Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

No joke, I would read the poo poo out of this if it was a 7 book series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, the "here's an awesome magic item! Oh, you like that? HAHA TOO BAD NOW IT'S GONE" thing is something that I only ever see people with huge control issues doing. It's a double dick move to say "I'm gonna give you this thing, now here's an event that will bring you into the party and integrate you somewhat with the setting that if you get involved with will permanently revoke that thing! Do you keep that thing I gave you or do you try to have fun? you can only pick one."

Although if you wanna get super pedantic you could ways say "the book is still in contact with my skin, as when I touched it some skin cells were naturally shed onto the book and you didn't say how much skin or if it needed to be attached to the rest of my body." :v:

Dude got the magic cape of camoflage and was explicitly told "If you lose track of it you will never find it". What does he do? He sets it down on the ground somewhere and fucks off.

Dude couldn't even put it in his pack when he was done getting painted red. He just loving left it in a field.

I don't think that the GM should gently caress players but the PC or the player himself deserved that one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SlimWhiskey posted:

I was talking last night with a girl who used to play in a game I ran. She's since moved, and I asked if she had found a new game to play in.

Apparently the only game she has been able to find is full of grognards. I run games fast and loose, with only light handling of the rules and with an emphasis on action and rule of cool. In her new game they spend hours packing their backpacks and debating about what rations to buy before heading out. In the last game she forgot to say that her character had eaten lunch, so the GM penalized all her actions for being "hungry." The GM makes her keep track of each individual copper she spends and exactly how much her money weighs. And he doesn't allow bags of holding cause he thinks they ruin the verisimilitude. I told her to congratulate her group on turning "having fun" into a job. And then I told her to start her own game.

I'm kind of curious how best to handle this. The game is supposed to have weight limits, and currency itself has weight so that if you have literally millions of copper pieces, it presents an interesting logistical problem. Most of the games I play don't even keep track of ammo, though, let alone people's weights and such. Penalizing her for not eating lunch is kind of stupid (it should be a "don't forget to tick off a ration in your inventory!" sort of thing, not a "ha ha, you forgot to eat, stupid!" kind of thing), but I really feel like the inventory management adds an interesting dimension which usually gets ignored for convenience.

How do the rest of you handle this? Do you let players just ignore weight altogether? Do you keep track of perishables/ammo/etc?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Side Effects posted:

TL;DR: A fat nerd gets so angry at kids that he has a heart attack and then uses the experience to better his life.

You made the guy ragequit living.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, did the DM give you an artifact that randomly dicks you over and then override the randomness when it suited his fancy? (Or did you still get the mechanical benefits?)

Rule of cool. It immediately foreshadowed the Kraken. :krakken: I'd allow it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dareon posted:

Unless it's a Wookiee and you happen to like making Wookiee noises. And really, who doesn't. :wookie:

I started making wookie noises to my infant yesterday, and she went wild over it. Between that and her wanting to eat nachos, I think everything is going to turn out alright :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Asehujiko posted:

I have this problem too with my Dark Heresy group, who, left to their own devices to come up with Rogue Trader characters presented me with the challenge of making a campaign for 5 near identical Arch Militants and a Senechal who only picked that class because of the Inferno Pistol and proceeded to act like he was an Arch Militant too. Any challenges I throw their way have to involve their starting skills because their spending pattern is Ballistic Skill -> Sound Constitution -> Rapid Reload/Quick Draw/etc.

There's no reason they can't be dispatched to a warzone, of course. In the future there is yadda yadda

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

goatface posted:

Clearly they should all be playing Orks.

This. This is the correct path. Suggest this to your players.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Everything Counts posted:

I still have him, of course; my son plays with him, and maybe someday I can use Eagle to tell the boy about how sometimes wishes come true--even if it's not exactly how you expect.

You can tell your son a heartwarming story about how wishes come true for the truly thick and bullheaded :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

Removed Seargeant Timms' axe arm at the shoulder with a ridiculously good crit. Sergeant Timms was not worried - he's got a lot of hit points left and reattaching arms is not a huge problem for a skilled cleric. The bleeding's going to be a problem, but he can sort that out after he kills this rear end in a top hat. He shifted his huge axe to his off hand and dealt a mighty blow to the bad guy, who responded by... removing his remaining arm at the shoulder with another crit.

How many Monty Python jokes did your group endure that night?

e: \/\/ :ohdear:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 30, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xaander posted:

So I'm currently GMing a campaign based on space-archaeology and mystery solving, where the three-man party (Assassin, detective, scientist) works for an agency investigating alien ruins and unexplained mysteries.

