Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So the one person I play with came up with a new D&D race. Its half dwarf and half orc. He calls it a dorc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Josef bugman posted:

I mean would it be possible for a new person to play in that sort of game and it would simply be absurdly difficult?
I've done it before where we needed more players in a game that was pretty much killy killy stabby stabby you should know the rules but only because I was the only person there and we needed more players. Fortunately it wasn't like they were completely new to D&D just 4E.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Randalor posted:

:downswords: honestly did not see what amounted to brainwashing creatures as evil, as long as he could justify it.
Technically babies are completely blank slates when first born though.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Triangulum posted:

While it does take a standard action for the cleric, so does having your caster or melee characters pop a potion. In my mind it's more efficient to keep waste your turn healing a player with a high damage output than have them waste their turn by eating a healing pot. And honestly, I've never played with a cleric who couldn't outheal a monster's damage by a significant amount (granted, my group consists entirely of serious min maxers). 9 times out of 10 I don't even have to use anything higher than cure moderate to give a full heal, even on characters with a ton of HP. If you know you're the main healer in a good or neutral party, there's basically no reason not to worship Pelor, take the healing domain, and then go for the Radiant Servant route. Also taking an item like an amulet of retributive healing really helps the "can only heal one person at a time" issues before you get mass cure light (especially if you're filling the off tank slot in really small parties). If you build it right, you can end up healing for way more than any monster of level appropriate CR can output in a couple rounds.
How the hell does that work? I'm starting out playing Pathfinder and the only healing spell I have access to (Cure Light Wounds) is outpaced by the amount of damage I can do at level.

quote:

This of course is what a normal, well adjusted adult would do when confronted with something they possibly find upsetting. Naturally the GM being an Aspie Furry this was not the solution he took. Of course finding Battletech players who aren't hosed in the head seems to be nearly impossible. I've had way more fun playing BT with people who don't play BT than people who actually play the game.
I'm reminded of my Battletech group which basically promised one of its younger players to paint an metal Atlas pink for him if he actually doesn't blow it up. We all thought it was going to look really stupid. Turns out it with he color scheme that the person picked made the Atlas look like a cool looking clown.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Radish posted:

Honestly I think combat healing shouldn't even be a thing anymore. Every time someone plays the healer (at least from what I've experienced) that person is expected to be functioning at 100% all the time, take the optimum healing perks, always be attentive so no one is in danger, forsake interesting combat actions in order to help the party, etc while everyone else gets to gently caress around, do "hilariously" wacky stuff, high five about huge damage, or whatever. Also everyone knows exactly how to play a healer as they tell the healer how to play his or her role constantly but for some reason none of them want to do it. It must be much more fun to imagine yourself healing.

I was recently in a failed 4e group where I was the bard healer. I would constantly get complaints that I was spending too much time fighting (I was a valorous Bard so I was speced to hit stuff) and not enough time healing everyone else. Basically they were complaining that I wasn't paying enough attention when they were getting low on HP even though they apparently weren't paying enough attention themselves to tell me that they needed it. So rather than have to spend the entire game looking at everyone else's sheets (I spent a session literally asking every turn if someone needed healing since I got bitched at when I missed someone) I said "fine" respeced the character to take advantage of the Skald healing method where basically I get the same amount of heals but players use their minor actions to heal themselves in their own turn. That's in addition to encounter and daily heals I provide on my own. Of course after one session I got "This sucks because now we can't use our minor actions for our OWN stuff :qq:" and was a HUGE inconvenience but no one really had a good answer why when asked (I think one wanted to use an encounter minor or something and if that happened to be on the exact turn he needed to heal the world would end). After that I just passive aggressively did whatever the gently caress I wanted and just stopped caring. People stopped going shortly after anyway.
That sounds more like player problems more than mechanics problems.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 10, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Radish posted:

I think it's a little of both. Combat healing is so incredibly passive (it's hard to get excited when all you you are doing is making sure your party is treading water) that it's hard to really get invested.
The Bard is the least passive healer in 4th edition.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Hamboning posted:

I don't think any Leader except for the Lazylord can be described as 'passive'.

