Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try my hand at this recipe on Monday for my first adventure smoking: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/apricot-glazed-barbecue-pork-ribs-recipe.html

Now, I have never done this before so please bear with me. I have this smoker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009NU5YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_qWVjzbP787RTE. As far as operation as a smoker, I'm planning on starting some charcoal in the side firebox and putting unsoaked wood chunks on once the coals have started to turn white. At this point, should I close the air vent on the side of the side firebox? Or should I leave it partially open? Also, should the chimney be covered or uncovered during cooking/should I modulate that for temperature control?

I was planning on purchasing some lump charcoal and chunks of smoking wood. I live in a big city, so I should be able to find both of those things in a big box hardware store, right?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions. I don't want to be at this for 16 hours on Monday because I didn't know what I was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Good thing never to soak your wood, it doesn't do anything. You should aim for mostly clear (blue) smoke as this indicates a better combustion and less nasty flavor. Grey smoke bad, white smoke ok, blueish smoke best.

Get a good fire going, make sure your temperature where the meat is going to be is a stable 225 and then add the wood chips. Close the vent partially so the fire doesn't roar,but not all the way so you don't starve the fire and make grey smoke.

You should really practice first to make sure you can get a steady temp after adding the wood and don't see any spikes. This may involve adding less charcoal initially.

Also be aware that after the third hour any smoke you get will have little to no effect on the flavor of the meat as it cannot be absorbed any more so any wood is just being wasted. The rest of the time you are slow cooking to your target internal temp the internal fats are rendering.

I highly recommend a wireless thermometer, with one indicator showing your smoke box temp, and one indicating your meat temp. This is a really good one, but more basic models will serve just as well. https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wir...CZY7KW514YMMSDZ

Thanks for these tips, especially the thermometer recommendation. I have a thermapen for in-process checks, but both my probe thermometers have gone to hell, so this looks like a nice replacement.

I should have enough time to try out a couple hours of smoke production tomorrow night, will report back with questions if I have any.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just a heads up, if you're not strict about which color you get the Maverick's can be found for cheaper if you look around Amazon. Here's the green 733 with free bear claws included for $10 less than that link.

I'm not picky at all! Good looking out, thanks. And I definitely needed some more gadgetry, so bear claws are cool.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

No problem. YOu don't want to keep opening the lid on the smoker if you can at all help it, so the remote probes really help. Make sure you practice tomorrow, you don't want to be learning the smoker while having actual meat on the grill, its a quick way to get bad food.

I ended up having today to start my first experiment with the smoker. It's currently in progress, avoid 30 minutes in, and I'm doing a bit of a dance with the temperature. I used too much charcoal initially, now I'm having a hard time getting the temp down below 260 consistently. I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I made a rub and put it on a whole chicken to smoke, against the recommendation here. If it turns out terribly, we'll go out for dinner, otherwise I may as well get something edible out of the material and time. My smoke looks a thick blue, so I think I'm at least getting something right so far.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nothing wrong with whole chicken. Spatchcocking it or cutting in half makes things a bit faster and easier, but you'll get there eventually. The chickens I've smoked have had amazing dark meat and tough, dry breasts so next time I do one I'll try injecting with creole butter or whatever in hopes of improving that. With chicken, it doesn't hurt to allow it to get a bit hotter as well. I've seen 275f recommended and higher at the end to crisp the skin.

Chicken is a great early smoke, IMHO. Fast, easy, low cost. Heck, I bought two whole chickens for $0.67 a pound last week.

Same price for this chicken, and I've been a spatchcock convert for several months now. I didn't think to inject with anything, but that's a good idea for next time. I cook a lot of chicken so it will be cool to have another method up my sleeve.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Oops I sniped this page. Here's some smoking meat.
After rubbing and getting onto the smoker:

After 3.5 hours at 200-240 F:

I also made some chicken legs, and I don't have any photos of the finished products because smoking is hard, hunger-building work.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I had that exact same grill and side fire box. It was my first. A couple things:

1) Don't get discouraged by it. Meaning it is drat near impossible to just get a stable temp on it.
2) It is very inefficient. It eats charcoal like nobody's business.

And as for anyone cooking chickens, I hope to hell you are all making stock with the remains of the carcass. Given the cost of chicken stock in the store, it basically cuts the price of the chicken you paid for in half.

Edit: And just to add, if you are on the fence for a Insta-pot type electric pressure cooker, it makes great stock in about 90 minutes.

I found both of those things out yesterday, but the final product came out deliciously. I also went through basically an entire bag of chunks/chips. I will indeed make stock with the smoked chicken carcass, in my instant pot not less.

