Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
HD1 is a joke. $10 hotdogs that take upwards of 20mins to get to your table does NOT make me happy. Especially when you can get a chilidog from the Varsity in negative 5 seconds for pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

For Indian Vegetarian, I've been heavily addicted to Vatica in Marietta.

Its thali style, so not really much of a menu to speak of, they just bring out whatever they made that day on these neat little platters. Bonus in that the little crazy indian dude owner is.. well.. batshit insane, but he is always a lot of fun, and will totally cook chickpeas on the side for whenever my gf shows up.

Smyrna has Swapna, which is drat near the best butter chicken I've ever had. Other than their lunch buffet, its rather meh.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

kontona posted:

what's the best joint for fried chicken in atlanta? you would think there would be more renowned places in this town. more often then not i just wind up going to popeyes.

Honestly, both of the South City Kitchen locations make fried chicken that reminds me of my grandmother. Its not even that pricy, and their sides are always pretty solid. Its not high gourmet food, just nice comfy southern food done right for the most part.

I would bare handed strangle 100 babies for their shrimp and grits too.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

DigitalHeretic posted:

I'm going to cry if this is the best Thai in Atlanta. :( I guess I was just spoiled coming from Seattle and Denver.

I really like L'Thai in Smyrna at Atlanta Rd and 285. Its at a good price, has pretty awesome wine, and their food is completely amazing.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

We got sloshed at H&F. Still haven't gotten a burger, dammit.

Stupid gout.... :(

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

mindphlux posted:

so, I haven't eaten at any of these new barbeque places that have sprung up over the last couple years. are there any that are particularly stand out?

I am positively addicted to Heirloom Market off of Akers Mill and 285. Their half southern bbq and half korean weird fusion is just amazing. Highlights are their brisket, the 3 sauces they have, and that korean pulled pork bbq sandwich. If you like Korean BBQ Kalbi or however its spelled, you'll love it.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Dante's Down the Hatch? I mean.. its not really food, or good, but it sure is one hell of an experience I guess. But a birthday party might go over well there? I think?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

As for Mexican, my go-to is Coyote Grill, pretty close to downtown Decatur. I haven't really made a huge effort to scour Atlanta for Mexican food so I can't say whether it's amazing or not, but it's certainly better than a lot of the shitholes I've eaten at. And the pricing is about the same. It's a slightly sketchy area I guess, but there's pretty frequently a cop car parked in their lot for some reason and I've been going to that area for years with no problems. It's just an area that doesn't have much money put into it.

Neuvo Laredo by far for me. That is, if you can push your way through the hordes of margarita swilling hipsters.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

dennyk posted:

My favorite fancy burger is Muss & Turner's in Vinings. Medium-rare grass fed beef, hell yeah.

That with a token salad and a tasty microbrew makes a great lunch.

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna makes some drat good ramen as well as their delicious yakitori.

I dearly love both of these places. The wine and cheese nights at Muss and Turner turn me into a gibbering loon.

And I really do eat lunch at least twice a week at Yakitori Jinbei. I was honestly surprised to see both of these here since I'm there all the time.

I'm accidentally hip! gently caress!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

mindphlux posted:

Pho Bac on buford is pretty good. all my favorite places on buford have closed, but generally you can't go wrong up there.

Pho #1 for me.

But I really think that Pho is one of those things that unless its very terrible, you fall in love at the first place you try it.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

In case any 85N OTP folks are interested, my favorite lunch place (and one of my favorite places in all of metro Atlanta) is having a BBQ this Saturday: http://www.facebook.com/events/284086658337214/

Wow that's pretty crazy. Wish I could make it!

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2012/apr/05/the-dish-bleu-house-market/

"Chef Bryan" is one of my old buddies that got hired away from someplace in athens to work there. And I had no idea till just now.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

crm posted:

Maybe something a Llittle more cozy?

Might give their brunch a shot though.

Edit: the wife says she wants seafood. So fancy seafood restaurants in Atlanta... go!

Sotto Sotto has an amazing seafood risotto. Also their chocolate soup is pretty drat amazing, and its probably one of the cozier places I know of. Reservations allowed too!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Unsure of where else to put this, but I saw it come across my RSS feed, and will probably end up going:

http://www.pinestreetmarket.com/collections/frontpage/products/whole-hog-cooking-class

if anyone else is interested!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Does anyone know of a good place in or near atlanta that sells pork belly? I've been getting mine from weinerz on atlanta rd, and while amazing its pricey and they take like 4 weeks to fill my order. I'm tempted to try one of the random mexican or Asian markets, but i'm a little wary due to some of the reviews. Online+delivery would be pimp as well.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Was on my way up, work called, sitting inside at home working. loving gently caress

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Eh. I just don't get the food truck craze. I mean the food that I've had out of them is pretty good, but it is just over the top and stupid expensive.