Lazylord is, consequently, the least fun way to play a Warlord.
But I mean its healing mechanic lets you shuffle people that you are healing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

We had at least one player with a 0/0 mechwarrior which is like equivalent to a 20th level 3.x D&D character, or a 30th 4th. by BT rules he simply cannot be any better!)
I'm pretty sure he cheated because I just had this conversation yesterday about how 0/0 pilots were errated into oblivion with my GM.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 14, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Speaking of Battletech. There were two fairly young kids that were actually really interested in the Battletech game yesterday. So I was sitting there explaining to them how the game worked and answering question. It was really kind of adorably cute in that they were asking questions as to the manner in which my Warhammer blew up and why we were retreating. The one kid actually said,"Did it just leave the armor standing there when it blew up?"

Then during a game of Rifts:
Player: What is it with you and duct tape? Its been hundreds of years since its been invented. Hasn't there been something better invented yet.
Me: Mega Ducttape. :rimshot:

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 14, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Hermetic posted:

You have spoken it, thus it has now been written in a worldbook.
Honestly I was hedging my bets that it was actually in a worldbook. Rifts is the work of a madman and I absolutely adore it for that reason. Here are some more incidents from the Rifts game:
GM: You know this is like taking a Wizards spellbook.
Me: Ok then. Lets rip pages out of it. Maybe burn it. Make little doodles in it.
Other Player: Wait. When did this turn into Slayers?

quote:

Kids apparently fuckin love giant robots still. My friend's daughter was super into our Battletech game as well, asking about the same kinda stuff. We wound up digging out his historical markers for smoke and trenches and stuff so she could watch the battlefield get blown to poo poo around us and all.

Kids may be hard to raise, but one thing is always true, they fuckin love giant robots
Giant robots is how I became an engineer. :3: The disturbingly weird fact is that my first exposure to Battletech was in a Kinex construction set of a Madcat long before I knew it was based upon a war game. Such a great construction set because the legs articulated and everything.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 14, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Flavivirus posted:

Well, you can very easily reskin a lot of the powers to you just cheering your friends on or warning them of enemies - so about as pacifist as a guy that hangs around a group of professional murderhobos can be.
That is ignoring the fact that some of the best Warlord powers for a lazylord involves swinging a sword. Granted you aren't going to hit but it still isn't even close to being a pacifist.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Blackstone posted:

:j: : "Friend Computer! We have come here..."
That is Monty Python?? If you hadn't have said anything I would have thought it was a Paranoia reference. :psyduck:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

My Rifts game keeps on getting more and more insane. I came with a really bizarre joke which ended up with someone actually suggesting that we try to weaponize Durian.
:d: : For you some fruit that you wanted. For you a watermelon. For you apples. And for you a Durian.
:o: :A what?
:d: :A Durian.
:o: :What is a durian?
:d: :A stinky fruit.
:cool: :Its actually illegal to bring them into hotels in Indonesia. The smell is quite atrocious and hard to eliminate.
:o: :Why would you eat it?
:cool: :Its actually quite good.
:o: :Huh...
Eventually we enter into negotiations later to try and fence goods. The character I gave the durian is there.
:o: :I have my hands on the durain stored underneath the table if things get troublesome.
Then later he turns to me and says.
:o: :We should weaponize this.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 6, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

So today was the skill challenge section of encounters. I got stuck in the room where I had to lie in order to progress by rolling a bluff check in response to a question that a statue of Loth would ask. So on the first try I rolled a 1. On the second try I rolled a 5. Third time the statue asked,"What is my greatest skill in life?" I said sarcastically,"Of course can't you tell. Its my ability to lie." I promptly then roll a 1.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Here is another quick story from the same session from my previous post. Someone was playing a Drow Hexblade and we came upon a contigent of Drow.
DM: What is your name young drow?
Player: Err.. What is my name? Let me check my sheet. Ehhh... I'm from Clan Sheet.
*Rolls ridiculously high bluff*
DM: Clan sheet? Haven't they been dead for ages?
Player: Errrr.... No.
*Rolls ridiculously high bluff*

