Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Pjl31cyDY

Well, that's one way to keep Glass in the spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/posts/379469

Looks like Pebbles making its debut at CES.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Pebble livestream starts in 5 minutes: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2432013/CES2013

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I'd have to try it on, but I think it's possible that if the Hint isn't too stupid looking I'd rather have that then a 360 or any other smartwatch.

Thermopyle posted:

There no way I'm going to want the majority of my notifications to show up on my watch.

New texts, hangouts, caller ID, Google Now. That's it.

The hidden assumption here is that everything which shows up on the watch necessarily has to alert you which isn't the case. Silent notifications from the phone appear without vibration/waking up the screen, which functionally makes them more akin to pseudo-Now cards. From my time with the G Watch I've found that you generally do want as much as possible from the phone, provided the sound/priority/actions are accidentally/purposely appropriate. Its that last part which is the crux of the matter given the lack of approval process. I guess as long as at least one edge-case Wear owner exists on dev teams things could sort themselves out eventually.

The way I'd describe Wear's purpose VS a traditional watch is that it changes the question from "What's the time?" to "What's the context?". The problem is the lack of context producers for it to consume from. The dream of chips/beacons etc embedded everywhere still hasn't been fully realized. To make a metaphor of the situation: its sort of like a magic, auto-activating right click menu for the world, except nothing in the world actually has a menu yet.

The one piece of context wearables can uniquely create is Body context aka "Quantified Self", but Wear devices have barely touched this due to battery/cost constraints.

baka kaba posted:

Any word on what these things are running? L developer preview? I'm just wondering if the Project Volta battery gains stuff (and whatever ART helps with, although it might be under the same umbrella) is in place yet

It's in between, API 20 aka KitKat Watch. L will be 21.

bull3964 posted:

Always-on tanks the battery of all the android wear smart watches on the market and likely will continue to do so without a drastic breakthrough in screen tech.

The P-OLED in the G Watch R apparently has an integrated circuit to do just that, with LG promising 2 days always on when asked elsewhere. The G watch easily meets it 1 day promise with its always on/ambient screen active so its safe to take them at their word.

I find Ambient mode to be one of the most useful parts of Wear. More often than not you catch things in your gaze which you otherwise wouldn't have considered. It sounds trivial but in practice it's pretty much the physical embodiment of Google Now (especially so when a random Now card snippets display on the Watch face). Yes you can turn it off for more battery, but it completely changes the feel of the device, almost to the point where I'd say its crippled without it. And given the G Watch can last up to a day and a half with it on the trade off isn't worth it.

Naturally, the 360 is out of the question for me on that basis. Then again I'm willing to completely forgo the fashion aspect and have what amounts to a mini screen on my wrist (though to its credit being utilitarian to a fault actually makes it blend in. That said the biggest ongoing problem I see with square watches vs round is that there's much more variance in who will find it comfortable since they're far more dependent on the shape of the wrist. G Watch fits me just fine, so worksforme/won't fix.

Three Olives posted:

I think this is where Apple might not gently caress up watches, do it right or just don't bother.

I think the problem is there needs success across multiple dimensions executed at the same time and thats where Apple's integrated approach shines VS modular. Given the newness of the market, there's a requirement for custom silicon so there are things only Apple can pull off in terms of engineering prowess or at the very least economies of scale, since it allows them to make tradeoffs the modular players can't match yet. I'm most interested in what they do with the biometrics sensor. If its plain old Healthkit data collection and nothing else fair enough, though that's essentially a diet plan with a battery. It'll be more interesting if they're able to rig up some new use cases/interaction models built on top of the sensors.

kitten smoothie posted:

Motorola pushed an update to the Moto Connect app for the 2013/2014 phones to add Moto 360 integration, and they've gone totally amateur hour with it.

If you pair an Android Wear device, regardless of make/model, to a Motorola phone, the phone assumes the Wear device is a 360 and uploads the Motorola watchfaces and apps to it.

Oh yeah, in addition to cluttering up the watch, it will crash your watch if you should mistakenly use any of them.

Sure Motorola could have not bundled their faces with the Connect app, but that would mean the only way they could update them/add more would be to wait for a Wear update. I'd blame this more on Google, since they should really offer a OEM-only interface in their Play services layer which allows OEMs to restrict the deployment of the bundled Wear apps to their own devices.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I would have figured Motorola could have pushed a small sentinel app to the watch whose purpose is to just check the build.prop to confirm 360ness and report back, then use the result from that to decide whether to push the rest.