I've had the blaxican, yumbii, and a handful of others, but the food just really doesn't merit that insane markup.

It may be due to atlantas busted rear end laws or something, but... now that I've been to most, I just have no desire to go to any of them again.

King of Pops is completely exempt though, they own, and they can have all my loving money. The Pineapple Habenero was like licking the crotch of a delicious angel.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

WaterIsPoison posted:

South City Kitchen is mighty fine. Flat Iron steak came with a wonderful pablano steak sauce. Service was a bit cold though. Although the beer nerd within me was pretty wtf with them serving an IPA in a Pilsner glass. :goonsay:

South City in smyrna has a grapefruit martini that occasionally turns me gay for citrus.

True story.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Insane. We tried to go to holeman and finch last night around 8pm for my brothers birthday, but the 2+ hour wait turned us off. Man that would have been awesome, drat.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Does anyone know of a good butcher on the west/northwest side of town? Patak is of course awesome but their hours suck and I just can't get there during the week because of work. I'm looking for a real butcher where I can go and say "I want x cut" and he will get it for me. I do know of one in Woodstock but that's more than an hour away from me.

There is a place called weinerz (lol) on atlanta rd just north on windy hill that i use a lot. The owner is even related to the guy that runs patak, i believe. I get some amazing pork bellies and other miscellaneous cuts from them. Some stuff you have to order ahead of time, but the guys know their stuff, and are always ridiculously excited to see the bacon/sausages I've made. They even slice my 30+ lbs of bacon for free.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

jooky posted:

The Porter smells like vomit. Went there once and did a pretty much immediate 180 because of the smell.

I've been there a TON of times and never smelled vomit. Its one of my favorite places to grab new beers, and enjoy some salt and vinegar popcorn. Too bad that you have to slog thru the homeless and weird rastafarian beggars to get there, and there is ALWAYS a line at peak times. I have had the best luck going by at like 2pm during the week.

But The Yacht Club down the way is one of my fav bars ever, and I seem to have a soft spot for dive bars, so that might explain it.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

ulmont posted:

Please do not go to the Colonnade. For a little more content, I grew up south of Albany, Georgia, and the Colonnade hasn't ever struck me as anything other than mediocre fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc.

When I was growing up, the Colonnade and Mary Mac's were the place to be. I've been recently, and they taste like old school Po'Folks carryout garbage. I shed a single tear.

Luckily, sweet baby jesus begat Carvers on the east side, and all was well again.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

Miso Izakaya has the worst service in Atlanta according to a recent Eater Atlanta poll.

Also, regarding the ramen Miso Izakaya:

We went to Miso Tuesday night, and there were 5 tables. One hour and 10 minutes later, we got what we ordered. There was one server, and 2 sushi chefs, and the bartenders were running the food. I will never ever go back to that place, I don't care how good their food is.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Anyone have brunch suggestions that don't have a 1-2hr wait every goddamn day?

Anything near smyrna/marietta/north west atlanta will do, I'm not THAT picky. Just tired of awful waffle, jchristophers, west egg, and the like. Ritas seems nice, but I absolutely refuse to wait multiple hours for what amounts to eggs. :colbert:

Is this where I'm failing, should I be willing to wait? :confused:

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

We hit Chain Pani on Saturday about 4pm or so. The food was simply amazing, with the Okra Fries being beyond glorious.

Our only real complaint was the service, but I honestly think thats because we got tucked away in a corner, and kinda forgotten in the beginning. Once they came over and we ordered, things sped up quite nicely.

I'm totally going back, regardless of the hour wait for food. That joint was PACKED due to the awesome (finally) weather and it being Decatur.

Totally a keeper.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Cho Son Ook is mine. Been going there for years, the sweet little Korean ladies know me, and they love me and give me free bottles of Soju. Don't judge me!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

Wait, you guys associate with OTP people?!?

jerk! ;)

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Not that any of you eat at Ru Sans, and not that this is terribly surprising, but still: http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/08/01/restaurant-inspections-ru-sans/

RuSans is the McDonalds of sushi. Its cheap, plain, the exact same at every location, and the next day your butt won't stop throwing up.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

Would anyone be for a goon dinner at The General Muir sometime? I think the Chai Pani dinner a few months back was a success and I'd be down for organizing it.

I could also probably organize the same at Community Q if there'd be interest in that.

You have my sword/wallet/belly. Whatevs. For both!

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Got reservations at The Spence next week for my brothers birthday. Has anyone been there? Any recommendations or "stay away at all cost"?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

mindphlux posted:

there is no scottish place in town. special order yourself some haggis off the interwebs. I don't have any suggestions as per place, but you should be able to find something...

There are some booths at the Stone Mountain Highland games that sell haggis. YMMV. I am unsure how on its supposed to taste/look/smell, so I can't really say if it was garbage or not. But the 'regulars' there seem to like it, so hey worth a shot I guess?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

enthe0s posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good ramen place near Buckhead? One of my friends recommended me a place called Raku but that's way out in Duluth and would rather not have to travel that far if I can help it.

