Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I picked up a Versa Lite yesterday and one of the features I wanted it for isn't working right.

I can't seem to keep the watch paired with my phone (Pixel 2) to have music controls. When I go into the settings, it says Bluetooth is off. I set it to pair, connect my phone, and the controls come up. I'm able to pause and skip tracks. Minutes later, it says "no phone connected" and when I check Bluetooth in the settings, it's back to "off".

Anything I'm missing? Otherwise, I think I'm going to return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Oh hey, we're walking the same path!

I ended up returning it and getting an Inspire HR and wearing it with my old Timex Weekender as a watch. Killed all the notifications, just use it for activity tracking.

Things I don't like about it:
-it sticks up a bit proud and tends to dig into my bony wrist at times, especially when sleeping (I turn it to the inside of my wrist at night, now).
-doesn't recognize me doing aerobics automatically and there is no generic exercise activity for me to start (there was on the Versa).
-the screen keeps turning on randomly despite being set to manual. No idea what's causing it.
-I keep having to answer "why are you wearing two watches." gently caress you, that's why.

I do like the app, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does this Garmin get notifications? I can't tell from the website.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/582444

It says "smartphone connectivity", but I'm unclear if that just means syncing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This seems like a stupid question (and the wrong thread?), but:
I have a FitBit Inspire HR and an Android phone. I use Strava and the FitBit app (and occasionally the Google Fit app, but not much). I have no idea how to track a session on a stationary bike.

Strava doesn't have anything in the app. I can log into the website and log it as an "indoor" ride, but that's not really the same thing.

The FitBit app doesn't have the function to track anything beyond a walk, a run, or a hike. I can manually add an exercise, but no option about riding a stationary bike. The app picks up my elevated heart rate, but doesn't designate it as an "exercise".

When I added an indoor ride in Strava, it syncs with FitBit, but, like, several hours off from when I exercised and double counts my calories burned.

I can track a stationary bike ride in Fit, but that doesn't sync with Strava or FitBit, and is thus useless for me.

Doing an after-the-fact indoor ride in Strava is my best bet, but there has got to be an easier way to say that I exercised on a stationary bike in either a fitness tracking app or a cycling app!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Does the fitbit app have an option for spinning or a spinner? With my charge 2, in the app you can go to exercise shortcuts and add spinning.

Aha!

:cheers:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Glad I didn't keep mine, then!

(spent a week swimming on vacation with my Inspire HR, including in salt water, without any issues)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Untrustable posted:

At my job I actually have to submit what watch I'm using and they check what features it has (stupid federal employee poo poo). I got away with the Gear because it was so old none of the notification functionality worked anymore (hence using OpenFit to sync the data to Google Health).

I saw this recently. I didn't dig in deep enough to know if it requires a phone to run or if it can sync at the end of the day.

3D Fitness Tracker & Real Time Audio Coach, Moov Now:Swimming Running Water Resistant Activity Calories Tracker with Sleep Monitor, Bluetooth Smart Wristband for Android and iOS, Stealth Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX26IP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-LZiDb14TZY8K

Saw it here:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/guidemaster-best-fitness-trackers/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't have a rash, but I somehow pinched my skin and got a tiny blister from the band.

Mine wouldn't keep synced with my music player and give me music controls for more than five seconds. I didn't really use the smartphone features much. Ended up with an Inspire HR instead.

The Versa had more manual exercise modes and it was easier to set timers. Otherwise, I don't regret the choice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was going to put one on the Versa if I decided to keep it, which would be the first screen protector I've used in a decade.

I don't have on my Inspire HR cause it's cheap and discrete enough to not give a gently caress. I don't really look at that screen very much, anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wear watches on the inside of my wrist (that's how my dad did it) and scratch the poo poo out of them when sitting at desks and banging the faces as I type.

I scratch my watches more than my phones.

I also buy cheap watches, so, meh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For a month or two, I've been asked to log into my Fitbit app every few days, maybe going 1.5 weeks at most. Before that, I never had to log in. Anyone else having this issue?

Running Android 10 on a Pixel 2.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've never really felt a desire for a smartwatch, but $40 is cheap and has me wondering: What exactly are the use cases of a smartwatch?

