Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ocrumsprug posted:

GM: You are a bus driver. What do you do?
Player: Drive the bus I guess.
GM: Do go on.

I'm imagining the most boringgreatest charity drive in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Colon V posted:

Where are all these cool evil campaigns happening, and why am I not a part of one?

It's just like real life: you either invite yourself to one, or you start your own.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I am one-hundred-percent opposed to this vile idea of treating droids as if they were people and not, at best, useful and amusing possessions.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:byodood: We don't serve their kind here!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This game sounds like part rpg, part riddling contest to the death with only Star Wars canon trivia.

(which is to say, it sounds good)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

Feeling threatened, my robot gunslinger attempted to figure out just how to get rid of this guy.

Haha, yeah, you certainly do prefer characters who don't get involved in messy human social interactions, like actually saying "hey, why don't you quit being such a jerk" or "your character is making it not fun to play this game".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

Needless to say, you raise a good point.

Perhaps, but I was also being snide, and it seems you're self-aware enough not to have deserved it.

Play games, have fun.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bassetking posted:

I went on to keep gaming with them for another four years after that happened.

This is like the cat-piss story-ending equivalent of "...and I know...because I *was* that crazy killer!!"

quote:

There's no witty end here. No catchy denouement. I did something stupid by responding in the manner in which I did. He did something stupid by openly playing favorites at the table. She did something stupid by thinking that she could make the rest of the table like and respect her by mocking me. Nobody came out of that story looking good.

I'm still pretty convinced that if there was a greater culture of equity at the game-table, that story would have ended differently, though.

It was a tough time, but you sound like you're in a better place now. May you with regularity find games you like and friends to play them with.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Presumably he means they have stunted moral sensibilities.

Volmarias posted:

Evil characters are not irrational characters, just morally limited. If one of your party members is going to screw up your schemes of world domination, kill them. Darwinism is the best way to weed out the chaotic stupid here.

Alternately, talk to the players, your friends, and find out what you all want from the game? It's just crazy enough to work.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Section Z posted:

Yeah, awkwardness can be one of the great joys of being the Helpful Evil PC.

"He donated a kidney to me when I needed one."
"He saved me from that elaborate death trap with the beavers that had dynamite strapped to their tails."
"He picked up my drycleaning for me."

"Hey guys? Anyone else want some of this? It's great!"

"...Where the hell did he even get a baby seal to eat in the first place?"

Quirk is fun, but Alignment is dumb.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Section Z posted:

Is it okay to attempt to be a parody of alignment results though?

I'll allow it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't know that there is a definitive such game, but those are good options. There's also Wushu, very much a "trick your friends into making up stories" system. ghost//echo has the most replay value of any one page game I know. And those are both free, which helps...

Really, the best game for such things is whichever engages your friends. If it makes them want to talk about what's happening, that's the real measure of success.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If you like your space-trading game to be drama-filled, just play Apocalypse World in space, and note how there's a 1-to1 correspondence between playbooks and Firefly characters.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

should we start a gaming evangelicalism thread?

Every thread should be that thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Back when I played Magic, I could not loving resist ending every third or so turn by saying, with perfect gravity, "...and I play a trap card face-down." This obv. made me extremely popular.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This thread activated my trap post.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

mllaneza posted:

An Arbites-Inquisition-Heretics-Ordinary Citizens game based on The Wire would be phenomenal.

It would be really heretical though!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Joe sky lives.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Suddenly, Mitch stands up and screams at the top of his lungs:

See, this is why i keep telling you guys not to break people's verisimilitude!!!

(It's messed up you're still friends with this person.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Oh, I'm not. I haven't seen him in a decade.
I actually started getting nostalgia goggles about those guys the other night, until I remembered this story and a few other less interesting and more horrible ones. Looks like I'm not gonna give them a call after all. ;)

I apologize for any bad thoughts I thought of you, and I can completely sympathize with that exact position.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Radish posted:

So that's the story of how a fairy gimmick designed to further the plot and a 50 gold magic item almost destroyed a party from within.

I believe it was Bertrand Russel who said "that which can be destroyed by a fairy gimmick, should be."

The monk sounds like the worst kind of attention-demanding "I'm a ninja" player.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Why not say so, with his words?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

An npc, having a barbecue?! Just what is going on in this game...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

The worst thing about roleplaying games is the people who play them.

RPG is other people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tollymain posted:

My god. I remember playing this game in my old college gaming club. We never had anything this hilarious happen though :saddowns:

I don't know how you can avoid it. Every Zombie Card is an invitation to make with ridiculous roleplay, or at least make a silly voice.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Holy poo poo, I would love to play Soviet Ghost Busting. Or just read about it. It would make an awesome urban fantasy series.