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna, its at 41 and 75 near the Best Buy kinda sorta ish. Thats been my go to for YEARS. Granted, no where close to Buckhead :(

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

RHIN0002 posted:

Meh, I know it's not in Atlanta but certainly in the ~Metro~ area. "Best ramen in a 50 mile radius of Atlanta" would have probably been more appropriate.

It's a drive, but look at that beautiful bowl

Ok, fess up, who here works at The Loaf?

http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-atlanta-ramen-smackdown/Content?oid=9645303

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

RuSans is the McDonald's of sushi. Every location is exactly the same, is cheap, and gets the job done.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli and had a really good experience. It is another Neapolitan-style pizza place along the lines of Antico. I first met Luca Varuni when he was at Antico when that place opened. He's been gone from Antico for a few years and has just opened his own place over by the corner of Piedmont and Monroe (next to Hobnob on Monroe).

I had the Oro Bianco (buffalo mozzarella, buffalo ricotta, Taleggio, pancetta, Pecorino Romano, basil, white truffle oil, no tomato sauce) and it was really good. Compared to Antico, I found the crust lighter, less gummy, less charred, and not sour (not that any of that is necessarily a good or bad thing, just what I saw as the differences). I've been to Antico probably over a hundred times, and the crust can vary significantly, so I imagine the same may be true at Varuni, and so this is based on the one pie I had at Varuni versus the sum of my experiences at Antico. Anyway, I really enjoyed my pie.

There is also much larger variety of pies with a greater variety of ingredient on the menu at Varuni. I was a bit overwhelmed by the choices and happened across the word "pancetta" and went with that pie. At Antico I probably order the San Gennaro 70% of the time, the Bianca 20%, and something else the remaining 10%, so I'm looking forward to trying more of the pies at Varuni.

One big advantage of Varuni Napoli compared to Antico is the space. During dining hours, Antico is always jammed and despite all they've done to accommodate the crowds, it is a clusterfuck. Varuni has a lot of space and feels really open. There's a lot of counter seating, a number of communal tables, a good size patio, and a small back room (might be only for private parties). I imagine that if Varuni gets really busy, it won't feel half as cramped as Antico does on a moderately busy day.

Another nice thing (for me) is that I really like Luca Varuni. As I mentioned, we met years ago when Antico first opened and I haven't seen him since he left Antico years ago. When I walked in today, he recognized me, said hello and welcomed me, took note of my number to make sure I was taken care of, and then at the end gave me a tour of everything (I love, love, love touring kitchens). A couple interesting things from the tour was that they have a small climate controlled room for making dough and that they have some special water used in the dough that helps make it very light. And to further the comparison to Antico, Luca is a really nice guy while Giovanni is a bit of a dick.

Anyway, that's my (probably way too long) experience at Varuni Napoli. I really liked it and look forward to going back. Quality is on same level as Antico (with the crust being different), and I prefer the space and atmosphere at Varuni.

My brother runs the Varasanos at the airport, and can get you a tour there, or even the original Varasanos location in Buckhead if you want!

Just tossing that out there, its really nothing too special.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

WaterIsPoison posted:

Going to Gunshow again tonight. :toot:

The chicken sandwich that I had there last time was so good, that it made me want to be a better person. No lie.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

I went to Cooks and Soldiers, and loved it.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Landrobot posted:

Holeman & Finch
Ink & Elm
King & Duke
Ration & Dram

So, check this out, you'll appreciate it :effortless:

http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/

my faves are:

Skull & Badger
Fruit & Lumber
Wolves & Barley

Ahaha holy poo poo

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

meh, not worth it.

godzirraRAWR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 3, 2016

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

So I work in the middle of Duluth now. Any suggestions to try out here?

MJ's Tacos and Humble House in the Great Wall are current favs. I checked out Masterpiece, but mebbe I didn't order the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

I'll have to check out MJ's next week. I go to Thank U Chicken fairly often and have noticed MJ's but not stopped in.

Korean:
* Thank U Chicken
* Harue
* 9292 (BBQ)
* Breakers (BBQ)
* Bonjuk
* Jang Dok Dae (Not much English. Maybe none. I don't recall. Went with a Korean friend who ordered for us.)
* Boxete
* Jang Su Jang

Japanese:
* Haru Ichiban
* Blue Fin Sushi

Taiwanese:
* TJ House

Vietnamese:
* Banh Mi Cafe

Pizza:
* O4W Pizza

Cajun/Seafood:
* Fat Crab

gently caress. Yes. You the man, man.

Now that my nightmare drive from Mableton to Duluth is back to just 'murderously bad' instead of 'loving kill me now' I'll get started on this list!