Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

um excuse me posted:

Sanity check: My pork butts have been in the smoker at 225°F with no crutch for 14 hours and they read 176°F. Keep going right?

Unless your goal is sliced pork, yes, keep going. You could always throw em in the oven at 300 or something at this point if you're getting anxious.

Edit: also, I assume they were right over the water pan when you had all the ribs on, did you move them up when the ribs were pulled? It is significantly cooler in my 22" on the lower grate - if you were measuring 225 on the upper grate you were probably around 200-210 on the lower.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Subjunctive posted:

Do people prefer to wrap with foil or unlined butcher paper?

I use butcher paper - I find it seems to be a good middle ground between foiled and unwrapped - it speeds the cook along but doesn't destroy the bark as much as foil or stew the meat.

edit: to clarify, I only really plan to crutch brisket, and occasionally wind up crutching pork butt depending on timing.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 30, 2020

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Enos Cabell posted:

Leave in the vacuum bag and reheat via sous vide is best IMO

This definitely is the best option. Works best for pulled pork, pretty decent for pork ribs, and is the best option I've found for brisket, but still leaves a lot to be desired. Just can't find a way to re-heat brisket that leaves it anywhere close to the day-of experience.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I should have been more clear about my hesitance to get a ceramic--I'm mostly concerned about the fragility in the context of the weight and price, since I'm planning on moving at least once, possibly long distance relatively soon. The other big thing is ergonomics, since as I understand you need to take everything out just to add charcoal, but if it comes back to temp quickly and holds it (and doesn't fluctuate 30-50F like the WSM) then this isn't as big of a deal. If anyone has an opinion on that I would love to hear it.

Budget isn't much of a concern for me, but if I'm paying out the rear end I would rather it be for something with the type of double-walled, quarter-inch thick stainless steel construction that future civilizations will find buried in the ruins of the impending nuclear holocaust and marvel at what its intended purpose might have been, as opposed to something that I'll wake up one morning and find cracked because it got a little cold too fast.

edit: I'm also willing to hear any methods of adding gaskets or whatever to the WSM so it doesn't leak so badly, and maybe some talking points to convince it to stop collecting gallons and gallons of rainwater so it can cosplay as a 100lb sludge tank.

I can't speak to the ceramics, but I have no complaints about my 22" WSM. Modified with the Cajun Bandit door, and gaskets on everything - holds great temps (+/-10 or so) and you can fit 3 whole racks of back ribs (barely depending on the pig) or two sparerib racks on each level. Sure, the ergonomics of adding charcoal aren't amazing, although some good welding gloves and you can just add charcoal by hand really easily - but it lasts about 8 hours on a full load at ~225, so I can't complain too much. I use a cover to keep the rain out, but I think you can just invert the middle section, and the joint arrangement flips to shed water rather than bring it into the smoker. Seriously though, just use a cover - they do the job.

I would love to have a huge steel beast of a smoker one day to spend hours tending a fire on and fussing over, but until then a WSM does a great job for a great price. Again, I have never used a ceramic, and the WSM will absolutely not double as a real grill, but if ceramics are turning you off and you don't want to drop entry-level Lang (or higher) money, just upgrade the size of your WSM and seal it up better.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

dangling pointer posted:

Anyone vacuum seal and freeze ribs and/or brisket? Do they both heat up nice? I’ve done it with chunks of pulled pork and it warms up nicely was going to try it with brisket and ribs next.

