Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello thread!

I am looking for a recommendations for a smoker.

Until now I've lived in small aprtments and the only smoking I could do was soaking some woodchips and sealing them in foil with some meat. (Or those pre-filled smoker bags)
But now I live somewhere where I can burn things outdoors!
So anyways, what I'm looking for is something big enough to hold at least one rck of ribs, uncut. (I don't mind cutting other things to fit)
I don't mind prep work, but I really want to set-and-forget once everything is inside and turned on.
What would y'all recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enos Cabell posted:

Set and forget is exactly what a pellet smoker will get you. There are tons of models out there, I've got a Traeger that I picked up at Costco a few years back and it has been pretty much foolproof.

thank you.
What are pellets like with fuel and cleanup?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do the pellets matter or are they interchangeable?
Or does only the size matter?

And where does the initial heat come from to start the pellets?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Different opinions, but I like pit boss competitive blend pellets from Lowes. There are definitely differences in quality between brands.

For starting there is an electric igniter in the cup at the end of the auger.

Sorry I meant: Can I put thoss pitboss pellets in any pellet smoker? Or is each brand of smoker designed to only work with the matching proprietary pellet?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Alright, thanks everyone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

toplitzin posted:

I'm still a huge fan of my Masterbuilt electric smoker. I haven't run out of room in mine yet.

Electric is even more set and forget since once you're done with adding chips (first 2-3 hours) it needs nothing else other than to be left plugged in.

No pellets to run out of mid cook, or have to clean out and refill the hopper if you want a different smoke flavor.

A full cook will use maybe 2 cups of chips total if I really want a lot of smoking/flavor.

The only things it can't do are the smoke ring (because no actual combustion) and high heat cooking (Max 275°F), so poultry gets finished on the grill/hot oven for crisp skin if needed.
Before posting this is where I was leaning, and it's much cheaper than the other options posted.
Why is combustion needed for a smoke ring? I thought it was made just from the smoke itself permeating the meat?

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah that is the one big downside to pellet smokers for sure. I keep a Weber Kettle Classic parked next to the Traeger for actual searing/grilling duties.

This was my plan: A dedicated grill and a dedicated smoker. I was going to go propane because growing up charcoal always took forever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I ended up getting the Masterbuilt 30" With the legs and window.
I would have gotten the 40 like suggested but:
It was out of stock everywhere
It was $100 more
I took a tapemeasure to the slabs at my FLGS (Friendly Local Grocery Store) and they all measured small enough to fit.

I also got a cover and the thread recomended pellet maze so all I'm missing is a lewd apron.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 16, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Anyone else’s dog just LOVE to piss on their smoker? Like dude I literally give you a piece of meat every time I use it.

I assumed he would so I made sure to get the one with legs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What is "the stall"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok thread! Today is the big day! The first real smoke!

I started with a 13 pound brisket and cut it into thirds,
then I opened the smoker, filled the water dish, the pellet maze, and lit the pellet maze for 45 seconds until the ends got black and smoldered a bit. It was too bright out to see if they enflamed, but I came back a few minutes later and the aparatus smelled like smoke so I hope it took.
Turned on the smoker at 275 for 6 hours
Finally I rubbed one of the cuts and put it in the smoker, sealed it up, and ran here to post. Wish me luck!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's been about an hour and it didn't seem like the maze smoked or burned at all. So I just added some chips.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 25, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just took it out to let it rest on the counter for an hour.
It's very pretty looking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everything came out perfect except it was really tough. I suspect it's because I didn't give it enough time at temperature. The areas near the edge came out perfect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Looks good though!

Was that your first smoke ever?

First real smoke. I had tried a bunch of cheaty methods of steaming with smoke like items.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-Pit-Boys-Smoker-Bags-Set-of-2-mesquite-Smoking-Bags-for-Indoor-or-Outdoor-/133512495980
Like this and having my apartment smell of smoke for a day or so.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Try a pork butt next. A lot less work/money and will help you hone in your skills.

I have the two remaining pieces of the brisket, about the same size of this one I might try something different, but I need the space in the freezer first.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't have a probe, I'm in the middle of a move and didn't unpack it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought opening the smoker during the cook would be a big-huge no-no?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have a probe that I stick in the meat at the start of the cook and monitor by Bluetooth. So that’s an option if you’re concerned about opening the smoker.

I was just going to close the door on the chord and let the rubber seal it in.
I was commenting on the more brail probes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Welp. I might have broken my freezer so looks like I'm going to try again tomorrow!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

I'm intensely curious on what you did to break it. Did you suplex it from a great height? Use it as a workbench?