The first adventure involved investigating a live-flesh replicating operation where the perp was seducing young women and using them as "raw material" in his attempts to resurrect his dead parents. The agency got reports that feral dogs had been showing up on the space station near his private habitat (His failed experiments) and, after some digging, the party traced them back to him and found out where he lived. They dropped in for a visit and walked in on him dissecting the still-living Jennifer Carmichael, daughter of a rich interstellar property tycoon. The party's stealthy assassin snuck up behind the lunatic and stun-gunned him -- but not before he put the habitat into freefall towards Earth.

The assassin grabbed the nutjob and the detective grabbed Jennifer, and they started to make their way out of the habitat and into their shuttle. Meanwhile, the party's scientist made a beeline for the habitat controls and maintenance, where he tried to restart the engines and restore its orbit. But he only succeeded halfway, and put the station into a spin -- making it harder for the other two to navigate. The assassin made some good rolls and lucky maneuvers, but the detective (Who is not terribly strong or agile) was in trouble. He couldn't handle his own weight AND the girl. So he cut her throat with a glass shard (merciful death I guess?) and left on his own. Mission successful, lunatic apprehended, end of story -- though Mr Carmichael is understandably very very upset that the detective slashed his daughter's throat and left her to die (The detective's headset got it all on video).

Cut to several adventures later. They're on a luxury starship cruise investigating a faith healer. A beautiful woman comes up to the scientist and starts making small talk. He invites her back to his room for drinks and conversation (He hasn't asked her name yet). They get back to his room, and his player looks down at his inventory sheet, then at me -- "I brought two syringes of that hallucinogen (From a prior adventure) with me. I inject her with both". He succeeds, and she trips her loving balls off before suffering a brain aneurysm and dying. The guy playing the scientist is a bit weird, and always a hoot to play with. So he checks her pockets, finds her ID card, and freaks out. She's the wife of Mr Carmichael. I'd put the couple on the cruise as an interesting social encounter, and he had murdered her in the first 20 minutes of the adventure.

So Mr Carmichael has sold his land, hired a small army, and is ought for revenge. My players created a Big Bad without even meaning to. I love it when that happens.

Considering that your scientist guy is a murderer, and the detective isn't that much better, I'd say it's more that your big bad is out for justice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shady Amish Terror posted:

They're PC's. And they're PC's that 'mercy-killed' (for convenience) his daughter, and for no apparent reason randomly drugged and killed his wife.

I'm sort of thinking this is a foregone conclusion.

It's times like these that I remember that the best description of PCs in most games is "murder hobos"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Solomonic posted:

Here it is. I googled "white dragon death star" and somehow that's not a band name yet.

Well, that didn't end quite how I expected. Pretty awesome story.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BlackIronHeart posted:

I had a pretty great GM experience tonight! I'm running a 7th Sea game and the group has gradually shifted over to becoming a Social Justice brigade, doing their best to right the wrongs of corrupt nobility. They're in not-quite-Revolution-era alterna-France and really not appreciating what the Sun King is doing to his country and people. There was some intrigue in previous sessions that necessitated a clandestine meet with a new contact but they left it up to their new acquaintance to decide when and where. Where should swashbucklers meet someone when anonymity is necessary? A night at the opera, of course!

I wrote up the outline of a satirical play revolving around ridiculing the King of the neighboring nation alterna-France was waging war against and described the characters and general plot of three of four acts before announcing an intermission when more intrigue could be done. The final act brought the last offensive barbs to the fore, incensing the PC from the wronged nation. OOC'ly, I told the group that I'd give bonux XP for the session if they could accurately describe the subtext of the play and its characters. They actually came up with something half-right and probably better than my own devised outline and were happy to tell me they had a lot of fun critiquing a fake play in a story game. They're either incredibly kind or I might finally have a finger on what they're looking for, but I'm very satisfied either way!

Bonus points if your next play is "The King In Yellow" and your campaign suddenly converts from 7th Sea to Call of Cthulhu.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain_Indigo posted:

My weapon is my wit!

Later on the party get captured by frog people. Fearing an outright battle, they agree to go along quietly to the dungeon (which is where they want to go anyway). One by one the frogs ask them to surrended their weapons, and all of them do. When it comes to the bard they ask "what is your weapon?" and the player replies "the weapon is my wit!"

