Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
This was about 6 or 7 years ago so it was topical at the time.

One of the guys in our group, "Ted", is a serious min/maxer/optimizer. I'm DMing a 3.5 game and his character is basically a Smurf cleric. Ted is very smug about his ridiculous AC and claims that he is unkillable. So I attack the party with Shadows and drop his 5 strength to 0 with one hit. This kills him after 2 minutes as no one else in the party can cast Restoration.

LDK: "I've got good news Ted."

Ted: "What, my character isn't dead?"

LDK: "No, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico."

Ted looks down at his character sheet, looks up at me, looks down at his character sheet, looks up at me. Jumps up from his chair and pulls out his knife, I jump out of my chair and he proceeds to chase me around the table a few times before the other players calm him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I took over DMing for our group part way through an adventure path. Our DM had just moved away and my PC was recently retired. Well, sent to jail by the other PCs for his antisocial behavior. I used him as a henchman in the final dungeon of the module and the other player's enjoyed killing him.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Sorry, thought I was in the Pathfinder thread.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 1, 2012

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Radish posted:

I'm running the Kingmaker campaign...fairy story

That was better handled than in our game. We burned down the fairy village as retribution for their pranks and have been in a campaign long guerilla war with them. Little bastards are tougher than the Viet Cong.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
If Paul and everyone else involved is having fun does it matter what system they're playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Railing Kill posted:

Agreed. The game store my buddy owns (Crossroad Games in Standish, Maine, now that I've already named Spellbound and Game Citadel) has always had a policy of free table space. He actively encouraged people to sit down and play, even if they hadn't bought anything. He didn't ever harass anyone to buy poo poo, didn't charge table fees, and didn't have a policy of playing only games that he sold. When I was in high school, I would spend whole afternoons there, playing things like Munchkin (back when it first came out :corsair: ). I probably sold at least a dozen copies of that game alone for him, just by playing it with folks in the store. Good game stores know that a healthy game store is an active one. The people in the store will buy poo poo, now or later. A lot of gamers might get to try a game for free at a store and buy ti online, but just as many will be willing to pay the extra few bucks for the sake of loyalty (or to get it sooner).

Sometimes the free table policy would burn him, but things always worked out in the store's favor. For example, there were a group of RPG players that the Crossroads folks lovingly called "The Orphans." They were four elementary and middle school-aged kids who's parents dropped them off at the store and basically used it like a daycare. They would cloister themselves into the RPG room and play GURPS and BESM for hours on end. They never bought anything besides candy and soda. They took up that table for the entire day. That's kind of obnoxious, but they would move if need be. They usually understood that they spent a great deal of time at the store, and that other people's use of the room took precedent, not because of their age or how little money they spent, but just because of the time they had already spent there. This is one of the worst-case examples I can think of from that store, but those kids did buy poo poo, and the situations was easily manageable with a small amount of diplomacy. (The owner was more mad at The Orphans' parents for using his store as a daycare, but he never took it out on the kids.)

+1 on you're wife's art work being great. I've exchanged emails a few times with your buddies shop (don't know if I spoke with him or staff) and they were very pleasant and helpful. Hopefully I'll get to visit it some day.