Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Smoked my first ever turkey today (solo to boot!)

Probably not much of an accomplishment, but since my cooking repertoire is restricted to grilling (and apparently a knack for Coq au Vin), I was proud to be able to contribute meaningfully to my family's Thanksgiving.

edit: In case anyone is curious, I used Cherry wood to smoke it. Not sure what else you'd want to know, as I kinda just winged it. The only other time I've smoked anything was when I made a huge batch of pork BBQ, but I was pretty much the assistant there.

Annath fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so I'm looking for suggestions on a good smoker to buy, and accessories. (I keep seeing nifty temp graph things posted in here and that seems cool. Automation FTW).

I'm on a reasonable (I think) budget of $450 or less total. That may go up a little if I wait a little longer to boost my savings.

Any recommendations?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I was really digging what I saw of the Master built electric model with the built in probe. Only issue was some reviews mentioning the heating element or front panel failing after a year or so, but that wasn't a universal complaint. Anyone have any perspective on that?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I like the idea of the Traeger, although it's a little small. How much would a larger model run?

As much as I likely the features of the Masterbuilt, I'm leery if it's not producing a smoke ring. Wouldn't that imply that it's doing more baking than smoking? Also, what's the temp range it can achieve? It is capable of doing high and hot as well as low and slow?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I ended up getting the Masterbuilt PRO Dual Fuel Smoker from Home Depot. I figured since I don't have a ton of experience with anything more complicated than my grandad's "basically a metal tube that sits on a propane ring with wood chips in the bottom" smoker, I should start off with a less expensive model. I got the dual fuel one because I like the flexibility.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How do you smoke cheese without melting it? I mean obviously it can be done but isn't "cold" smoke still like 150°F? I feel like that would melt the cheese.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MrUnderbridge posted:

Holy crap that looks delish. Used to live in centex and you can't get comparable q up here in Virginia.

Allman's and Buzz and Ned's both have pretty decent BBQ.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I feel like olive oil would burn easier than the butter and herbs my grandma taught me to use.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Started this one this morning, should be done soon. but in the meantime, a pic from the beginning of the day!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've got a turkey on the smoker for tomorrow. Aiming for 230F per what I read online (225-250)

My question: the wood chips I'm using say they'll smoke for about 15-30 minutes. Should I add more after they stop, or just let it sit? It's a propane smoker with a pan for charcoal cooking.

My smoker has a bottom door where the water pan and charcoal/wood chip pan are, so theoretically you can add more water/wood without loose as much heat.

Thoughts?

E: I just saw y'alls posts re:pans :saddowns:

Mines in a pan because I was worried about getting it out of the smoker once it was cooked, and thus more liable to fall apart or something.

I think it's too late to take it off, right? It's been in there almost 30 minutes...

Annath fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Turned out well I think!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

lifts cats over head posted:

My parents just gave me a huge ham that was vacuum sealed and frozen a year and a half ago. Worth trying to do anything with it or just throw it away?

If it's been frozen the whole time, it's perfectly fine to eat.

Even if you don't smoke it, you can dice it up and use it for kick rear end bean/pea soup.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

VERTiG0 posted:

Just over 3 hours later, at an internal temp of 165...

I am using the mobile app, and thought I'd clicked on my bookmark for the Health Care Workers thread.

I had a lot of very unfortunate thoughts running through my head until that image loaded and I realized where I was. :aaaaa:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've had an 8lb bone in pork butt on the smoker for almost 9 hours now. The smoker temp has been hovering between about 217 and 240 throughout the day.

The drat internal temp just will not get past 160. I finally just went and put some foil over it and turned the temp on the smoker up a bit to sit proper at 240.

I really wasn't expecting to have to babysit this thing past midnight, but it's looking like I might have to.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Larrymer posted:

Always start earlier than you think you should. You can always rest the meat when you take it out for probably up to 4-6 hours and it'll stay warm.

First smoke I did I put it in at 7AM and it came out at 11pm. Missed dinner by a good bit. :v: For whatever reason it's closer to 2 hrs/lb of meat for most stuff I've done.

Well luckily the housewarming party I'm taking it to is 16 hours from now :v:

Would it be better to bring it inside and finish it in the oven at this point?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

sellouts posted:

Dude it's 8lbs, it's probably going to take 12.

