Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
For some reason my form submission wasn't recorded. Maybe because I was using Chrome? Anyways, I sent it in again via Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Has anyone been to La Pastorcita on Buford Hwy?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-pastorcita-atlanta

I discovered it on Yelp tonight, as I was trying to find late night places, and I live almost walking distance from it. poo poo looks legit! If no one has been there, I'll try to go this weekend and scout it out, take menu photos, etc..

I mean, just look at it!

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 17, 2013

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Wow, what a great little read on a Sunday morning "6 new Atlanta bars and restaurants you need to try, right now":
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/atlanta/6-new-atlanta-bars-and-restaurants-you-need-to-try-right-now

Sobban is on the list

The Ink & Elm looks really good too, in the Emory Village.

Three Taverns Tasting Room... never heard of it, but it just opened. A freakin Belgian style brewery in Atlanta? hell yes! They do tours w/tastings as well, which would be a lot of fun. Does anyone want to do a mini goon meet there and get slightly drunk?

https://www.facebook.com/threetavernsbeer

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

:rms::burger::fork:

If you are planning to attend the dinner at The General Muir, please, please, please RSVP to the Evite. From the Google docs form I put up to find a date for this, we had 11 or 12 yes and another 10 or so maybes. So far I've got 5 RSVP'd. I'd really like to get 10+. If I only get a handful of yes RSVPs, then I'll probably cancel and attempt to reschedule for some later date for a larger group.

http://www.evite.com/l/4EnXW4jReN

:rms::burger::fork:

Yeah everyone, RSVP for this event Venutolo has carefully put together. Should be a lot of fun. Also, if it's under 10 people, let's still make this happen.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

Great.

I'll see everyone tomorrow night. When you get there, you can ask them point you towards Rick, or you can just look around and find the person who looks like they would spend $10 to post on the Internet.

If anyone else decides at the last minute that they want to attend, post in this thread and then feel free to show up.

Yes, we're all wearing our best fedoras, including the ladies.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

antisodachrist posted:

If I see any MLP attire I may set someone on fire.

How can you enjoy a crab rueben without your favorite Brony shirt on?!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I have high hopes that this dinner won't actually be that that goony, I hope my expectations aren't destroyed and dashed upon the rocky shores below :horse:

All the married ladies love the Bronies!

:krad:

see you all in an hour!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

Thanks for coming out, guys! I had a good time and hope everyone else did as well.

Thanks again for hosting this, we had fun! The General Muir was fantastic, so we'll definitely be going back often.

mindphlux posted:

chai panni was floated, and our side of the table was talking about maybe hitting up shoya izakaya. one of my favorites, good for groups, and Rick hasn't been. so... Rick needs to go. :)

Yes. I've been wanting to try Shoya Izakaya for awhile now, as I shop at that HMart, so let's definitely make this happen soon. Chai Pani can happen at a later time when the head chef gets back from India...

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Craving French food; going to Atmosphere tonight! Where's everyone else going/went this weekend?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

King + Duke - My one experience here was good, but not great enough that I have really wanted to go back. I think I like the concept of the food more than the execution of the food. It is in Buckhead and patronized by the Buckhead crowd, and I really dislike Buckhead.

Voted for General Muir. I agree, it was pretty awesome food we had. We'll be going back regularly now. King + Duke is missing something... proper flavor profiles? I mean, it's so close to being awesome, but it's just not.

mindphlux posted:

god this a thousand times this.

I think I need to move. =(

Having just moved to Buckhead a year ago from the farmlands of North Carolina, I totally understand. We keep trying "Buckhead" restaurants and hate the whole vibe. F&B being the exception to the rule. It is the only snobby Buckhead restaurant we absolutely love going back to, as the food is perfection, and it's close by. It's also got a more intimate feel, not like some giant loud soulless room like everywhere else.

