Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’ve done cast iron reverse and regular sear and it works great - and if done correctly (pan is hot as hell) will fill the house with smoke instantly. I prefer to sear on the grill or stick it under the broiler.

I almost always cook steak in a sous vide and finish in the broiler these days.

Edit - I don’t have an oven hood though. Would probably mitigate the smoke issue. Some day.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

nwin posted:

I did beef back ribs from costco yesterday.

225 for about 5 hours with salt, pepper, granulated garlic as a rub. No sauce.

These were some of the best ribs we’ve ever had. Half the time I do pork ribs, some of them turn out dry while waiting for the bend test. These just were pretty much perfect with a great bark and smoke ring on them.

I dunno if I’ll go back to pork ribs.

If you haven’t had them yet, try the full plate beef rib. It’s my favorite of all bbq. Back ribs are fine, and cheap, but they don’t have enough meat to make it worthwhile for me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

Where do you guys find whole plate beef ribs? Actual butcher shops?

Yeah, I have to order them from my butcher - though I did find them exactly once at Costco.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wouldn’t go to 200 with tenderloin. Treat it like a steak with regard to temperature.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Tri-tip is good for that vibe, picanha is very similar and also good.

If I'm going to smoke a steak it's going to be a ribeye. Either the steak version or the whole shebang.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
They look extremely edible.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I like my Traeger well enough but for the money I really like my dads Green Mountain Grill. A ton of good options these days.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
They make pretty tiny pellet grills as well. Even portable ones.

Edit - I loved my little MES30 until the controller broke. I never used the chip tray though, only smoke tube.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 23, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My assumption is the cast iron gets hotter/better heat retention. Same reason you sear a steak in a ripping hot cast iron pan.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the good / best price for pellets?

I’ve tried a bunch of different brands and have settled on Costco.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think Kirkland is like 9.99 for 40lbs. Tremendous value for the quality!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've had good results spritzing, and good results not. I do typically put in a little apple cider vinegar if I'm wrapping with foil - which I've been doing lately because the wife prefers it that way.

My current method is a 2 hour smoke and then finished all the way in the oven wrapped in foil - again mainly for my wife who prefers fall-off-the-bone tenderness.

She also likes the 24-hour sous vide method.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just try no wrap, or wrap with butcher paper instead of foil.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kwolok posted:

Sigh ok, I'm lazy and was hoping this method would achieve the same.

Somewhat paradoxically, I find that ribs are less tender when going down to 225. I've settled on 275 for a sweet spot of convenience and texture. But yeah, you need to wrap to get fall off the bone tenderness.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 4, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The only cut of meat I don’t use an instant read thermometer would be something very thinly sliced, like galbi or maybe a smash burger. I always do for steak, chicken, etc.

Like, why wouldn’t you if you have one.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Chicken and ribs are great for beginner bbq. My wife would be happy if I only did chicken forever. Chicken a little more tricky but very rewarding. Those look very edible!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Tl;dr I’m invited to someone’s backyard to use their pellet smoker. This is probably a one-time deal. The star of the show that I’m making for that dinner will be ATK’s smoked chuck roast, which is absolutely amazing and I totally recommend.

Bearing in mind the smoker will be 350° for a couple hours, what other bits and pieces can I throw in? Sides would be cool, but I’m really thinking of treats I can take home and spread out for a week. Like, I would absolutely love to do salmon, but I think the temp is too high for even hot smoked, right? What else?

I didn’t read the recipe yet but 350 seems really high for chuck roast.

Edit - read the recipe. I mean, if it works it works. I’d be curious to try it. I treat chuck roast just like a (small) brisket.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 21, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I never smoke boneless pork shoulder - I use that for braised carnitas. But Costco had boneless shoulder on sale for like 1.50/lb or something ridiculous so I smoked like 10lbs worth and it turned out great.

Foiled it in a foil tray with some homemade chicken stock at around 170. Pulled it at 208 degrees, delicious.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It takes longer to haul my mixer out than it does to shred 10lbs of pork with a couple of forks but I’m all for getting more out of that $$$ investment.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm surprised you can store it anywhere but on the counter

I have so much kitchen crap we had to get a couple of wire racks to store stuff, it's on one of those. But I have to walk all the way to the other end of the kitchen to get it, c'mon man!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Farten Barfen posted:

I have one of those dead-simple masterbuilt small electric smokers and it says to only use wood chips and not pellets but doesn’t explain what the risk is. I have a big bag of pellets that I stupidly bought before I read the manual and I just ran out of chips.

Is there some way to safely/effectively use pellets or is just a bad idea all around?

Don’t use the tray at all and instead get a smoke tube or maze on Amazon.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Making short ribs into chili is a crime.

lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I am intrigued.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah but the majority of that meat is just going to braise in the pineapple. It will cook through and it will probably be tender, but most of it won't be exposed to the smoke and it certainly won't come out like burnt ends unless the plan is to remove the meat when it's at temp and finish like regular burnt ends. Thinking about it, I assume that is the plan because otherwise it's gonna be gross.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The maze can go for like 10-12 hours in my experience (if it stays lit)

I usually light both ends because I don't actually need smoke for that long. I read somewhere, maybe amazingribs or Kenji, that almost all the smoke action takes place in the first 4 hours of a smoke.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If they are chuck ribs, they should cook really similarly to plate ribs. Any of the beef ribs can be cooked low and slow so you shouldn't have a problem.

But yes, they are going to take forever. Well worth it though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've done whole chickens both ways. The downside of spatchcock is the chicken cooks much more quickly, which means less smoke. I think I enjoy the end product more when I don't spatchcock.

That said, I don't even do whole chickens unless they are on sale for like $1/lb and I can't resist. I prefer doing quarters.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I did one last year with a spicy cherry glaze, was great.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just got a pack of rubs from meat church and did a shoulder with a mix of the holy gospel and honey hog. Pretty good rubs, recommend.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Unlike pork ribs, the membrane on beef ribs is typically left on. It will separate easily after they are cooked.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smoking meat doesn't preserve it unless you at least cure and dry it.

You ate 1-2 month old cooked chicken. No difference from taking a rotisserie chicken from the store, putting it in the fridge, and eating it a month/s later.

That said, it's probably fine, just not 'preserved'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If you like juicy pulled pork you can try something like this meat church video but use traditional pulled pork flavor profiles:

https://youtu.be/UkenVuBMW5o?si=W06_XQ54tdXfXy-V

I’ve done a few shoulders like this - turns out great.