It was the smallest pork butt the local grocery store had :saddowns:

I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in a 300° oven on convection with a probe.

There's a Jurassic Park Marathon on TV so I guess I'm killing time lol.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Thanks sterster for the link to the thread!

I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow, first time doing so, I've usually only done pork butts and sausages before.

Brisket, 5.7lbs, is trimmed, rubbed and ready for smoking tomorrow morning.

Used a shitton of garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper, paprika, and dark brown sugar, with a smaller amount of kosher salt and cayenne pepper.

I got some solid chunks of hickory and mesquite, figured I'd do a little of both. My smoker (a Masterbuilt Pro Charcoal/Propane combo) isn't too bad, and I have a couple of probe thermometers. Around what temp and time range am I gonna be looking at?

E: I should add that the local butcher I usually go to for these projects was out of brisket until Friday, so I had to go to Wegmans. They have fantastic meats for a chain grocery, but this was still the biggest brisket they had. I'm tempted to go tomorrow and get a 2nd one, since they are so small I could do that, apply a wet rub to the 2nd one, and get both in the smoker by 10am and they'd be ready by dinnertime around 5pm.

Also looking for suggestions of a sauce to buy/make.

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DiggityDoink posted:

I haven't smoked brisket myself, but 7 hours seems like you're seriously underestimating how long they take. Most people are looking at like 2 hours a pound. Look at the post above you, he's putting one on at like 9:30pm and he's hoping it's done around 2pm. There have been a bunch of stories of people starting at 10am and it not being done by 10pm when they were expecting to have it for dinner.

Huh, most of what I was reading was estimating 1.25 hours per lb as a starting point, and this is a fairly small brisket, less than 6lbs. Even if I bought a 2nd one, they're 2 smaller pieces of meat, so I'd have thought they wouldn't take as long as 1 big chunk.

A lot of the crazy long times I was seeing referenced on Google were for like 10-16lb briskets.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah, this. Even an optimistic time for a 5.7-lb brisket is still gonna be like 8-10 hours. You probably don’t need to put your’s on the literal day before like I’m doing (mine is about 10 lbs), but you should really plan to start in the very early morning, like 3 or 4 AM to be safe.

Welp, I guess that answers my question of whether or not to get a 2nd brisket; Wegmans is closed, even if I felt like going back out... Oh well. I knew I should have gotten a 2nd one while I was there.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've got the gas on the smoker at the lowest possible setting, but it keeps creeping up to like 300F.

I think the chunks of wood are burning/becoming charcoal, despite my soaking them for a full hour before use.

Any ideas on what to do?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Canuckistan posted:

soaking chunks just doesn't do much. the water only permeates a fraction of an inch into the wood, so it's pretty much useless. soaking chips is slightly more effective. Did you wrap your chunks in a foil pouch?

Did not wrap them... I've never wrapped wood in the smoker, although I've done that when "smoking" on the grill.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Canuckistan posted:

Sorry, saw gas and assumed grill. R>C>P failure.

Its a hybrid, it can do gas or charcoal.

Although now that the wood isn't burning its stabilized around 235F, which while not an ideal 225F is still perfectly fine. Internal temp on the brisket is 145F, so still a long ways to go.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Oh dear.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Welp, a brief downpour came and went, and soaked my thermometers before I could get them under cover.

The smoker is fine, and ironically the thermometer I use to monitor the cabinet temp is still working, but the one I had stuck in the brisket, while it turns on, just lights up all the segments of the LCD.

So now I don't have a read on the internal temp of the meat.

I tried hooking up the probe that's in the meat to the working thermometer, they're the same brand, just the broken thermometer is newer (I bought it yesterday), but it wouldn't read.

I stuck the broken thermometer in a bowl of rice, so hopefully the screen clears up once it dries out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So the brisket I did turned out OK...

I pulled it at 185F, most of the stuff I read said target temp of 190F, so I pulled it at 185F expecting it to coast to 190F.

