Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

mindphlux posted:

I'm assuming you're all voting on July 31st. If not, you really should consider it. because gently caress traffic, and hurray beltline.

http://untieatlanta.com/the-solution/

Have you been on a Ponce City Market tour yet? It's fantastic (and free)!

http://www.poncecitymarket.com/home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Safety Dance posted:

I work across the street from there. How do I make a tour happen?

Watch their Facebook or Twitter, they'll put up tour dates on there and registration links.

I don't know if they'll be doing any more between now and the T-SPLOST vote.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Hey all, the Ponce City Market is doing tours of the building and its connection to the Beltline for the TSPLOST vote. The only opening is July 18th, so hurry up and register. It's free!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

signalnoise posted:

Anyone going to the atlanta street food festival this weekend besides me? http://www.atlantastreetfoodfestival.com/

Since I haven't been to the Food Truck Park yet, I'm definitely going to swing by the festival before going to The Matrix Live.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
I like West Egg, although I have to admit the food has been hit or miss depending on who is working in the back. I miss you, Chicken n' Dumplins Pot Pie.

venutolo posted:

Bone Lick BBQ (from the P'cheen people) is scheduled to open this coming week (if I recall correctly) on the Westside on Huff. I've heard and read good things about the BBQ nights at P'cheen, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I had Bone Lick BBQ today for lunch, they opened up today. Not sure what to make it so far, just that the BBQ sandwich and mac n' cheese left my mouth burning. Quite spicy.

Definitely will be going back, especially when they have beer.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I ate dinner there today. I thought it was good, but not exactly what I want in terms of BBQ. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my experience, but I kind of felt it was too refined for BBQ.

The (pork & pork &) beans were good, but I didn't love my pork sandwich. The ratio of slaw and picks to pork was too high. Less slaw and pickles and more meat, and I would have liked it more.

It was their first day open, and I know not to make any judgments on such a small sampling on opening day, so I won't form any sort of permanent opinion yet. Anyway, I'm happy to have another BBQ place near home and will probably be visit with some regularity.

Was it just me, or was the sandwiches packed with jalapeņos? I was burning up after the mac n' cheese and sandwich. I also felt there was way too much of the cole slaw on top (and under) of the meat. Sneaky sneaky.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Ammazza just opened up in the Old 4th Ward last night, I had a chance to go try some of their pizza. Fantastic.

Such a neat place, and I believe they get their liquor license today! Woo!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Tonight is the presedential debate.

And who knows who you will see in there.

http://peachtreekeen.tumblr.com/post/33433150505/jesse-jackson-watching-the-vp-debate-at-manuels

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Safety Dance posted:

Grapevine has it that Deckard's American Tavern on Ponce closed.

Eulogy: The food was pretty good for the price, I guess, and their beer list was above average. We'll have to find another place for lunchtime work functions.

Yep. Deckard's American Tavern and Ribs & Blues (on 5th Street) have shuttered.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Josh Lyman posted:

Woah, Ribs & Blues is gone? Did they have the same owner?

The last time I went there was a year and a half ago. Cheap pitchers next door to my office.

The same owner as Deckards? I'm assuming not.

Yeah, I stopped by there at work (started at GT a few months ago) for lunch. Sad it closed, it was always the go-to place for beer during Taste of Atlanta.

http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2012/11/02/owners-of-5th-street-ribs-and-blues-close-up-shop-to-go-play-golf-instead/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

what is this posted:

I used to work on 5th, sad to see them go.

http://nique.net/news/2012/11/09/ribs-n-blues-closes-after-9-years/

I had no idea they had been around for 9 years.

WaterIsPoison posted:

No, it's really just that people were pretty inconsiderate when walking around, leaving their carts in the middle of aisles, cutting in front of others, etc. I guess some lady bumped into her in the bathroom and yelled at her for some reason. It was very crowded and I think it just flustered her. I didn't really have a problem besides being mildly annoyed that carts were blocking of a majority of the produce section.

That's my feeling on the place - its busy. If you're used to going to Publix in Roswell or Alpharetta, the Farmers Market is going to be a major change in pace.

Plus, it gets downright hectic on weekends. Not good if you want to browse.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Antico is by far the best pizza around (highest Zagat score for a pizza place in the US, named best Neapolitan pizza by the Festa della Pizza in Naples, etc).

I prefer the original Tasty China to #2 (I'm also pretty sure I got the most awful food poisoning at 2).

List is missing Holeman & Finch and Restaurant Eugene.

I'd give Ammazza a try for pizza.

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 15, 2013

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/atlanta/30312/joystick-gamebar-multiplayer-pop-up

Joystick Gamebar is hosting some food trucks from Wednesday to Saturday. Looks incredible.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Omerta posted:

I've gone there three times already. IT OWNS IT OWNS IT OWNS. I can't recommend it enough. The cocktails were very reasonable and very good. I had the bourbon sour; the foam from the egg white was the right consistency and I liked the added chili powder to balance out the sweet/sour flavor in a normal sour.