I liked the health stuff, but seeing as I haven't gone to the gym since March, it's less useful these days.

The #1 most unexpected usage for me is having it vibrate when my phone rings. I was constantly missing calls, usually cause I would lower the volume at work and not increase it at home.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just throwing this out there: my Bluetooth OBDII dongle won't work if I'm wearing my FitBit. Are there other Bluetooth devices in the house that could be interfering?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

codo27 posted:

theres a known issue with the android app if you can believe it.

:aaaaa:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm by no means an expert on wearables, but while I couldn't get into a smart watch, I really like my Fitbit Inspire HR and Garmin has a similar device.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/605739

It does heart rate monitoring, sleep tracking, and vibrates when I get a phone call while being (relatively) tiny on my wrist.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Probably not a wearables specific question, but my Fitbit Inspire HR takes some fiddling to get charging and I think it's because of dirt/sweat on the pogo pin spots on the back of the device. Any good way to clean those? I tried alcohol and a q-tip, which didn't help much.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Fitbit Inspire HR stopped working randomly and I'm not really in a position where I can drop $100+ on a new one or Garmin.

I can put up with manually tracking fitness, I kinda miss sleep and heart rate tracking, but I am mostly lost not having my wrist vibrate on notifications.

I see Amazon's version is $40, though I'm not super keen on Amazon getting my data.

Anything else in the under $40 range that is functional and won't sell my data to the Chinese government? I can live without heart rate monitoring.

I prefer a small fitness band over a smart watch.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

My Fitbit Inspire HR stopped working randomly and I'm not really in a position where I can drop $100+ on a new one or Garmin.

I can put up with manually tracking fitness, I kinda miss sleep and heart rate tracking, but I am mostly lost not having my wrist vibrate on notifications.

I see Amazon's version is $40, though I'm not super keen on Amazon getting my data.

Anything else in the under $40 range that is functional and won't sell my data to the Chinese government? I can live without heart rate monitoring.

I prefer a small fitness band over a smart watch.

Thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 5 or 6?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Good to know. I'm 50/50 SMS and Facebook Messenger. Phone is most important as those are more time sensitive.

Edit: seems like the 6 does any/all notifications, but the review I read says it displays them poorly on the small screen.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 11, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Fitbit Inspire HR just stopped working after 2+ years, so I got a Garmin vívosmart 4 as a replacement. I haven't used it exercising, yet, but I don't think I like it much day-to-day?

I really don't like how it handles notifications in general, which is one of my two main uses for it. On the Inspire, I could see a few lines of the message on the screen at a time that I would manually scroll and it would stay on there until I dismissed it. On the vívosmart, I get really big text running up the screen sideways (I'm lucky if it fits the contact's entire name) and I need to watch it until it starts scrolling to read the message and I can't stop it (if it's a 2FA code I want to copy), and if I twist my wrist to turn on the screen without looking, the message will go away.

Getting around the screen is a bit unintuitive. The double tap to start a timer never works first try. I miss having a physical button that would just take you to the home screen if you pressed it enough.

I have it set to show me the weather, which works about 30% of the time.

I don't know what it looks for to check "stress" levels, but it's wanted me to do relaxation exercises when I was sitting watching TV with a beer, which is about the most relaxed I could be barring when I do yoga.

The one time I used it to track a walk, I went 0.7 miles and it tracked 0.9 miles. That off by 29%.

It did know that my "battery" was at 0 the day after a party where I was hung over in bed until the afternoon, so that worked properly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

My Fitbit Inspire HR just stopped working after 2+ years, so I got a Garmin vívosmart 4 as a replacement. I haven't used it exercising, yet, but I don't think I like it much day-to-day?

More griping about this. Decided to check my sleep history and I've been getting 8 hours of sleep every night with a consistent bedtime! That includes the day I had a late Zoom chat with friends and went to bed 30 minutes later than it recorded. That includes when I saw The Matrix and wasn't even in my house until 1.5 hours after it said I went to bed. That includes Xmas morning when the dog woke me up at 2:30 am and I couldn't fall back asleep for like 3 hours after (recorded me as sleeping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

circular frames can look fantastic. it really depends on proportions, complexion, hair styling, and wardrobe.

So, I shouldn't get these...