My wife overfilled one of the baskets and basically left the door open. Thankfully it was a lot of panic over nothing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LtK posted:

First time I've been able to smoke a brisket in 8 years

You still got it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have a question about pellets.
I got the maze and then today I got a butane torch to light it. So I put about a fistful of pellets in the maze, and I got the first few pellets to light (a flame appeared). So then I put the maze in the smoker to wait ten minutes and left to mow the lawn. When I came back only the first few pellets I lit looked like they burned and the rest didn't get hit. Is there something I missed?

Link this:

Zarin posted:

For anyone else using an MES and pellet tubes: what do you do with the chip loader? Do you leave it in? Pull it out halfway? Remove it entirely?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaddish posted:

First use a propane torch instead of butane and keep the flame on the pellets for a good 60 seconds. Also you want to pack them in pretty well.

I have both the maze and the tube - I find the tube stays lit a little better than the maze.

Thanks but why propane instead of butane?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've had to relight the maze three times now :(

E: how do you all do it?
I filled the maze and set it on the bottom rack of the smoker
I turned on the smoker
I waited about half an hour for it to dry out.
I used the torch to burn it until it caught fire and then kept going for a solid minute.
It's burning, it's smoking.
I close the door, but not seal it shut
I come back ten minutes later, and its smoldering
I add food
I come back an hour later to check on it, no smoke.
Light it again
Blow out the flame ten minutes later
Two hours later I check up on it, no smoke. I relight it again, letting it burn and smoke
Twenty minutes later I come back, no smoke
E2 now I've pulled the loader out half way and lit it again

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 9, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doom Rooster posted:

Do you have some airflow into the smoker, like at least a crack/ajar smoker smoke tube?

What brand pellets? The cheap ones typically are both less dry out of the bag, and will have bark inclusions which don't burn as well.

How full is the maze to the top? Even if you only fill halfway through the maze, you want the pellets to be nearly overflowing so you get a big solid chunk of ember.

General tip: I like to actually leave like an inch of empty space at the beginning of the maze, so that I can light the top and that whole side, instead of just the top.

Where do you live? If it's somewhere super humid, you will legit want to get an airtight container, and potentially bake them in the smoker at a high temp for a while first before cooling and storing.

I tried pulling the loader half out, but generally I left it how it normally sits.
Kingsford blend. I've kept them in a box in the garage.
Here's a picture of how I filled it:

Today was pretty humid, it rained all morning and then after I thought it stopped the was some periods of mist.

In the end I just added some chips for the last two hours and it came out like this:

I waited until 190, and the meat itself was good enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sinburger posted:

I cut separate the flat and point and then forget which way the grain goes and hope for the best.

always cut at a 45 angle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I always do my grocery shopping on Sunday morning so I can buy meat at 50% off. Which means I can waste a serloin and skirt steak on an experiment this weekend.

God speed, little meats.

(The skirt steak should be ready by lunch and I plan to cut up the serloin for lunch during the week)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Those look amazing, I'll tell you what.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This weekend is the yearly buy one get two sale for ribs. The st Paddy's day of baby backs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So, The Stall.

You're supposed to just wait it out right?
Like just wait like 4 hours and move on with your life?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

Depends on the item; some methods wrap at that time to help get through it faster I think

I'm going to be making ribs on Friday and a Brisket on Sunday.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Warbird posted:

Anyone here have an opinion on “country ribs”. My old man has gotten hardcore into them and now will cook a couple each time he’s doing burgers. They’re decent but not amazing imo.

I like to sear them like steak

E; I'm talking about the boneless ones.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 7, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
3-2-1, ok actually like 1.7 ribs:
I added the sprouts and corn after 3

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stringent posted:

smoked a chuck roast and pulled it

just made a shepard's pie with the leftovers

still can't take a decent photo to save my life tho

Humble brag here about your mouth watering photo skills
I want to make this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok, so I have a chunk of meat.
If its in a foil tray, to keep things clean, it's going to stall forever right? Because it's going to sit in it's own juices and never be able to sweat?
But then, if I wrap it the same thing will happen right?
So then is the play to put them on the rack, put the foil tray underneath to collect drippings?

I'm learning that I might just have too much anxiety to just leave it forever because after an hour or two of stall I have to futz with it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to lose the tray and also the bottoms have the texture of utter mush

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno if you got this in the states, but the gas dealers have been trying to scare people for years to get rid of their metal bottles and swap in composites, but people refuse to give them up.

Wait, do you own a singular container and refill it?

In the states we trade in the container for a new one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chemmy posted:

You can refill them in the US. It’s cheaper and they fill it more full. Uhaul dealers do it here, and the pro tip is to exchange your lovely tank for a fresh new one at the swap places whenever you need.

Huh. I never knew you could do this. I always just saw them outside grocery stores and gas stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doom Rooster posted:

Hell yeah!

Hell yeah!