This is fantastic. I have a friend who actually just got a job there, so now I've got more reasons to stop by and check it out. Sounds like the place gets pretty crazy though on weekend nights.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I visited BoccaLupo for the first time and really liked it. I typically don't eat at Italian restaurants because I find that they're mostly either inexpensive and mediocre or expensive and good, but stuffy and too upscale for my tastes. BoccaLupo is sort of in the middle. I thought the prices were moderate and the food was really good.

What'd you get? Their lasagna is pretty drat good.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
I had a friend who bar-tended over at STK.

Her experiences and stories from that place weren't great. Like you said, it's neigh impossible to hear loving anyone in there with the loving DJ.

It's a little piece of Buckhead in Midtown. :allears:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Landrobot posted:

We went to Alfredo's tonight on Cheshire Bridge rd. This was our first time, and oh boy, did it deliver! It's not foodie-food, but who cares, they have a giant greek Acropolis style fish aquarium, old dudes serving all the tables, and the highest butter fat content meal I've had this decade. Highly recommended for a change of pace!

I've had Alfredo's once and was extremely underwhelmed by pretty much everything I tried. It tasted like the Cracker Barrel of Italian food in Atlanta.

Why can't I stop thinking about Bocca Lupo

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Because it is awesome?

That lasagna changed my world. I really need to go back and try it again, especially now that the Edgewood bridge is back open.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Croatoan posted:

Oh and FYI for those of you who live up the 75/575 area you should check out the Century House Tavern. The Main Wife and I went there and were pleasantly surprised. The menu is really seasonal so if you get your butts up there in the next week or so you can still get some morels.

http://www.centuryhousetavern.com/

It's nice to have a upscale joint without having to go all the way into ATL.

Downtown Woodstock is really making strides in countering the OTP suburban wasteland. I grew up there, so it's great to see that area explode into what it is today.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

mindphlux posted:

hurray we're under contract to buy a house in cabbagetown, right next to the krog st bridge. got a hot tub and a garage to boot. can't wait for the krog street market to open up, and for us to get settled. partytime!

Congrats! I'm over at the corner of Edgewood and Randolph, and I'm so pumped for Krog Street to open up. Gonna bring a lot of activity to this little area, which is well-deserved.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I at lunch today at Varuni Napoli...

I was wondering when this place would open up. I was really nervous it was going to be another weak pizza joint, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Definitely gotta make a trip over there asap.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Sperg Victorious posted:

Tell him to never hesitate and don't look other drivers in the eyes. That's really all he needs to know.

Half the fun is never hesitating and looking other drivers in the eyes.

:rice:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Basically across the street.

Yep.

http://krogstreetmarket.com/_assets/pdfs/ksm-brochure.pdf

Cannot wait to see the sushi offerings:

quote:

Sushi Huku will open a sister spot later this year, and Eat It Atlanta posts some details. Called Craft Izakaya, the restaurant opening in highly anticipated Krog Street Market will "feature a full bar with a crafted cocktail menu." Chef Jey Oh has also "talked about elevating his sushi offerings a bit, with more prepared dishes with developed presentations and interesting combinations." [EIA]

Is it bad I'm a lot more excited about Krog St. Market than Ponce City Market?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I think Heirloom and Community Q are the best in the city, with Fox Bros on the next level down. I think Daddy D'z is gross.

Apropos of the recent mention of Texas BBQ, here's some Central Texas brisket (from Franklin Barbecue in Austin):

In Austin for the week - I know where I'm going now.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Jesus gently caress.

quote:

It definitely fluctuates. Tuesday and Wednesday are definitely our slowest days, when waits run about an hour or ninety minutes. Saturdays it's just ridiculous! There are usually three-hundred people outside before we even open, and it stays at about a three hour wait.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
It really is too bad, it's in a neat location and really stands to become a staple on the BeltLine East Trail.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

I saw your Foursquare check-in and was going to ask you about that. I actually thought they were closed. I drive by the location just about every other Monday, and they were never open, but I see that they're closed Mondays.

I ate there once a few years ago, a couple months after they opened. I didn't think much of it then, but I'll give it another go.

Whoa whoa whoa. We're stalking each other on Foursquare now? I want to see where's the hip places to eat in the city.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

confonnit posted:

Not anything particular, just wondering if there's any new or interesting restaurants that would make for a good date night. Lusca has been recommended along with Miller Union, and our preference would be for something more casual and less "nice", if that makes any sense.

