Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Soundtoys is having a sale- Effect Rack is $100 and Bundle is $200. Is the bundle a significant upgrade over Effect Rack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nah, the effect rack that they're selling comes with 14 effects, but you can't drop them in as separate plugins - they have to be in the context of an effect rack. You can have multiple racks, so you could have decapitator (in a rack) then an ableton effect then echoboy (in another rack). But it's clunkier than just throwing in the plugin you want

I bought the bundle. TBH I probably shouldn't have bought it at all, and should've waited until I'm better at production but 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

So could you upgrade for cheap now?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I played with kontakt and reaktor players to see if I should get komplete 12 select or kontakt 6, and they both seemed really bad. Like, most of the instruments that came with them didn't make me want more, they made me want to use serum or ableton's analogue or vprom or whatever instead

And that's my story about not buying anything during NI's latest sales

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

VSTs need to have been compiled for mac. Many have versions for both platforms, but VST is a packaging format - the thing that's packaged needs to be for your operating system.

This also applies to VST3 and p much anything else

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh poo poo, Guitar Rig 6? I've been waiting for that. Thanks for the heads up!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Well this is the VST thread so things will need computers. If you have one, ableton lite is free-ish if you have one of the many pieces of hardware that gives it to you; I'm sure you could scrounge up a code for free or cheap.

If you're asking about hardware samplers I can't help much but I assume that the PO-33 is among the cheaper ones. I have no experience with it, though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

aw dang, it looks like NI sales don't stack with crossgrade discounts any more:

quote:

Please note that some upgrades and crossgrades for this product are currently disabled, as the full version is cheaper in the CYBER SEASON Sale.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

any specific ones you can recommend? i love serum but only mess with presets/random flailing. i feel like i know what's going on with subtractive synthesis but wavetable and fm both leave me just kind of randomly fiddling with knobs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought the big sound toys pack a year or so ago and i'm too bad at making music to know how to use stuff

would love some decapitated tips. it doesn't seem to do much to me v_v

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

it’s just so much easier to reach for a sawtooth.

THREAD TITLE

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the best way to make songs is by saying poo poo with your structure

ACAB (fan favorite!)

ABACADABBA

ABADABBA (add a "doot" at the end to make it extra spicy)

ABACABB

ABADDAD

"hey wtf dude how can you use a D if there's no C" you say

"shut up youre making my dumb joke worse" i respond

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tbh the only plug-in i've bought that has been actually worth it is serum. even the sound toys stuff, i play with it and it's fun but i hardly ever actually use it except to say i used it

oh guitar rig too but i mostly use it stand alone playing, not for recording my guitar

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Anything that helps develop structure and get pen onto paper is a good thing! The hardest part of composition is gaining a foothold onto something, anything, and building off of it is far easier than building off of nothing. Not that building off something into a full-fledged track is easy :gonk:

*mashes random button furiously*

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I was mostly curious about that since I think my USB slots are at a premium right now, unless they make USB splitters that would work.

you mean a hub? that should be fine. even if for some weird reason the ilok doesn't like hubs, everything else will be fine with it _especially_ if it's a powered hub

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

have you tried a different credit card?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok that's a "no" though

try a different card

actually it's a "kinda" since the old card worked fine

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

I don't have another CC, my bank said it's an issue with their store.

correct. the issue is that their store doesn't work with your credit card. that is why i keep suggesting to try a different one.

you could use a debit card i guess but i probably wouldn't do that due to the increased risk.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kontakt is a sampler. you buy both the sampler and the sets of samples. you can get a lot of things free, though, and if you're not interested in making your own samples and messing with them, kontakt player plays the sample sets you buy and is free

some sample sets require full kontakt, though, due to them including kind of preset type stuff in addition to basic "this is the sample file" stuff. i think.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dug out my crappy 61 key casio and am looking to upgrade to a decent midi keyboard. as such i am looking forward to the inevitable v-collection sale, cause i want cheap 80s synths dangit!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anyone have strong opinions on the arturia fx collection? there's some nice reverbs and such in there, and the juno chorus seems good. i already have the soundtoys stuff so im not sure the arturia stuff is must-have, but also it seems pretty good to me

also, i'm sure everyone knows this, but as a reminder: everybody is doing black friday stuff now. v-collection for like $200, i upgraded my soundtoys to get the new plate for $30, arturia fx collection is $70, etc. if there's anything you're interested in, there's a good chance it's half off.

e: well, everybody except TAL i guess (lol)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im definitely gonna buy that next black friday

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's showing as $199 to upgrade from v-collection 9

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm really liking the synths in it, it's just that the fact it's great to have _a_ v-collection doesn't imply that you need the _latest_ v-collection. same goes for all the packages (and daws), really. i can't even imagine paying half that, unless i'm really misunderstanding the difference between 9 and 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

boy it sure would have been stupid to buy V-collection 9 just a couple weeks ago, huh.

not really, i got v-collection 9 for $200. i only am being offered 10 for $200 because i have 9 (and some stuff i bought at the same time). if i hadn't bought 9, i also wouldn't have bought that other stuff. according to some forum post i found:

quote:

Arturia V Collection X is available now for 599€. Existing Arturia customers get a 100€ discount and can purchase it for 499€. There are also various upgrades/crossgrades available for existing customers:

V Collection 9 or Sound Explorer Collection 2 + 3 or 4 products of VCX = 99€
VC 9 (or SEC 2) + 1 or 2 products of VCX = 149€
Upgrade from VC 9 or SEC2 = 199€
Upgrade from VC 6, 7, 8 or SEC1 = 299€
Crossgrade from Pigments, or FX Collection, or 3+ software = 399€

so i'm still pretty pleased with my purchase of 9. i'll probably not be upgrading for a few versions, like splinter said, though. and either way i'll almost certainly wait until a big black friday or summer sale