Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So after years of smoking on a MES I decided to get a pellet smoker. Starting with an easy 3 slabs of 321 ribs, but still nervous. Has anyone used an Amazen pellet smoker along with a pellet grill? I figure I can just put it underneath the heat shield and it will act normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

FogHelmut posted:

I was thinking about getting a dedicated smoker, but I've already got two grills and am running out of space. Thoughts on getting a pellet grill to to cover all duties? They seem to have the convenience of a gas grill, and the flavors of wood/charcoal. I don't enjoy all of the maintenance for long term smoking in the Weber kettle, but I do enjoy the hyper heat to sear things, which I understand a lot of pellet grills can't do well? Traeger seems to be the name brand, but I'm reading they have a lot of quality issues. I was looking at the Louisiana grill at Costco, or the slightly lower priced Pit Boss Pro at Lowes.

I recently got a pit boss at Lowes and have been happy with it. Only used to smoke 3-2-1 ribs and a couple pounds of jerky; and grill chicken, pork and steaks so far. Seems to keep temperature pretty steady and the smoke setting on it definitely produces smoke. Trying to do a pork butt and/or a brisket next weekend which I guess is the first real test.

From what I understand the Louisiana and the Pit Boss are from the same manufacturer, just different product lines.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

FogHelmut posted:

I think the Louisiana are a little higher end? The one at Costco is only $100 more, similar size to the Lowe's Pit Boss, and comes with a cover. The Louisiana also has a temperature range of 170 to 600, where the Pit Boss is 180 to 500 I believe.

They are supposed to be. If it comes with a cover for only $100 more it's likely worth it.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

After using a MES for years I got a pellet smoker for myself for Father's Day and drat does this thing feel like cheating. Did my first brisket and was projecting 12 hours, came in at 12:15. Checked the temp every 45 minutes or so and it never deviated that much from 225. Lots of good flavor and my first smoke ring.

Throw in that I can use it as a grill for burgers, chicken, chops, and steaks and I'm in heaven.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Twlight posted:

That looks great! I really like that serving platter you have there, where did you get it?

It's some odd sized tray that they used on trains back in like the early 60's. I have a set of 4 of them and they are easily the most used items in my kitchen, and I don't have a clue why.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I'm about to make the jump from my faithful MES to some type of pellet smoker. Which one did you go with, if I may ask?

Doom Rooster posted:

How are the economics of the pellet grills? I used to have an outdoor pizza oven that ran on pellets and it was exxxpppeeennssssiiiivvvvveeee, but you had to use some ultra premium ones otherwise they burned dirty and not hot enough.

For a 12 hour brisket cook, how many $ worth of pellets would you say you go through (non-winter)?

I bought my Pit Boss Pro 820 from Lowes and got a 40 pound bag of pellets at the same time for $15. I still have about 10 pounds left after smoking for 25 hours and grilling for about 5 hours. The higher heat is going to use to use pellets quicker, but I haven't really gotten a handle yet on how much more. I was really surprised that Lowes had the best price locally for grills and pellets.

I looked at both Pit Boss and Z-Grills, but someone on here bought a Louisiana Grill pellet grill recently which is supposed to be a higher end Pit Boss. Never really considered a Traeger because of the price point. After 7 weeks I love the thing. Smoke/grill time is a breeze, cleanup isn't terrble, and the fuel cost is probably between charcoal and propane.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Getting ready to smoke 3 racks of baby backs, is there something other that 3-2-1 ribs I should be considering?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Does anyone have a recipe for smoked chicken thighs they like? I'm doing a pork shoulder tomorrow and want to throw some chicken thighs on at the end of the smoke, but haven't really found anything that really enticed me.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Hed posted:

I’m phone posting but pretty sure I’ve posted my favorite in the thread if you would like to ? me

Always a big hit with fam and friends.

Couldn't find it, but decided to go with a variation of this:

https://www.bbqdryrubs.com/smoked-chicken-thighs/

Trying to get crispy chicken skin is a lot more prep work than I'm willing to do, so I'll settle for "not bicycle tire" and rely on flavor. If it turns out edible I'll post pics, otherwise I'll just disappear and act like I never tried to smoke chicken thighs.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Some of y'all have been brined too long because it's getting awfully salty in here.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Fall Dog posted:

Is there a consensus on Pit Boss branded pellets? A local hardware store started stocking them recently and I grabbed a bag of their competition blend to test. I've been using the Traeger pellets, but they've increased in price.

That's all I've used and haven't had any issues. Lowe's has 40lb bags of a couple of different blends for $15 each, so it's really hard to pass up.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a whole smoked chicken who's skin is comparable to a roasted/broasted chicken. It just takes too long to get a good flavor out of the smoker for it to be compatible with crispy skin. The closest I've come is baking soda (powder?), dry brine, and a ton of butter underneath the skin.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Anybody have a temp and time they use for chicken legs? Take to 165 or higher? Doing a combo naked, dry rub, traditional spice, and wet BBQ.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Gwaihir posted:

Publix here was out of everything but a giant pile of corned beefs.

