Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Anyone playing Assetto Corsa? I've got 25 hours logged so far in this hotlap sim, and I am pretty bad at it! Check out my abysmal laptimes here.

The Joux Plane port from RBR is loads of fun, though I am pretty terrible at it. Hope Kunos' opposition to porting content doesn't stop people from doing it...

Here's a video I made of how the (disabled without messing with cfg's) AI acts currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3jcNrXDq-c

e: Seriously though the tire physics in AC are so good.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
My best lap at Silverstone International in the E30 Group A, 1:13.712 (only good enough for 88th place on RSR, where do those 5.5 seconds come from!?), using an xbox 360 controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BovTTmvkFAo

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

David Pratt posted:

Been doing a lot of laps with the M3 on Silverstone, really fun combo. Have you tried that car on Joux Plane yet?

Yeah, finally went the full distance up and down the other day. I lowered the grip on the surfaces on JP by about 3% as it felt a bit too grippy. I reaaaalllly hope people keep doing conversions of RBR tracks to AC, as I am way more interested in going full moron TOUGE TOUGE TOUGE than doing open wheel track racing. What site seems to be the most active for AC content? As of now I'm only paying attention to the official forum (where converted stuff is verboten) and VirtualR (slow).

Thanks for the pointers, I'm still gun shy about oversteering out of corners and getting dinged for going off-track (not really an issue now that I turned stability control back on [just until I get a wheel!]).

e: I haven't taken a video yet, but doing the German Fury event (Gold is easy-peasy) showed me how much fun racing the E92 Drift package is.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 15, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

AC update rules.

Lots of tweaks, new cars (BMW 1M, E30 DTM, another fuckin lotus), and AI.

You can enable AI in quick race mode (you should probably only use cars/tracks that are included in current AI special events, though I had a few others work) by modifying:
\assettocorsa\launcher\themes\default\modules\earlyaccess\earlyaccess.js to include
pre:
//"#drive .tabs li[data-mode=quickrace]",
on line 15

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_R_8jslfY

edit: I decided to take the E92 Drift out against some 1M's. :dukedog:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 19, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally got myself a DFGT. My DTM/Silverstone int. time is up 5 seconds from the 1:11.8 I whittled it down to with the 360 pad, but drat it's worth it. Turned off stability control, and am finally learning how to, well, drive these cars properly.

Had my dad, who does not play videogames (but has had a laundry list of cars over the years) try it out; after some wrangling to get his head around reading the cues from the game, he got pretty into it. His complaints about the setup (wheel way too small, brake pedal too soft, no clutch or real shifter other than the back and forth sequential, FOV being confined to one screen) would all solved by more $$$ (not happening for a long time).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah I should have said "his complaints are the same as mine."

If I get him to drive it enough I bet I can get him to help me build a stand, too!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
LOOK BEHIND GOT ME HYPE. I had to argue with a lot of jerks on the official forum about that, glad it came through.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

peter gabriel posted:

I haven't looked at Project CARS for a long time and I have to say I am blown away by what I am now seeing at their community gallery...

Check it out (oh god please be a good game!)

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-community-gallery-78/

Yeah, I might end up getting pCars when it comes out, because while AC may be the superior sim, I'm really jonesin for a GT/Forza type 'gotta collect em all' game...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That would definitely be called a rally, see events like the paris-dakar or baja rally.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I really, really, hope that someone releases tools or at least documentation on exporting maps to AC soon. Kunos has taken a stance against ported content (as they have to), but god drat do I need this in AC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uei4_3TSHu0

I installed rf1 to drive this and it is just nowhere near as fun as it should be. Even the FOV (and consequently sense of speed etc) seems weirdly off. The default view is comically wide and often so far down it would be eyes in my stomach if I sat in the seat; the next step is 35*, where I can barely tell what speed I'm going and have no feel for position (for the record I use 40* in AC now). I've been trying to find a car that handles well and also isn't broken, and the results haven't been heartening. So far, other than the excellent supra and nsx mods, which are still unsatisfying because of the engine, everything seems... well, kinda crappy.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I really wish AC had a weather and lighting engine as good as Pcars, but you can still do some cool things with the sun position and exposure.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally got RealFeel and LeoFFB working correctly in rfactor and went hog wild getting every hillclimb and touge road I could. You should not watch this video of my first time driving up the Transfargafegrafengan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN79FXksUVc

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Essobie posted:

I've had RealFeel mostly working for a while now, but I'm never quite satisfied with it. Install tutorials and tips and tricks on various forums throughout the Internet have a lot of differing methods for setting stuff up, so I'm curious how you went about getting everything working on your end. Where did you download the plugin(s) from? Do you have to set up every car (or class of car) separately like I am currently? What settings do you typically use?

