Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Aphrodite posted:

The Pebble is about 50% overpriced even at $150 or whatever it costs. There's some room there.

It's $99 now for the plastic. I use my Wear as my daily watch, Pebble for working out and when I occasionally forget to charge it (i.e. pass out drunk) and to be honest if I was still on iOS I would be completely happy with the Pebble, it's a solid, solid watch for $99 that keeps getting better, I honestly can recommend it enough even just as a backup watch for your Apple Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The band is clearly a fitness accessory, not a smart watch. I think everyone got confused because there were so many Microsoft smart watch rumors that everyone thought that it was a smart watch. It appears things got muddled along the way at Microsoft and maybe they played into a bit but think a lot of it's flaws come from the idea that you should wear it as an all the time thing and not just when working out.

As a fitness device and not a smart watch I think it works as intended and is priced right, Microsoft needs to course correct a little bit and make it clear that although you can wear it all the time they are really going after Fitbit and Garmin, not Android Wear.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I wear my Fitbit Flex 24/7...

As do I, I meant more the Surge, likely the Charge. I like the Flex a lot but based on being a young urbanite the Flex seems almost a functional fashion accessory given it's small size and swappable bands, the Band, not so much.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I want a chain where the only thing in the front of the store is a bunch of electronic lockers so I can order online, duck into the store, swipe my card at the right locker, and go. That is what Best Buy's in-store pickup SHOULD be.

Amazon has lockers in front of the grocery store by my house that they will do same day delivery to. No discount but I figure that if same day delivery takes off they will give a significant discount to deliver to the lockers instead of your house.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

There's nothing wrong with it technically. Aesthetically it's not so hot but if you like it you like it.

Aesthetically it's not so hot but if you change the wristband it is completely inoffensive, even my fasionista friends who would have no problem telling me something I am wearing looks like poo poo don't have a problem with it. It's bland, it makes no sort of wow, super high tech statement, it also makes no it looks like poo poo statement. If you can get it for cheap absolutely get it, otherwise I would probably buy the Asus Zen.

Round watches may look cool but Wear is built around a square screen and despite what people might say about round being inherently more watch like Apple is about to flood the market with expensive square screen watches so no one is going to give a poo poo in about 3 months. Even now people ask me all the time "OH MY GOD IS THAT THE APPLE WATCH?"

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe more suited to running thread in WAYT but i'll try here first anyway...I want a band/watch/whatever that I can put on my wrist and use to start a run on the runkeeper app on my iphone.

Pebble is the only smart watch worth a drat on the iPhone. There are some more that "support" the iPhone but there is nothing that comes close to Pebble on support. Honestly at this point with the iPhone I would hold out, with the Apple Watch coming out soon and Pebble probably announcing new products at CES I wouldn't bother with iPhone right now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Groupon and Amazon both have the G Watch for $80 today, for $80 the G Watch is a solid, solid buy. Not the fanciest or flashiest but seriously it looks fine and Wear is still an immature platform, I would seriously wait until for the next gen watches for over $200 at this point.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, at this point I've decided to get the Moto362. If it looks the same but has a better screen, battery, and processor it's an instant buy.

I was going to buy the Zen watch because square and OLED but it turns out there is no ambient light sensor and now they are moving towards GPS, etc.

I like Wear, it's a good platform, unless the Apple Watch is loving amazing I will probably stick with Android until at least the iPhone 6S so I'm willing to spend $300+ on a Wear watch but I want everything, I will absolutely not settle for less than an OLED screen with an ambient light sensor.

As for the current state of Wear, they all have glaring flaws but the platform is good, buy for $80, it's solid for $80 but I just can't see it being worth it to pay more for one of the other current hobbled devices right now.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Is there a nice looking watch face that you can include fitness info as an option (i.e. how many steps you've taken in a day?)

I have an LG G watch R if that makes a difference thanks.