:) The frog people have no understanding of the word, they look to one another in confusion, then insist that you surrender your wit immediately.
:banjo:Okay!
:) So you lay your rapier down?
:banjo: No, here is my wit! I dig into my satchel and grab one of my rations, a pig in a blanket, and delicately place it on the ground as if I'm handling a live grenage.

I hope you gave him some sort of bonus for that, for being clever as poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Colon V posted:

Now I'm imagining them as less-dysfunctional Batman and the Joker. (Let's not have a 'Batman's alignment' argument, please.)

He's not the alignment that we want, but perhaps he's the alignment that we deserve.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Do you have an egg timer for them to decide their action or did they actually role play staying in the same spot?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Deleter posted:

My group just threw the gigantic, highly opulent couch ... across an underground river, the party bard reclining on it all the way ... and the bard delivering such harsh burns that surrounding enemies combusted to ash

Your bard sounds amazing. Your group sounds amazing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

saberwulf posted:

I'm the bard in this campaign, and it's completely amazing. The best I've ever played, hands down. It's just been a perfect example that good players can make any setting work in almost any system.

We are totally gonna turn that couch into a tank. I mean poo poo, why not? "Solid gold, gem-encrusted couchtank" might beat out the other achievements from when I GM'ed the same group, such as "ski half a building down an avalanche and do a backflip" or "make a reverse railgun out of a lodestone pillar and grappling hook". "Explode a flying squid by throwing the goblin at it and simultaneously invent football" was also a good one. I love this group so much.

I am seriously jealous of you guys and your group.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LordZoric posted:

Hahahaha really? I am not at all surprised. Despite lots of talk from the GM about publishing our campaigns as a novel someday, most of the plots have usually turned out to be copied almost plot-point by plot-point from some comic he's read. I'm curious, which parts of it did he rip off?

I have come to the point where I am going to issue an ultimatum that either someone else gets to GM or I'm out. Even then I might still quit because this guy is just as obnoxious as a player if he can bully a GM into letting him get his way. I have some more horror stories there too.

The reason I've stayed in this game so long, almost four years now yikes, is because I just didn't know any better. This was the first real gaming group I ever got into and I had no clue what RPGs were actually supposed to be like. Sure I could sense the game was kind of lame, and I mostly blamed it on the game system until I did a Martin Luther and read the rulebook for myself and discovered how much of the system we weren't actually using and how much extra crap was being loaded on by the GM. From then on it's just been one straw after the other. From him keeping us in 2E "because the rest of the players wanted it" when 3E is superior in every way except GM dominance, to the constant dicking over of the PCs for the sake of either the integrity of *~his story~* or plain old verisimilitude. As I said before, this very forum is what finally opened my eyes fully to just how aberrant this game is, and how much fun RPGs can actually be.

It's really sad to have to leave the group, because I've gamed with the other players outside of his game and they're all very enjoyable to RP with. I think the Geek Social Fallacies are the only reason he's still with us.

Yeah you need to :getout: asap, and if he's just as lovely a player as a GM, then you really ought to just not game with him, period. It sounds like your only purpose is to be NPCs in his story, and he really doesn't give a poo poo if you have fun.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Contest Winner posted:

We found out last week that, as it turns out, the secret messages were him telling the GM that he was sending presents home to his wife.

That reveal actually made my day :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Bravo posted:

When I shanghai'd their portal back to thrust them into a new adventure, he got kind of mad at me. Not because of the adventure, he loves things to kill and things to steal. No, he got a little miffed because by screwing with their portal I prevented him from taking his wife a new dress he had woven out of a mysterious cloth they had found. Surprisingly enough, his training as a tailer comes up almost more often than his rogue background. :v:

Was he playing Garak?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm not sure what the problem is. They cleared out the dungeon, even if they didn't do it by being murder hobos.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Flavivirus posted:

Ah yes, Continuity. One of their best adventures, and always a blast to run. Mine ended with an octomorph propelled by an improvised jet pack fending zombies away from the self-destruct button while the remaining two people fought each other tooth and nail for a space in the escape pod. Good times :)

So, what happens if you turn on the radios?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Went to Hell posted:

This is where you settle the PCs as farmhands on an idyllic farm, introduce them to their coworkers - who are all friendly, likeable people - and establish the farm as something worth protecting. Let them roll their farming skills for a couple weeks to a month, and pay them accordingly. Then you send in the band of orc marauders to burn down the farm and menace the PC's new friends. Seems an evil wizard has amassed an army of monsters and is now marching on the peaceful kingdom's capital. The heroes can either stay and defend the farm until it is overrun or abandoned, or they can travel to another farm, which will also come under attack from the ever-encroaching orc army. The attacks will keep happening, unless some brave heroes go forth and quell the invasion.