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 2, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Hehehe... Once again the Encounters group pulls out some more insanity.
:o:: Whats a Macaw?
:confused:: Whats a what now?
:o:: I have it written down in my inventory. I have a Macaw.
:): Its a bird.
:o:: Why do I have a bird?
:): I don't remember. You just gave yourself a Macaw at one point. Trust me its just a bird.
:confused:: I don't remember any of that. :psyduck:

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 19, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Whybird posted:

The other players are terrified of him. They're convinced he's got some sort of master plan that he's working towards and they haven't figured out what it is.
And watch as it turns out that he just likes collecting stuff. :downs: I think at one point I had a shiny bauble, a cat, pig, eye patch, monocle, boot, a bunch of cool rocks, and a pair of tongs in my one Pathfinder game. The scary fact being is that I used the cat, eye patch, and boot to great effect in that game.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 2, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

He killed a Mutants and Masterminds game in the first ten minutes, because nobody had quite realised the implications of his power set (Most points in Duplication, with independent clones, and Super-Speed... Game crashed with the words "gently caress you, I am not rolling 2048 initiative, attack, and damage rolls, and nor are you!")
I'm pretty sure 2nd and 3rd edition actually have warnings about duplication powers due to how broken it can get if you don't watch out.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

^^^Unless you are playing 4th edition where the sneaky bastards have con as a primary.

JamieTheD posted:

Yeah, they do... which I found out after I'd found a 2E book.

Was that warning in the 1E book? Its the only edition I don't own.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 29, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

LordZoric posted:

I kind of hate the d20 system, but M&M is pretty cool, especially 3rd. For me though, Wild Talents is where it's at. ORE is beautiful.
That is because M&M isn't really a d20 system. I always thought problems with the game are completely unrelated to the d20 system and more systemic of issues involved with point buy games.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

theroachman posted:

I'll cut off the dialogue because I'm tired of it and I ran out of smilies, but for those who didn't catch it yet: I honestly always thought roleplaying was just a matter of describing your actions, paraphrasing the things you say, which skills you want to use, etc. I never actually realised I was expected to PLAY a ROLE, as in "act it out" vocally. The moment I realised what I was expected to do...what these people were expecting me to do...I just froze. I wasn't ready. I couldn't do it. I felt so incredibly self-conscious, and it got worse by the minute. Part of me was angry: Eddy shouldn't have hooked the story on me, he knew this was my first time! A bigger part of me was way angrier at myself: How could I have been so stupid? How could I not know what would be expected of me? I can't do what they're doing!
Honestly, I can completely sympathize with you because its got a bit of inherent silliness to it that you have to get over it. My first few times doing it I had the same problem. Then it eventually got to the point where I realized that everyone is doing the same thing and there is no reason to be self conscious because what I'm doing is fundamentally no less silly than anyone else at the table.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 4, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

No, no it doesn't. Sounds like the guy was being a dick.
Yeah well welcome to Call of Cthullu. A game system that in retrospect is not the type of thing you should be your first introduction to gaming at all because it adds the twist in that you are going to die, go insane, or suffer some extreme phenomenon.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

All that is just more reason for the keeper to not be a fuckhead about your stats. He's got plenty of ways to dick you over that are entertaining and more than enough trap options baked in, arbitrarily saying "you didn't investigate in the exact manner I want you to so I'm loving your stats up" is just being unreasonably lovely.