I may not need to be smoking on this thing for very long; my guests yesterday asked me if I would take the egg-style cooker they don't know how to use.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

You probably spent more time asking for the link, then it would have taken you. First video result for "replace heating element on masterbuilt smoker".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTeSlAtzmc

:ironicat:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
That could be part of it, but my guess is that it’s related to the equivalent of a phase transition in the meat or some constituent of the meat. It’s probably a number of complex reactions where one or many things turn into another thing, but it needs to achieve some activation energy first.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just find it hard to believe that the surface of the meat, which is more or less at equilibrium with the environment at 225*F, gets very wet at all. Like the previous poster said, I presume there is some measurable, but constant, effect. I’m curious, though, so I’ll have a look around tonight for anything more concrete.

Foiling may help overcome the crutch by drastically increasing the humidity of the immediate environment, which makes for much more efficient heat transfer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RisqueBarber posted:

Here's the amazing ribs scientific article about the stall and why it happens. Start at "Dr. Blonder"

Okay, that was an interesting read, although I’m confused by this bit near the end as it’s exactly the phenomenon they’re testing against that is demonstrated in this example.

quote:

Apparently the stall is not unique to barbecue. Blonder has proven it can happen in baked goods. He points out that when we put ice cubes in a pan and turn on the heat, the ice remains 32°F and the water from the melting ice remains close to 32°F until all the ice is melted. This is a form of stall. Then the water in the pan rises to 212°F, the boiling point, and stalls there until the water is all gone, regardless of how much energy you apply to the pan. Same phenomenon.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

Curious how you guys do turkeys, I'm thinking of trying one next week. What wood would you suggest?

Deep fry it, just be careful for the love of god.

E: Oops, thought I was in a different thread!

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 2, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

gently caress Maverick. I have a unit that I have used 3 times in less than a year and now the probes or the unit is hosed up. Both probes are reading high one at 100 and the other at 212 when in ICE WATER. How can both probes go bad sitting in a box for 2 weeks? They were fine when I used them 2 weeks ago for a rack of ribs. Now I have a turkey in and a 2nd ready to follow with only a super cheap instant read to use. After I have some coffee I think I am going to go see if Meijer has anything decent or at least a 2nd instant read just to be safe.

I got one of these and had a probe short out or something, too, reading over 150*F at room temperature. I ordered another probe on amazon, see how this one goes.
E: the probe arrived and the new one still reads hot in both ports on the remote transmitter. The old one, mysteriously, is accurate in both ports.

Knew I should have just sprung for the thermoworks one in the first place. I can’t recommend anyone buy the maverick.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 23, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The MES meat probe is often wildly inaccurate. Being able to adjust the smoker temp remotely is about the only thing I use my remote for, but that's really not a big deal either. The window gets covered in smoke residue very quickly and is kind of a pain to clean. I'd use the $40 on a remote dual probe thermometer (Maverick, etc.). They tend to be more accurate (and easier to test) and can be used for indoor cooking, grilling, etc. as a bonus.

I bought a maverick recently and it stopped working correctly within a year. I’d say it’s worth it to save up for the thermoworks Smoke.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I know the curious poster has probably already decided on the Thermoworks, but here’s my (frankly bizarre) story of why I switched from a maverick to the Smoke:

One of the Maverick’s probes stopped reading correctly in both ports on the transmitter, so i ordered a new probe. The new probe also read out the exact same incorrect temperature (like 155* at room temp) as the other, used probe. Threw my hands up at that and ordered a Smoke on Black Friday. Also, the remote receiver is smaller, and has a lanyard. The base unit, where you set the temps, has a very sturdy magnet on the back. It’s much simpler to program than the Maverick, as well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

This whole thing has just been hilarious to me.

I don’t mean to bring up another poster’s history but this fella does the same thing elsewhere in the forums. If it’s a gimmick, it’s very well-executed.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can we get a mod challenge in this forum: gitmo moneyson can only post pics of 5 different grilled or smoked meats in his next 5 posts, must include at least 1 pork butt

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

This thread is for smoking, not grilling. 5 posts with smoked meat

I wanted to give him leeway but you’re right, it’s right there in the title.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

If I have to do this, then does it have to be smoked meat, or can it be smoked stuff in general? Cuz I really wanna try cold-smoking some cheese and butter at some point, and I’ve got this smoked jalapeño popper recipe that’s the bomb.

Sure, that’s fine, whatever, just smoke it

I’ll also accept 5 pictures of you getting blazed as hell, using marijuana. Bonus if you throw it in the egg and see what happens.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I honestly have never seen someone post “my parents” or “my dad” so much in a single thread outside of e/n

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here’s my two racks of spare ribs, rubbed and about to go on. I will probably cook these a bit hotter to finish them by dinner time, but oh well. They get sauced, and will be delicious.

http://imgur.com/a/sanUE

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
All finished. Meat was a bit tough, but the flavor was excellent. I should have sauced less, too.

https://imgur.com/a/MAbiY

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can anybody recommend a smoke+sous vide technique for a pork shoulder? Gonna make Memphis dust and give this method a try soon.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I sous vide’d a pork butt at 155*F for 44 hours then smoked it today for about 2.5 hours. Came out incredibly good. I forgot to take a pic after smoking but i managed a decent bark out of it.

https://imgur.com/a/Fo05H

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BritishRacingGreen posted:

Is it substantially better than a regular smoked pork butt? I have a sous vide, but I’m not sure I want to turn a pleasant 10 hour smoke into a 46 hour project

It is absolutely, 100% easier and less active time investment than smoking it straight would be. I turned it in the water bath twice, otherwise it wasn’t a hassle (although I need to do a better job sealing the bag next time). It really just takes a little bit of pre-planning. Some things I would do differently next time:

Better sealed bag. I had a leak at the very end when I was removing the butt.

