Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sounds like a hacker group in shadowrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To dip into canon locations...

Hologram Fun Land. And Euro Hologram Fun.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

By the way, speaking of star wars, did you ever manage to hijack that death star?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 24, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember seeing a quote from a stormfront poster about how just because Drizzt has black skin doesn't make him, you know, black, he's white on the inside.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So that magic item knot thing you got... that wouldn't happen to have secretly been woven out of the thread that the god of secrets and deceit swapped out, would it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm just imagining Harry Dresden deadpanning his way through a Quentin Tarantino movie, and it is amazing. :syoon:

A) Watch Dusk Till Dawn
B) Don't read any spoilers for it, just watch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ilor posted:

And by literally, you mean figuratively, because according to their spots those are totally sea leopards.
:goonsay:

Sorry, but to say if it's leopardy you can only answer in the form of a question

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

...and it turned out it was. Wow. Good instincts on that uncle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The uncle is actually under a charm placed by the mother to make the father jealous.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There is a charm on the mother, but it turns out that the charm's magical energies are really what the uncle is attracted to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anticheese posted:

What kind of shows would you get to see on networks like Necromancers' Broadcasting Circle?

It's poorly run so there's a lot of dead air

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snow, because the mountain is a volcano.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No, what you do is you pick a door, then you have one of the less useful party members guess, and run for a door. The sphinx will only let them go through a door that leads to instant death, so you then switch which door you think is the correct one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

I've travelled up the mountain
Through sun and storm and wind
But even when the doors lay open
They will not let me in

Dang, you too buddy? That's harsh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just have him play a ghost.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No Luck Needed posted:

I found a copy of Oriental Adventures AD&D first edition used at my local card shop and picked it up. I showed it off to my friend Zach and he said he wanted to be a Wu-Jen Ninja. Not knowing what that was I read up a bit on in in the book that I just acquired. I liked the different classes, each got a Ki-ability, and the honor system. I thought I would just pick up those ideas and drop it into a AD&D 2nd edition frame work and just go from there.

Was going to have three players, Zach as Wu-jen Ninja, Elizabeth as a Yakuza, and Alex I told could be a basic 2nd edition fighter. Alex did not think that was funny. After having dealt with my buddy in several previous games and his habit of railroading I did not feel he deserved to be a special class and if he wanted to play he could just be a fighter.

We got together and made Zach and Elizabeth’s characters. Alex as still fuming about being a samurai or bushi or anything but “just a fighter.” After a couple of hours we had Zach and Elizabeth good to go and Alex talked me into borrowing the Oriental Adventures book. He made up a bushi that I was pretty ok with, he did go all in on having mouth needles and figured I could DM fiat that he couldn’t talk with the needles in his mouth, so a win-win.

But when we actually got together to play, Alex had his own ideas of how the game world was going to work. Alex had read up all about martial arts in the Oriental Adventures book and wanted fighting modes. That was asking me to take a 1st edition rules set and apply it to 2nd and that was just too much work for me so I said no, we are just using the classes and weapons. The story was supposed to be the PCs looking for a runaway Yakuza and I asked them how they wanted to start. Alex had this whole plan how he was going to apprentice a sword smith and make himself a master work katana. I told him that was not possible and we get into a big argument about what his character can do and what his character cannot do. I just picked up my books and we never played that game again.

I did get my revenge on Alex. Alex was DMing and I just turned level 5 as a Halfling rogue. The big loot I had acquired was a 1000gp gem. I went back to town and started to craft “Hell on Wheels.” Zach the paladin had picked carpentry and engineering as proficiencies. We drafted plans for a battle wagon that instead of having fixed axles, each wheel would have it’s own axel and brake. We figured out lock brakes. Cars advertise anti-lock brakes that wont stick. We made lock brakes that would lock our wheels in places. We also were rigging up a system to unhook the horses and then use the lock brakes to stop the battle wagon when needed. Between the 4 PCs we had like 3000+ copper pieces and I talked them into melting it down to reinforce the wheels and create plating for the sides. We made gun ports on the side to shoot crossbows from cover and were working on a system to drop caltrops on approaching foes. All 4 PCs were super engaged and we were all ready to take “Hell on Wheels” out for a spin when Alex was like, “I can’t DM that!” What a tosser, he stopped that game there.

We both give each other poo poo over it still. He will say something like, X+Y would be a cool class combination, to which I say, “that is cool but not Wu-Jen Ninja cool.”

Both of those stories are straight out of the 2013 version of Journey to the West (now on netflix)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next they need to fight a giant slug.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Oh man, can you elaborate more? I want to hear some stories of this in action.

