zip -> Charge HR -> Charge 2. The Charge 2 fixed my complaints about the Charge HR and is a great device overall.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

It seems like the only reason to buy it is if you think its so much more fashionable than the Charge HR. It's the same price with less features (depending on how much you weigh its fashionability as a feature). And by "less features" I mean it looks like the HR has every single feature the Alta HR has plus some.

Bingo, my wife went with the Alta specifically based on appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

My Charge 2 finally updated to sleep stages the other day and I have to say it is pretty drat cool if their accuracy claims are true and I have no reason to believe that they are not. For instance on Tuesday it shows me waking up right out of REM sleep and I had a vivid memory of a dream I was having when I woke up and then last night it shows when I was woken up by my partner getting into bed as being in deep sleep and I remember being completely out of it when he woke me up and falling right back to sleep.

I was jazzed about this too, another thing I missed from the Microsoft Band, although my sleep is wrecked by a new baby.