Actually my point was that no sane person would introduce people to the hobby with Call of Cthulhu because it requires the DM to really really really not be a dick even if he isn't one normally.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Which I still don't agree with, because you can use just about any game to introduce people to the hobby. You just have to not be a prick about things.
Yeah and from my own personal experience and quite honestly horrible luck not being a prick about things means having to DM fiat a success when RAW I completely failed at what I was trying to do with similar mechanics used in Call of Cthulu. We joke about it all the time because of how RAW my character is functionally useless without DM intervention due to my inability to roll. If I'm going kill off my character I'm going to kill him/her off because I choose to not because I can't roll even if my life depended on it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 7, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Colon V posted:

The best puns are the cheesy ones. :allears:
I've got one. My DM was running a session where someone possessed a warforged and used it to kill another.
Friend: What does the law say about possession? I'm not entierly sure.
Me: Well you do know that possession is nine tenths of the law. :rimshot:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

One of the players in my group had a similar reaction when we were trying out Hunter and he said "I grab the rapier and stab at the Nazi shadow ghost of Ernst Rohm."
I had that same reaction in my Eberron game for what was our groups first major accomplishment in the game. "We managed to sucessfully negotiate.... mining rights..... Huh... That sounds a lot more boring than it actually was."
EDIT:
Said in my L5R.
"Meat beans. We need meat beans now. And this time make sure to cook them."

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 17, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

TheDemon posted:

And finally, Boudica, a halfling warlord, who is an extremely naive guard captain. Always tries to talk her way out of a situation, even when it's completely inappropriate. Especially when it's completely innapropriate. Also a bit of a ditz. This isn't even purely In Character either, her player always favors the talking solution,
I really have to know what she's tried to do because I'm the say dam way.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 29, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

LordZoric posted:

Now there's something I need to explain to really hit this home. Our GM doesn't like skill checks. No sir, not at all. Thinks they're just a way for players to be lazy and skip working out mysteries for themselves.
I said this in the D&D Next thread and I'll say it again here. There is a large difference between pixel bitching for information and working out a mystery.

Yawgmoth posted:

At least with that GM because holy gently caress, skill checks are the meat and potatoes of almost every RPG out there! I love it when my players use their skills to gather clues/leads/info/etc. because it tells me they're interested in figuring out the bloody plot.I will never understand the mentality of "no, you can't use any of your in-game stuff to figure out this in-game thing". If I wanted to just use my own skills I'd buy a loving book of brain teasers and do it all by myself.
Its kind of a weird thing because the GM actually has the right idea. For mysteries you generally ditch skill checks and basically lay the facts out in an accessible manner for the player to interpret. The information can be incomplete or even distorted but at least its better than having nothing because you failed your skill check to go find a clue. That is the primary reason why Gumshoe as a system exists.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 31, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

No, he doesn't. He has the absolute antithesis of the right idea. He is the platonic ideal of wrongness in GMing. If the players want to dig through it with their own heads, let them. If the players don't want to do this or if they can't figure it out after a time, you give them a goddamn roll and be done with it. And if they fail the roll, you have something else interesting happen because when you give a roll (or any event where there is possible success and failure), you need to have something interesting happen either way. A locked door you have to pick is bad if the price of failure is just sitting around doing nothing until the lock is picked. A locked door that if not properly picked explodes is good because the explosion causes other events to happen, like guards being alerted or evidence being left behind.
In a game with an overarching mystery having the players roll to get themselves on track means one of two things:
A) You confused the players with too much information.
B) You didn't give them enough information.
In theory if you keep the players engaged in a manner where they start acting upon the information in a way they shouldn't really be making dice rolls at all because that is the fun of the game.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 31, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

The entire point of a role-playing game is that you're playing a role. I roll up a master detective, or a charming rogue, because I am not those things but want to play as them. The entire point of a skill check is so I can lean on the accepted talents of my character, which are supposed to far outstrip mine. If the GM makes every single puzzle something I can figure out myself without ever having to utilize my character's skills, why am I even playing a master detective? Why don't I just play myself?
Because I'm not arguing for using player knowledge. I'm arguing against dice rolls to determine character knowledge. Honestly my worst experience in terms of roll playing is something that my one GM has to actively fight against because more often than not skills end up being a horrible binary pass fail system which tends to wildly swing way to far in either direction to anything that is remotely supposed to resemble competence.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 31, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Edit:
Then how would you determine character knowledge? Because saying "your character knows everything you know (but only what you know)" is a great way to encourage metagaming.
Do you actually know what the Gumshoe system actually is?