Bocca Lupo, if you can get a reservation.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

quote:

Craft Izakaya, which softly opened over the weekend at Krog Street Market with friends and family events, will open to the public tonight. The lively Japanese-style bar and restaurant is a spin-off of Sushi Huku in Sandy Springs. Look for a full sushi bar and a yakitori menu with skewered meats, seafood and veggies cooked on a charcoal grill imported from Japan. Bar manager Nate Shuman, recently of Proof & Provision, created the beverage program featuring sake, shochu, craft beer and cocktails. 99 Krog St., Suite X, Atlanta. 470-355-9556.
Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Super pumped.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

AgentHaiTo posted:

That place looks amazing. My cousin owns a house near there, and I was really jealous that he can walk to so many amazing restaurants. I mean we have some great places over here in West Atlanta, but nowhere that I can walk from my place. I went to visit him the other week, and we walked to Serpas and had a great dinner.(Pork chop there was tasty).

I like the way he thinks.

(I also live in walking distance to Serpas and KSM. So pumped.)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Tatsuta Age posted:

Dude, do I know you? I feel like I recognize your username and I'm also an Inman Park goon.

Maybe? I'm over near Ammazza and am usually out and about somewhere in the city.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

La Fin Du Mondale posted:

Anyone know what's happening to Illegal Food now that they're out at Joystick? Not to bring back burger-chat, but I really enjoyed the few I had there.

They're looking for a new place - somewhere around Atlanta. Not sure if they're gonna settle down in the Old Fourth Ward or not.

Good riddance, I say. Great burger, but not worth the negatives that it brought to the kitchen.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Care to elaborate? What negatives did it bring?

Just a rumor from sources, but the separation stemmed from the owner of Illegal Food berating Joystick employees at close range using a megaphone in front of customers.

From the interactions I've had with Steven, it seems like a likely scenario. And, according to what I heard, this wasn't an isolated incident.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Tatsuta Age posted:

What growler place do y'all like in town, like around Inman Park?? The place near rias on memorial is OK, but their selection of stouts wasn't that strong when I went.

There's going to be a Hop City at Krog Street Market in the next few months. I'm biding my time until that opens.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

mindphlux posted:

I will, however, not be going back to the luminary any time soon. it's a french bistro inspired place or something. all I know is I went there expecting a pretty normal, decent food, no surprises type meal - we ordered an inexpensive bottle of wine, some raw seafood, and a couple side dishes - and our bill was $130 or something before tip. service was pretty mediocre, food was nothing special. dunno what happened there, but I wasn't a fan.
I had the exact same experience. Mediocre food for two, $130 check, disappointed feeling.

The other restaurants coming in look great - just gotta wait it out.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Safety Dance posted:

The whole area is a festering hellhole. There's a Zaxby's though.

Exactly.

I'm eating in town with my father before driving up there.

gently caress that entire area. Except that beautiful IMAX screen.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Awesome, walking over after work today. Girlfriend when to Craft for dinner on Saturday, glad to see everything's coming together.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Went to Krog Street Market tonight for dinner. Yalla was the only place that was serving meals, so they were very, very busy. I got in line before they opened and there were probably 20+ people ahead of me. Since they're brand new, they weren't exactly cranking out food. I had two pitas, one shwarma, and the other sabich. Both were good. I also had two of their house sodas, which I have enjoyed many times at The General Muir. When I got my food the line was even longer than when I first got in it.

How early were you there?

I swung by around 5:20pm and picked up some steak from Spotted Trotter, a treat from Little Tart, and some ice cream from Jeni's. Wasn't in the mood for Yalla, there was only five or so people in line then.

(I was in a blue t-shirt with a Yoda pocket)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

The cheesesteak is so good. Probably the best I've ever had. When I first ate it months ago, it brought tears to my eyes since I hadn't had a good one since leaving the Philly area 14+ years ago.

Well, now I'm going to have to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/2/12/8025365/illegal-food-atlanta-menu-the-hank#4667760

quote:

Illegal Food is back in business. The team behind the former Joystick Gamebar pop-up is opening its first full-service restaurant tonight in the old Bar Meatball space in Virginia-Highland. In addition to the regular burger menu, featuring The Hank, one of Atlanta's favorites, there is an ever-changing list of weekly specials from chef/co-owner Steven Lingenfelter.

Each week, Lingenfelter receives at least a half-cow from Brasstown Beef, which he butchers, leaving minimal waste, to create the burgers and specials. Think of dishes such as beef tartare, steaks, charcuterie, and oxtail. Vegetables and desserts, such as banana pudding ice cream, will come out of the kitchen as well. Behind the bar, look for wine, craft beer in cans and bottles and on draft, and some playful cocktails like the $25 Martini, which is simply a glass of Monkey 47 Gin and actually costs $25.

Illegal Food, located at 1044 Greenwood Avenue, is open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Get a preview via the above gallery and menu below.