Hmm, but when would they get the chance? Play services scavenges the directory of installed APKs for wearable apps and pushes as soon as it gets a match. Moto could use that technique within the app itself to disable it (and thats probably what they'll do), but its still kind of gross that it gets installed at all.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread. Maybe try one of the exercise forums or something.

Thermopyle posted:

Because, this thread is going to have people familiar with Android Wear, Google Glass, Apple stuff, Pebble, and the like. Those certainly can't do what you're looking for.

You're going to find people who use something more specialized like what you're looking for elsewhere.

Technically he's right, "Wearables" does stand for "Smartwatches and Activity trackers" the same way "Mobile" stands for "Smartphones and Tablets". I think the situation is a lot like the Windows 8 Tablet thread and the iOS/Android Games threads where the location really comes down to editorial call.

I'd argue the other two options (Watch thread in YLS or someone creating a new thread in YLS) aren't as good a fit as IYG. The Watch thread is about goons doing their best to make you feel inadequate so tracker talk would be off topic. While a thread in YLS "works" since a fraction of people into exercise/fashion will be into trackers, you can just as well say the reverse - a fraction of people into gadgets will be into gadgets specializing in health/exercise.

Keeping trackers in the same thread as smartwatches makes sense because they both make up the general category of "bluetooth stuff on your body for your phone". And the same people in the market for Smartwatches with integrated health functions are likely the same people who already have a Fitbit/Jawbone/Basis etc so can do direct comparisons. Plus it'll also be useful to have a place to redirect all the Healthkit/Google Fit device talk once that stuff ramps up. If nothing else its relevant to the parallel smartwatch conversation since one of their functions will be to serve as the hub for other bluetooth wearable stuff while the phone is out of commission (like in a locker at the gym).

There's probably more fitness goons in IYG than one would expect, there just hasn't been a compelling reason to center it all within a thread because up until this point all the products were siloed. Now the mobile ecosystems are extending into the space and beginning to integrate things there's more to discuss. Changing the title to something more concrete might bring more people out of hiding (something like "Smartwatch, Activity tracker and Glass-thingy megathread") and worst comes to worst and it gets overpowering the activity tracking stuff can always be spun out into a separate thread.

smackfu posted:

I agree that this might be the wrong thread, but here's one: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Strapless-Continuous-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00BJ6HLDI

And review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/monitor-bluetooth-smartant.html

I think those optical heart rate sensors are starting to get into all sorts of watches now (including general smartwatches), so a dedicated heart rate unit may not be the most affordable choice.

With integrated Smartwatches there's a battery trade off to be made so they probably won't replace them completely. I think why he needs the Heart rate data is an important factor as there may be alternatives which don't do monitoring at all/don't do it during workouts which would still essentially pull of the job he's trying to do. Until products start being designed for Healthkit/Google Fit from the ground up + technology improves you're pretty much forced to satisfice.

#1 is iffy because the most data capable monitors are only water resistant (not waterproof). They can theoretically only get by with surface swimming if you don't push buttons but its a stretch. And much of the waterproof health monitors generally require a band for the actual health rate monitoring.

#2-4 suggests he's primarily looking for a comprehensive all day tracker, in which case the Basis B1 Carbon Steel is the best bet will even do the heart rate graphing. Its heart rate monitor isn't suited for workouts but it will still do the next best thing and detect the shift and plot down the rest of the data it can. It's worth waiting though because Intel went ahead and pre- announced that a successor with better battery life/better looks is due November.

If he's optimizing on workout tracking a SWOLF watch like Garmin Swim to complement a Basis/Jawbone/Fitbit etc could be the way to go.

(All this assumes Thermopyle hasn't permanently scared him off and he comes back to clarify at some point though).

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

there has been (nearly?) zero discussion of such things here.

Well, there was relatively zero discussion of anything until the Moto 360/Apple Watch hit so that's not the best metric.

quote:

He specifically said he is not interested in bluetooth stuff for your phone.

KingEup posted:

No I do not. I don't even care if it has a screen. It doesn't even have to tell the time. Those four characteristics I listed are the only features I'm interested in.

Seems more like he was saying he didn't care about the accessory having typical smartwatch features, not that he didn't want Bluetooth stuff at all. Hence #4:

quote:

4. It must be able to upload my heart rate readings to another device so I can plot them on a graph over time.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Tunga posted:

Has anyone done a (vaguely) scientific battery comparison of the 360 against the G Watch / Gear Live. Have read reports of it being everywhere from fine to unusably terrible.

