Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I might just be retarded, but what happened to the Project Cars thread? I can't find it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thanks, I was searching for project cars. Forgot the person who made the thread made it an acronym.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's clearly an arcade game. I played the game with my CSR's sensitivity set to off and it was controllable but entirely boring. Not fun to drive as Forza, not as challenging as iRacing or Project CARS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If money isn't much of an object, the Clubsport V2 pedals would be great. For a hundred dollars less you can get the CSR elite pedals. It still has a load cell for the brake (not as good I guess) and apparently the clutch feels better on the CSv2 but it's cheaper and feels perfectly fine to me. You can also move the pedals around and you can also get an inversion kit. This gives a realistic feel to the pedals if you don't feel like mounting them somewhere (you can do this too). I don't know if you can take the pedals out of the clubsport v2 or not. On the CSR elite pedals, everything can be disassembled and removed. So you can just take the pedals out, take out the PCB and mount these wherever you want. All you need is that the cables for the pedals reach the PCB and that you can plug in the PS/2 or USB cable to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the reliability thing is mostly just a squeaky wheel gets the grease situation. The only problem I ever had with my wheel was when it wouldn't save my settings and the solution was just to update the firmware.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if I could ever justify spending 150 bucks on what amounts to an up and down button. Or 500 dollars on a shifter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm just hoping that the new shifter Fanatec is coming out with is good. It looks crazy, and it looks really tall. Who knows.

The only picture they have on their site from what I can tell is on the new clubsport seat page. http://us.fanatec.com/Stand?product_id=555

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a demo for 2? I'd like to try it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Until March 1st, you can buy netkar pro for 7 bucks, which I did to play this demo. It would be pretty fun. Even though it's sponsored by Fanatec, several of the functions of my CSR wheel don't work in the game. It doesn't even see the axis for my clutch pedal. You can't even set a button to be the clutch. It doesn't accept the hat switch as inputs. So right now all I can do is drive around, lift off throttle all the way, change gears and then go back on throttle. Anything else and it grinds the gears for a second. I'm a bit disappointed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe it's because my pedals are going through my wheel and not straight to USB. I do that so I can use it with Forza. Everything shows up in the game controllers window. The game just doesn't even show the clutch axis. And the automatic clutch doesn't seem to do anything in game if the throttle is pressed in. I go to switch gears with the H shifter and it just sits there grinding the gear until eventually shifting.

Edit: Looked on the forums. seems like clutch doesn't work through the wheel. I don't really feel like changing it to USB right now as I'd have to disassemble my racing rig.

Double Edit: Plugged my pedals in USB and gave it another go. This game is pretty fun. I'll reserve my total judgement until I can drive something besides the Elise. The back wheels have more grip than the front wheels, needs to be the other way around, please.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has anyone else tried out Sim Raceway? It's "free." You get a few cars and 14 tracks to play around with and you buy the rest. It's in open beta right now, and seems ok. I checked it out because it has COTA and I wanted to try that track out (it's pretty challenging). It also has the 1M as a free car, and I've been wanting to buy a 135i so it was a chance to get a feel for the 1 series. The cars are pretty polished from what I can tell, and the game has some nice features. My only problem is that wheel support is iffy. Force feedback seems to be pretty broken for my Fanatec CSR. There's no setting between no weight to the wheel at all or having to fight it like the power steering has died on a modern car. Range of movement seems to be broken as well. The sensitivity has to be set to 360 degrees. 900 degrees means I have to turn the wheel around once just to take a corner.

Still needs a lot of work before I'd be willing to spend money on the cars.

https://www.simraceway.com

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've decided to just uninstall it. It was fun to try out COTA, but I'll wait for a decent game to get it. Simraceway just has really bad wheel support. It also made shifting really weird. Seems like no matter what I did with the throttle, the revs were always wrong when shifting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Try F1 2012. COTA is in there.

I played the demo. 270 degrees of steering is worse than 360.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't understand how that game can be so ugly. I thought iRacing was bad because I was used to Forza and pCARS, but this game is terrible. People post videos in the track threads on the pCARS website that have a split screen of pCARS, iRacing, rFactor 2 and Simraceway. rFactor 2 is always the ugliest. It drove ok, but it was annoying to set up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

On the other hand non grass-induced slides felt very intuitive to recover from, for some reason when I try to recover from a slide in pCARS in cars with slicks I tend to suddenly regain grip while pointing in the wrong direction and hit a wall. I don't know if that's how slicks are supposed to behave or not.