Which means, well, time for Pastrami.

Just a small 4 pound cut of flat:

apply smoke:

shovel in to face along w/ crispy garlic potatoes

This stuff makes the best god damned diced bits to crisp up a little in a pan and then mixed in to scrambled eggs.

Planning on doing one on Saturday. Did you desalinate?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

BraveUlysses posted:

hooo boy next time i see a pork shoulder at the store for a the right price this is what i'm trying, pork shoulder burnt ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oj5-k3IRg

I did this and a pastrami yesterday and they were both some of the best smokes I've done. I still prefer brisket burnt ends but that pork was pretty drat tasty.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Anybody have a recipe for a butterflied leg of lamb they like? They were on sale at the store this week so my wife picked up a couple, and other than going with rosemary and thyme for seasoning I'm kinda at a loss.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Anybody have a recipe for a butterflied leg of lamb they like? They were on sale at the store this week so my wife picked up a couple, and other than going with rosemary and thyme for seasoning I'm kinda at a loss.

I ended up using this rub and this chimichurri recipe with the leg. Dry brined for 16, rubbed and wrapped the leg for 4. Smoked at 225 for about 3 hours until I got an internal temperature of 136 degrees. It was really good but I should have taken it off about 10 minutes earlier. Thanks to the multiple people that recommended a chimichurri, it added some nice flavor.

Edit: Also, it's time to retire the horse buttholes, Slow Smoking Meat: I'm a microbiologist, dumbass

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 3, 2020

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Title change and a bunch of pictures of smoked meat. It's Christmas in July!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I use either this or meathead's rub depending on what I'm smoking. You'll see that some rubs have a considerable amount of sugar or none at all. I feel like the sugar is important to building a good bark on a long smoke, but doesn't really carmelize properly on a shorter smoke.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I just paged through the pictures but I'm going to assume that was a picture of the salt and pepper rub that flashed by quickly.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

BobbyDrake posted:

Just threw an absolute unit of a chuck roast on the Pit Boss. I only used a siimple rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder, so we’ll see how it turns out.

Pay no attention to the grass the desperately needs mowing... been lazy the past week after the week of rain we had.

Do you get much additional smoke from having the tube on that side? I have a pit boss and I've contemplated using the A-maze-in I bought for use in my MES, but I didn't know if it would add that much.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I just had a discussion with my wife where I started to think i might be wrong. Do you flip your meat when smoking? I might rotate, but I've never thought to flip a brisket or pork butt.I've just kind of assumed no reason to flip when the heat is so low.

AITA for not turning over my meat?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

um excuse me posted:

Pellet grills generally don't like being dirty. If you want to clean as often as you cook it's not an issue. But most people don't like what I just said.

I've had a Pit Boss pellet grill for about 15 months and cleaning and not being able to get a proper sear on grilled food would be my only complaints. The cleaning is a bit of a double edged sword because although I have to do it more frequently than I do with either my MES or my propane grill, I really should be cleaning both of those more frequently than I do.

I can smoke at 200 and grill at up to 500; even grilling burgers imparts a slight smoky flavor to the food which is nice. It is kind of a smoking cheat code in that you can set it and forget it (as long as you keep the hopper full of pellets)

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I got my first full packer brisket to smoke this weekend, any consensus on separating the flat and the point or doing them together?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

T-Square posted:

I asked this a couple of weeks ago to no answer, because I was planning on doing a whole packer and doing burnt ends with the point and slicing the flat. What I ended up doing was partially filet the point from the flat, but not completely, so I could season all up and in between that area and then laid the point back in its place. Smoked it all in one piece, separated them and wrapped the flat and tossed it in a cooler while I cubed the point and turned it into burnt ends. Worked out really well for me actually.

But I guess if you’re not planning on doing burnt ends with the point it’s kind of moot advice :shobon:

I'm thinking I want to make burnt ends too for a little variety.

um excuse me posted:

I didn't answer because I wasnt sure for burnt ends.

But for a regular smoke, the notes go like this:

-Don't seperate point and flat, though you can cut out as much fat in between as you can manage
-Dry brine it for a day
-Inject it with beef broth + whatever else you want
-Beef rub
-Smoke at 225°F
-Crutch it at 160°F
-Total time should be 8-12 hours.

I'm thinking it's going to take at least 18 hours to do the whole 20 pounds. I usually put the rub on right before smoking; when do you inject, same time as dry brine or right before rub?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm thinking I want to make burnt ends too for a little variety.

I'm thinking it's going to take at least 18 hours to do the whole 20 pounds. I usually put the rub on right before smoking; when do you inject, same time as dry brine or right before rub?

Ended up at 17+ pounds after trimming. Left point and flat connected, but will separate at ~185 to make burnt ends.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Ended up at 17+ pounds after trimming. Left point and flat connected, but will separate at ~185 to make burnt ends.