Also, I wasn't sure if this was posted awhile back, but this list always give me a LOL

The 25 douchiest bars in Atlanta
http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2012/11/douchiest-bars-atlanta/

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 13, 2013

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

89 posted:

So, in staying at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Atlanta the next few days starting tomorrow. What few places should I definitely target for my girlfriend & I? Not looking to spend a poo poo ton of money, but I wouldn't mind dropping $75 on our meals if it's worth it....but, cheaper the better..

1. Underground Atlanta - it's probably the most amazing place in all of downtown Atlanta. It's within walking distance; I suggest going at night.
2. Hard Rock Cafe - hands down the most foodie place in Atlanta
3. If you have a car, and want a nice drink, the Clermont Lounge is a cool place to sip a beer and relax

In all seriousness, do you have a car? Us Atlanta folk never go downtown for anything (may I speak for the whole group?). There's plenty of good places nearby (driving), just let us know what you're in the mood for.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Is anyone going to plan the Sushi dinner place soon? I would plan it, but I've never been there before.

In other news, went to the General Muir again last night, so so good! We have reservations at the Ink & Elm for this Saturday, so that should be good.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

Wednesday, December 4th
7:30 pm
@ Shoya Izakaya

Perfect, thanks for putting this together. I have an unending appetite for sushi, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We'll be there right at 7:30 or a little after. Really looking forward to this.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We had the same reservation saga at Goin' Coastal a few months back. I had some out of town guests, an 8:30pm reservation, and we were all literally starving from a long day out. "Your table isn't ready yet", said the hostess, "feel free to hang out at the bar, which is literally crammed full of other people, or go outside, since our restaurant is tiny as gently caress and stand around on the sidewalk" which is exactly what we did. A few tables were just lingering for 30+ minutes with the bills already paid. The manager came over and explained to us they couldn't do anything about it, since they were a small restaurant, blah blah blah. Annoyed and starving, I told them we would be leaving in five minutes if they don't get us a table (we had been waiting for 25 mins outside already), plus I'll be sure to drop some carefully crafted Yelp, google, etc reviews explaining our predicament... Well, that got us a table pretty quickly! I think they actually had the balls to ask this one inconsiderate table to leave. Food was good, but after reading the yelp reviews, the reservation issue is a VERY common occurrence at this restaurant, with many like complaints. They overbook tables, and that is an issue, especially when you don't have a proper waiting area.

The King + Duke was okay, but nothing exciting. Too buckheady. My favorite Buckhead restaurant is F&B right now. It's French Mediterranean cuisine and drat good food. Reservations are always flawless, service is perfect, etc.. The drink menu is only 2nd place to Leon's too. Sorta Buckheady, but it's got a soul at least. http://www.fandbatl.com/

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

RHIN0002 posted:

I'm going on a first date this Friday and need a restaurant for dinner > place to get drinks afterward somewhere in North Atlanta. Ideally, somewhere around Sandy Springs / Perimeter. I know next to nothing about that area other than the Fred Bar. Halp.

Edit: Actually, really anywhere north of 20 is fine. Sandy Springs area would be optimal though.

Sandy Springs: http://ciboatlanta.com/

It's happening, but not too loud. Food and drinks are excellent for the area. Sandy Springs is mostly full of pricey brass rail chain restaurants and Persian places. For drinks afterwards, there's an Intermezzo Cafe across from Perimeter Mall in Park Place.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

food is good, I've been maybe 5 times now? my main complaints are it's a bit loud, a bit pricey, and the menu doesn't really change as far as I can tell. but again, good food.

edit unrelated : gently caress ford fry

this is my new atlanta-dining-scene mantra.

I have no desire to go back to King + Duke, but did you try his new place St. Cecilia yet? The menu looks good, albeit a bit pricey. It took over the old Blue Pointe location.

