Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so Asetto Corsa plays really nicely on the PS4 gamepad. It's scratching that itch that Forza 5 should've done and for much cheaper. Is there an expected release date for the game itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there a steering lock adjustment for the cars anywhere? Assetto Corsa plays mostly fine on a gamepad, but oversteering the tires beyond their useful radius is a problem for me anyway.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Popete posted:

Has anyone had luck getting a PS4 controller to work on Asseto Corsa? I used DS4 Tool and the game recognized my input at the control setup, but when I go to race I get no response.

Yea, I have. Go back to the options for controls and ensure you leave it selected on the xbox360 option. I've been using x360ce with no issues.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Really excited to bomb this next quarter of school because of Project CARS.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I said come in! posted:

Can I use an Xbox One controller for Assetto Corsa? I've tried my Dual Shock 4 controller and couldn't get it to work with AC, so I maybe want to try buying an Xbone controller.

Yes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I said come in! posted:

How well does it play? I'm use to playing console racing sims. I'm not looking for anything serious, I just wanna drive around tracks in time trial.

It plays like Forza without the dampening effects. So yea it's totally possible to rave and hot lap, but having a delicate touch to counter steer is needed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GutBomb posted:

I use an xbone controller with one of those fpsfreek stick extender that makes the stick double it's normal height and that really helps.

I use the ones that are slightly shorter. They are a tremendous help, yea. I'd play AC more if the UI actually supported controllers. As it is, it's a pain in the rear end to set up a race only to get up to change anything.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helicon One posted:

Grid Autosport is 75% off on Steam.

If I already have Assetto Corsa and iRacing would I gain anything from adding this to my Steam haul?

A very competent racing game. Worth it at that price.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Torabi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent, not too expensive, wheel stands? Been looking around a bit myself as well but it would be nice to get some recommendations. I have a G27 by the way. (Finally)

Wheelstand Pro

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helicon One posted:

Is the Wheelstand Pro sturdy enough? Putting the wheel on top of a single long pole like that looks like it would wobble all over the place but if not I'll look at adding it to the list of things to buy when I get my new PC.

You can easily bludgeon someone to death with it. It's fine.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

I'd like more tracks more than anything really. Things like night time and weather are just graphics fluff that takes a lot of time to get right, so I can appreciate them leaving those features until later to focus on more important things, like AWD and AI.

Night racing and weather are the exact opposite of graphics fluff. Those have a serious impact on racing.

I've finally gotten my dual shock 4 to work perfectly with AC using the trackpad as the mouse. The game is incredible on a 65" HDTV.

And I downloaded a Porsche GT3 cup car. Ugh so good. The wait till pCARS is much easier now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

Well actually you can already download night tracks or tracks with low traction from weather (i.e. snow), what makes them not ideal is that there's no extensive graphics systems to back them up and make them beleivable, like I don't think headlights even work yet. I get what you mean in that different conditions means different racing, but the biggest purpose of adding those kind of features would be to ooo and ahh at how the cars look with their headlights or how the wet tarmac reflects light. Neither of the features really affect the actual driving, except I guess some dynamic drying tarmac system or something, which I think is what they want to do eventually.

I guess I'm biased because I just like hotlapping old sports cars around old touge tracks on sunny days and AC already has that in spades. :shrug:

Weather is measurably more complex than a grip modifier. Yea, a weather system and dynamic lighting is visually appealing, but the effects of both carry tremendous impact.

There's a reason these systems are clamored for. They're critical to a simulation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cojawfee posted:

You might want them, but how many servers will there be with torrential downpours? Once the novelty wears off, people will want to race with optimal conditions.

Then go race with those conditions. Night and rain are a big deal especially if they're dynamic.

Here's the thing, if the AC devs have the time and money to do it that's great. If not, cool. I understand the complexity of building those systems. It's not an over night thing but neither is building new tracks.

That being said, I'd love to see Road Atlanta, Willow, and Laguna Seca.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 31, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you dudes in on PCARS? I'm curious if the developers are actually finishing up the game to make the March release. We're two months out and there hasn't been much of an advertising push for it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Because difficult=real. Same poo poo with flight sims.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If racing sims have taught me anything it's that a GT3 car has higher limits but when they're exceeded the car goes. There's not much room for error correction.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Debating over what's more sim than the other seems moot. Both are running some very high level physics.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is where it's at for me. AC, while a great sim, is narrow in scope. Not that it's baffling. Kunos is a small developer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Assetto Corsa doesn't have rolling starts? Seems like a really odd omission.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This is slightly off topic. I'm curious about the difference in qualifying lap times versus race lap times. Is there a site that has info regarding those?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

pik_d posted:

It depends on what you're talking about, I guess. Are you talking about the actual times themselves and how they compare, or are you looking for "how does the driver drive differently"? And also do you mean in video games, or in real life?

Yea race pace in real life.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
poo poo that's wild.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What book were you guys recommending regarding driving technique stuff?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Copy ordered. Thanks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EvilJoven posted:

Haha owned Manitobans can't drive for poo poo, enjoy your worthless book.

I'm not from, nor have ever been to, Manitoba.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Project CARS looks so loving promising. So much flexibility without needing to grind for cash or unlocks. That owns. The ps4 version is catching poo poo for not being a graphical tour de force like Driveclub. Still looks great though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Visual tradeoffs for dynamic lighting and weather is alright with me. Forza feels lifeless.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nerdrock posted:

There's been talk of Driveclub a bit. I know it's not a PC Sim, but as a fresh PS4 owner since christmas, can anyone tell me if it's worth picking up, at all? Sometimes a racer that's not a sperg-caliber sim is nice brain candy.

Yes. It's an extremely competent racing game.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

nthalp posted:

I dont suppose you can use a g27 on ps4 can you?

Sorry nope. Sony changed how hardware works by requiring an actual chip for peripherals to connect. It's very unlikely that they'll mod old gen stuff to work.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I said come in! posted:

Everything seems to pretty much be in place now and it's just bug fixes left.

What's the car list looking like? Specifically for GT3 vehicles.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Raceroom is really cool. Been putting a few hours into it. I really like it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Raceroom feels really nice on a PS4 controller. There was a graphics option that absolutely tanked my frame rate. Took me a while to figure out it was the car reflections setting.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Race room is good? I thought it was bad and berift of any quality.

Try it yourself. I liked it enough to buy a few cars and a track pack.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alright I've put in a few more hours into Raceroom. I've driven mostly the McLaren 12C GT3 and the GTR GT3 on Brands Hatch using a PS4 controller. I think it plays better than Assetto Corsa. The cars are a touch more predictable when they're kept in line and when poo poo goes wrong, it's pretty obvious why. That's not to say it's easy. I'm getting close to stringing a good lap together with the GTR. The car is a monster that'll put you into the wall for a slight mistake.

Anyway, Raceroom runs at a locked 60 with everything cranked up (minus car reflections--seems bugged) on an i5-4690K and a GTX 970. Controls are extremely configurable on the gamepad. Really happy with it so far. I don't think I'll be touching AC for a while. I'll give the AI a go later on in the week. I mostly stick with time trials.

edit: Oh, the sound is incredible.

bloops fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I said come in! posted:

The sim racing community is a bunch of assholes is what you wanted to say. I'll never understand this desire to be a warrior for one sim and one sim only.

The sim community is general is very clique-ish. But yea PCARS is generating an abnormal about of criticism for whatever reason. Like it would kill these guys to have high hopes on a game that's been played regularly for years now. PCARS isn't exactly an unknown quantity.

• Locked thread