Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just got an email from the i'mwatch people about the most recent shipping delay. It's a work of mangled English and art. Enjoy:

I ordered in August of last year. Now I might have it in September.

The possibility of an email like this is why I decided to back out of my Pebble kickstarter pledge at the last minute.

The extra $40 or so I might pay when it starts selling at retail is worth my piece of mind now that I'm not going to put $115 on the line for an indeterminate period of time with no full promise of a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Pjl31cyDY

Well, that's one way to keep Glass in the spotlight.

I can't help but imagine that whole thing is Google trying to run a campaign to say "See? They're not nerdy. Girls wear them!"

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also, an interesting Glass update.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Google launched a site with a demo video of Glass and what looks like some screenshots.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 20, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

I would love to know how it's going to be connected. Does it tether off a cell? Does it have its own LTE radio? If so then wouldn't you also need a contract with it?

I'm sold pretty hard already, but tell me more google!

The Verge has your answer

quote:

The device gets data through Wi-Fi on its own, or it can tether via Bluetooth to an Android device or iPhone and use its 3G or 4G data while out and about. There’s no cellular radio in Glass, but it does have a GPS chip.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wonder if the second iteration of the Pebble could have wireless charging so you could charge with a lot less effort than having to plug it into a wall charger.

The Pebble looks too bulky to me and from the iFixit teardown it looks like a lot of the space is taken by the battery. I would be willing to accept shorter battery life and a smaller battery if it meant I could toss the watch on a wireless charging pad on my nightstand.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nybble posted:

Just got the message from Project Glass that I'm one of the lucky 8000 people. It seems like they picked them at random (they definitely selected some people with joke tweets.) I'm kinda hesitant about dropping the $1500 for it (that would be a new laptop for me, and I may need one soon), but if they allow access to the SDK, I'm definitely in. Even if Project Glass doesn't succeed in it's current form, I have to think it will in other forms and may be worth trying it out if only to develop ideas for other future wearable tech.

I don't have any other details yet about when I can get it, they are still sending out the notifications, but I'll update this thread when I learn more.

I preordered at I/O last year. I'm pumped to get it, whenever it ships.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One thing to remember about expense is that the Glass kit they're offering now is basically a limited run prototype and a dev kit. Dev kits just plain cost more. The PS3 developer kit cost $10,000 out of the gates (and was later dropped to $2,000), but obviously that's not what anyone paid for a PS3 when it went to market.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Honestly I don't really see this tech becoming the sort of ubiquitous "wear it everywhere all the time" sort of thing for a long time.

With a proper SDK, in a lot of niches it'd be pretty awesome. It'd be handy for automotive stuff, put a tech manual in your eye with voice recognition ("OK glass, show me the location of the front oxygen sensor"). See distance to the pin and course map while golfing. If they offered the opportunity to run paid YouTube streaming channels, it would open up a cottage industry of people running their own first-person filmed cooking shows, DIY instructions, etc and making money doing it.

And maybe it will bleed into "well this works great on the golf course, so why don't I wear it every day." Maybe not.

But the niche use cases seem like promising enough opportunities that I will give it a go and try to make something for it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Reportedly, the Glass pre-orders will ship within the next month:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/10/glass-explorer-edition-to-ship-within-next-month-google-confirms/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Glass API docs are up: https://developers.google.com/glass/

They're beginning to ship the first wave of devices today, too, apparently. Some number of people (not me yet) have been given the opportunity to pay for their preorders and give shipping info.

edit: even more Glass specs coming out https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3064128?hl=en&ref_topic=3063354

quote:

Display

High resolution display is the equivalent of a 25 inch high definition screen from eight feet away.

Camera

Photos - 5 MP
Videos - 720p
Audio

Bone Conduction Transducer
Connectivity

Wifi - 802.11b/g
Bluetooth
Storage

12 GB of usable memory, synced with Google cloud storage. 16 GB Flash total.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 16, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I got Glass on Friday. I had it shipped to me so I did not get to go through the whole special pickup event where they hand you a glass of champagne or whatever and give you a personal setup and a pat on the back out the door.

First impressions:
  • It's really, really light. It also does not feel like the right half (the electronics side) is trying to fall over.
  • It took a little bit of adjustment to fit right, but once you have done so, it's comfortable. This is where the in-person setup probably comes in handy. The frame is strong but bendy and you can/must bend it to fit your head. If it hurts to wear it (mainly if the speaker module is drilling into your head) then you probably have it sitting too low and need to adjust the nosepiece.
  • The angle wake feature seems like it could use some adjustment. The default 30º angle is too high and you look goofy trying to trigger it. 20º is too low and I trigger it just nodding in conversation or the like. I haven't found the sweet spot yet so I just turned it off.
  • Photos look pretty good in daylight or well lit indoor places. It's a little blurry in low light but with no flash and fixed focus, that's probably to be expected.
  • Battery life is nothing marvelous. I spent all weekend goofing around with it so I haven't really figured out what "normal" battery life is like. It got through a workday today without dying.
  • The included sunglass attachments look stunningly goofy and that says a lot considering I'll fully grant that Glass itself looks pretty nerdy.