We're going to Ru San's Buckhead now, since it's cheap as balls, and it's not a pretentious "Buckheady" restaurant. Haven't been in two years... Although their sushi is not really that great, it's still better than many others in town, and a much lower cost. It also seems like they seriously cleaned up their act after the Midtown fiasco.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

anyways we talked for a minute and she was like 'yeah whenever our family goes out for japanese food, we always go to shoya izakaya! it's very good you should go!' and started to leave

Yes, I agree, Shoya Izakaya is much better. I found a place near my work called Sushi MITO http://www.sushimito.com/ which is also an authentic izakaya. Prices are fair and it's really good food! I don't know why I just discovered it last week, as it's been there awhile... so good!

I did bring some of my friends visiting from Osaka, Japan to Ru San's Buckhead once. Surprisingly, they said it was good and authentic. They mentioned the hot green tea was crap, but the food itself was on par with casual sushi places in Japan.

My chef friends showed me a copy of the newest 'Lucky Peach' magazine last night: http://lky.ph/ Check it out guys, this is an awesome food publication. It reads like a bunch of little books. I just signed up for a subscription too. Does anyone read this magazine?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Zenzirouj posted:

Ru San's Midtown is the one at Ansley Park, right? What happened there? Is it about the management jumbling they had in the past year or so? But yeah, I'd agree that Ru San's fits the niche of decent sushi for when you don't want to spend much money and maybe want to drink a lot with your friends while doing so.

This, along with some other issues, health warnings, etc.. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/midtown-sushi-restaurant-closed-over-cockroaches/nZJYL/

Ru San himself works the Buckhead location; he's the older chef with the glasses near all the security camera monitors lolz.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

The wife and I went to F&B in Buckhead last night for our Valentine's Day dinner and hoooly crap it was good. Those were probably the best steaks we've ever had! We also got the cheese plate and the salmon puff appetizer. Delicious. Oh, and the complimentary valet was great, too.

It was expensive as hell (almost $150 including drinks and tip) but we knew what we were getting into. We definitely want to come back here and see what their lunch is like.

Hell yeah! Glad you liked it! I keep mentioning F&B on here, as it's a treasure in Buckhead. I live practically across the street and go every so often. The cocktails are insanely good, on par with Leon's (not AS good as Leons, but close).

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I'm definitely over h&f. completely over it.

Glad I never went there. I went to Eugene's a few times, it's swanky and good food, but I never had to pick the tab up either ;) Didn't know you worked there, that's cool!

What about '1 Kept' in Buckhead? Anyone been yet? The place, ambiance, and food look promising.

confonnit posted:

Went to Holeman and Finch on one of his shows and took what was already a bro shitshow and cranked it up to where it is now.

The irony is Anthony Bourdain wrote a graphic novel, 'Get Jiro!', that is based around this entire phenomenon in yuppie-foodie-culture: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Jiro-Anthony-Bourdain/dp/1401228283

If you saw the Jiro movie, you'll definitely appreciate this book. It's a hysterical read!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Feb. 19th - Oh snap, my friend at Chai Pani just got nominated for a James Beard Award (best Southeast Chef) !!

http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2014-restaurant-and-chef-award-semifinalists

He was floored with the news, totally came as a surprise. It's not even fine dining. It's like anti-Ford Fry food. He works both the Asheville, NC and Decatur locations, with NC being the HQ.

So did Todd Ginsberg at The General Muir, which is also well deserved! drat, us goons know how to pick the best dinner places.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

A large central lounge area is furnished with creamy leather banquettes and textured crocodile tiles, and is surrounded by an elevated dining room for more formal dining. Theatrical lights illuminate each table, while a DJ creates an energetic vibe throughout the entire space.

Venutolo can you plan the next goon dinner meet here?! I'm craving two scallops and an AppletiniŽ over full volume Taylor Swift dubstep remixes.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

jooky posted:

Campania up in Alpharetta is really good. I might even like it better than Antico; it's definitely a better atmosphere for a date, for sure. Would not recommend driving all the way up 400 just to try it, but if you happen to be in the area, check it out.