Less time sous vide. At the length of time I took (wanted to smoke yesterday but couldn’t due to snow, so I just left it in the bath another 14 hours or so), it was falling apart a bit when I went to smoke it. Lower temp at this time might help.

I might also try smoking first next time and searing with a blowtorch at the end. It was pretty convenient to smoke and form crust at the same time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

You’re a weird guy. Just take a picture on the counter, no one is going to doxx you because of your countertops.

What if his dad sees and recognizes his place on a dead gay comedy forum and kicks him out?

E: he wouldn’t have access to the egg is what

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a dogshit offset smoker. I would probably go insane trying to keep it going for a 10 or 12 hour pork butt smoke, but I doubt I will ever do one without sous vide first, so it’s only a couple hours. I have done ribs that took 6-7 hours, and I think I used about 15 pounds of charcoal and 5 pounds of smoking wood that day. It makes delicious food but drat if it doesn’t vary ~150*F some days.

That said, I have found it fun trying to understand how to control airflow for temperature and I’m thinking of making a couple modifications this summer which should also be fun. Anybody else modified their own smokers?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Uhh an offset char-broil thing?
Nope, charcoal.
That's what the online recipes read said to do?
yeah I know I was estimating duder, I even put the temps down
Nahh I figured I'd wing it but duh cut against the grain
Huh

Oh yeah? Why? Is it just more forgiving or something? It looks like it'll be about the same time frame. Hell I've already got a butt in the freezer. They were on sale for $.99/lb so I racked up a few extras in the deep freezer.

You will never be able to leave an offset char-grill to smoke for several hours without attending it. The thing eats charcoal and wood like a campfire and will never maintain temp for long.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I used a ~30 oz baked beans can, but there’s way bigger cans out there if you know where to look at your grocery store. I also got a giant rear end can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup and an even bigger can of baked beans that I haven’t tried yet. I’m hoping the coals will burn longer in those since they’re bigger.

Coffee cans are common in the US.

E;f,b and even with a big lebowski screenshot

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really drink coffee, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Guy in my office takes all the empties from the break room for... stuff.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Meijer has 37 lbs of kingsford for 10 bucks. I bought 74 lbs, 4 bags.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How could you not figure out where to cut the ribs to make it easier to remove the bones later?? Why would you cut them transverse to the bone??????

Man, you’re such a good troll. Extremely, extremely committed.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Risotto?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a chargriller offset smoker and I would not recommend it to someone else. I can’t speak for the propane grill, but the offset is not well constructed in my opinion.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Doing a single rack of spare ribs today. https://imgur.com/a/jjG5irJ

Going to try to fuss with this mediocre smoker less. Currently riding at ~250*F, let’s see how long it will stay above 225 for. I usually go through 8 pounds of charcoal for an extended cook, but i just added gasket tape to a few more leaky spots so maybe things will be improved today. I’ve also started using a water pan and a couple foil wrapped bricks in the cooking chamber.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Try your oven on self-cleaning mode.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The Smoke is also the last probe thermometer you’ll ever buy for your indoor kitchen. I plan on getting another food probe when I need to keep an eye on a couple things in the oven.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There’s a place in town that does it on Wednesdays and it makes a heavenly sandwich on white bread.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Hit me with methods for smoked cayenne peppers, to be dehydrated and ground into powder. They’re golden cayenne if that matters.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

jonathan posted:

Amazingribs.com smoked turkey method where they seperate the skin from the muscle but leave it attached, and then put oil and herbs underneath works really well. The meat itself gets flavoured and the skin ends up being crispy. You may want to turn the heat up to max for the last bit as it's the temperature that gets the skin crispy. If you're smoking it down in the mid to high 200's I've found the skin stays a bit rubbery. Or just get it almost to temp and then toss it onto the grill at the very end.

Seperating the skin makes the biggest difference though. Possibly it becomes insulated and can't get rid of the heat as easily so it crisps up ? Not sure of the reason.

Separating the skin lets the rendered fat under the skin run off, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Huge_Midget posted:

Fair warning sousviding before smoking will limit the amount of smoke flavor you get. Cold meat absorbs smoke much better than cooked meat.

In my experience, I have not missed anything from SV first, then finish in the smoker. It’s incredibly convenient and makes for very, very appetizing meat afterward. I do strongly recommend investing in one of those grill pans with holes in it to immediately transfer the butt to from the bag, because it will have a tendency to split at a seam with handling.