Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

An Enormous Boner posted:

I dare anyone to set the brake pressure to 85% in the Meganes in RF2 and tell me that isn't as good as racing sims have ever played.
I'll give that a whirl. I really need to upgrade my computer for RF2 and Assetto Corsa though, as I built my PC in 2008. :v:

By the way, here's a thread for the simpit build I've been working on! Link

Latest update shows me getting a FREX Shift+ sequential shifter and have rewired it to work directly to my Fanatec wheel, which allows me to a) use it on Xbox 360 and b) Frees up one USB slot for rfactor/GTR Evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The Frex shifter is fantastic. The resistance is so solid that I was missing shifts due to not giving a good amount of force. Very good shifter in general.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

You've got me thinking now...

Did you order straight from their site? Looks like the Shift+ is about €160 with the USB board (this is kind of scaring me, i thought it would be a USB cable and off you go)

Is it loud to use? I like to race late at night.

I'm very tempted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-x4J2Nn4s
That will give you an idea of the volume levels. To be honest, probably quieter than the clubsport pedals are. Don't be scared by the USB board. It's got crimping blocks on it, so the wiring goes into the corresponding holes, and then you tighten some screws... no harder to wire than a surround sound speaker. The reason this board exists is because if you get the FREX handbrake, it wires up to that too, which would eliminate a USB device. Of course, as I wired up the FREX to a PS/2 cable in the same manner as a Fanatec sequential shifter, the FREX shifter is merely 2 more button assignments on the Fanatec wheel.

I'm pretty sure that people have used the existing wiring for the Driving Force Pro/Driving Force GT to replace the stock sequential shifter for a Frex Shift+

I'll also be using a 3rd party shifter adapter so that I can use a Thrustmaster TH8RS with my Xbox 360 (and again, eliminate a USB device). I was going to wait for the Clubsport shifter, but frankly I think that we'll be waiting a good long while for it as they're focusing purely on the Clubsport Pedals V2, as well as extra wheel rims for the Clubsport Wheel.

e: When I finally find some crimping tubes, I'll be doing a brief guide on how to wire a Frex shifter to link direct to Fanatec wheels.

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 26, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

FREX takes up the least footprint, as the entire shifter mechanism is at the very end of the shifter, whilst the DSD shifter has a good inch or so of casing south of the handle.

In other words, it's much easier to integrate the FREX into a build, especially if like me you have your sequential shifter up near the wheel, and a H pattern down where you'd have one on a real car. With the DSD shifter, you'd probably end up smashing your hand off the casing when reaching down to shift.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'm having trouble with rFactor 2. I cannot install Megane cup, Formula Masters or the GT class. It seems to be telling me that Malaysia and Oban park(?) is missing? Is there a trackpack I'm missing out on?

Also, I'm finding the controls VERY floaty in rF2 compared to the likes of RF, Race 07/GTR Evo and iRacing. I just do not feel connected to either the classic GP cars or the Renault world series open wheelers.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'll give that a shot.

I really cannot wait until Laguna Seca is in rF2. I fell in love with that track way back in Gran Turismo 2, and just cannot get enough of it. Great fun to drive pretty much any car around it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

I just ordered a Frex Shift+. At least i think i have. They sent me a mail saying they will contact me for payment, so who knows what that means.
You'll get the message eventually.

Be prepared for a lead time though. I ordered mine on the 1st of May, and recieved the payment request on the 9th, also letting me know that they were assembling a batch of shifters, and then it was shipped away on the 12th. It then took a further 10 days for it to get to me as HM Customs held onto it for a week.

Not too bad all in all. I'm glad I ordered mine. :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

I reckon i will still have it before i have a Clubsport Wheel :argh:
Yeah, haha. I would really like to have a Clubsport shifter, but I think I'll have grandkids by the time that one's out.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I've not tried it yet. Looks interesting, so I'll give it a shot.

Definetely going to have to start up iRacing again now that I have a good wheel and pedals.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Wow, the GT World Endurance series cars seem to have absolutely no grip at all.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Hmm. What Degrees of rotation are you using on your wheel?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Brownie posted:

Not a racing sim, but super promising for the future of damage modeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg
Looks like nicely modelled drivetrain inertia too. I imagine this would come into it's own so we could see stuff like this when using slow motion mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETaqRvlK60

All those aero elements wobbling under stress. :3:

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 29, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, this certainly was a crash. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qmXLSXavI

One in a million?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'm going to be slowly upgrading my PC for rFactor 2, C.A.R.S., Assetto Corsa etc.

Right now I'm running a C2D 8600, Nvidia GTX280 and 4GB of ram. I'm probably going to throw in a GTX560 this month, and then look into upgrading the rest of the system the next month.

Sound like a good idea?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, rFactor 2 and CARS run "ok", with framerate stutters.

When are we expecting rF2?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Dudley posted:

So, I've done a lot of racing in iRacing, I've been playing a lot of Project Cars which actually feels better (which may not be realistic) to me. I was less enamoured with rFactor 1. Before that I was a GPL and Indycar Racing nut.

Should I buy rFactor 2?
rFactor 2 actually has feeling in the tires unlike rFactor 1. I'd give it a shot.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Anyone here play Race 07 / GTR Evolution / Race Injection etc on steam? If yes, add me on steam. My name is "Hkfalken" Would be cool to race with you guys.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Hkfalken as it says in the previous post. :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I really like the force feedback in Forza. It's not exaggerated like how some PC sims are, it just feels... right. I just wish the sim was more in depth with stuff like flag rules, qualifying, warmup laps, full control of car during pitstop, pitlane more alive (Although GT4/5 does the best job out of all PC sims with it's animated stops)

Forza is still great fun for me to just drive with though. It loses alot when I start racing against people without all the extra stuff.

Speaking of extra stuff, I just got a Leo Bodnar SLI-Pro. This thing is amazing, and I can pretty much turn 90% of my HUD off as it's all there behind my wheel! :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, I got my DSD toys. :) Going to make extra holes in the SLI pro tab so it sits lower on the CSR Elite, and maybe use spacers to bring it out from the wheel base.

Also, still trying to figure out what I want the rightmost switch to do. I can't think of any other adjustable car bits...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The switch on mine is quite robust, and it will only shift if you mean it. Also, as I've wired mine to my CSR Elite it's essentially just reading it as 2 button inputs through the wheel. I've not had the same issue with the shifting.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Triple20 posted:

The Simbin/RaceRoom people released RaceRoom The Game 2 back in May. It's a free-with-registration, ad-supported, 1.1GB download. There are hot lap competitions every week or so to win copies of Race07.

Right now it has the following tracks:
Imola
Laguna Seca
Nuerburgring GP
Hockenheim GP
Hockenheim Nat'l
Hockenheim Short

And the following cars:
BMW 320si E90
Radical SR3
Matech GT1
Chevy Camaro
Some Formula 1 Car

It supported my G27 (and had a lot of profiles for other wheels listed under controls) and runs fine on my pretty old laptop, but I don't know good physics from bad physics. It plays a lot like Race07 and doesn't have any meaningful multiplayer, but it's a nice free thing you can try if you're interested in sim racing but don't want to spend any money.
It uses the same engine as the Race 07/GTR Evolution series, and the content should integrate into your race 07 setup. The physics seem pretty solid for the series.

Also the AIDS button brings up the window with the list of driver aids in rfactor. Though I rarely use any of them so I'll probably shunt that entire line along and change the first in the row for the pit speed limiter or starter.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Opposite lock?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Largepotato posted:

iracing once again prove their professionalism by starting the Prototypes behind the Cadillacs in the latest world event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMEbHagup4&hd=1
Weren't the ISR guys really stoked for this race?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Renault Clio Cup 1.0 for Rfactor 2 released

Shame I can't drive it. Fanatec have had my CSR Elite since the 23rd of June. :negative:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

For some reason the Formula Masters don't actually have wet tires? I tried a wet drive in Malaysia with the wet tires selected. They appeared to be slicks with a very faint tread pattern texture.

The tires behaved as slicks would: IE No chance of any kind of throttle.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, I'm otherwise enjoying the beta so far but I do have some issues at this time.

- Rear flap / DRS needs to be a hold button, not toggle. It's a pain to toggle the DRS on and off, and would be much more convenient to just hold a button down that's near the handgrips of the wheel.

- Formula 3.5s have really bad engine sound, holy drat.

- Grip just seems to disappear very suddenly with the 3.5s and Masters. They just don't feel that confidence inducing even after many practice laps.