I was up in the area today and made a point to check it out. The pizza was on par with Antico, but with much nicer restaurant decor, service, etc.. Overall, I actually liked it a lot more than Antico and will go back when in Alpharetta. Thanks for the recommendation!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

AgentHaiTo posted:

Westside, and the only really bad thing was the fries. I do love the Brussel Sprouts though, and can eat the whole bowl as a meal.

They just deep fry the brussel sprouts, pretty easy to make, just add goat cheese. The main thing that annoys me, is the giant line of people at Yeah! burger. I've gone many times, and just continue driving after seeing that dismal slow line... Surprisingly, the Westside location of 5 Seasons Brewing is pretty drat good (sandy springs one is meh). The bottle aged brews are well worth the $20 price point. This is the next place I go instead of Yeah burger.

Went to Fritti last week. It was pretty good, but the pizzas weren't up to par with Antico (or my new fave, Campania).

I want to find some more divey-food places that are awesome for the money. Like Desta, or whatever.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We went to Alfredo's tonight on Cheshire Bridge rd. This was our first time, and oh boy, did it deliver! It's not foodie-food, but who cares, they have a giant greek Acropolis style fish aquarium, old dudes serving all the tables, and the highest butter fat content meal I've had this decade. Highly recommended for a change of pace!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

ive been systematically curious about and scared of this place for over 8 years. have never been. fearing the worst.

Exactly right!!! I just had a craving for something odd and Alferdo's delivered ten-fold-my-expectations of weirdness. The food was actually insanely flavorful, albeit not foodie-food.

The old guy wearing safety glasses the entire time added to the mystique of this glorious establishment (circa 1974). It's like a set out of a Godfather film, for reals. It's one of those quirky restaurants all the old people in Atlanta eat at, which is to say the food is better than I expected. Lots of crazy experimental young folk in there too, trying to figure out the place. it's an experience.

It's the anti-Ford Fry restaurant... 'nuff said

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

I lurk this thread and don't ever really post but if there's interest I could be down for this.

I'm down. Let's make this happen.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

food was ok, but only ok, and kevin was even in the house. saw the hostess be really rude to more than a couple walkins who didn't make the cut. I don't know, the whole experience made me kind of :(

That kinda sucks, as I'm sure you guys were really looking forward to a wonderful culinary experience there.

We ended up at Tomo in north Buckhead last night. It was shockingly really drat good sushi! The place was a little "buckheady", but that only applied to the clientele, as the food was super duper. For a nice sushi establishment, the prices were on par, if not cheaper, than other run of the mill stripmall sushi joints. Some items were way overpriced, but the rolls and basic sushi dishes with rice made to perfection, were a bargain. We will go back, but probably to sit at the bar for a more informal meal. They're also doing a whole tuna chef-demo next week or something kinda cool.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Gu's is great! I have ordered some terrible entrees there though (the fried stuff, ugghh), so it's not all good. I just wish they had better quality ingredients in lieu of their very large portion sizes.

We found a new Mexican place that's legit: Si Seņor on the Peachtree Industrial access road (Winter's Chapel intersection). http://www.yelp.com/biz/si-se%C3%B1or-norcross-2

"Yes Sir" From the outside, it doesn't look like a place non-Hispanics would ever walk into. But once inside, it's surprisingly very clean, professional, and better than 90% of all the other Mexican restaurants I've been in. It's not some scary helldump that epitomizes Buford Hwy fare. Just find a table and sit down, as they have full table service. They mostly speak English too. They have Tortas, Sopes, and other very uncommon Mexican dishes that don't taste like they fell off a frozen food distributor's truck. Cheap, but not in a bad way.

mindphlux posted:

hurray we're under contract to buy a house in cabbagetown, right next to the krog st bridge. got a hot tub and a garage to boot. can't wait for the krog street market to open up, and for us to get settled. partytime!

Congrats!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

Question for you folks. I'm gonna go see my boyfriend again in September. So, is there anywhere good in and around the Canton area?

