Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this the thread for Reason Rack Extensions as well? Tell me which of these I should absolutely buy and in what order:

I kinda sorta have them ordered by what I feel like I need most in my bookmarks list but not completely.

I already have a few, like Uhbik A, Rob Papen's Predator and RPVerb, Korg's MonoPoly, Synapse's Antidote, Reason's Radical Piano etc.

I got rid of all my hardware gear so now I figure software is gonna be my new money sink :negative:

Some of these (like Stereo Splitter and Iridium Distortion Synth) are only $9, so obviously I'll probably go for those first since they're so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

wizkid posted:

Might not be the best thread for this, but Reason 9.5 will support VSTs :aaa:

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95
This is reeeeeeally loving good news for me. I'm on Reason 9.4 now and I've been hoping for VST support for literally several years. There were a couple years where I jumped ship and used Ableton with VSTs, but Reason was my first DAW and always has my heart. Rack Extensions helped because they were like Reason-ified versions of existing VSTs, but this is even better. So much better.

Oh god, I'm gonna feel so much more reason (heh) to create now :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

While not technically a VST, the Europa shapeshifting synth looks really exciting for anyone upgrading to Reason 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hpzm7KqKUQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: I bought Grind and Replicant 2 from AudioDamage but I'm trying to load them in Reason 10 and they never load. Reason only accepts VST2 64-bit files, so I made sure to install the VST2 64-bit versions of both, and I installed them to Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins where all my other VSTs are located and Reason is loading all my other VSTs just fine but not these.

Any ideas?

Somehow Fuzz Plus 3 by AudioDamage loads just fine but these never do. I've tried moving them to different directories (but still having Reason scan for those), deleting both the DLLs and the preset directory out of ProgramData and reinstalling them, setting them to "Enabled" in Reason's Manage Plugins window and quitting and restarting, etc. but nothing seems to work so far. I thought it might be a license thing, but AudioDamage doesn't seem to have a section on their site to download license keys for your products like, say, ValhallaDSP does for example.

I sent them a support email telling them all this, so hopefully they'll be able to give me some method I haven't tried.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wasn't sure how worth it EchoBoy would be for me even on sale, but I saw this and bought it immediately:

https://twitter.com/ISO50/status/980973048302989317

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrSargent posted:

Tycho went to my High School (was a while before my time though) and is from the same little town I am from so I am definitely a fan. His style of music is unique with great production.
Yeah, I've been a fan of his for over a decade now (back when he was pigeonholed as the poor man's Boards of Canada) and seen him live like 4 or 5x. There was one time I saw him where his main synth (or maybe multiple synths) was giving him trouble so it was mostly guitar, bass and drums, which was less impressive, but every other time I've seen him he's owned. His visuals are top notch too.

I'm already digging the hell out of EchoBoy. It's super useful on the one track I've used it on so far. Now the real question is do I go this route:

I'm assuming that's the sale price? Because I looked at the prices of all of the included plugins separately and that's an insane deal :stare:

Not sure how that's even possible though, because here it says the sale price of the whole bundle is $399:

If I upgraded from a $50 plugin to the whole bundle for $150 more, I'd be paying $200 less than the sale price for the bundle.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 3, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...you guys weren't kidding, that actually was the price to upgrade to the Soundtoys bundle :stare: I did it and now I have like 15+ new VSTs to play with. Jesus gently caress hahaha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trig Discipline posted:

Y'all there's a flash sale on SoundToy's FilterFreak:

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/filterfreak/https://www.soundtoys.com/product/filterfreak/

Normally $149, now $29, and universally agreed to be excellent.
All of Soundtoys' poo poo is amazing and I'm still blown away that I got the whole bundle for as cheap as I did. Feels like I stole it but I actually didn't.

I've been using a few of their plugins on every track of the album I'm currently working on, especially Decapitator which does wonders for certain instruments. I don't know how I used to make music without it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

None of the VSTs I use give me any issues except for Ozone 8's various modules, but then again, I'm not using an audio interface when I really should be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My friend who runs a studio loving swears by Waves but I've never once gotten their stuff to run on my machine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trig Discipline posted:

Soundtoys just put a whole bunch of stuff on sale: https://www.soundtoys.com/product/
And you should buy it all if you know what's good for you!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

I couldn't have finished my new album without the SoundToys bundle. Or at least made it sound the way it did.

And the Arturia V Collection. And FabFilter ProQ 2. And the Ozone 8 Maximizer.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 11, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrSargent posted:

For anyone that was on the fence about upgrading to the full Soundtoys bundle, check your e-mail if you already have a couple plugins and a membership because they just sent me an additional $30 coupon, essentially forcing me to upgrade right now.
Doooooooooo ittttttttttttttt

Can't imagine my workflow without it now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Plavski posted:

I decapitate all the things
Just the way science intended :science:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got this email, in case you don't already own the Soundtoys stuff:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I went from not using an audio interface (just using my laptop by itself) to getting an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) back at the end of June when I was finishing up mastering my new album because Ozone 8 was causing my DSP to fill up and Reason would flat out refuse to play songs because my computer was too slow. Getting the audio interface didn't help at all :shepicide:

I played around with the buffer and that didn't help either. Also switched to an ASIO driver when I got the audio interface, which didn't seem to make a difference either. I have a pretty decent laptop (an i7 with 16GB of RAM) and no other VST does that to me, just Ozone. I don't know if Reason is really poorly optimized or Ozone is, but it just refused to cooperate consistently. Certain Ozone modules like the Maximizer were less taxing, but stuff like the Vintage Tape? Forget about it.

I think I ended up having to listen to snippets while I could (before Reason refused to play any more), make the adjustments I needed to and just disable Ozone until I was ready to bounce the track and then re-enable it, because for whatever reason, bouncing with Ozone enabled is fine but playing the track with it enabled isn't???

If it's a Reason issue, I fuckin' hope they patch it soon so that it isn't, because otherwise I'm just gonna have the exact same problems with whatever the next project I work on is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Quick poll: What's everyone's preferred or most-used, essential Soundtoys plugin? I'm looking to get Crystallizer, but if there's another one that's also super useful in composition, I'll check it out.
On my latest album, I think I ended up using Decapitator on literally every instrument on every track (or close to it, at least) in some way or another hahaha

Runner up might be Little AlterBoy? I only used it on one track, but man, did it nail exactly the kind of effect I was hoping for!

I'm pretty sure I used EchoBoy a fair amount too.

They're all worth messing around with, if I'm being honest. Get the bundle if you can because it contains an insane amount of useful stuff. But if you've only got money for one, I'd say get Decapitator. You'll never be able to go without it once you start working with it, or at least that was the case for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

curried lamb of God posted:

also reminding everyone that the Soundtoys bundle is deeply discounted if you have some of their freebie plugins. I was able to "upgrade" to the complete bundle for $190 last year despite only owning three freebies
I did something similar. I think I bought one of their cheap plugins and they emailed me an offer to upgrade to the complete bundle (which costs $499 right now) for like less than half of regular price. I thought it was too good to be true and there was a catch somewhere, but nope, it worked :eyepop:

So if you can only get one during the Black Friday sale, maybe get Decapitator or Crystallizer or FilterFreak and upgrade to the full bundle later on if you like the one you get (and you will).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I noticed a bunch of Soundtoys stuff is on sale right now. I was thinking of picking up something since I keep hearing great things about Filterfreak and Decapitator. I mainly kind of make ambient or at least beatless electronica right now, do you think either of these would be worthwhile investments?
For what it's worth, I make electronic/ambient stuff, and now that I have Decapitator, I never want to go without it again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

algebra testes posted:

Decapitator was on sale for 50 bux just now at Soundtoys.

Never bought anything so fast in my life.
Once you start using Decap, you're never going to stop! Such a good use of money.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oldstench posted:

Is Decapitator that good? All the youtube videos I can find on it are pretty terrible. How does it sound on synths?
It sounds good on everything! Leads, pads, drums, pianos, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WOW, Reason got a new update (10.3) that massively improved VST performance.

I'm loading up tracks from my last album that maxed out my DSP before & now they're barely using any of it :eyepop: This owns.

They're gonna drive me to work on a new album even sooner with this! Haha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been working on stuff the past couple days for the first time in a while, and yeah, my most used VSTs are Shimmer, ProQ2 and Decapitator. Well, for effects at least. I've been using Arturia's V Collection for just about all my synth sounds.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

2DCAT posted:

I like VintageVerb quite a bit more
Yeah I'd recommend Vintage over Room if I had to pick from the 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can y'all tell me about Artillery? I saw it featured in this Reverb video yesterday and it looks like one of those plugins that once I get, I'd never be able to live without:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCKJVtRZVo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Valhalla Delay rules. I've only used it on a couple instruments so far but it's magnificent just like Valhalla's other products. It's simple and easy to use. I'm definitely gonna use it more in the future.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah this is probably the answer, Valhalla presets always have the mix default at 100%, whereas a lot of other delay plugins I use usually start at 50% (I think? I can't remember now), so you usually have to carve down the mix at least a little if it's on an fx send, moreso if it's an insert plugin.
Wait it defaults at 100% for you? They've always defaulted at 50% for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jonny Nox posted:

So Plugin Boutique has all the elements level software from Isotope for $50 till July 8.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/39-FX-Bundle/5469-iZotope-Music-Essentials-Bundle

My question is: is Izotope even any good? I feel like it is, but that might be because SonicState plugs for them a LOT. I have ozone elements and vocal doubler and I find the first thing I do when I make changes to a track is to go through and disable all the iZotope stuff I have in the project because I can't deal with the input delay they introduce.

am I crazy?
If your PC is up to it, I think they're worth it. I'm currently working on the finishing touches of an EP I'm about to release and I have Vintage EQ, Vintage Tape and Maximizer in my master channel for every track. I don't use them on individual instruments, but I can definitely hear a noticeable improvement using them in my master channels.

You gotta use them sparingly though, of course. It's not hard to push them too far and then they start loving up your sound.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used Ozone on my latest EP and I mixed as loud as I could without the individual instruments sounding lovely/clipping. Kept the Maximizer's threshold at 0.0 and the ceiling at -1.0 because I've heard SoundCloud and other streaming services can distort the sound if you don't leave a decibel of headroom.

I'd play the song, watch the graph for peaks, and if I saw any, I'd track down the offending instrument and mix it lower (or if that instrument needed to be up front in the mix, keep that the highest it can go without peaking and mix everything else lower than that). Rinse and repeat until there aren't any more peaks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Do you guys only put Ozone on as a final step only, or do you tend to mix into it as you go along?
For my most recent project, I used it as I went along. I didn't before because it'd spike my DSP and cause tracks to stutter and poo poo. But Reason put out a patch that vastly improved VST performance, so now I can keep it activated the whole time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

apatheticman posted:

So reason announced its basically starting its slow pivot to plug ins.

Now you can use reason rack extensions and other stuff as plug ins in your favorite DAW starting september 25th.

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new

I dont know if that's exciting to anyone...
It's exciting to me as a Reason user of 12 years. A couple of the stock Combinator pianos are my favorite pianos I've ever used. No other piano plugins have sounded as good to me. Now I can use those pianos in Ableton, which I've been hoping for for years. I might actually be able to feasibly build a live set now!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oldstench posted:

Apparently I can update Decapitator to the whole Soundtoys 5 Bundle for $164. Are the other effects worth it?
Yeah. Decapitator is the most worth it IMO, but the others are helpful too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tayter Swift posted:

Lollllll NI and Arturia both released freebie reverbs for Christmas.
Arturia's site must be getting hammered. I'm trying to get it and the site's slow as poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oldstench posted:

Raum is very, very good.
I played around with it a little last night and it seemed really good, yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Would any of y'all happen to know why Decapitator stopped functioning properly on me all of a sudden? I can open it just fine, but once it's open, clicking on any of the knobs to move them doesn't work. I can still push the buttons (like Punish, Settings, Information and Bypass) just fine, it's just the knobs aren't working.

I'm running it in the latest version of Reason 10 and it's worked fine for me for like 2 years up until yesterday.

Also, all my Decapitator settings in my tracks have been preserved, it's just I can't change them at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Have you tried standard computer troubleshooting stuff, like reinstalling the plugin and/or checking if the drive it's on might be failing?
I checked my drive with CrystalDiskInfo and it's all good. I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling yet because I don't want to lose all my settings :negative:

e: But yeah, it's gotta be the plugin itself because I just tried it in Ableton and got the same result :(

And all the Soundtoys plugins seem to be doing the same thing, ugh

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 12, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Doesn't it keep those as presets in a separate folder?

Also your DAW should remember the settings within its project files. It won't know that the VST it's interacting with was reinstalled.
Huh, so uninstalling/reinstalling did seem to fix it, and my settings seem to have been preserved too. Now I feel silly! Haha

Thanks for the tip!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I already used it in one of the tracks from my forthcoming EP :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

quote:

It’s a single, self-contained plug-in that comes preloaded with 14 full-featured Soundtoys effects that you can use within the Rack* including EchoBoy and PrimalTap for delay, Decapitator and Radiator for rich analog saturation, and powerful rhythmic modulation and filtering from Tremolator and FilterFreak.

I would imagine they are, since it says it comes preloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

apatheticman posted:

Reason is doing a 30 day trial, if you dont want to use it as a Daw it also comes as the plug in.
It's the main DAW I've been working with for 12+ years now and I'd definitely recommend it :)

Try it out! It's free!