It is a new Russia now, my friend! Many exciting business opportunities in previously state-run industries!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

the worst character

A session could not go by without someone saying "I loving HATE David..."

I have found a contradiction in your tale. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Half of the satire in Paranoia is targeting death-heavy mother-may-I dungeon crawls. The arbitrary dictates of friend computer represent the mis-match of expectations in the shared imagination space in groups without functional trust and communication.

E: I am 100% sure that I read a story in g.txt about someone going "Of course the player should have known that cloak was covered in death-mold! I told him what color it was and everything!"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 4, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

You want to pick yourself up a copy of Don't Rest Your Head and apply this hack to it:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?412782-DRYH-Venture-Brothers-Can-t-Best-Your-Dad

Of course Bailywolf had already made this game. Of course!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I have never heard a story about wargames of any stripe that didn't end with "and then he threw a tantrum and stormed off", usually with a table flip and/or merchandise damage added in.

Selection bias! People are way more likely to repeat those kinds of experiences than "One time we played a game and everything happened as is normally expected, all participants had fun and parted on friendly terms."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Then make a thread for it because I really curious as to where exactly you're going with this, where you're coming from, what you consider a "glorified wargame", and what games you do play that are so very different from the baseline.

There is literally a thread for :airquote:indie:airquote: games, to say nothing of threads for various out-there un-war games, to say even more nothing about Fiasco, which makes frequent appearances in this thread including on this very page.

It's great to be into wow-gamey stuff like 3e, but please don't pretend like it's the only poo poo ever shat.

e: Actually, speaking of Fiasco, the bestest briefest survey of rpg possibilities is probably just the Bully Pulpit Games corpus, especially their free downloads. Just please do direct further inquiries in the appropriate thread. :)

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 15, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The disks are mountable on a spindle, right? I would have guessed he was pulling a ":smug: Honey, have you seen the hand towel?:smug:" moment.

Don't pretend you haven't been there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Colon V posted:

As Golden Bee said, it's a notable gaming story- this thread's title is inspired by Cat Piss Man, you can't say "I played a game with someone kinda weird" isn't within its purview.

People getting shot? What's that got to do with gaming?!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Error 404 posted:

"My name is Mr. Concern, and you are none of mine."
-stakes enemy vamp to leave out for the sun, walks away in slow motion, puts on sunglasses-

Obligatory.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh, you may say that the bar wench should not have been suplexed, but I say to you that her suplexing was an unfortunate byproduct of my need to suplex something

Pretty sure suplexes are an inherent good.

(eta quote)

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 14, 2013

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

For those unfamiliar the language of Glorious Rokugan. a 'shugenja' is a wizard, 'Matsu' and 'Kakita' are family names, 'Seppun' are servants and guards of the Emperor, and a 'Hare' is a kind of large-eared rat famed for its agility and cleverness.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Notable gaming experience: against all common morals and sense, I play RPGs with people younger and less credentialed than me!

e: vvv legit thoughts

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 12, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dareon posted:

Just saw this on imgur, I vaguely remember seeing it before, but who knows, it may be new!

The problem is that this immediately puts clean customers on guard.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

XyloJW posted:

I'm told this story goes here:

In my hometown area (pop: 250,000) there's only one gaming store. It's in the ghetto and has bars on the windows. It's part gaming store, part gym, and part liquor store. That might sound cool, but it's the worst aspects of all three. The owner has his weight bench in the center of the store and other machines set up behind the register. I don't know if customers can use it because I've never seen anyone ask. He works out all day when he's not refereeing 40k games. So the whole places stinks of his sweat. As I mentioned it's in the ghetto, and he also sells liquor and condoms and cigarettes, so you get homeless people and crackheads coming in all the time.

Also he's a huge grognard. My friend was trying to introduce me to 40k and we were playing a very casual game just so he could show me the ropes. I made a move, and afterwards I realized I'd misunderstood how the phases go, so my friend let me take back the move. The owner sees us not doing things totally by regulation and came over and basically told us we had to follow the official rules to use his tables, and stood there watching us the rest of the time to make sure my friend didn't cut me any slack and that there were no takebacksies.

I would watch an HBO Series about this man.

E: "He works out all day when he's not refereeing 40k games."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Barudak posted:

No no, you make them question whether or not they're really human and leave them with existential angst.

Or you know, sticking your thumbs in their eyeballs. It depends how you're feeling.

Howl hauntingly and shove your head through a wall.