Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

just buy inkbird. 1 box.. long battery.. good wifi 4 prongs.. ezpz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I was redirected over here from the general questions thread.. Recently I bought a meat thermometer via my farm share and after reading the instructions for it I found out it has a terrible quirk where it will automatically turn itself off after ten minutes if the temp it is detecting is below 110 F. To me this makes it almost completely useless for doing the long low and slow roasts I bought it for. Can anyone here recommend a meat thermometer that won't just abandon a long roast after ten minutes?
I think almost anything is going to pass that barrier, hopefully. At my parents’ I have a $10 Ikea oven thermometer that has no problem handing that situation

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Thirded. Thermoworks makes great stuff.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
On a whim I decided to chuck a few beef ribs on to the smoker. They seem to turn out best for me when I follow a time-based routine and ignore the thermometer altogether.

Definitely no veggies on that plate.

I guess for me it means less fiddling with the smoker and fussing over what the temperature should be, which results in a tasty end product.

I should have put them on a bit earlier though, because I forgot I was also smoking a few for the dogs, and they eat earlier than I do. No complaints from them at least! I didn't take a photo of the meat because I was too busy nodding and saying "mhm" while eating.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I live in a town with a strong Brazilian population and the meat markets have a lot of very cheap, massive, 4 bone chuck rib sections.

In the tradition they seem to be pretty much universally cooked via moderate direct heat, usually about 18” to 24” above coals until just about falling off the bone.

I’m thinking of trying this out in a couple weeks but I’m wondering what happens if you just do the low and slow smoke route with them?

Are they just too massive and going to take forever? Or is there some detail with the fat content and intra muscular connective tissue that just makes 225 indirect heat a problem? Anyone know?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If they are chuck ribs, they should cook really similarly to plate ribs. Any of the beef ribs can be cooked low and slow so you shouldn't have a problem.

But yes, they are going to take forever. Well worth it though.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Fall Dog posted:

On a whim I decided to chuck a few beef ribs on to the smoker. They seem to turn out best for me when I follow a time-based routine and ignore the thermometer altogether.

Same. After doing several of them I don't bother with the probe. I set the MES to 275, pull it out at the 7.5 hour mark, then wrap in butcher paper and rest for an hour. I love them because they take practically no effort and are great every time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

asciidic posted:

Same. After doing several of them I don't bother with the probe. I set the MES to 275, pull it out at the 7.5 hour mark, then wrap in butcher paper and rest for an hour. I love them because they take practically no effort and are great every time.

I do the same with pork ribs now. Obviously less time, but i dont bother wrapping them anymore. They come out tender with nice crust and i don't have to think about it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Why do you think that is? Cooking to temp seems like a universal thing to me. Skeptical.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Things that are small and have lots of bones are harder to cook to temp. Like, I'm not going to probe my chicken wings. Likewise, I don't probe pork or beef ribs. It's better to go by texture, i.e. the "bend test." Rib's famously have the "3-2-1 method" that is just off time.

Cooking to temp definitely is not universal.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Doing wings on the Pit Boss pellet tomorrow. I don't think I've done wings on it yet. I've always done charcoal.

Really looking forward to them!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My tio for wings is. I smoke for awhile.. then cost with bbq and set it to like 400 and char em up quick

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Running into an odd situation.

Put a 19.3lb turkey on the traeger at 300F. Probes in the breast and thigh.

1hr 15min later, the breast is at 144F but the thigh is only at 107F

I was thinking it'd take around 15-20min per lb , which would put it at like 4-5 hours or so?

Anyway I'm not sure why the breast appears to be heating up quicker than the thighs, since the thighs are closer to the heat source.

I guess I can turn the heat down?

Only other thing I can think of is that I've never smoked a turkey in the spring, it's always been in November when the outside air is much colder?

E: some fiddling with the temps and wrapping the breast in foil seems to have done the trick. Managed to get both the breast and thighs to right around 160F at the same time, and they mosied their way up to 165F while resting.

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 30, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Always spatchcock your chicken

Always never not spatchcock your chicken

Takes not that much more effort and makes it cook more evenly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tater_salad posted:

Always spatchcock your chicken

Always never not spatchcock your chicken

Takes not that much more effort and makes it cook more evenly.

I don't cook whole chicken... ever.

I tried spatchcocking the turkey one year and it was a nightmare. I have some grip issues due to waiting too long to get carpal tunnel surgery, so it took forever to cut the spine out.

