Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

In the previous Worst Experiences thread, I talked about my current D&D (3.5) group and my worries that it had all the elements of becoming a Worst Experience. Much to my pleasure, it hasn't and actually has gone smashingly. (As a side note for those who remember, the DM has in fact gotten the girl he was interested in, and they've actually been amazing together despite the initial rocky start.)

Probably our best moment thus far was the halfling-breathing dragon. As we neared the end of the campaign, our party encountered a heavy magic shield around a fortress we needed to get into. After a bit of painful experimentation, we discerned that it was too powerful to dispel and would prevent entry by anyone who wasn't a dragon. Now, we could get around this - the party's druid had picked up an item that allowed her to wildshape into a dragon once a day for a while. This was obviously designed as a solo challenge for her to get in, grab what was needed, and escape back to us. That meant we were morally obligated to bypass it and ruin that plan.

Our GM, being dragon-obsessed, had granted access to the splatbooks he had. Which were all dragon-based and more or less useless to us. But our solution was in there, too. In the Dragon Magic splat, there's a couple of spells meant specifically for dragons. One is a quirkly little level 1 spell called Hoard Gullet, temporarily giving the dragon a second stomach that acts as a bag of holding to carry around a small hoard. The weight limitations were pretty strict, but when half your party is halflings and the wizard has a Staff of Size Alteration, you can get away with a lot.

So we rode through the shield inside the dragon's magical stomach.

In a bit of a panic that we used this obscure utility spell in such a way, the DM tried to be clever and had our druid intercepted by a pair of guardian wyrms. For all her talents, Bluff was not a skill the druid had, and things started to go very badly. The rest of the party decided to strike. When she next opened her mouth, we came out like an avenging army.

Using Telekinesis, the invisible halfling rogue/assassin turned into a guided missile and promptly got two sneak attack crits on the one wyrm, bringing it down to under 10hp. It was killed a moment later by the dwarven fighter's magic throwing hammer. The other wyrm ate a full attack action from the halfling ranger/rogue, who was optimized for maximum fire volume. I think he made something like eight attacks in one round, each with various damage bonuses that instantly reduced the wyrm to a dead pincushion.

Weeks later, the dragon's halfling breath weapon is still one of our favorite moments from the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Kumo posted:

Dropped in to my old D&D group this past weekend & made a Druid. Druid worked as a liaison between magical creatures seeking adventurers, and was working as a translator. PCs had a job offer by a Blink Dog to find his brother. The PCs did not speak Blink Dog. PCs had been given terms & agreed to them when one spoke up:

PC: "I ask him what sort of magical items he can give us to help in our quest."
The DM shifted uncomfortably and addressed me as translator: "Uh, it's evident to you that this request is impolite and asking for far too much."
DM as Blink Dog: "What did he ask?"
Me, thinking quickly: "Oh, he asked for a bonus. Equipment and food costs for the expedition."
DM as Blink Dog: "Well, I suppose that would be all right. 500 gold pieces should suffice."
PC: "What did he say?"
Me: "He said no."

Druids are fun. I should play them more often.

I'm frequently amazed at how PCs will take other PCs at their word like that. I had a Traveler campaign once where they decided to put the con man (openly an on-the-run criminal who shuffled identities like a deck of cards and came on board specifically to evade the authorities) in charge of the ship's finances and cargo, because he knew how to talk to people. Nobody ever bothered to double check the ship's financial logs, they just outright trusted him. It was stunning.

In the player's defense he made sure to always keep the ship's trades at a profit so the party benefited; rather than just raw theft, he only skimmed off the top and eventually jumped ship at a port after stealing enough to buy a starship of his own (and rolled up a new character). THEN they decided to check the finances and hired a bounty hunter.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

the_steve posted:

I know nothing of Battletech, but I know good story when I read one, and this is good story.

For context: one of the results of the coup was that the great general who eventually put it down, Kerensky, bailed rather than get pulled into the politics of the power vacuum afterwards. He took his loyal troops, went beyond the edge of the known universe, and created a warrior-state that was loyal to the Camerons and the Star League. (Longer story is that it all went horrifically, terribly wrong and created the retarded baby of the Klingons and the bad tropes from a samurai flick but that's another story.)They showed up again a few hundred years later as the Clans, who were the in-universe rough equivalent of the Mongols descending on Europe. They were a horror that ravaged the whole universe, wrecked basically everything left behind, kick-started technological advancement by bringing lost weapons back (which caused even MORE widespread destruction) and hosed everything up in general.

It wasn't supposed to be some folks in an underwater base but hey! Surprise!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It's been a hell of a read, Cobi. Thanks for sharing it over these years.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I have wasted my life.

Edit - oh man, reading it over there are so many things I got wrong because I joined the campaign late and was going off of second hand mentions for past stuff. Have tempted to go back and edit, but when legend becomes fact...

Next campaign I’ll take better notes from the start.

Don't knock yourself, Cobi. What you've done here's inspired me to start doing write-ups for one of my groups - it's already become a big part of that game, and that's heavily on you.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

On quick math you're looking at something like a twelve mile diameter impact crater alone, so that's pretty close to 'every NPC in the game you have met so far is dead'.

Actually thinking about it, the damage would be worse in most fantasy realms. They tend to have much more elaborate and deep underground geography, and that's going to all get pretty hosed from the massive tectonic shifts that would result.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The solution is to play a better system or get a better GM.

Echo on this.

Any GM who would bring an entirely new player into their game and then willingly let them do nothing for an entire session before effectively killing their character off is a horrible GM. "Well, the dice/cards said so" is a lousy excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Aniodia posted:

sorta cat-piss

:wtc:

This sounds like that old Returners Final Fantasy RPG, in that someone took something that worked perfectly fine in a video game and tried to make it work without electronics, except they kept all the math that was able to be done by computers in milliseconds and have shoved it onto human players and dice-based methods and are hoping it works exactly the same.

As one of the people who made that game, I take offense.

We never did anything nearly as bad as this abomination. It was ugly and bad, but

quote:

"For example, let's say you want to know how much damage Tackle does. You open the app, notice that the Power is 40. You duplicate the 4 and that gets you the type of die you should roll for damage, in this case a 1d8. You round anything below 40 to a 1d4 and you divide accuracy by half to get your to-hit bonus rate. You add +1 to damage per every 10 Attack you've got over their respective defense and you add +1 to hit and damage per every 5 Speed you've got the enemy Pokemon. I'm a tad annoyed at how simple the conversion system turned out but it'll have to do until I can find a more efficient formula.

That needs to be dragged out back and shot.

Seriously Azran, :sever:.