This place is in Canton, although I've only been to the Virginia Highlands location. Excellent food: http://goincoastalseafood.com/

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

godzirraRAWR posted:

My brother runs the Varasanos at the airport, and can get you a tour there, or even the original Varasanos location in Buckhead if you want!

Just tossing that out there, its really nothing too special.

Uh yeah. Plan a Goon Dinner there, as we'll all show up.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

Fair point. Only issue we have there is Brady's not the best driver, really defensive. But I'll keep that idea in mind.

E - he does like the sound of Goin' tho. That suggestion was appreciated.

Goin' Coastal is legitimately an excellent in-town-atlanta restaurant that just happens to have a 2nd location in the "sticks" of Canton, GA.

We are aware of how OTP people are scared of ITP Atlanta, due to our continuous 'Death Race 3000' in the city.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Dashcam = the answer for the crazies in Atlanta. Go ahead and brake check me, pull a gun, etc... It's worth it for ITP food.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Ned posted:

I went and checked out their site and they kind of have a ridiculous menu.

Even if they did have the ingredients in stock to prepare those dishes I'd be very surprised if they didn't turn out to be disappointing.

I'd be pretty concerned if I went to a restaurant here and they had all of those things on their menu but also churned out deep fried spicy tuna rolls.

I hate it when restaurants put a ton of poo poo on the menu, that in no way shape or form, could turn out well on a finished plate. I only eat at places that have limited offerings, but do a drat good job focused on its dishes.

With that said, I'm actually going to Ru San's tonight, which has the longest menu known to mankind. lol

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I'm jealous of the Krog st market, as we don't live that close by. But it's not too bad on the weekends for us to swing by. Really looking forward to it!

But, we did do the first night of Brookhaven Food Trucks this evening, which was pretty fun: https://www.facebook.com/BrookhavenFTN The korean style tacos were actually pretty drat good (cheap). Totally going back weekly if weather is nice. It was fun to picnic out in the park with a ton of food trucks to choose from. Very cool

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Irobot82 posted:

What goon was out in Paulding County today at La Bomba in Seven Hills? I spotted a black Ford Super Duty truck that had a "Goon Squad" sticker in the back.

That was definitely Mindphlux.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

New restaurant just opened tonight in Chamblee. The menu looks pretty promising, so I'll be checking it out soon. They have two giant Big Green Eggs smokin' outside as I drove past tonight, enjoying the whiff of yummy food:

https://www.facebook.com/southboundatlanta

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Landrobot posted:

New restaurant just opened tonight in Chamblee. The menu looks pretty promising, so I'll be checking it out soon. They have two giant Big Green Eggs smokin' outside as I drove past tonight, enjoying the whiff of yummy food:

https://www.facebook.com/southboundatlanta

Went last night! It was their first Saturday evening open, so it was a bit crazy, but well organized for the rush of people. The interior space is pretty drat cool actually, with 1900 style everything, considering it's in Chamblee. They have a true kitchen table that seats 2-3 people, which is pretty neat. They also have upstairs and outdoor seating. We sat at the bar, which was awesome too. I expect a place of this caliber to be in Decatur, but it's a lot more convenient. They also have a new parking lot in back.

Food wise, it's really good! It could use some fine tuning, but overall very impressed. It was better than King + Duke, let's put it that way. They have a menu posted on their FB page.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

b. the guy sounds like a blathering idiot with no direction in the interview

I read this interview as, "we'll do whatever our Sysco sales rep recommends".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

confonnit posted:

Looking for a good birthday dinner recommendation. We currently have reservations for St. Cecelia but my girlfriend is worried it might be a little stuffy - any opinions about this place or others welcome. We will be in Buckhead but will travel for the right place.

Do you have any particular preferences? We know Buckhead backwards and forwards. Last year, we did my birthday at Seven Lamps; it was pretty awesome.