Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone use BlueSockets by Adtran? I've inherited 4 at this office and 4 at remote offices.

Quick question, is it better/worse to have an AP near another strong AP or near a bunch of not as strong devices?

We have 4 AP's in this one office. Two D-Link consumer routers hooked up to consumer broadband for an open network (guest access) and then two BlueSockets connected to our company network. Right now there's a D-Link on channel 1 and channel 6, and then there's a BlueSocket on channel 1 and channel 6. Two at the front of the office, two towards the back.

But, our IT manager bought 15 HP 1102w printers because they were cheap. So we have these printers making all kinds of noise on the network.

Would it make more sense to move one of the corporate ones to channel 11? As in, are the printers which are just simply broadcasting their SSID, and don't have any traffic going over them (everyone prints via USB to those), worse as far as interference goes as peoples phones etc using the guest network?

First order of business is to switch the channels on the corporate AP's so they aren't the same as the consumer AP that's closest to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Attended a Meraki webinar this afternoon and they are miles, miles, loving miles beyond where the Bluesockets we have are.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Stugazi posted:

Clear your bowels before you get the Meraki pricing so you don't poo poo your pants.

We're not switching anytime soon but I'm sure it's worth it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aquila posted:

In general I've seen some people in here talking about using Meraki and other wireless vendor switches. Is there anything special about these? Just PoE? Just an ethernet switch? Why not use Cisco or Juniper?

Fancy screenshots and dashboards

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's our current dashboard, circa 1996

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone using Aerohive? Did their webinar thing today, doesn't look quite as impressive as Meraki but doesn't look terrible. Should be getting a demo unit soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quick Cisco Meraki question:

We ended up going with a different vendor at work, so I pulled the demo unit they sent us off our network. I figured I'd take it home since I'm using some lovely D-Link wireless router. Problem is, for some reason it doesn't want to work.

If I connect it to my D-Link router, it boots up and works fine. Shows the new SSID's and such that I configured through the dashboard, status lights look good. However, if I connect it directly to my cable modem (some little Motorola one the cable company gives me), it never seems to go back online. I've tried powering down the cable modem in case it was locked to the MAC of my D-Link router, but it still never goes anywhere. The light just blinks orange which means 'AP can’t find an uplink'.

If I plug a laptop into the cable modem, it gets a public address via DHCP on the cable company's network and everything is fine. Should I just factory reset the Meraki and see what happens? Do I have to have another router on the network for this to work? I guess I could just disable wireless on my D-Link.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Obvious first question, does it have a static IP or VLAN set? What does the dashboard have to say about the unit?

It's setup for DHCP not static. It also shouldn't have a VLAN set on it.

Dashboard says:

LAN IP 1:
192.168.168.104 (via DHCP) (set IP address)
Gateway: 192.168.168.1; DNS: 71.10.216.1, 71.10.216.2 <-- That's the address of my D-Link and my ISP's DNS servers
Public IP: 68.x.x.x (68-x-x-x.­dhcp.­town.state.­charter.­com)

It also says it's unreachable for the last two days, which makes sense since that's the last time I plugged it in to the D-Link.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Weird. Have you tried rebooting the cable modem after plugging the Meraki AP directly into it? I know that TWC, in my area at least, uses sticky MAC addresses.

Bob Morales posted:

I've tried powering down the cable modem in case it was locked to the MAC of my D-Link router, but it still never goes anywhere.

quote:

Next suggestion would be factory reset the AP. I've had lots of IP address assignment-related issues with APs prior to the latest firmware update.

In the middle of that right now.

quote:

Edit: plug it into the modem, connect to the AP, and go to http://my.meraki.com or http://10.128.128.128 and see what it says? Make sure local status pages are turned on. I've never tried to hit my.meraki.com on anything but switches and security appliances before but the documentation says it should work.

See the weird thing is, it doesn't even broadcast the SSID if it can't connect to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Factory reset didn't seem to do much. I briefly got the thing to say DNS was misconfigured. Weird. Is there a way I can nuke the config and start all loving over? I removed the AP and when I added it back it picked up all the old settings when I powered it back on.

• Locked thread