It didn't, but that was fine because it turned out incredibly dry anyway... Like, it has tons of flavor, but it really is very dry. The edges are less burnt ends and more (very tasty) beef jerky. The middle part is, like I said, flavorful as hell, and no so dry that some BBQ sauce won't address it, but I'm wondering what I should have done to keep it more moist.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Subjunctive posted:

How aggressively was it trimmed? I’ve found a pretty big difference when there isn’t a fat cap still, though I’m not sure quite the mechanism at work.

Ah, that might be it. I trimmed most of the surface fat off, but looking at some other pictures online I probably took way too much off.

Oh well, it still tastes good, and it was a small and relatively cheap piece, so next time I know what to do with a big expensive piece.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Internet Explorer posted:

Try a point next time. Much more forgiving wrt drying out.

I usually get my meat for "special projects" from a local butcher because, while they're more expensive, they will get me literally anything and it's always locally sourced and top quality.

Unfortunately, they were out of brisket until Friday (today), so I had to go to the grocery store. All they had were flats, and the 5.7lb one I got was the biggest they had.

Looking at photos of brisket online, I'm assuming that they had already trimmed the fat to a reasonable amount, and I just carved off all that was left lmao.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I like your boulder.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I was going to smoke a pork butt tomorrow, but the heat index is going to be 112F so it might literally kill me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Doing something new today: rubbing a pork shoulder with mustard (like bottled not powder) before applying the rub. Some blog said it helps the rub penetrate/stick better.

I figure the worst that can happen is the pork BBQ tastes mustardy, which is not a big deal.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Subjunctive posted:

The worst will happen -- nothing in mustard is going to help it penetrate, and IME it doesn't stick any differently than with just water or oil -- but as you say it's a fine outcome.

Kinda figured, but you never know what random blog might actually have some amazing tip unless you try it!

Also smoking some baked beans to go with it; we're going on vacation tomorrow and nobody ever wants to cook dinner the first night so this way we'll have delicious food already made!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Awwww yeahhh

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZF8Z5V/?tag=097-20&ascsubtag=v7_1_4_g_51vz_4_x01_-srt5-

:thunk:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Hasselblad posted:

Good lord what a complicated and silly pile of mess for one of the simplest cooking methods.

It popped up in an ad on Facebook ( :tinfoil: ) and I couldn't help but stare in amazement/horror.

The reviews mention that it can't keep temp well in the main chamber, and can't do hot smoking at all in the side chambers without extra heat from charcoal or something.

Also apparently when the hopper gets low, it has a habit of letting the burning pellets ignite the ones in the hopper bin, which caused at least one person's machine to just die.

Another mentioned that he discovered that the igniter had gone bad when the grill started shocking him every time he touched it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Spiggy posted:

It's been a few weeks, but I think mine were done at 275 for six hours over hickory with no crutch. My thermometer was shy of 200 before it got probe tender. I used a Montreal steak seasoning but next time I'm using something worth a lot less salt.

There's a low sodium version of both the Montreal Steak and Montreal Chicken Seasoning!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I get them untrimmed from my farmer and this one had a dry cap on it on one side. But there was good meat on the other I didn’t want to give up.

Fed 14 total. They were about 15 inches long each.

When you refer to the trim and a dry cap, what does that mean?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

McSpankWich posted:

^ what he said

The stall is actually caused by the excess moisture in the meat coming to the surface and evaporating off, so by introducing more moisture you're prolonging the stall. What this looks like practically is that when your meat actually does come to temp (like 5 hours after it should have) it will actually be dried out. I know this because I thought it would be a good idea to spritz my butts one day and this is that happened.

Raising the humidity of the smoking chamber should prevent moisture evaporating from the meat. That's why humid air feels hotter than dry air: evaporative cooling is less effective.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
My mom wants me to come smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving.

They bought a frozen turkey, and are trying to thaw it.

How can I assess the potential level of thawedness when I go over on Tues to dry brine the bird?

I know smoking will be less forgiving of frozen spots than oven roasting, so I figured I'd check here.

Is there a good guide to smoking a turkey, in terms of time/temp ranges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm seriously considering just doing the bird in the oven... I have no idea how big of a bird they got, but I've never spatchcocked one before, and I'm worried trying to smoke it is going to turn out poorly...

But everyone is excited for a smoked bird :ohdear: