Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mindphlux posted:

Hachiguchi Junior - My favorite ITP japanese/sushi joint outside of MF's sphere of ridiculousness finally has its liquor license back, all is right with the world. They were on a rollercoaster wave of unsurity re:openness for the better part of a year, but they seem to be going strong every time I've been in the last few months.

What do you think of Rain (Japanese / Thai off of Cheshire Bridge and Lindbergh / La Vista)? I love getting a sashimi appetizer combined with a curry...
http://rainatlantaga.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mindphlux posted:

Is it good? I really shy away from combo sushi & generic asian places, just because in my experience they don't do either well. (thai coon, anyone?) A co-worker of mine recommended Rain, but just haven't ever made it in.

My wife and I like it, but it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about, which is why I was curious to get a second opinion (and calibrate whether I have to try out
Hachiguchi Junior or not).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DigitalHeretic posted:

I'm going to cry if this is the best Thai in Atlanta. :( I guess I was just spoiled coming from Seattle and Denver.

Eh, I prefer Rain (right down the street from Little Bangkok) and Nan (which is admittedly pricier):
http://rainatlantaga.com/
http://www.nanfinedining.com/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mickeymickey posted:

Oh dear God, thank you both. I will avoid the crappy Chinese restaurant and get my rear end up Buford Highway. There's nothing quite like a nice big steaming bowl of pho, especially on a cloudy day.

While Buford Highway definitely has more authentic pho, the Moto restaurant at Cheshire Bridge and Old Lenox Road is probably closer and pretty good (although it's been a while since I was there, and they are in a location that is death to restaurants, so you never know):
http://motovietnamesegrill.net/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

angst emotion posted:

Thread, can you recommend a place for dim sum? I'm assuming somewhere on Buford Highway, but I haven't been out that way for a few years.

I've liked Hong Kong Harbour, which is on Cheshire Bridge between Woodland ave and the Heretic (basically next to Taverna Plaka).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

kuskus posted:

TL;DR- In that neighborhood I guess I'd go to Fat Matt's or the Colonnade instead.

Please do not go to the Colonnade. For a little more content, I grew up south of Albany, Georgia, and the Colonnade hasn't ever struck me as anything other than mediocre fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Ethiopian? Desta Ethiopian Kitchen.

I tried Ghion Cultural Hall last Friday and thought the food was really good. Not my review:
http://southern-foodie.blogspot.com/2011/08/ghion-cultural-hall-ethiopian.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Landrobot posted:

We're going to Ru San's Buckhead now, since it's cheap as balls, and it's not a pretentious "Buckheady" restaurant. Haven't been in two years... Although their sushi is not really that great, it's still better than many others in town, and a much lower cost. It also seems like they seriously cleaned up their act after the Midtown fiasco.

Ru San's Buckhead hasn't really changed in the last decade; I think the Midtown restaurant previously had different management, which is where everything went to hell. As far as price, you might also try Sushi Kiku on Lenox, which evens out its absurd menu prices by doing half-price sushi and rolls 7 days a week.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mindphlux posted:

ditto for a few other places along that strip - though I recently went to the colonnade, and ... well, I mean it wasn't great, but it felt right in so many weird ways.

Blech. I was expecting better fried chicken based on their rep.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

But it seems like when I've gone to a place like Bistro Niko or Bones with my parents, service has been pretty good. Though in the former that might only be because my parents have known the Niko folks for decades; they were regulars at Pano's and Paul's.

Bistro Niko's service has been good the few times I've been there, and I'm certainly no regular. Veni Vidi Vici and Atmosphere have always been good as well. That's about it for me and fancy - these days I just walk to Vine and Tap and then stagger home.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mindphlux posted:

stay away

stay far away

unless you're doing valentines day not-on-valentines day, do not under any circumstance go out for a meal on this day of days.

if you go, expect 2x as many tables crammed into every restaurant you'd normally like, eating 6 inches away from the couple next to you, special fixed price menus that are your only option, subpar food execution and service, et cetera.

Yes. Do Valentine's Day not on Valentine's Day. Otherwise accept everything else being miserable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

venutolo posted:

What is the butterfly concept?

Here's the Inman Park link to butterfly - http://www.inmanpark.org/the-butterfly

I assume mindphlux is just talking about the name of Bread & Butterfly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Is there anyone doing a good laksa lemak or curry laksa over by Little Five Points or Decatur? I used to love Malaya, but it's a bit of a hike for me these days.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Hey yall, working in Midtown now near Atlantic Station, what's the good place for fancy asian soups around here? Stretches my lunch break a little too much driving to Dai Loi, would love something good closer.

I always liked Malaya over on Collier near Howell Mill:
http://www.atlantamalaya.com/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

York_M_Chan posted:

Has anyone been to Ghion Cultural Hall for Ethiopian food?

It's my favorite of the Cheshire Bridge Ethiopian restaurants, but I really prefer the cluster up where Clairmont hits Briarcliff (Desta) more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

venutolo posted:

If you've been, how do you compare Desta with Bahel?

I haven't been to Bahel, sorry.