I've had some fun with the API thus far and I'm looking forward to making some stuff for this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I live in St Louis. I haven't really received any negative reaction so far although I've only had the device for a few days.

I have had people ask me what it can do, or what exactly I am seeing through the screen. The companion app on the phone (which is otherwise used as a GPS/SMS proxy) comes with a simulcast feature so you can show someone what you see, which is kind of handy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Glass already has its first OTA update.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 8, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nybble posted:

Just got the message from Project Glass that I'm one of the lucky 8000 people. It seems like they picked them at random (they definitely selected some people with joke tweets.) I'm kinda hesitant about dropping the $1500 for it (that would be a new laptop for me, and I may need one soon), but if they allow access to the SDK, I'm definitely in. Even if Project Glass doesn't succeed in it's current form, I have to think it will in other forms and may be worth trying it out if only to develop ideas for other future wearable tech.

I don't have any other details yet about when I can get it, they are still sending out the notifications, but I'll update this thread when I learn more.

Sounds like you might hear from them soon, they're now going to start sending the #ifihadglass folks messages about how to purchase & pick up.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seems like the big niche right now is sports: among the best are two different golf apps, a workout coach app (it plays you an exercise in the display and then uses the accelerometer to count your reps), and Strava for both running and cycling.

There's also IFTTT so you can define your own notifications and such to Glass. Couple cooking apps too.

Word Lens, the realtime translation app, is the coolest looking one. That's the app that'll let you look at something in a foreign language and it'll show you the same view, but with the text translated. It works but it will murder your battery.

And then if you want to share photos there's all the various social services you care about and some you don't (FB, Twitter, G+, Tumblr, Path).

Most of the other apps in their "Glassware" portal look pretty useless.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cockmaster posted:

I don't suppose anyone's working on a navigation app? I've been thinking that that would be nice to have for walking around a major city.

Google's already got Maps integrated with driving, cycling, walking, and transit directions.

https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3086042?hl=en

It's actually pretty cool; the screen will switch off when you're on the route so as to not distract you. As you're approaching a turn it'll beep in your ear, tell you what to do, and briefly show the map again.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-says-android-wear-about-to-get-even-smarter-q-a/

Sounds like Android Wear will be getting another update this week, and soon with further updates it will support connections to Bluetooth headsets and support watches with internal GPS (although unless it's just hiding and unactivated, none of the existing devices have GPS).

The use case they're pitching is that you could go out for a run but leave your phone at home, and still use the watch to listen to your music and collect stats on your run with Strava or whatever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Motorola pushed an update to the Moto Connect app for the 2013/2014 phones to add Moto 360 integration, and they've gone totally amateur hour with it.

If you pair an Android Wear device, regardless of make/model, to a Motorola phone, the phone assumes the Wear device is a 360 and uploads the Motorola watchfaces and apps to it.

Oh yeah, in addition to cluttering up the watch, it will crash your watch if you should mistakenly use any of them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Sure Motorola could have not bundled their faces with the Connect app, but that would mean the only way they could update them/add more would be to wait for a Wear update. I'd blame this more on Google, since they should really offer a OEM-only interface in their Play services layer which allows OEMs to restrict the deployment of the bundled Wear apps to their own devices.

I would have figured Motorola could have pushed a small sentinel app to the watch whose purpose is to just check the build.prop to confirm 360ness and report back, then use the result from that to decide whether to push the rest.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like Jawbone's adding support for the whole stable of wearables - Android and also presumably supporting anything Apple announces next hour provided it ties to Healthkit. I wish Fitbit would do this; they already support the step counter in the iPhone 5s and this year's HTC One.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/jawbone-up-android-wear-healthkit-windows-phone/?ncid=rss_truncated

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Hmm, but when would they get the chance? Play services scavenges the directory of installed APKs for wearable apps and pushes as soon as it gets a match. Moto could use that technique within the app itself to disable it (and thats probably what they'll do), but its still kind of gross that it gets installed at all.

Yeah, good point. I imagine they could have Motorola Connect install the checker (as opposed to installing the whole pile of 360-specific stuff), and if it passes then prompt you to go to the play store and install a second app for the 360 that contains the 360-specific apk for Wear.

You're right though, what they do really need is the equivalent of the market filters, but for Wear.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the new Sony model the only Android Wear device announced thus far that has onboard GPS?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes the Apple watch? The aluminum on the sport housing looks like it will collect fewer smudges than the shiny stuff, and while I may not be totally nuts about it's associated band, it can be changed.

I like the looks of it; it reminds me of the 2007 iPhone, if you put it through a shrink ray and attached a band.