It's still totally dependent on the car you use it with being not terrible, but I used this guide: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/614-rFactor-Better-FFB-Tutorial
I haven't gotten any other cars to feel as good as the RX-7 though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I have 3 different installs of it right now so that stuff won't break. :suicide:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Finally got a webcam and set up FaceTrackNOIR, takes a bit of setup, but it is great, much better sense of speed and immersion.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Das Butterbrot posted:

(and add the Nürburgring sometime. If I can only have 1 track in my racing games, that's the one.)

The Nerdburgring GP was in today's update, though the Nordschleife will be in the 'Dream Pack' DLC to be released after 1.0 for an undetermined price, along with 10 cars (no confirmed cars, but almost certainly including the Nissan GT-R in street and GT versions).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. I would really love a well done 4/AWD system in AC, though I doubt we'll ever get an evo of decent quality. :allears:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Kunos posted:

As you have probably noticed, since the beginning Assetto Corsa was primarily centered on European content. There are several contributing factors as to why this is, first of which is location of Kunos Simulazioni R&D; having been working on this project in the past four years with limited resources and budget it was easier for our development team to access the cars and tracks found near the studio.
Despite the current European focus of Assetto Corsa we are suprised to see that a big part of early access sales has come from the U.S.A. Thank you so much for your support!

Well, we have decided to thank all the American people (and all of our patrons) for the great support they have shown our game with a new exciting license addition: Assetto Corsa welcomes the Corvette! The new amazing C7 Stingray 2014 will be added to Assetto Corsa as a free content, and the incredible and beautiful Corvette C.7 race car will be part of the Dream Pack that will include ten cars and the legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife! We will keep you updated with the work in progress on these new exciting car models: ciao America!

Not my first choice for an American car, but more is better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, the dream pack is paid DLC, no price announced as of yet, but I bet %60+ of their customers will buy it no matter what.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I still haven't been able to beat my 360-controller/stability-controlled DTM/Silverstone-int record (1:11.891) with my DFGT/no-aids, in fact I never did better than 1:13.8 with the wheel before deciding I would just never drive that combo again.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Drunk Badger posted:

The difference there appears to be the aids. Try them with equal settings and see what happens.

After spending the time to get comfortable without it when I switched to the wheel, when I turn it on again I do even worse. The difference is mostly mindset, I'm more careful now, whereas before I was going 10/10 every lap and mashing lock to lock with the stability control. I could probably get faster times if I turned a few aids on and practiced with them, but it'd feel like cheating.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fayez Butts posted:

Update 0.7.5 came out for Assetto Corsa today with the Pagani Huayra. It's pretty insane, my G27 cannot come soon enough.

Hah, it was easily the most disappointing update yet for me. I don't care about supercars...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
AC Update 0.8 came out today:
pre:
- Lotus Exige 240
 - Ferrari 312T F1
 - Revised AI behavior
 - Collisions performance improvements
 - New sky box with clouds
 - Fixed gui issue with spinner
 - Improved x360 controller support at low speed
 - Fixed gearshift sound on BMW M3 e92 Drift
 - Improved rearview mirrors & added more rendering options in the launcher
 - Default launcher theme: opponent skins are randomized from all available skins
 - Default launcher theme: opponent setups are now set on a per-track basis
 - Launcher: control configuration’s Xbox360 section revised
 - Fixed end race chart display bug
Very happy with it, the 312t is amazing, the new clouds really make things look better, and the AI is better if not perfect (they are a little more respectful, but I still got pushed a fair few times).

This car, you guys, it's a powerslide machine.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 29, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It is a Sim with a capital S, physics-wise (my wheel came with GT5 and it is clown shoes in comparison) but currently doesn't have tire wear (only temp) or things like ignition and engine failures (except due to improper shifting, dropping two gears at full throttle will kill most of the engines in the game).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Whoops, forgot to say that it still doesn't have multiplayer and probably won't till 1.0.

Video I recorded a bit ago doing the JP hillclimb in the T125, going to have to try the 312t there tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEfVe6So3xc

CaseFace McGee posted:

I disagree - it is a pretty solid sim, certainly more of a sim than LFS for example, but it feels a little bit arcadey for me in comparison to rF2. It's really easy to save a bad slide or overdrive the car without much consequence.

I'm gonna download the rF2 demo again and hope that compares, just to see the difference. On the other end of the spectrum, I reinstalled Shift 2 lol so I could mod in some cars. It was somehow more of a pain than rfactor modding. A lot more.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

CactusWeasle posted:

FYI, the demo content of Lime Rock and the Corvette isnt a great combination. I feel the Corvette is one of the weakest cars ISI has made. Also, the out of box setup is JUNK and the car is practically undriveable. Look for a setup on the ISI forums for it, or if you're stuck I might have a halfway decent setup.

