Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
What are you guys using for APs in an enterprise environment?

We use Motorola AP7131s, they're about $1000-$1200 each. I have no idea if that's expensive compared to offerings from Cisco etc. What would be comparable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bluecobra posted:

We have about 10 or so old-rear end Cisco Aironet 1130 access points (a/b/g) that we bought around 7 years ago. The only requirements that I have is that it has to be gigabit, supports Wireless N, have a built-in controller, supports roaming, preferably works on Cisco PoE, and supports multiple VLANs. I could care less what vendor we use. I looked at Xirrus but they were much more expensive than both Cicso and Aruba. There isn't really any motivation to replace these since the wireless network is used for convenience. At this point, we are waiting until 802.11ac access points become more common or until our existing access points start dying.

Cisco Meraki APs are pretty awesome. Take a webinar and they'll give you one for free to try out. (Yours to keep.)

If your work doesn't like it, hey you have a $600 access point for home.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fly posted:

Don't you need the management software? My understanding of that webinar deal is that it gives you one year of their cloud management service. After that, wouldn't the AP stop being manageable unless you pay Cisco?

You get 3 years worth, and then have to pay maintenance after that.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bluecobra posted:

I guess I am too old fashioned because I don't like devices that have to report back to the "cloud" to work. Those AP's look nice, but I just want a dumb AP that has a built in controller that I can just put a static IP on it, configure it, then plug in. I also don't want to be stuck paying for maintenance I don't need for an eternity. If one goes bad, I will just buy another one. I wish the Ubiquiti would just make a UniFi AP that has a built-in controller because those would be perfect. I think we may just end up getting Cisco Aironet 1142's.

Motorola AP7131Ns are solid devices, its what we use here. The AP can also act as a controller for up to 20 APs.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Xenomorph posted:

So an iPhone or Android grabbing an IP in building A will still work while walking to building B (as the WiFi is all on one subnet now).

Yeah, that's how we ended up doing it. What you could try is having two DHCP servers, one in each building. Hopefully the one in their own building will respond quicker than the one in the other building.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Italy's Chicken posted:

I've got a problem brought about by allowing domain users to go wireless within our intranet... Windows 7 caches their credentials to allow login with no active network connection, but will connect to the wireless intranet after the user has logged in. This creates two problems: 1) no GPO is run on the wireless user and 2) logging out drops the wireless connection stopping us from doing remote management to the wireless user. I know this is more of a Windows problem, but thought someone in here would have come across it.

Yeah, you need to install a cert registered to the computer account for it to connect before logon.

As an administrator:

Run > mmc > double click 'Certificates' > select 'Computer account' > request new cert.

In the SSID configuration, choose 'user or computer authentication'

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Spudalicious posted:

So this isn't strictly wireless, but I'm trying to figure out what RADIUS is and why I need it. I'm trying to get LDAP authentication working through our Sonicwall, and the system is saying that you can't do LDAP over L2TP VPN, instead you have to use a RADIUS server. I've been trying to figure out what RADIUS is before I just start installing poo poo but I'm finding it hard to get a birds-eye conceptual view of what is happening. Anyone have a good link I could read up on?

RADIUS is called NPS (Network Policy and Access Services) in Windows Server.

Basically it sits between your APs/Controllers and your domain controllers. AP/Controller validates the LDAP credentials with the NPS server, NPS server replies Accept or Reject.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Aquila posted:

So just for fun, if any of you got to greenfield a design for a 50k sqft office, one floor, all new build, 350 employees, 500+ devices, what you do? Reasonable budget and the main concern is that the wifi is perfect.

Who will be managing it afterwards? If you have they money I'd slap Merakis everywhere.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

Can I get some product recommendations?

Maneki Neko posted:

We've been very happy with all the Meraki gear we've touched, assuming you're fine staying on maintenance.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want to manage the access points from the same 'pane of glass' then Meraki is a decent shout, and setting the site-to-site VPN up is pretty much a one-click process.

3rd'ing this. Grab Meraki.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Since we don't have a enterprise networking thread:

This thread is pretty much that. It's not just for Cisco.

the spyder take a look at Meraki APs. Easy to configure and manage, and they work well.

As for Zebra APs, nothing personal Frabba but they're the bane of our existence. Once we get the money for a hardware refresh we're going to have an Office Space copier day with them.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 4, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Partycat posted:

I thought Cisco had some branch routers that would do a handful of their CAPWAP APs but I don't see them now.

That'd probably be the Cat3650s.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-729449.html

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We use Ekahau and are happy with it.

• Locked thread