Now the heroes have three options: Stay on the farm and defend it from weekly orc attacks, go on a long and perilous journey to find a land unravaged by orcs (for now), where they can run their farm in peace, or take up arms against the tyrannical wizard and become the heroes they're supposed to be. All the while, you can pay them for any weekly Profession checks they're making. Given the rate of orc attacks they're facing, it'll be a pittance compared to the treasure they can take off their slain enemies.

Or you could, y'know, talk to your players like adults about how exploiting the system in order to break the game is no fun for anyone, and see if you can't figure out what kind of game you'd actually like to play.

Have them roll for every week for the skill check. And roll for thieves. And for famine. And for war. And for disease. And for....

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SpaceYeti posted:

The next one is one of my favorite traps ever, and I try to work one into ever campaign, if not every "dungeon". I call it the "Rock on a rope" trap. Basically, a stick or something is propped against the backside of a door, holding up a rock, or brick, or hammer, or whatever, which is attached to a rope or chain or whatever which is attached to the door frame. Opening the door moves the stick or whatever and causes the rock or whatever to swing towards whoever opened the door. It's a cheap trap, and one easy to avoid or notice beforehand, but good old Bob didn't even bother looking for a trap. He just swung the door open and got a face full of rock. This is also extra funny because he had a pretty good reflex defense. It's almost as though my dice like to punish characters who are good at certain things, but he could have also avoided the trap by looking for it, like most traps he fell for.

Let me guess; your group now compulsively checks for traps in every possible encounter, including benign ones, throws kobolds down a hallway, and generally takes an hour to do things that should take a minute.

quote:

Another time the group was in a dungeon that had undead in it. They made their way to a room with two hallways in the back corners. The hallways gently sloped downward. I'm not sure why, but the players decided there was a trap in the hallways.

I can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

quote:

Incidentally, they were correct. Perhaps they knew me.
:goonsay:

I get the feeling that you're going to reply with "This post had explosive runes! You take 10 damage!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Minutia posted:

You Wake Up With A Boner

Next up: The Railroad That Smelled Like Farts

On the one hand, these are excellent stories. On the other hand, this is kind of like watching "Hoarders" thinking that it's going to be fun like other trashy reality shows, until you realize that the show is about people with real mental illnesses that aren't getting treated who aren't just mugging for the camera.

Basically I'm saying that your DM stores Cat Pee and I'm glad that you've moved on to a new group.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OmniDesol posted:

Extremely well, all things considered. We had just taken out the principal source of the zombie infestation in Barovia (which is the lead-in quest to the whole Castle Ravenloft thing) and had come across Ireena Kolyana, the NPC that Count Strahd is trying to enslave/make his thrall/marry, and noticed that she had vampire bite marks, but that she had not yet turned. Our original plan was to just hide her inside our warrior, a giant rock person, to protect her from becoming a full vampire. However, we later came upon a blacksmith, who had managed to survive the whole zombie thing by wearing a Pendant of Good Health. The gears started turning, and the following conversation went a little like this:

Player1: So, a Pendant of Good Health uses a magical rune to prevent disease, right?
DM: Yeah.
Player1:Okay, cool. And, um... odd question, but is Count Strahd homosexual?
DM: What? No.
Player1: Right then. I'd like to roll a Heal check to safely knock her our, and open her chest cavity.
Player2: And I'd like to use Spellcraft to carve a rune of Good Health on her ribs.
Player3: And for good measure, I'm also casting Gender Swap on her.

What followed was pretty much the entire campaign exploding.

Wouldn't this just make Count Strahd super angry at your party for basically cock-blocking him?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Minutia posted:

Yuuuup.

"Minutia, I think it's dumb that you're turtling up in huge hoodies because you're uncomfortable with how :butt: looks at you and makes sexual jokes about you. You are pretty, and you have to get comfortable with people being attracted to you. Besides, it's just :butt:. It's not like he's gonna do anything, he's just being appreciative. He doesn't even think you're that hot - he told me how much he dislikes the way you dress and style your hair. Speaking of which, you really should dress prettier."