Closest thing would be Ars' stress test which pegs it at about half the G Watch which generally meshes well with the anecdotes so far. There was variance in the G Watch reviews too with some saying 1 day and others 2 days.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I would say the biggest thing I want from wear right now is the ability to hide cards without dismissing them. I would like, say, my weather card or drive home card be something I could always access by swiping up, but I really don't want real estate taking up space on my clock screen unless it's an active notification. Right now, the only thing I can do is swipe those cards away which makes them disappear on the phone as well. I don't find that to be ideal.

Basically, I want to keep Now cards around on both the watch and phone, just not have it be an active notification.

By "real estate taking up space" do you mean it has the potential of blocking other important notifications or that it makes analog watchfaces on the 360 harder to read? The former is a non-issue since there's only two situations where passive Now cards can hit the top of the stream/the face: 1) When all other non-Now cards are old/stale. In that case just looking at the Now card marks it old/stale also, meaning it gets re-sorted/shifted off the face as soon as the watch goes inactive again/you manually sleep the watch. 2) The stream only has Now cards, in which case there's nothing better to see anyway.

If it's the later that seems to be a losing battle regardless of Now, as the UI model seems to necessitate that being the case as Wear begins to do more over time.

Three Olives posted:

No but iHeartRadio hasn't pushed out their big update with Wear support and they have been very clear that it was coming out on the 15th specifically so I'm still holding out hope.

Nevermind, it is out, well I am kind of disappointed. :(

Android Police owner says November 3rd: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts

Plus we can infer a lot of features from the Lollipop developer changelog which will be released tomorrow. Maybe they'll even throw in a Wear 2.0 emulator image.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
I just got the update and some other things AP haven't reported on yet:

1. There's a new transport controls screen attached to all Phone/on-Watch Music notifications which replaces the "single control on multiple screens" which came before. Screengrab:

2. The way the Play Music Wear app (bundled with the Songza update) works is that it does an all or nothing sync of Downloaded/Pinned stuff on the phone after forcing an explicit opt-in in Play Music Settings. I could see it being untenable if you were already a heavy user of pinning on the phone as there's no way to separate the two.

3. The new "Play Music" voice action seems hard wired to opening "I'm Feeling Lucky" in Play Music on the phone at the moment, even when you explicitly switch away from "On Phone" in the Android Wear app.

Aphrodite posted:

Can a phone actually connect to 2 Android Wear devices?

Nope, one at a time.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Tunga posted:

Any suggestions?

In terms of availability/support its best to narrow it down to a choice between a Fitbit device and a Jawbone device.

An important constraint you missed is "has a companion app with a suitable interaction model for intended use". In this case that's Jawbone UP app hands down. The problem with other leading tracker apps is that they assume a fair bit of self-direction on the part of the user so more casual users quickly fall into a "so now what?" pitfall which they never climb out of.

UP is positioned more like an assistant and does stuff like pro-actively explaining trends, pulling up relevant health facts, suggesting step/sleep goals. Closest analogue I can think of is "the Google Now of fitness". It's pretty much a perfect fit for the "give me something that will make walking more fun" that's she's probably really asking for. (On the flip side, UP's opinionated display/lack of options are exactly what make those devices a bad choice if you need augmented gym stats/are a quantified self junkie). From there UP24 would be the most literal interpretation of the rest of those constraints, except it's not a watch (has no display at all). Are you sure it has to be wrist bound? Women have an advantage in that they can clip stuff to bra straps, so the UP Move could work too and would have the advantage of not needing a charge every 2 weeks.

Regardless if her phone is an iPhone/has a step counter you could suggest she try out the Fitbit & UP apps ahead of time, then pick a tracker which matches the app she prefers. That would shift the burden of choice to her.

Three Olives posted:

Yes, it's stupid, don't buy it, it should not exist, get the Flex or the Charge HR.

Three Olives posted:

There is only like a $20 price difference between the Charge HR and Charge and in in addition to HR the device is slightly smaller and has a much better clasp than the Charge.

Do not buy the Charge, if you want the display just spring spend the extra $20, otherwise get the Flex.

The Charge is rated at 2-5 days more battery life than the Charge HR and Aria, so in Tunga's case where the person doesn't value heart rate it seemingly makes more sense to pay less and optimize for battery. I guess it depends how bad the worse clasp is (you seem to have first hand experience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Shofixti posted:

Very basic questions as I consider getting a wearable: can you program a FitBit Charge 5 to vibrate if your heart rate falls below a certain threshold while exercising? I need nudges when I exercise and I’ve liked treadmills because your running speed is sort of forced upon you. I’m trying to replicate that experience outside. Does it have any other tricks along those lines?

Charge 5 pretty much does what you want automatically via its Zone notifications (Fat burn -> Cardio -> Peak)