Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

niss posted:

If you can find an Eggfest event close by....

Is there any "set" time of year they do these events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
So when smoking honey is it best to let it stay warmish so it takes on more smoke flavor, or use a cold smoking method with something like a a-maze-n smoker and just stir it every now and then?

Though guess it would be a good idea to stir it up either way whether it is warm or cold, just be easier with it being warm.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm still fairly new to smoking so I have stupid questions time to time... the water pan, particularly in the mastebuilt 40'. How much water should be in there, should you fill it up once it start evaporating into the cook, etc. I've read different things about it so I'm not too sure

I generally went half way more or less.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

I must get a better smoker, because there is no way in hell that I could keep mine going for 7 hours without it going out.

Keep adding "fuel"?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

so, what. wake up every 2-3 hours during the middle of the night to add fuel?

I guess if you are running something that burns that in-efficient, then pretty much?

I am going to assume you are using an electric?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

No, i'm using a ECB 40 dollar special POS smoker.

Then yes you will have to wake up every "2-3 hours" to add fuel until you get a smoker that does not require that kind of attention.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Beautiful day here South of Houston, TX.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Just some one made out of some heavy gauge pipe I got from a friend of mine, kind of small, and runs hot, but works pretty good.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

Or should i only have the heat coming from the side burner?

That is correct, you want your heat source to be from your offset chamber:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Regnevelc posted:

I just bought a Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker from Amazon that showed up today.

I'm pretty excited to get into smoking to broaden my meat choices and cooking styles.

Going to do chicken thighs and sausages tonight.

Don't forget to let that thing sit up a few hours at the highest temp it will run so it burns off all the oils and poo poo from the factory out of it.

My 40" is essentially dead (again) now. =/

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Trastion posted:

What is wrong with your 40"?

I will plug it in, set the time/temp, turn it on, it will fire up for a brief moment then trip the gfci outlet it is plugged into, repeat x forever.

This occurred a while back, when it was just about to go out of its extended warranty period I had on it, it was determined to be a shorted out heating element, which was replaced and solved the problem....for a while, it may be this same thing again and or the wiring harness is hosed up in the unit.

I may invest the money to try the heating element again, just don't want to keep plinking away at it that way if I don't need to.

Regnevelc posted:

Will do, I was planning on doing meats tonight, but maybe I'll just prep it tonight and cook tomorrow evening on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah read the manual as suggested already, it mentions that process, also I recall spraying down the interior of the unit with PAM when doing that burn in routine, this was many years ago however.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

atothesquiz posted:

While I know nothing about your smoker other than the pictures I've seen here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/masterbuilt-electric-smokehouse-heating-element-upgrade-how-to I do own a hot tub. I bought a house that had a hottub built into the deck but the heater would instantly trip the GFCI breaker in the basement, so I was in a similar situation as you.

I found that using a small wire brush around the base of the terminals of the heater worked to remove the corrosion that was causing the short to ground. Judging by this guys photos, I bet you have tons of gunk built up on or near those terminals from previous smokes. Give it a good cleaning and metal brushing and see if that helps. Also keep in mind that if try to smoking when it was hot in the day then it's damp and cool at night, condensation can build up on the the heater terminals causing it to short next time you use it.
Mine terminals are still essentially "clean" as I have not done too many smokes since replacing the whole element, it just has got very freaking sensitive.

Zeno-25 posted:

Or you could just remove the GFCIs. drat things are a pain in the rear end anywhere outside of the bathroom anyway.
Yeah this is the better resolution.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Don't be sorry for delicious meat.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
I still have a shitload left from my last purchase.

TopHatGenius posted:

This stuff is sold out at every nearby Lowes near me already. God drat.

Home Depot generally has the same sale, hit them up.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Canuckistan posted:

Lately I've been aiming for more like high 190s or even 200. Works well.

Speaking of pulled pork, I just got a pair of these gloves. It makes scooping up the shoulders off the grill super easy, plus pulling the pork was never easier.

*You purchased this item on November 28, 2011.*

I agree.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What do you guys use to monitor the temp of your smoker and meat? I was looking at the Thermoworks ThermaQ options which seem nice but pricey. I was also thinking a wireless remote option would be nice to have but wasn't sure if any of them were worth a drat.

I have their previous model, with what they called their BBQ kit: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html

I use to have a Maverick, worked alright, just wanted something guaranteed to be more accurate, so I splurged for the ThermoWorks product.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Is there actual meat inside?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Vulture Culture posted:

The smoke ring is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the flavor.

THANK YOU!
Hate this debate, and have got in to it more times than I care to keep track of.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Plan on doing a larger bird than normal this year, think it is around 18#.

I have been reading mixed information about temps but it seems that there is a general agreement on one thing, start your cook at no less than 300 degrees and no more than 350 degrees, ideally go more towards the middle of the two, and that the internal temp of the bird should reach 140 within the first four hours to stay in the safe zone.

After reaching 140 you can back the temp off and roll however long it takes to reach 165 degrees at the breast, if I go by those guidelines I _should_ get this thing cooked in 5.5 ~ 6 hours I think.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

If you're state side, I am very happy with my Smokin-It model 1. That said you'd need a larger one than mine to do a whole turkey. Also temp maxes out at 250. Despite those limitations I love mine to death and it's study as hell.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I wish I could get a charcoal smoker, but electric is the only kind my apartment will let me use. Charcoal or gas would be a fire hazard. :(

As mentioned go with a MES (Masterbulilt Electric Smoker) or a Smokin-It, I have (though it really does not work any longer) a MES and it worked great for the many numerous years it was working, however if I was to get another one I would go with a Smokin-It, hear good things about that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I didn't see Smokin-It on Amazon. Got a link?

You are pretty bad with the internet if you can't find it on Amazon, it is literally shipped and sold by the manufacturer on Amazon.
Their company website is also the name of the company.