- Steering wheel seems to lose it's center in game after a bunch of laps by a few degrees, but shows that the wheel is OK in both Fanatec application and other sims. Kind of annoying but eh.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

tehsid posted:

So I tried the F1 2012 demo today, as it just dropped in Steam along with preorders and while it doesn't feel like a massive change from the last two years, it does feel different in the steering. I haven't put a lot of time into it and I was playing on a 360 pad, I can't pick what about it feels different. I think it feels a bit twitchy. Dunno. It might be nothing. It looks nice though.
It feels wooden as gently caress with my Fanatec.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Some people like the actual wheel/FFB part of the DFGT more than they like the G27. It's true, though, the shifters and pedals are pretty lovely, but they definitely get the job done and can be used competitively with no problems.
Yeah, I owned a G25, and then a DF Pro and preferred the feel of the DFP's FFB and wheel. The wheel is not very chunky on the G25/7, plus it's nice to have lots of buttons on the wheel. Pedals aren't great on the Driving force wheels, but are passable. At least with PC use you could get a set of second hand Clubsport pedals as they would wire up to the computer independetly to the wheel itself.

As far as the paddles go, there is kits on ebay to improve upon them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Floppy-Paddle-Shifters-for-Logitech-Driving-Force-GT-/121032689131?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1c2e1c45eb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStati...=item27cd64b83c

^^^ That one looks cool as hell. If I had a DF GT I'd buy that one for sure ^^^

I said come in! posted:

I dream of the day we can get a sim that captures the 24 hours of Nurburgring with 200 cars on track.
There's a mod for rfactor which covered the 24hr Nurburgring with pretty much all the cars that took part in that year.

Falken fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 8, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

Going from G25 pedals to Clubsport V1 pedals was probably the most dramatic change
For GT cars, the Frex Shift+ is just wonderful. When it arrived, I clamped it to my desk and played with it thinking 'ive bought a 200E switch', but after a couple of weeks using it I couldnt live without it now. There are other models available for sequential shifters to suit any preference.
I'm glad you're happy with your Frex Shift+ You seemed a little disappointed with it when you first recieved it.

When I'm driving a modern formula car, I'm actually sad because I can't really use my Frex.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought the CSPs had a foam spring for the initial brake pedal travel and then the loadcell, who actually registers the pressure applied to it?
Yes, the foam can be replaced with different stiffness pieces, as well as a different metal spacer for varying travel.

There is still an actual spring on the pedal though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I have never seen FWDs look as realistic as that, good job!

Can't wait to make videos for it!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Didn't a McLaren MP4-4 cost like 40 dollars?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The Capri and also stuff like the Gumpert Apollo and BAC Mono.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Haha, I sent my CSR Elite back for repairs due to a faulty codewheel sensor, and it's been damaged in shipping. The rim is bent and the Y button doesn't work. :negative:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Whilst I've been waiting for my replacement CSR Elite to show up, I've been driving the BMW Z4 GT3 around in pCARS. That is one hell of a fun car to drive.

Also, thinking about ordering the CSR Elite formula rim.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I am so close to getting Asseto Corsa... it looks really good.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, now I've gone and paid up for my early access.

What cars are available right now? I'm seeing alot of pretty pretty cars on offer in the steam screenshots, such as an F40 and 1970s Ferrari F1 car.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

One thing I'm glad they included (and enabled by default) is a camera mode that keeps your eyes level with the horizon. It's something that is in iRacing configs and can be modded in to rF and rF2, and it's great. Almost all other first person cameras make the mistake of anchoring the driver's view to the headrest, which is not ideal... it means your brain has to work overdrive trying to maintain a sense of where the car is actually headed against all the bouncing. This kind of camera still gives you all the bounce and stuff, but it's the car moving around and with the driver instead of having it all lumped together.
Yeah, I noticed this too. Just blasted around Imola a couple times round in the BMW M3 GT2 car and I have fallen in love already.

e: Way too much fun can be had by Scandinavian-flicking the E30 around Silverstone.

e2: Not that it's bothering me, but good luck if you use hood cam on a white car as the HUD gets drowned out entirely. Also, the Lotus Exige does not ever want to drive in a straight line.

So far the most fun cars for me from best to worst: E30 M3 > E92 M3 > Lotus 49 > Junior Formula thingy.

Falken fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Thank you Assetto Corsa for introducing me to Autodromo Valleunga. Really fun circuit, much more entertaining than Imola. Down to a 1:38.520 in the Tatuus Formula Abarth.

• Locked thread