I installed a setup I found on the web and it made the vette driveable, but overall everything feels and looks like rF 1.5, you know? Everything seems pretty solid, but just feels dated already. I found there was no middleground between perfect grip and unsaveable spin, partially because it seems that there is not a lot of useful ffb there, partially because I couldn't seem to oversteer the stupid-powerful-RWD car for some reason, only spinning off grass. If it ever goes on sale I might pick it up to try out some better car/track combos, however.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miEQOt-XhBU

Lap 1 of the Track Day challenge in AC, medium (95%) CPU difficulty. It's kind of a weird special event (new in .8), as the X-Bow is just kind of faster than the rest of the field, at least in the corners. Anyway, this video features a set of broadcast tv cameras someone put together and a bunch of unsafe passing (no contact though). There are 4 more laps, but they're pretty uninteresting as I just widen the gap.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

CaseFace McGee posted:

:siren: Assetto Corsa multiplayer next Friday :siren:

Been waiting for that for a long time.

Yuuuuup, also someone released a blender plugin to output tracks to the right format. So far the only thing done with it is a half-done top gear test-track, and the official mod tools will come with 1.0, but hey, stuff's happening!!!

e: I tried out the new rF2 demo, and the civic is much better than the vette. Physics-wise, it seemed... too easy? Oversteer kinda snapped itself back in on its own.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 24, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Some original track WIP's are available on the AC forums now, including the one I am having fun sliding around in the above shot (Doriftu Mountain 0.1): http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/dorifto-mountain-release-0-1.9117

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
@KunosStefano · 8m
Sorry about that.So much work on multi and I broke the single player :( Need another round of test,we wont release today but later this week

:haw:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SanitysEdge posted:

Everyone else, check out RaceDepartment. there is a guy, aspec7878, that is converting tracks to Assetto Corsa, so far he has Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, and Phillip Island converted: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/ac-tracks.8/

Oh hell yes. Laguna is my #1 most wanted circuit for AC. I still hold out hope for a Kunos laser-scanned version, but this is still christmas for me. Thanks for the heads-up.
e: That Laguna is bumpy as gently caress, like, way too bumpy.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 3, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The half-assed rFactor-to-AC ports continue! I spent about two hours driving Glava Zete in an F40 today, and somehow this is the best run I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGgs5aJfAo

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

GutBomb posted:

What about the conversions is half-assed? I'm asking honestly, I've never tried either s but AC looks pretty promising and if it's expandable I'm curious about its strengths and shortcomings.

Well, a lot of people are skipping the whole asking permission part, and there is a lot of refinement that could be done when bringing these old tracks to games a decade more advanced. The tracks have a lot of bumps that were less pronounced in rF, but are super jarring in AC. I don't know a lot about 3d modeling and such, but my impression is that by adding some additional points to the bumps (say, 3 points making a more gradual rise rather than the existing 1, which creates a raised triangle) they would be smoother. Glava zete works pretty well as-is, an Joux Plane is great, but Kegetys, the guy who ported it, has fixed a few things along the way.
I guess it's less half-assed conversion than straight conversion not being quite enough sometimes.

e: Screenshot of AC's X-bow with the ring around it from someone working on porting the 2007 Nords from rF to AC, before scaling it up:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 4, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

smelly cabin filter posted:

I'm realy liking AC but I seem to lack the conentration to string more than 3 clean laps together sometimes, although I am using the controller with minimal assists (I think just auto throttle blip)

How do you install mods on AC?

At the moment, just copy the files into the proper folder of your install (eg: for a track, \SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\tracks).

So, that Nords conversion is coming along. Very bumpy (I know the real thing is, but this is something else), and, uh, interesting looking:

I haven't completed a lap yet, but I did flip over the barrier in the Exos and go for an open-wheel off-road adventure.

If anything, it just solidifies my resolve to buy the laser-scanned version Kunos is putting out in september.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

boondocksts posted:

Are all the new tracks being posted to the AC forums, or is there somewhere else too?

Only explicitly authorized conversions of wholly user-created mods can be posted on the official AC forums, unauthorized conversions of mods (Willow Springs) or rips from other games (Joux Plane, from RBR) are verboten. RaceDepartment has a decent selection and is being updated frequently, though once the game reaches 1.0 and official mod tools are released I hope someone starts a dedicated site.

e: The nords conversion tree problem has been fixed and someone has released Zolder!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ringo Star Get posted:

You can pay soooo much less for an actual steering wheel and rig it up yourself.

Definitely considering doing this with my G27 (yes I bought the one posted in this thread :haw: ) in the future... as well as modding the pedals to be further apart/maybe mounted upside down... and maybe putting a gate and new knob on the shifter. :riker:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
btw, if anyone is having trouble loading modded tracks post-update

quote:

check the AC intallation folder/system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini for the following line
WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS=1

change the 1 to a zero

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I have yet to race in AC mp because of a lack of us servers and the fact that you can't join during practice time. Instead I've been driving the ring and teaching myself to heel-toe, and then practicing the joux plane downhill in anticipation of touge grudge matches...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
IT LIVES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69L12Lg0NE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Finally got a chance to try MP in AC tonight. A lot of annoyances in the interface and booking system, but the netcode seems alright, and I was able to drive joux plane with two other people for an hour. :hellyeah:

• Locked thread