Sever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Minutia posted:

That's hilarious, because the person playing the half-orc bard was actually the sweetest person in the group, who earnestly wanted to solve the adventure in the nicest possible manner (by using a lot of diplomacy checks and also dismantling the anthrocentric wizard-supremacist capitalist hegemony). I don't know that Paranoia would be her game (isn't it pretty cutthroat?), but it does sound like a game for groups that are good at derailing plots. Do you have any good stories about it?

Search through this thread, and if you have archives search through the Best Experiences thread that this one came from. The stories about paranoia sound magical and make me want to find a group to play it with. :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EVIR Gibson posted:

most of the time, Friend Computer doesn't know a drat thing

If you read the above spoiler, continue to the next one

Please report to the nearest Security Team for summary execution for reading Anti-Friend Computer Propaganda

This is obviously a test; friend computer wouldn't give us that kind of propaganda unless he wanted us to read it, and if he wanted us to read it that implies that he's against friend computer, that is, himself. Since this is a fallacy, it's clear that he only wanted to see how we would react. Since we trust in friend computer, we know not to take anything in that document seriously, and thus we will ignore the self-termination suggestion.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

the_steve posted:

He had once told me, in private, that he had kicked around the idea of having her get gang-raped by orcs him and forced to carry the baby to term. :stare:

Thankfully, he never tried it.

The theme of this thread seems to be "don't let your daughters date GMs"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Commoners posted:

Magical Ted Kaczynski

OK, that's a pretty neat gimmick...

quote:

They eventually started using forest animals to deliver these things to people prior to fighting, so they'd take a message from a monkey, begin reading it, and then blow up fantastically before starting the fight.

... and that made me laugh out loud. It sounds like an adventure that had the potential to be some sort of horrible grognardy "save vs arbitrary death" experience that turned out to be pretty awesome and fun.

Commoners posted:

It's written right there. Snap his neck. Then stand up, leave, and never talk to the people again. Do it in game too.

That's actually a decent way to do it, although they'll probably just retcon that poo poo and the guy can continue having his little creepy fantasy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

moosecow333 posted:

We only play about four sessions before I managed to convince the group to abandon the game. Despite its short game time it left a very bitter taste in my mouth but it did teach me a number of important Do's and Don'ts for when I took up the DMing title.

Four?! At least fantasy manor looked fabulous...

Do you have ANY idea what the DM was actually going for? Was this some passive aggressive way of punishing you?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Night10194 posted:

The session ended in them baptizing a central processing unit in the name of the God Emperor and converting the ship-AI into a steadfast ally. The Explorator is apoplectic they ended up essentially making an alliance with an Abominable Intelligence, because I'm not sure he understands this is Rogue Trader, not Dark Heresy, and they're supposed to be doing this kind of crazy poo poo.

Aren't sentient AIs massively heretical at this point in time? Shouldn't a sister of battle know this?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Octagon N posted:

My bardbarian sings a rich and deep baritone note as he plunges his sword into the beholders eye, it dies midair, and he finds himself riding its plunging corpse down some 80 feet into the chasm below. Several d10 later he stands up still above half HP, surveys the 20-foot-radius of beholder gore around him, picks up the beholder crown he finds/the DM grants, places it firmly on his head, and is pleased.

Yeah, it's not like would want to disallow that :black101:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: nm

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You could just houserule the bots into having skill 6 at piloting their mother ship or something...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Camoes posted:

Well, one time in Warhammer Fantasy RPG, my group accepted a quest to kill a dwarf diplomat who was going to deliver a proposal of peace to the elves (keep in mind we were quite new to this sort of game).

We had to wait for the dwarf at night in the middle of the town square. Inexperienced as we were, we made a lot of noise while dealing with the dwarf and started hearing the city guard coming. We dragged the body of the now deceased dwarf to one of the merchants tents , trying not to be seen. Well, the guards easily found where we were and started approaching the tent. Then the following conversation happened:

GM - So, what do you do?

(everyone out of ideas)

Player 1 - I start sucking Player 2 cock!

Player 2 - Yea-wait what?! No!

Player 1 - Yes!

(everyone stares perplexed to Player 1)

And so, the city guard entered a tent, looking at a dwarf trying to take the pants of a wizard to suck his cock, over a dead dwarf body, while everyone else quietly watches. Obviously we were arrested, but the countess agreed to free us if one of us would fight in a duel for her. The one who fought ended up losing an arm, but it was worth it :v:

I... what? :psyduck:

Did player one think that the guards were going to be grossed out and leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Traditional Games > Get yourself a real DM and test the measure of your nuts and or ovaries - Catpiss megathread