And the deckle is done after 9 hours. I really give up trying to time smoking meat. This can't be that hard.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Subjunctive posted:

I stand by my claim that brisket requires between four seconds and nine days per pound, every time.

Brisket is a big muscle. Lots of opportunity for variation in internal structure and composition. It has to taste really good or nobody would both with the “I wonder what meal I’m cooking this for?” lottery.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I'm not taking warm brisket to my mom tomorrow, but I'm eating some really delicious burnt ends tonight.

We can reheat tomorrow and it will still kick rear end.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Ultimate Mango posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to just salt and smoke a four bone rib roast? I don’t have time to dry age. I don’t want to faff around taking off the bones and the cap. I don’t want to sous vide it.
I can just smoke it, rest, it, and eat it, right?

I did just that last week. Smoked rib roast is fantastic, I just let the dry salt brine on it for 24 hours.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

This isn't a smoking question, but it does tie in to my pellet smoker. Does anyone here have experience with a pellet pizza oven? My wife is dropping leading questions about getting me one for my birthday but I didn't know if anyone here has actually used one before.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

born on a buy you posted:

The ooni pellet pizza ovens are good and make good pizza

I think that's the one she's looking at. If it can really get up to 950 and maintain it for 30-ish minutes on pellets, might be worth a shot.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I went from a MES to a pellet grill and I've never looked back. I can't put a good char on a bunch of food, but if I open the grates I can get a char on a couple of burgers or pieces of chicken.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Bluedeanie posted:

I am planning my first brisket smoke for Memorial Day. It will be done on a kamado and we intend to feed about 6 people. Would I be better suited getting a flat or a point? I trust a packer would be excessive.

Always always always do as much brisket as you can fit. There are so many delicious uses for left over brisket you can have a unique dinner each night until it's all gone.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The wife bought me a coffee rub so I decided to do a pepper stout beef because I figured those profiles work well together and I swear to god I'm going to eat it way before I'm supposed to. Also bought a thermoworks signals since I got grill envy from the guy that was posting his charts earlier. Anyways happy 4th!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Not a question about smoking per se, but how does everyone else manage the cords on probe thermometers? I bought a thermoworks signals and am looking for a safe and uncluttered way to manage the cords. I might try to make some spindles on a 3d printer if nothing else.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Just to close the loop on this, one down three to go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Zarin posted:

Trying to find not-Traeger pellets locally is difficult as hell, it turns out.

I'm west of Chicago and it seems everyone has dumped their inventory for the year. I want to cold smoke some cheese, and picked up one of those pellet tubes, but sourcing the pellets is turning into a real trick.

Is there an easy way to cold smoke with wood chips? I have plenty of those lying around, and those are easy as hell to find still. I saw the little fireboxes that had an image of using chips on the label, but i'm not sure if chips will sustain a smolder the same way pellets will.

I'm going to go to Menard's to look at Christmas lights tonight, so if I have to just suck it up and get Traeger pellets I will. But all my research suggests that there's a lot better stuff out there. I figure I'll start ordering online tonight, but since I wanted to try and cold smoke some cheese for Thanksgiving, now is the best time to do it so it has time to sit in the fridge, vacuum-sealed.

Lowes in the SW suburbs have pit boss pellets 40lb/$16

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Zarin posted:

The video I was watching suggested that Traeger and Pit Boss were on the same tier :(

I do realize that this is a "me" problem for not doing my homework ahead of time and just ordering online. I'll correct that tonight, but I was really hoping to cold smoke today/tomorrow with the pellet tube so I could vac seal and fridge some cheese in time for appetizers on Thanksgiving.

. . . which, I ALSO didn't realize I wanted to do until my Thanksgiving plans changed earlier this week. :sigh:

Do you have a link you could share? I've been using the pit boss competition blend for a couple of years and really like the flavor it gives. I sometimes get the lumberjack fruit tree pellets when they're on sale when I'm looking for something a little more subtle, so they might work well for cheese.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Zarin posted:

Sure! I can't say for sure that he's right, of course, since I don't have enough experience with any of this yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXXiOa_gIFM

I've found his how-to videos to be pretty useful, and the comments mostly seem to agree with him (for whatever that's worth).

Thanks, this definitely gave me some stuff to think about. Pit-boss pellets have worked well for me for flavor and I've had one auger jam in 2 years; according to pit-boss they don't use and additives or glues (https://pitboss-grills.com/products/pit-boss-40-lb-competition-blend-hardwood-pellets). Their fruit tree blends didn't work that well for me, and the mesquite was way too overbearing.

In any event, I love having this kind of info available. I think especially for pellet grills a lot of the variance we can introduce is from the pellets themselves, so it is nice to have other people looking at the quality of the fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

For shorter smokes (< 2 hours) I also like to do sausages (like brats or hot italian) and chicken thighs. I make large batches of either and turn leftovers into appetizers (sausage / cheese / crackers) or chicken soup.