Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CARS is the one i'm looking forward to the most. I've been following the game since the first alpha went public and the progress has been really great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I updated my OP for Project CARS; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442852

In my opinion, from what i've been playing and seen so far, this is shaping up to be the definitive PC racing sim. The fact that the developers will only put content in that players actually want, is the reason why.

Also the update that just came out, supports up to 64 cars on a track at once.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 3, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capn Payne posted:

But its physics are poo poo...?

What? No? They are actually really good on the cars that are complete so far, if not the best in the genre so far. The game has a number of real world, professional racing drivers giving feed back on the physics. They aren't paid either to just spout bullshit and marketing terms. Some of them have actually invested a lot of money in this project, so they have an invested interest in making sure the sim is shaped the way they want.

If you're playing rFactor 2, you need to stop. That is an arcade racing game, pretending to be a sim, and you should really stop making comparisons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capn Payne posted:

edit: I promise I'm not trying to make you mad. I really thought CARS felt like an arcade game masquerading as a sim, and to hear the other way around... I don't know. I don't think any Serious Sim Racer would agree with that.

Well, no offense but your comment was really stupid and uninformed. CARS is in early alpha still, and honestly it already blows rf2 out of the water. I've played the same sims you have, and the only one I don't consider worth playing are rF1 and 2. Especially since rFactor 2 is going the route of iRacing in making you pay to access the online.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 3, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capn Payne posted:

I'm now poking around through the other thread and some other racing sim forums and I guess I failed to realize how ridiculously fast and frequently they are updating the physics. I am willing to be convinced -- in fact I want to be.

I'll hook up the wheel later.

I really think you should keep up on its development. You won't be disappointed. Like I kept pointing out in the CARS thread, it's an early alpha and moving at a very fast pace. This sim is going to completely rewrite the genre I think. SMS is doing something very different here.

Also, Brownie is right about Richard Burns Rally. It's still the rally sim to play, even years later.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Largepotato posted:

A lot of people never even do official races and just use it for leagues. Don't need licenses for them.

This is me. In the 9 months i've been playing, I never do the official races, except time trials.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have to say, i'm getting more and more excited for Assetto Corsa as we learn more about the sim. It is looking really good so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There has been a surprising lack of F1 2012 talk by Codemasters. It comes out September 18th, supposedly for the PC, but I see no where to actually pre-order the PC version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, there hasn't really been anything to talk about lately with Project CARS. The game still has a very long ways to go before it is finished.

Falken posted:

It feels wooden as gently caress with my Fanatec.

The force feedback is non-existent on my Logitech wheel. I give up on Codemaster's games. They clearly aren't even trying anymore to ship quality products, so gently caress them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brownie posted:

Thank you for finally, finally seeing things from my point of view, Dirt 3 OP. Codemasters is the most frustrating company making games right now.

I know we've butted heads before, and didn't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but I've actually started to warm up to your opinions about racing sims lately.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WRC3 is a big improvement over last years. Unlike Codemasters with the F1 series, WRC is actually making improvements each year and getting better. It feels like the developers are serious with making this into a real good rally simulation that at that same time is accessible to everyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something I just spotted, Asseto Corsa is set to come out next year, around March. Which probably really means more like August or September next year, but the devs are trying to launch in March. Still waiting on that tech demo too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They may as well just stop working on LFS and create something completely new from scratch. By the end of next year, everyone will have moved onto the next generation of racing sims that are going to be far more realistic than anything out right now currently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God I really want that tech demo for AC already. I hope they can launch it this month, but i'm almost 100% positive it won't happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Logitech Driving Force GT wheel is what I got, and is in that price range. :) It's a great entry level wheel for those who want to get serious about racing sims, but don't play them that much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't get one with no force feedback, FFB is pretty important. The DFGT gives you everything you need to get started.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paddle Shifters are on there, but they suck.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dream of the day we can get a sim that captures the 24 hours of Nurburgring with 200 cars on track.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An Enormous Boner posted:

I'm hoping that Assetto Corsa owns as much as it seems like it's going to.

Shouldn't it have been released by now, anyway?

The tech demo was suppose to have been out weeks ago, and now the devs want the full game out in March 2013. No way that is going to happen though. More like about September 2013 is more realistic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I imagine it's almost worth it, but that's reaching the hardcore sim racing niche. If I were still playing iRacing, and at a very competitive level at that, I would do it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

It's not even anything to do with competitive level. It's just a lot more fun to be slamming down through the gears on a sequential shifter on heavy braking :) I used to use the G25 shifter in sequential mode and that wasnt even remotely fun to use. It was a flimsy piece of crap, but something like a Frex, its just a satisfying physical thing to use.

I would imagine the competitive sim racers are using whatever is the easiest/least effort shifting mechanism. No point making extra work for yourself when you could map paddle shifters to everything.

That's a great way to look at it actually. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Some off cam footage of gameplay from Assetto Corsa that I thought looked really impressive; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoDa-tiQ6iE

I like how realistic it looks with the grass getting torn up as the cars go through it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6STDdTQREA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't experienced any crashes, but to be honest you aren't missing anything; this game has the same driving model as Shift 2 Unleashed, but manages to be really boring.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New Assetto Corsa screenshots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am starting to have dreams about this sim too. I really want to play it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't get NetKar-Pro to work right with my wheel. Hopefully since AC is brand new, it should work just fine. I have heard nothing but great things about NetKar-Pro though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Assetto Corsa is delayed which is no surprise there, but on the plus side it now has Ferrari.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing new for Asseto Corsa? Demo was suppose to be out a month ago.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't have my racing wheel with me at college, I hope I can just use a controller to play Asseto Corsa. I know I won't be able to get the most out of the sim, but I hope it's still friendly to controllers anyways.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got the preview installed, ran it, and it won't let me actually play. It says its only for nKar Pro owners right now.

[edit]
To be fair, it said right there on the website, I just didn't see it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brownie posted:

Yeah, they've been saying that for a while. I even said it in my earlier post!

Anyway, let's post times. I'm terrible at all simulation racing just FYI. My best time is 1:29.856

I didn't think it applied anymore. :mad:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think either sim is coming out anytime soon. Assetto Corsa I know for a fact is way behind schedule.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

F1 2013 is going to be about racing in the 1980s and 90s. That is a pretty cool premise, it's just to bad that for Codemasters it's to late for me to give a poo poo; the last 3 F1 games from them have been awful so i'm done with their franchise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Project Cars has those F1 cars anyways. Also, I got my DFGT back so I can finally play racing sims on my PC again. Going to subscribe to iRacing again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Project CARS on Steam ever update? I don't think i've ever noticed it update once even though for my account its suppose to once a week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Team members get daily updates since two weeks or so. Make sure you've selected the proper membership in the beta properties page in Steam.

Okay wow, i'm sure that was explained on the PCARS forums and I didn't see it. Thank you so much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You probably just don't notice. It does. Did you change your subscription status in The beta menu? It defaults to the monthly one, you have to pick yours.

I didn't have the correct subscription. So I really was not getting updates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do any of you play Project Cars with a controller? How do you like it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

It's bad, if you ask me. It feels like the steering doesn't react to my input as fast as it should, on the 360 Controller.

That's disappointing. :( I can't attach my wheel to the desk I have and I can't just go out and buy a new one because the desk is provided (I live in a furnished college apartment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to Assetto Corsa? I noticed it's still not out yet and it was suppose to have been out months ago. Does it at least sound like the game is getting close to being done?

• Locked thread