I just can't get over that launcher screen and the UI though. If you told me a year ago that the Android watch would be the more minimal, reactive/notification-driven UI and the Apple device would have a cluttered launcher screen with multiple means of input, I'd think you were full of poo poo.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Someone did make a nifty app though that sidesteps the crappy app launching scheme on Wear, and its trigger gesture is swiping inward from one edge. I find this launcher tool to be really useful, even if just for getting quick access to alarms/stopwatch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.npi.wearminilauncher&hl=en

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Is there anywhere confirming this? I was going to make a trip around BB anyways this weekend so I might push that up to early in the morning and see if I stupidly impulse buy a Moto 360 instead of waiting for the LG G R which is currently my plan.

BBY's corp press release site is flaking out right now but from the google cache, this blogpost confirms 9/14.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The battery life on the G Watch is pretty good with respect to the "all day" claims. I usually take it off the charger at 7 am and go to bed at 11 or so with 30% left.

If you forget to charge at night, it is still alive in the morning. You can get 16 hours charge put back on it in the amount of time it takes to shower and get dressed.

The band looks cheap and rubbery so get something different there. It's a standard 24 mm band. A different band goes a long way toward making the whole thing look better.

$229 is too much for it, but $179 isn't a raw deal.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Argyle posted:

- Yes, you need it continuously paired with your phone to do anything useful.

This is what's kind of cool with some of the Android Wear stuff in the pipeline; a future release of the Wear OS is scheduled to support onboard GPS and untethered music. The new Sony watch I think is the first one with any onboard GPS hardware. The use case they're targeting is you could load up the watch with music, pair it to headphones, go out for a run without your phone, and still be able to get GPS-driven stats on your run.

Three Olives posted:

Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

Eh, it requires a lot of background services to kick notifications and such to the watch, and there's no layer on iOS that apps could talk to for routing things to the watch. And Pebble has shown that it's harder to get rich notifications from iOS than it is Android.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Apple notifications over bluetooth are solid and has a published frasmework, basically any notification can be pushed to a bluetooth device including SMS and telephone.

You can't do the rich notifications that actually make Android Wear worth using though. Or the data sync layer that allows apps to interact with the watch and vice versa.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

I wonder if being bought by a Chinese company is the reason why the internals are so lovely. The screen/processor decisions are baffling.

It sounds like the deal still hasn't closed and the 360 would've been in the pipeline before the buyout was even announced.

Motorola just wanted to get this into the market as quickly as they could and that included cutting corners on actually building it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like the Jawbone Up app now supports tracking on Wear.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jawbone.upopen

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Would be nice if you could swipe with one finger to hide from the watch but leave on Now on the phone, and two fingers to obliterate it everywhere.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Sony watch is being teased on the Play Store. Thing looks big, but it has onboard GPS so with that v2.0 Android Wear update it might not make for a bad sport watch..

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=sony_smartwatch_3_black

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Meh, it's too little, a year too late. Given they've said they don't plan on syncing data into HealthKit (and presumably not to Google Fit either), it kills a lot of the draw in buying this.

I really liked the Fitbit Force, notwithstanding the ugly rash it gave me. But at this point I'm not going to buy one again. I'd rather have a smartwatch that puts data into a platform like HealthKit that other apps can draw from and write into. I noticed the Panera Bread app for iOS lets you order your lunch online and then have the calorie counts written straight into HealthKit. It's cool to see cool uses for HealthKit shaping together, and and it sucks that Fitbit is deciding to go it alone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What exactly does the MS band do, integration-wise, if you've got an iPhone? I assume it's only the barest of bare with regards to notification support, etc?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

:byewhore: jk still a good watch, but wait for 2nd gen at this point.

That's a shame because it looks a ton better than the LG. The LG would look better if it didn't have the super oversized band lugs on either end, and I assume all that space is probably stuffed with battery.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

amazon should just buy BB and turn it into a showroom that only sells mail order. Its basically that already.

Best Buy killed Circuit City, and Circuit City killed Service Merchandise, which was a catalog showroom store and pretty much exactly this thing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I can see the concern, the same way I always figured something nefarious about the Camel reps who show up at a bar and offer you two free packs of smokes in exchange for letting them scan your drivers license. I always assumed they were working both ends of the game and selling your name to life insurance companies as a known smoker. It seems like a device that captures all kinds of info about its wearer's health and activity could be a fairly valuable data source.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Now there's even a tracker band for your kid, it's like a combination Tamagotchi and fitness band

http://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/products/leapband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My G Watch would be off by 15-20% by the end of the day relative to my Fitbit. It also was not predictable in such a manner that you could just mentally correct for it (for example, 20% low every day).

While the Fitbit would show the same approximate number of steps for the same approximate daily routine, the G Watch would be wrong in different directions each day. Sometimes it'd be low, sometimes it'd be high.