Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Zarin posted:

Seems like the largest ones (of what's left of this bag) are only about 50% larger than a Quarter, with most smaller than one:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...ce470b0ee19f98&
Thanks for the pic! I don’t think most of those would work, can’t do more than maybe an inch in any direction, and maybe 1/2” thick max. I think breaking them down would be fine if I had outdoor space and a machete or something, but if I had outdoor space then I would have an actual smoker :smith:

It’s technically doable in my kitchen, but I don’t want to gently caress up my good knives on wood chips. Good news is I’m going to my parents’ house in a couple weeks, so I can mess with a bag of big chips there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ive been using the Western brand wood chips and most of them were smaller than 2 inches. I found them on amazon as a variety pack. They are also thin enough that you could probably snap them in half if they were too big. Why cant you use pellets? They seem ideal for the size you want.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Device maker says not to, plus warnings from other users of the device. I think, like the tiny wood chips, they burn too fast and hot, so things get creosotey (which obviously happens easier anyway in this thing with no ventilation)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I want to pastrami on Sunday, and I have one of those precorned beefs from the store. Do you smoke it until 200 like a normal brisket? Or do you cook it until beef done temp because the brining process breaks down the connective tissue? I also assume the rub is just black pepper and coriander, yes?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

McSpankWich posted:

So I want to pastrami on Sunday, and I have one of those precorned beefs from the store. Do you smoke it until 200 like a normal brisket? Or do you cook it until beef done temp because the brining process breaks down the connective tissue? I also assume the rub is just black pepper and coriander, yes?

Absolutely soak it first. The precorned beefs are super salty. They expect you to simmer them in water. So, cover over with water now, let it sit for 4-6 hours in the fridge, drain, dry, back in the fridge overnight so it can equalize.

You’ll definitely want to cook it more like a brisket than a steak. If you’re going to be slicing it thin for sandwiches, don’t cook it to quite as tender as you would a normal BBQ brisket.

Coriander and pepper is the classic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

McSpankWich posted:

Amazingribs.com has an absolutely delightful pastrami rub that I've enjoyed every time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looks like it's going to be a nice weekend so I think I'll finally fire up my electric. Which would be better for smoking, frying chickens or roasting chickens? I understand the latter are older and have more fat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Smoking and frying?
You can do that to the same piece of meat?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No you can buy chickens designated as frying chickens, or chickens designated as roasting chickens. The latter are older and have more fat. Just wondering which would be more suitable for smoking?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Smoking is most similar to roasting, so I would think that route. It's basically just roasting with smoke.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

You can smoke a bird halfway and then fry it afterwards, but my understanding is it's not worth the effort.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Internet Explorer posted:

Smoking is most similar to roasting, so I would think that route. It's basically just roasting with smoke.

Thanks, that was my hunch too but figured I'd check.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Tomfoolery posted:

You can smoke a bird halfway and then fry it afterwards, but my understanding is it's not worth the effort.
It’s totally worth the effort if somebody else is doing it. I tried that one and the thighs were amazing, everything else was overcooked or undercooked. I’ve been meaning to do it with pounded boneless pieces to get something more consistent but it never seems worthwhile. Mainly because I only fry chicken for Parmesan anymore, as I’m a red sauce freak.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
smoked a tomahawk and finished it basting in butter and herbs. was pretty good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Lawnie posted:

I’m no expert, but the one time I tagged along with my uncle and made several dozen pounds of sausage, we used a hand-cranked stuffing tool for finer control of the feed rate.

I can dig it, the stuffer attachment can get a little out of hand. Makes me want a foot-controlled power/speed device for the mixer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stringent posted:

That looks so good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stringent posted:

Hell ya!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Got a Traeger 780 Pro today. Excited to join this thread.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Tim Whatley posted:

Whatcha gonna smoke first?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Tim Whatley posted:

Congrats on never being able to leave a steakhouse again without thinking “meh, I can do better in my own backyard”.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Congrats on never being able to leave a steakhouse again without thinking “meh, I can do better in my own backyard”.

This is true, but in that case you might reframe it as: you're not really paying someone else to cook, you're paying someone else to clean up the mess

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've indicated to my father in law that I was thinking of getting into smoking, and he said he'd buy me a smoker as long as I smoked him a bunch of meat next time he visits.