This is my preferred way to save smoked meats. Pulled pork works out the best, but ribs and brisket works out pretty well. I use an immersion circulator to heat them back up.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

hobbez posted:

Hello goon smokers! My dad got kind of into smoking last summer, buying his first smoker. I know having a decent thermometer is pretty key when you start getting into it, so I thought that might be a good Christmas gift. Any recommendations for a thermometer for a beginner-intermediate smoker of meats? Ideally keeping things under 100$

Thermoworks Smoke hands down if you want it (just barely) under $100. Can be found cheaper thoughout the year, but for this Christmas you are probably SOL on a sale.

e: There are definitely cheaper options that do the same thing, but in general they tend to crap out after a few years (based on lots of posts in this very thread), and thermoworks seem to keep on chugging and be higher quality overall. I would highly recommend going to the top of your budget to buy a quality device vs something cheaper.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 12, 2020

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

I grabbed a Billows and a controller, should I just get a Weber Smoky Mountain or would I be better off looking for something with an offset fire box or what?

I would vote for a WSM. I think for anything offset approaching the same level quality as a WSM, you are talking big bucks. My 22" WSM has been fantastic, and frankly holds temperature amazingly solidly without a blower.

Side question: What charcoal do folks use (I'll swear this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find it via search for the life of me). I'm looking to try something different than my standard Kingsford Blue, maybe something that produces a little less ash. Any suggestions?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Thanks everyone!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
My normal operation is a chimney sitting over the side-burner of my gas grill - but I can vouch that the little starter cubes (I have used the Weber Light Cubes) work pretty drat well also. I never have newspaper or anything else either.....

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Zarin posted:

Smoked my first item ever yesterday (pork butt); due to being a colossal dumbass, it didn't finish until 2:30am. Whoops.

Overall, it came out . . . decent. I spent most of the day doing research and now have a big checklist of things to do differently next time.

First big question: if I'm reheating via sous vide, what is the temp I want to shoot for? I think I do Pork Loin around 140ish, but I don't know if I want to aim for hotter than that - and if so, how much hotter.

yeah, 140 is good, that's what I reheat my pulled pork to.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bob A Feet posted:

My next door neighbor bought a traeger and knows I’m obsessed with smoking and wanted to show me what he was cooking this afternoon. I’m no expert, I just loving love smoking. I walked over to see the ribs he said he was cooking: cut individually during prep, floating in broth in a foil tray, on a smoker. Might as well have used the stove top bro 💀

:psyduck:

What? Why? Dear God why? Where would you ever get the idea to do this?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I cut my bacon into ~1/2" cubes and mixed it with onions, roasted garlic, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, and a modified clone of the T.G.I. Friday's Whiskey Glaze but with Jamaican rum instead of whiskey and real sugar Coke instead of water.

Then I stuffed that inside a whole pineapple and smoked it.

The fruits (:dadjoke:) of my labor so far:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/0IUwD1G.jpg[/tim]
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/xFlenfr.jpg[/tig]

After a little under 50 minutes of smoke I put some butter on it to keep it moist and wrapped it in foil. Now we're just waiting for the contents to come up to temp.
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/R799Dd8.jpg[/tig]
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/1TuvGYI.jpg[/tim]

I thought this was a Bird With Big Dick poo poo post in the Costco thread at first.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Thirded. Thermoworks makes great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, since I think this is also the defacto grilling thread (apologies if not) - I need a new gas grill.

I've had an ancient 20+ year Weber Genesis (propane) that is still trucking along just fine. I basically fully rebuilt it a few years back and it is working great, although the cast tub for the firebox is finally starting to rot on one side. Why I need a new gas grill is that we have finally had our yard fone up nice, and we ran a nat gas line to where the bbq and smokers will live so I can free myself from the tyranny of filling propane tanks.

I've had great luck with Weber. I grew up with Webers. I have this Genesis, a 22" kettle, and a 22" WSM. I love that you can easily get parts when things like burners finally burn through, etc. I've always thought they were pretty well built. My default would be to look at getting something from their summit line (honestly probably the newer grill center since I don't intend for this grill to need to move easily). Money isn't really a huge issue, but I'm not looking to spend $10k+ - but I will spend money for a grill that is well built and I won't regret a decade from now.

That said - is there any other brands I am not aware of I should be considering in the high end gas grill space? I really don't have any priors that aren't Weber, and want to make sure I'm not missing something better. Thanks!