Xenophon posted:

After accomplishing the ascent the Greeks took up quarters in numerous villages, which contained provisions in abundance. Now for the most part there was nothing here which they really found strange; but the swarms of bees in the neighbourhood were numerous, and the soldiers who ate of the honey all went off their heads, and suffered from vomiting and diarrhoea, and not one of them could stand up, but those who had eaten a little were like people exceedingly drunk, while those who had eaten a great deal seemed like crazy, or even, in some cases, dying men. So they lay there in great numbers as though the army had suffered a defeat, and great despondency prevailed. On the next day, however, no one had died, and at approximately the same hour as they had eaten the honey they began to come to their senses; and on the third or fourth day they got up, as if from a drugging.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CobiWann posted:

We had to fight this Grell Queen and her minions on Sunday.

IT WAS FREAKIN' PREGNANT.

So what you're saying is the ranger has a new animal companion?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah the whole point of playtesting games is to stress test the mechanics. If you don't try to break them you're playing them wrong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Paid DMing has cropped up now and then outside of the con circuit (where buying in on a table is sorta expected. Varying results - if you trust the random thirdhand scuttlebutt that's how they fleshed out some of the random npcs in Baldur's gate, and sometimes you can get paid consistently to DM for teens at a community center. On the other hand some people who've tried it have crashed and burned

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

That story can't be true anyway, since half-orcs weren't a thing in Baldur's Gate (and there's no mines in the sequels.)
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Mulahey

Just some random miniboss.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doodmons posted:

This was a while back, but just chiming in as an actual scientist to say that this is horseshit. If one study contradicts another then 99% of the time it means that one or both of those studies is flawed and more work needs to be done. This is a good thing! It's not always obvious that a particular methodology isn't working out. Good studies are retracted all the time, this is a normal part of our developing understanding of the world. The other 1% of the time it means something really interesting is probably about to be discovered and that's even better! Good studies are not biased - this is difficult to do, but very possible and well worth it.

Please don't peddle this 'you can prove anything with a study' line. Education on the importance of good research and an interest in humanity as a whole doing good work to find out the truth is much more important than dismissing the whole thing as a lost cause because a lot of people do bad science. If you don't believe in studies and research, please educate yourself so you can recognise good research and bad research - it makes filtering out the truth from the lies in the mountain of "New Study Proves X" headlines possible and will improve your life immeasurably because you will be less susceptible to the media's attempts to deliberately deceive you. Remember: people who want to sell you things have a vested interest in making sure you dismiss the facts because 'you can prove anything with a study.'

For the record, I haven't read the studies Yawgmoth is talking about so they might be hot garbage for all I know. But what's important is that it's possible to go and check!

Psychology has a huge problem with replication and wishful thinking results though. Ego depletion and reconsolidation theory being recent examples.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'd work better for a downtime crafting feat, so long as it was balanced around getting the benefit all the time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think even a call to your standard RNG API is going to be good enough for government work.

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the_steve posted:

Wait, Intimidate check for Echolocation?
How does that work?

You can hear the walls quiver in fear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

The con man bargains for the ability to be the greatest thief in the world, and for a magic knife. He gets both, for the same price.

Now this is the point where I thought you were going to end up conning the devil and steal your souls back.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ilor posted:

Back when I was GMing Shadowrun, I just let the dice fall where they may. Once stupid people lost enough characters, they wised up. SR, especially in 2nd and 3rd Edition was pretty rough on people who tried to go the munchkin route. I remember people going balls-deep on Wired Reflexes and what not, only to discover that when the shooting started, all it meant was that they wasted ammo faster.

Which one of those was the edition where having 0 ranks in grenades was better than having 1 rank?

IIRC there was some scatter mechanic where you aimed the grenade and rolled to see how far away your throw was, except if you had 0 ranks you had a super lovely vague direction throw that homed in a little.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

My favorite use of the Deck was when we found one in a dragon's treasure hoard and the rogue was the only one of the party willing to pull from it. He chose to pull 3 times, for the first draw he got the one that gives you wishes, then used one wish to wish that every card in the deck was the one that gave you a ridiculous amount of XP, then wished to draw every card from the deck. I don't even remember what the DM did to salvage that.

"Okay, every card in the deck is the one that gives xp"

"You draw every card from the deck... somehow, it looks thinner?"