If it's anything like the G watch just don't bother it is laughably inaccurate as anything but a novelty. I've checked the accuracy of my Fitbit multiple times against GPS and mile markers, it is rarely off by more than a few percentage points, the G Watch is off by like 20-40%+. If you are serious about any sort of fitness tracking just buy a Fitbit or Jawbone, there is even a Wear app now that pulls step data from the Fitbit API.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 2, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So apparently Wear Lollipop is final, release either tomorrow or next week, watchface SDK is a go.

https://plus.google.com/+DerekRoss/posts/2M5zn7SDz95

:neckbeard:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

incogneato posted:

What are the best options out there for fitness trackers that have built in heart rate sensors? It would be paired with an Android phone, if it matters.

I was looking at the Microsoft Band for my wife for Christmas, but some of the reviews are pretty mixed. She doesn't need a pedometer, but (mostly) accurate heart rate sensing, graphs and poo poo synced somewhere, and the ability to coordinate somehow with her running app (RunKeeper, but she could switch) would be great.

Any extra features typical of smart watches would be nice but aren't necessary. If it shows the time and maybe has a stopwatch, I think she'd be fine doing everything else on her actual phone screen. She'd rather be able to set it and forget it than fiddle with settings.

Are there some coming out after Christmas that would make me regret buying now? Should I just jump on the Microsoft Band? Some reviews (including in this thread) have made me hesitant. I haven't heard much about the Basis Peak. Has anyone here tried it? Is there another option out there I'm missing?

It sounds like her goal is to get heart rate into RunKeeper and not an actual GPS enabled standalone device, in which case she probably would be much better off with a Bluetooth HR strap. If she wants to view HR and stopwatch in real time she is probably best of with a Forerunner.

Run trackers and wearables are completely different markets right now, they are both dabbling in crossovers but I just wouldn't bother with them at this point.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wear 2.0 is finally out!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...cards-and-more/

Finally official custom watch faces.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

It sounds like a wear device is what you want. Get an LG G watch for under $150. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but it'll do everything you need it to and has a battery that will last about one and a half to two days.

Don't read any of the reviews of the LG G watch which were mostly retarded and buy it for under $150, there is absolutely no reason to spend more on a Wear watch right now, the platform is good but still really immature, there is no true second gen device and we are at the end of the cycle for first gen devices with nothing that doesn't involve major compromises.

If you can snag a G watch R for $200 bucks go for it, a Moto 360, meh, I wouldn't but fine, same for the Sony 3, if you really, really must the Zen Watch isn't a horrible buy at $200 full price but honestly just buy a G watch for $100-ish, you will be perfectly happen until the next gen rolls around and saved a bunch of money.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like the Fitbit Charge HR is actually starting to make its way out to various retailers.

I was really considering the Charge HR but I think I'm going to go with the Jawbone Up 3. The Charge just seems like it is venturing in the lovely smart watch territory and I would rather a smartwatch be a smart watch. That and I understand why Fitbit isn't supporting HealthKit or Google Fit but I think I want something a little more open.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vintimus Prime posted:

Olives, did you already preorder an Up 3?

Nope, want to see a review first but short of a Samsung Fit level review of "It's poo poo" it seems like a good replacement for my Fitbit Flex.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I don't know if this goes here or in FLC but doing more research on the UP3 and I was completely wrong, it does resting heart rate with a mention of doing fitness heart rate at some point in the future.

So I guess I am going for the Charge HR? Is there another one that I am missing that isn't further into the smart watch territory like the Band or Basis Peak?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So Pebble now natively supports Android Wear notifications. :aaa:

God, if they manage a color ePaper display and some added horsepower at CES with similar battery life and still undercutting Apple and Google they could have a huge, huge winner on their hands.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So some Targets have Fitbit Charge HRs in stock right now, Fitbit released limited stock of the Surge and Charge HR early. I picked one up today. I really liked the Jawbone UP3 but continuous HR monitoring is huge and it looks like the Charge HR is the only thing in the near future that has it even though I am not terrible happy about being locked into the Fitbit ecosystem so much I already have a Fitbit Aria so eh.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 19, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Some Sports Authority stores also supposedly have it, but I've checked both there and my local Target twice this week with no dice. The Target electronics people were under the impression they still weren't going to see it until January.