Completely not worth it IMO, especially since my family didn't understand the point and kept making sideways comments about the presentation being "unique" (ie - not traditional).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I meant turkey... But sucks you have issues with grip.

My family enjoyed it because it was very drat yummy and very drat juicy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
My family has gotten spoiled since I took over cooking turkeys from my grandma when I was 15, because I promptly bought a probe thermometer and suddenly the turkey was waaay less dry lmao.

So while spatchcocking would surely improve it, the family already thinks it's great and I don't want to deal with taking half an hour to cut it up in between hand cramps.

If your doctor recommends carpal tunnel surgery, don't put it off for a year, just get it done. Untreated carpal tunnel can cause permanent nerve damage.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My grocer is more than happy to spatchcock the bird for me. I bet if you told them about your situation and asked they’d be happy to help.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Chemmy posted:

My grocer is more than happy to spatchcock the bird for me. I bet if you told them about your situation and asked they’d be happy to help.

I'll have to check on that. I've asked them to trim cuts of beef before.

Although the turkeys they sell are already packaged, not sold at the meat counter. Can't hurt to check though!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've done whole chickens both ways. The downside of spatchcock is the chicken cooks much more quickly, which means less smoke. I think I enjoy the end product more when I don't spatchcock.

That said, I don't even do whole chickens unless they are on sale for like $1/lb and I can't resist. I prefer doing quarters.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Vertical cooking of poultry works great. (think beer can style - bonus if the holder isn't solid and air can flow). Acts like a chimney and hot air flows through the inside.

Of course, you need a vertical style smoker (like a MES) to do that.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Anyone else double smoking a ham for Easter?

This one came out great. Was at the store getting charcoal, and Blues Hog was the same price as Kingsford, so I tried out Blues Hog. Works fine for me. Also I needed more rub and the store had a bunch of stuff from Meat Church. Figured I’d give their Gospel All Purpose rub a try and I actually really like it a lot.

Rubbed the 13 pound ham with a mustard binder and the Meat Church rub. Smoked at 300 over the Blues Hog and pecan chunks. Was done in about 4 hours. Last half hour I glazed with a mix of cherry preserves and Hawaiian bbq sauce. Everyone seemed to really like it. I think it was the best holiday ham I’ve ever had.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 31, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ll smoke your ham papi

e: sorry thought I was in a different thread

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Double smoked ham is my favorite I didn't feel like doing one this year as it's been kind of a chill weekend with just me n the wife.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I did one last year with a spicy cherry glaze, was great.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Similarly (same company, different model), I have this one and it's excellent. Definitely wait for a sale, though, poo poo's expensive.

In other news, while I didn't take any photos, made the Amazing Ribs Baltimore pit beef today and it is goooooood.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Smoked lobster and crab: the Easter bunnies of the sea

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

asciidic posted:

Smoked lobster and crab: the Easter bunnies of the sea

Now we’re talking

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1774580799720861849

imagine being a texas senator and posting this poo poo

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Ribs that look like they’ve been sauced with ketchup would get you killed in central Texas if you tried to serve them.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Is there any kind of meat processing thread around here? Something less about smoking and more sausage or jerky related? Or should i just post in here for that?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
There was a thread about charcuterie but it looks like it jumped the charc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I seasoned my MES30 with WiFi on Saturday. I was going to smoke a chuck roast on Sunday but it was rainy and windy so I decided to hold off. Tuesday I'm working from home and the weather should be more cooperative so I'm planning to give it a go then.

The instructions say 10 feet of vertical clearance but I watched a YouTube video of someone that put it under a patio umbrella that was only 3 or 4 feet of clearance. I've got a pop up canopy that would give it 4 or 5 feet of vertical clearance and was thinking in the future I could use that if it's raining, any words of warning or support with that plan?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mine just sat out in the rain? If you're scared put the control box under a zip lock.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah mine lives outdoors and other than a torrental downpoor it doesn't affect performance.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just got a pack of rubs from meat church and did a shoulder with a mix of the holy gospel and honey hog. Pretty good rubs, recommend.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I am a big honey hog fan. It needs a little kick though, so I often add killer hogs hot BBQ to it.

Holy gospel is one of my standards.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I forgot how hard removing the membrane is from beef ribs.
And how much harder it is when they're already cut

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Unlike pork ribs, the membrane on beef ribs is typically left on. It will separate easily after they are cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, I've read that you leave it on to help the meat stay on the bone during cooking.