Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Live For Speed could be fried sex but it's dead in all meaningful ways. They haven't released a proper update since July 2008 and a car they announced for "Next week" in December 2008 STILL hasn't been released. The website gets a "Yeah we're still alive but here's gently caress all" update every 6 months, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

drunkill posted:

I'm not a racing sim type of person at all, but just letting you all know of an upcoming project. Kartsim.

I knew the guys making it (they were my teachers a few years back) and back then they had just switched to the Unity3d engine. They are having an open alpha/beta soon with one or two tracks and plan on having a bunch more things in the future.

http://www.kartsim.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ZqEUe_8YA

Any idea when "soon" might actually be, they've promised it "next week" about 5 times now, including months ago.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Helicon One posted:

Did either of the West Brothers or anyone else in the know ever come out and talk about what happened with Racing Legends? Its pretty obvious we're never going to see anything released from it (its now 8 and a half years since the last update on the homepage), but wrapping up the whole sorry tale from their perspective would probably be interesting to read.

Yeah it's a shame neither of them ever bothered to log on and at least post "Yeah, ain't happening".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So, I've done a lot of racing in iRacing, I've been playing a lot of Project Cars which actually feels better (which may not be realistic) to me. I was less enamoured with rFactor 1. Before that I was a GPL and Indycar Racing nut.

Should I buy rFactor 2?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Awesome, yeah feedback was the worst thing, both tyres and wheel.

It's actually the worst thing about iRacing, at max strength the FF is barely noticeable.

got to be worth 40 US fuckbucks anyway. Cheers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, I'm willing to give CARS a pass on most things but actually I think it's already better than iRacing in that regard. I can't entirely speak for realism (the karts I race are much slower than the ones in Project Cars), PCars "feels" more right a lot of the time than literally anything else ever.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, totally, all I've got to go is I have driven decent length races (was part of a 24hr team last year) in some kind of machinery and extrapolating up.

Tracks are one thing iRacing does seem to have rather nailed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

An Enormous Boner posted:

The Historic update includes the Brabham BT20, which is great fun. I don't know where exactly it falls in terms of power. I'd say closest to the F2 cars. It slides all over the place, but it's easy to control and recover.

That'd be about right, the BT20 is a first gen 3l F1 car. It's basically what everyone else had when Lotus and Ford turned up with te famous 49 (see Grand pix legends and project cars) and cunted everyone in the face.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Billy the Mountain posted:

just signed a deal with the BTTC for 5 new tracks in their series, recently announced the RUF Porsche, and a BTTC Honda as well.

At the risk of being picky, the deal is not with the BTCC but with MSV (the track owners), Team Dynamics and BARC and only 3 of the tracks in the recent deal are BTCC tracks. That said, the only one they're now missing is Rockingham (and the new layout at Silverstone).

All good though.

All I'd really like with iRacing is for them to fix that the force feedback is so astonishingly weak for some reason compared to say, Project CARS.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bless em, not surprised though, they've never quite grasped "Multi class".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well that was the layout used for all the practices so if it was wrong someone should have said a lot earlier.

I prefer it without the inner loop anyway, it's an ugly pointless bus stop in a world where people can't kill themselves by making a mistake at the next corner and removing it creates one of the most challenging and fun braking zones there is.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

For a supposedly niche genre, we've really got a fuckload of choice haven't we? It's loving brilliant.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Trouble is the GTR2 on Steam is badly cut, missing all the Ferraris.

Race 07 is pretty good as a drive. It's horrible as a racer.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I gave iRacing a try on the free Cadillac demo, I don't know if it's just certain cars but the physics feel really screwy a lot of times. I had a blast racing the Miata and Solstice, but then I gave the CTS-V race car and Skip Barber formula thing (that I drunk purchased for some reason) a try and they both feel like I'm driving an overpowered FWD car or something, like extremely loose while coasting and then stabilize when I step on the gas. Are all of the faster cars like that? I don't know if I'm just driving the game wrong but it's disappointing that the fast cars drive so weird.

To be fair, I've driven some reasonably fast karts and that's exactly how they behave. That said I can't drive the CTS-V at all.

quote:

Also the oval races are hilarious, it's like some kind of stock car thunderdome. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the replays of people running off the track then doing donuts trying to get back on and taking out packs of cars, I've never seen anything like it even playing Forza where there are intentional wrecks all the time.

Well this is where the licence system helps out, they don't tend to get past rookie.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I've not played LFS in a very long time but when I did, it was with my DF-GT and I don't remember having a problem.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Also worth noting Codemasters have only shown us one of the classic cars and it's the least interesting Williams of the entire 1980s, the 1988 Williams-Judd as opposed to any of the championship winning Fords and Hondas of that decade or even the first Williams-Renault.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

There's plenty of good PC sims, what there isn't is anything even a little bit like Forza or Gran Turismo in terms of car collection and game progression.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nition posted:

I've been playing Assetto Corsa as well and the feel of it is great, although I'm no racing sim expert.

If I have a negative comment it's that there's one thing that happens with a lot of racing games, and flight sims are even worse at this: The in-car view tends to have your actual view out the window be about 1/3 of the screen. In Assetto Corsa some cars are much worse at it than others. I can change the FOV lower and it gets better vertically, but then obviously I can't see so much out to the side. I kinda wish there was an option to move your view closer to the windscreen, not just to change your viewing lens.

Of course there's the bonnet cam, but that's not really what I want.

loving yes. I do not drive a real car from the back seat damnit!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nah, the recent Nascar games are not really even attempting sims.

That said, given you can probably get last years for like, no money, it's probably worth you picking up any of the Eutechnyx developed ones and taking a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Helicon One posted:

RIP Simbin :(

Although one of the guys who works there has posted in the comments section to say there is some sort of post-Simbin studio in the works, I guess we'll have to see what this means in the long run.

To be fair, SimBin's largely been dead since SMS split from them. Raceroom is dire and GTR3 we've had no news on forever.

Hopefully new management and a new studio will result in good things.

• Locked thread