I have to imagine there was some engineering or production disruption that kept the Charge HR from shipping until now. Surely you don't gather around a boardroom table and say "folks, our fall 2013 flagship product was kind of a clusterfuck and we had to buy them all back, so let's top that by shipping our 2014 model a week before Christmas and not telling anyone."

Yeah, I really don't understand what they are doing, I guess whatever production issues they were having cleared up and they didn't want to just sit on a bunch of inventory through the holidays.

And to make things even more confusing there is the Charge HR and the Charge, the Target that I bought mine at had them both mixed together. I honestly don't understand why the Charge without HR even exists, the $20 price differential is nothing for continuous HR monitoring. I get that for most people HR is useless but they should be selling them the Flex instead of the Charge, managing 8 SKUs over a $20 price difference is insane to me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Well, the plain old Charge basically seems to be the Force, except with a screwed together enclosure instead of one that's glued. Fitbit eventually concluded it was the glue in the Force that was causing the rashes. It's so much the same device that Charge-havers with older sync software have the software saying they've got a Force.

Which explains why the Charge is inexplicably larger than the Charge HR, I didn't consider that but it makes perfect sense.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If by track your fitness you mean use the heart rate/ step counter they are both basically useless.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Takoluka posted:

What's wrong with the heart rate checker?

Unless something has changed it is super, super finicky with questionable accuracy and doesn't really track data in a meaningful way.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How are you finding the Charge HR's accuracy? Like yourself I was thinking of picking up the new UP Band, but I've since been swayed to try out the Fitbit.

No problems with reading, It's winter and dark outside by the time I get home to run so I've been on the treadmill. It's within a few beats at 170ish according to the treadmill hand grips (Top of the line Cybex), I haven't checked against my Forerunner chest strap yet. The one thing is it is reading my resting heart rate at 70 the last day when it is normally in the high 40s low 50s but it has been a boozy and stressful two days, it put me at 55 the first day.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

What made you choose the Charge HR over the Surge?

Already own a Android Wear, Pebble and Forerunner and I'm not going to run without my phone on me so I didn't see any point to getting the Surge because it overlaps so much with everything else I own.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

Thanks for the reply :)

I have none of those and I don't run with my phone so that helps make the decision for me. Surge is my second choice after the Band but gently caress if I can ever find the latter in a store.

If you are looking for the Surge Target had them when I bought my Charge HR but it's the same with the Charge HR, it's not "officially out", there is just haphazard stock in some stores.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Do not get a Gear unless you hate yourself, there is basically zero support for them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RodShaft posted:

So is there an android wear watch that's the current darling?

Honestly wait until after CES unless you happen to see a G Watch on sale for like $80, Pebble will almost certainly announce the Steel successor at CES, you might see a few more Wear watches, if you absolutely most pick something up today I would probably go with the Zen , it seems to be the best mix of hardware/design/display/price.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Obviously, Fitbit has their two new devices due out soon, both with a strong focus on the heart monitoring capabilities. I really like how their app looks as well, and it very clearly provides the data we want access to. On the flip side of things, she and I have discussed at length, and she feels that she's not active enough to justify using a device like a Fitbit, and loves all the Android Wear functionality, but I've not been able to find an app that provides semi-continuous monitoring and does graphing (and maybe exports). So we're in between a rock and a hard place.

Don't, I don't fully understand why they even bothered with the heart rate sensors unless Google pressured them to do it, they can't even track steps reliably much less heart rate, there is no data logging, no history, no cross reference with activity, they are basically complete and utter useless poo poo.

The Fitbit is out, I have a Charge HR and I would highly recommend it, the heart rate tracking works completely as promised, logged 24/7, no battery issues, no reliability issues , it's really the only reasonable option out there if you want everyday heart rate functions. I was really leaning towards the Up3 but they have really, really backed off of their heart rate promises and are only promising once a day resting heart rate now which is really a shame because I would have gone with that had they managed to meet the Charge HR continuous pulse.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Walked posted:

Pebble was my original thought, but I've only found one handlebar mount for it and it looks crappy as hell.