Chaltab posted:

It could be that, perhaps, there's a reasonable middle ground between 'You're not allowed to roll skill checks' and 'roll skill checks in lieu of RPing and decision making'.
Yeah its actually skill checks auto-succeed. I kind of hosed up in that I didn't entirely realize that the DM wasn't even providing any information that the characters would know.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 31, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

No. I didn't even know you were referring to a specific system because you didn't say anything until just now and an offhand mention you have apparently edited into a much previous post.
Honestly if I had written down character instead of player in my original post it would have probably rectified the situation. I generally don't distinguish between the two but yes you are of course right that a character will have information that a player doesn't have and in my defense I absolutely try and make sure that happens through the course of the game. We should continue this discussion in the game design/dming thread because its not a bad discussion.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Not to mention that 1) it will likely never happen, Record of the Lodoss War is an anomaly, and 2) Unless you're all on the same page and grant consent, swiping your characters for his novel is dickish and somewhat illegal.
You know. I've always been curious as to the Replay material that gets published in Japan because even though Record of the Lodoss War is an anomaly its only an anomaly in how popular it became. According to Wikipedia RPG replays are actually more popular than novels based off of the RPGs.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Wahad posted:

Not until we get stats for half-warforged. Fantasy Cyborgs, hell yeah.
Those actually exist as a prestige class in 3.5E and paragon path in 4E.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I attempted one time, one time to do the "Super awesome DMPC" thing, just to see if I could thread that needle and not make it poo poo. He was an idiot, not actually that powerful, didn't overshadow anyone else and one of the players ended up burning him to a crisp while riding a commandeered dragon...
What exactly is the definition of a DMPC because its one of those issues that always tends to confuse me?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lallander posted:

I can't blame you there. That sounds terrible. I watched some Pathfinder Society types playing and it was almost that bad. I can't say I see the draw to the idea at all. Stricter rules for what kinds of characters you can make, what games you can play. All so that you can go play with total strangers the next time. The group I watched the last time had apparently played the module before and were just doing it again for the experience or something.
Its really dependent on the people because I met most of my friends through organized play. Most of my problems with organized play is with the adventures design because both PFS, LFR, and Encounters tends to waiver between fun and horribly designed.

Admittedly, some of the hilariously stupid stuff in gaming has occurred during organized play. Never in my life have I seen a greater reaction to a DM frenetically realize that his first potential player kill almost involved beating someone to death with a broom with a critical hit. Then there was the my friends and I decided to turn a bunch of Kobold's futile attempts into trying to spring their own trap into a game of baseball.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 27, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Piell posted:

Counterpoint: Evil tongue studs and nipple clamps. Lichloved (aka Skill Focus: loving the Zombie)
I thought Lichloved was in Open Grave.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Green Intern posted:

I encourage everyone discussing Sam-units to read up on MIT and their use of Smoots in the measuring of the Harvard Bridge (364.4 Smoots +/- 1 ear).
You forget to add that the markings are actually still on the bridge.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Whybird posted:

My proudest moment as a a
Paranoia GM was driving a player to eat his own psychological evaluation form out of frustration.
I still think the greatest Paranoia moment I've ever had is when I tried to outsmart the GM. We were testing the reverse grenade which obviously did what it sounds like it would. I doing the sensible thing moved right next to the target. The GM rolled a one and had the NPC drop the grenade next to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Edit: Also yes, gently caress metaplot in general. The PCs are the stars (all of them!), not writer mary sues.
Wasn't it you who both Alien Rope Burn and myself ended up point out that the DM wasn't even getting the metaplot correctly?
EDIT:
Yeah it was you who we both told you that he was making up poo poo that wasn't even in the game to screw you over.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 13, 2014