I'm looking to go electric, which I know means I should go with the Masterbuilt. I'm looking at the 30" digital options, and there's the digital, digital with window, and digital with wifi. The "digital with window" comes with a stand which seems worth it alone, even if the window won't be all that useful. I'm ultimately tempted by the wifi version, especially since it can be had for about the same price as the digital with window. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the Wifi model specifically, and if it has any downsides compared to the regular digital with window?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

This is true, but in that case you might reframe it as: you're not really paying someone else to cook, you're paying someone else to clean up the mess

That’s a great way to look at it differently and feel less bad about it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FISHMANPET posted:

I've indicated to my father in law that I was thinking of getting into smoking, and he said he'd buy me a smoker as long as I smoked him a bunch of meat next time he visits.

I'm looking to go electric, which I know means I should go with the Masterbuilt. I'm looking at the 30" digital options, and there's the digital, digital with window, and digital with wifi. The "digital with window" comes with a stand which seems worth it alone, even if the window won't be all that useful. I'm ultimately tempted by the wifi version, especially since it can be had for about the same price as the digital with window. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the Wifi model specifically, and if it has any downsides compared to the regular digital with window?

I have a MES 30 with window, and I use it all the time. I like it.
My only issue is that despite being sent multiple control modules the unit has no clue what the temprature is inside, so I always have to set it to the max setting of 275 and then it gets about 225~235 which is perfect anyways. The window then lets me put an oven thermometer inside so I can keep track of it.
I want to get a wifi thermometer (like a fireboard) to better control things but that's a future endeavor.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also I smoked a corned beef for st Patrick's and while it didn't finish in time it came out perfect.
Even microwaving the pieces today to warm them back up they're flawless.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

ZombieCrew posted:

Whatcha gonna smoke first?

I'm thinking wings and a smoked meat loaf oddly enough!

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Anyone do a smoked chili before? I was thinking of hucking my veggies onto the kamado to get some flavour on there before putting everything into the slow cooker.

Alternatively I could just put everything into a big pan and let my pellet grill do its thing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've never tried smoking a whole chili, but using smoked brisket this recipe was really great -
https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-brisket-chili-recipe-and-video/

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Internet Explorer posted:

I've never tried smoking a whole chili, but using smoked brisket this recipe was really great -
https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-brisket-chili-recipe-and-video/

Brisket chili is definitely on my list of things to do this summer so I'll definitely

Unfortunately I do not have a brisket so my meats are going to be some ground beef, bacon, and some smoked pork belly that was leftover from last week's bbq.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Chuck roasts smoke up pretty well, if you're looking for something smaller/more economical for chili or tacos.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

also if you make brisket semi regular, save the trim for chili

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

sinburger posted:

Anyone do a smoked chili before? I was thinking of hucking my veggies onto the kamado to get some flavour on there before putting everything into the slow cooker.

Alternatively I could just put everything into a big pan and let my pellet grill do its thing.

I've not made it, but I've seen plenty of pictures of people making "over the top chilli".

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Broke in the 780 with St Louis ribs from Costco using the Meat Church method in this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C76PIwTxkyU

I was a little too focused on time vs temp and they were really falling apart. I'm also in New England where it decides to goddamn snow on March 23rd and I went through an entire hopper of fuel. Luckily the flame out happened at the very very end. Overall I'm happy with my first ever smoked thing but lots of room for improvement!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I was redirected over here from the general questions thread.. Recently I bought a meat thermometer via my farm share and after reading the instructions for it I found out it has a terrible quirk where it will automatically turn itself off after ten minutes if the temp it is detecting is below 110 F. To me this makes it almost completely useless for doing the long low and slow roasts I bought it for. Can anyone here recommend a meat thermometer that won't just abandon a long roast after ten minutes?

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
I have this Inkbird one and it works well, I think it goes on sale every so often if you don't need it right now.

Edit to add: here it is, with case for $1 cheaper

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have this: https://www.thermoworks.com/smoke/

Works great.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Capisano posted:

I have this Inkbird one and it works well, I think it goes on sale every so often if you don't need it right now.

Edit to add: here it is, with case for $1 cheaper

I also have this and enjoy it as a good not billion dollar meat thermometer. The battery lasts ages.. I often leave it on after I pull a smoke and pull in the driveway next day and think.. huh I left that on.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Seconded.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Same as well as the wifi gateway. I rate the thermometer itself 5/5 (wait until it goes on sale though) and the gateway maybe 3/5? The gateway works fine but the app has some annoying quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Same as well as the wifi gateway. I rate the thermometer itself 5/5 (wait until it goes on sale though) and the gateway maybe 3/5? The gateway works fine but the app has some annoying quirks.

Good news! They're currently running a warehouse sale with select colors on sale for $59.40. Same link as the general one posted earlier.