I bought a Polar watch forever and ever ago that came with a handle bar mount, the watch is long since gone but I've used the mount with my Forerunner, Pebble and Wear watches, works great.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

G-Prime posted:

You make a very valid point, and if the doctors decide to go that route, that's something we'll do without a second thought. In this case, it's more that they've seen that her resting rate is abnormally high for a person who's in relatively good shape, and occasionally while sleeping will spike to heavy exercise rates. They did a real medical monitor on her for a day and didn't see any immediate danger, but our purpose was to be able to track it and try to use the historical for some analysis of if there's any specific things triggering it that we can track, so we can try to minimize those things and be able to report back to the doctor if any further problems present themselves. I should have been more clear on that. No actual danger, the doctors didn't recommend constant monitoring, and this is primarily for personal curiosity.

Thanks for the advice though, guys! :)

Google Wear will not do anything like that, Fitbit does:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Yep, the stainless steel Sony 3 was just announced. I like it, I also think Android Wear is completely useless for meaningful fitness tracking which is why I look like a idiot wearing a Charge HR and a Pebble/G Watch all the time.

Wear needs to improve a lot, a whole lot to come close to the functionality of a Fitbit Charge HR or Jawbone UP3, it's hard to even consider them barely in the same category as it is.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

It's a whole separate movement called the "quantified self" that wearables just happen to fit into perfectly. I dunno, I'm not trying to lose weight yet I weigh myself every morning with a WiFi scale, I don't have trouble sleeping yet I check my sleep every morning, there is just something oddly completely satisfying about being able to measure yourself and plot and track that data.

Why do I track my runs every night? I'm fitter than most people, fitter than my doctor would expect me to be and yet I really, really, really care for some reason if I run 5k in 27 minutes instead of 24 for some reason.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd be more inclined to get into fitness trackers if they were good for something other than running, but they won't track how much I deadlifted or how quickly, so meh. Still I don't get how Wear can be so rubbish at it, surely these devices can do anything a simple band can do, but apparently not.

Yeah, I run so that probably plays into a lot of why I like them. As for being rubbish at it, I think it is mostly because they don't care, counting steps is theoretically easy to do, in practice it takes a whole lot of work to filter out a lot of noise in the data and they just don't seem interested in doing anything but hitting the check box in the feature list right now

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

eyebeem posted:

I bike and lift, so fitness trackers aren't really my bag. I use my watch to tell strava to start a bike ride, but other than that, I'm using a nice Garmin Edge on my handlebars and a HR strap on my chest to actually track everything. At the gym, I couldn't really care less what my heart rate is, but I do use my watch to control music.

I feel like it is probably a huge YMMV based on skin tone and individually physiology but I am really, really impressed by the HR monitor on the Charge HR, I am getting completely consistent accurate reads running and biking with it and I like it a whole lot more than wearing a chest strap.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

The biggest complaints I saw was that it seemed to take some time to detect a rise when you started a workout, have you seen that at all? Are you comparing Charge HR vs a chest strap?

Once or twice maybe, I don't see any issues in the phone data log so I think there might sometimes be a slight delay in updating the screen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Otherwise, all they are good for is motivation and that's something that's highly person to person.

I mean really there are two markets right now for fitness trackers, there are people like me that are already fit and just want to obsess over data and then a secondary market of unfit people that seem to think fitness trackers are going to make them fit. Most, most people are in the second, I see so many fat people wearing them, they are going to be incredibly disappointed by them and why I think the often get a bad rep, the first market, poo poo, I've had a Forerunner with HR strap for over 10 years, every runner I know has been semi-obsessively tracking their runs forever even people like myself that aren't super serious about running but just run a few miles a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qVi_nF6y8

It seems like Fitbit is changing their marketing a bit to emphasise that as their target market, if you are already an active person you are probably going to be very happy quantifying data of activity or inactivity 24/7, if you aren't an active person it's not going to make you active just like that gym membership that you don't use doesn't.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

But like I said, that's really all just motivation stuff.