"You drew one xp-granting card. Enjoy your xp."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

they would be the Ferengi if they were more grognardy and misogynistic.
Ferengi are the WW staff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I see your point, but I think that I wrongly sold the "Seriously, not a vampire" Malkavian. From what I remember, he did know enough to be afraid of werewolves, but he just didn't think that he was a vampire personally. If another vampire revealed himself to him, he would panic and Obfuscate without realising it, then flee and justify it somehow later.

It was a bit like that episode of Forever Knight where Nick takes a bad head wound. He heals, because he's a vampire, but he has amnesia and literally forgets that he is a vampire for some days and goes about eating & drinking, which he normally never does. Natalie doesn't want to disabuse him of this, but of course LaCroix does.

I remember reading a VtM table story kinda similar. GM was having a couple of players introduced to the game blind, so they didn't know it was a Vampire game.

One guy was a member of a biker gang turned by a Malk, and once he found out about his supernatural strength immediately thought he was some kind of cyborg.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

the cult has been busy spreading a symbol among the populace, saying it's a sign of good fortune, luck, protection, etc. Asking where one such person got their symbol-necklace leads them to a magic item shop run by a man that claims he can make magic items in a couple of hours and is selling them for way cheaper than he should be; cheaper than the base materials cost in fact!

Lemme guess - this ancient symbol of good fortune looks like a crooked or spiraling cross, and the cult is run by occult-practicing, literal, Nazis

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Nobody batted an eye at the manipulative bdsmy lesbian teen vampire relationship from my Monsterhearts story. Maybe it's just a context thing.

I honestly don't read your monsterhearts stories.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah, just set it up as a Genos/Saitama apprenticeship scenario, and play it for comedy.

"Oh no, FIVE goblins!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like my burgermeisters well done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

That's something that the DM I mentioned last page was into too, for whatever idiotic reason. New character? Level 1. Everyone else in double digits? Level 1. It was 3.5, which meant that standing around with a thumb up your rear end for a few encounters would rocket you through the early levels, but you'd never fuckin' reach parity with the rest of the party, and you'd still have half a dozen levels worth of math to do after the first session.

It's 3.5, so a sufficiently-twinked out level one caster can take out enemies in the double digits.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Weapons of legacy are amazingly OP*

*As long as you found your own legacy, instead of using the premade ones.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wasn't the latest warhammer fantasy literally unplayable on release? Like they forgot how to put in rules for how to make an army or some poo poo.

Also there was a lot of dumb poo poo and a couple turn 1 instant wins?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The nice thing about the Lambda-class shuttles is that they only need a crew of one pilot (though a copilot makes things easier), and as far as I can tell the controls should be fairly standardized, so if any of the group can fly... anything, basically, then they'll be able to manage. They're designed at least partly to be troop transports; the Empire doesn't want them to be too fiddly.

If none of your PCs have any piloting skill at all, then A) suggest that one of them learn soon because dudes you're in fuckin' outer space, and B) have the shuttle in question be flown by a trainee pilot, with his instructor in the copilot's seat; the trainee has conveniently made sure that all the controls are properly labeled and has left his flight manual open on the dashboard, so that an unskilled pilot should be able to figure out the procedure sharpish as long as he has a few moments to study. Use this as a dramatic tension device, so that the relevant PC almost has the controls figured out just as the Imperials recover from all the explosions and start wondering why the supply shuttle is moving into a takeoff position.

Other neat things about the Lambda: 1. To quote Wookiepedia, "Additionally, in order to prove that the shuttle crew was working for the Empire, Lambda-class T-4a shuttles utilized special transponders to transmit secret codes to Star Destroyers.[4]" Keep in mind that the PCs may not know of the existence of this transponder or how to shut it off, meaning you can get a chase scene or two in before the slicer figures it out, and 2. the Lambda has a retractable rear-mounted double laser cannon, meaning you actually get some applicable armament to throw in to those chase scenes. Let the PCs shoot down a pursuing TIE or two on their way out the door, they will feel awesome about it.

Just stick the whole party into a single Y-wing.

That's what they did in The Glove of Darth Vader.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

TIE fighters certainly had low speed VTOL capability or else they'd never be able to launch and recover from Star Destroyers without the latter having a TIE-sized railgun since the former lacks landing gear.

Even so, landing directly on the wings in rough terrain would be difficult at best and severely damaging if not downright suicidal at worst. That's assuming the standard TIE, an interceptor, bomber, or advanced model it would prove impossible without landing gear as there's no way to passively balance the weight of those designs except under the lightest of gravity (unless for some reason they had really insane weight distribution).

They just turn off the artificial gravity to land them, silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Exploding roll and keep ends up with probability curves like this

Which end up obscuring the gently caress out of how likely you are to succeed at something.