I mean, you say "obsess over the data" but what does that really mean? I get that you want to know that your run took you two minutes longer today than it did yesterday, but with the limited data set about all you can do with that is say "I'm going to try harder tomorrow." So, basically, just motivation.

When you break it down to motivation, it really doesn't matter who the target market is for. It's more along the lines of if you are someone who is motivated to outdo yourself on a daily basis or if you simply don't care. I mean, one of my friends isn't a fitness guy nor is he in tip top shape, but a step tracker did WONDERS for him because he's obsessed with games (not just video games, but games in general.) That gave him a number to experiment with and track on a daily basis "What was my percentage in step increase if I used the bathroom on the next floor up rather than the one I'm on? OK, how does that change further if I drink 2 more glasses of water a day which would then cause me to go to the bathroom more often? Can I get just as proportional step change by doing something else in my daily routine?" and so forth. Getting the step tracker gave him something to game and therefore got him to drop 10lbs just messing around with it.

Fair enough point, but I mean you could say that about anything. I guess my point is I don't know a single fit person that isn't constantly trying to quantify their fitness in some way and improve upon it, fitness trackers give you some sort of metric to help with that. I guess my point is more that most people are either motivated by fitness or they aren't, if they are and you give them something else to track they will track it and try and improve on it, Fitbit is good for that but it's like the January gym phenomenon, if you really wanted to start going to the gym you wouldn't just start in January, there is not some sort of magical fitness alignment of the planets that happens at the first of the year, it just means you are going to start going even though you know you won't enjoy it and you will eventually quit. Same with Fitbit, if you are actually motivated by trying to improve your fitness you will enjoy it but you are probably already other things, a fair part of the market seems to think that a fitness tracker is going to make them fit somehow and it doesn't work like that.

I think one of the most true points I heard about fitness trackers was a doctor bitching about the fact that almost all of the people that actually reliable use them are the ones that doctors are least concerned about the health of and the people that they actually want to be using them just don't bother.

quote:

To make any useful metrics out of extensive data like that, you also need to be obsessively tracking things like diet, sleep, stress levels, environmental factors, etc. When you start getting down to that level, you are really just flat out training and not casually tracking fitness data.

Just to block that out, I don't think that is true, I can absolutely tell a difference in my runs based on more casual factors, when I last did it, how much I ate, how much sleep I got, pace, how much other exercise I got. Is it helpful data? Eh, I can't say that I use it to change things that much but it definitely makes me more conscious of them.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 6, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Didn't everyone that has touched it so far say it is the useless piece of poo poo that you would expect? Even the reviews of the Samsung watch phone, something from a company that arguably knows what they were doing said the concept is poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have a Fitbit question! I have never bought an exercise wearable and it looks like I'll probably end up with the Charge HR. My question is: what size should I go for? I looked on the website and it seems that I fall under a large (my wrist being a ghastly 7") but the extra large seems to start at 7.5". Do Fitbits run large or small? Would I be safe ordering the correct size, or will it end up being on the snugger side of things?

Pretty sure true to size, there is some overlap between sizes. Not to be mean but are you really overweight? As far as I can tell the XL is really for obese people with fat wrists, if your wrist has a normal taper it should be comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Overweight but not obese! I am 5'11 and 190, I assumed the XL size would be way too large, however I read a review on Amazon about a guy who bought the large and ended up not being satisfied with it due to the fit and that has gotten me all turned around.

Amazon sizing guidance is really, really flawed because delusional overweight people skew things even worse to vanity sizing. I bought a jacket a few weeks ago that almost every review said "Fits true to size", I bought small, it was comically large on me, like I looked like a kid playing dress up in Dad's clothing and while I a trim guy I'm not a twink or anything.

Honestly I can't imagine you needing the XL, they are seriously for really obese people, maybe a handful of bodybuilders, that's why they don't even carry them in store anywhere.