I wish there was a demo for Assetto Corsa already, everything I've read about it makes it sound like it will be pretty good.

That's why I pretty much only drive the Lotus 49 and the Zakspeed Ford Capri in pCARS. The bias plies of the lotus make it easy to find a slip angle and slide across the track all day. The Ford Capri is just super fun.

And like deebo said, there is a tech demo for Assetto Corsa. It's the Lotus Elise on some Italian sounding track. It's pretty fun, and feels good.

CactusWeasle posted:

Be aware though RF2 is murder on a system. Dont expect high frame rates on anything but a very high end gaming rig.

This makes no sense to me. I don't see what is in this game that would make it be murder on a system. Especially when I can play pCARS with high framerates on a midrange computer I built last year. All the youtube videos I watch mention how the people who make rFactor are apparently good at making a racing engine but terrible at every other thing that is involved in making a game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought WRC3 and tried it out. It was terrible. Aside from the fact that you can't use the mouse at all in a PC game, the game doesn't like fanatecs. With my pedals piggy backed on my wheel, it was using the gas pedal or something for up and down in the menus. In order to do anything, I had to hold the gas half way to get it stable. I plugged them in via USB and was able to use the menus again but it was a waste because the actual cars handle like garbage. I wanted something I could blast through corners but the cars it starts with don't have enough power to break traction and trying to ebrake through corners, even slowly, ended with me just understeering into a wall. Luckily they have a 7 day money back guarantee.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sort of. It's mostly about the 2013 season and then there's DLC that lets you drive older cars. I'm going to guess the cars will have the exact same on rails handling that the rest of their game has. F1 2012 was barely worth the 10 dollars I just spent on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I tried out the tech demo, and it was pretty fun aside from the lack of control options. Having the camera controls being inverted from what I'm used to made it impossible to get the camera where I want it. Camera control in general was horrendous, but the game is pretty fun aside from that.

Edit: Does anyone know if it works with a wheel or not?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 4, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got my monoprice order today and I'm back in business.

HDMI cable and a USB cable going across my living room to my TV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Owning netkar pro gets you the assetto corsa alpha.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love the Capri and the various open wheel cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You probably just don't notice. It does. Did you change your subscription status in The beta menu? It defaults to the monthly one, you have to pick yours.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish I had more time for pcars, but I've been trying to get better at iracing. It's definitely one of the best driving sims out there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They added the 190E? I might have to try that out this weekend. My favorites so far are the Formula C, Formula Gulf, Lotus 78, Lotus 98T and the Zakspeed Capri. Both the modern M3s are pretty good too. That atoms are fun, but I don't drive them much as I prefer the formula cars. I'm not to hot on most of the actual cars. The E30 just looks weird and I don't like the way it drives. A lot of the cars (at least when I drove them) felt like they had no grip for how slow they were going.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They made a blog update about the Exige S on the 23rd. And it still says the game will be out in Fall 2013 which starts in 21 days.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Forza is good but the community is slowing down. It'll go down even more when Forza 5 comes out. The people still playing Forza 4 now are the people who are dedicated enough to most likely buy an xbone and get 5. It's still worth getting 4 if it's cheap because it's a great game. Just keep in mind that a lot of the multiplayer will be mostly empty or will be filled with cliques who will kick you without giving you a chance. I know I almost got kicked out of a nascar lobby but only was allowed to stay because I had a livery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do you mean by no PC sim worth it? Like something new being released? There's plenty of good PC sims.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got a refund on 3 because it felt like garbage. There's not even a demo for 4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're getting a wheel you should go for the best you can afford at the time. Anything less and you'll spend all the time you're using it wishing you had the next best thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pvax posted:

Is there anyway to still get access to pCars, or am i stuck waiting for a full release?

I don't know if it's still going but pledging for the console versions will give you access to the PC version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seems to always be that way with project cars. Maybe my system is just not set up the same way, but the screenshots they release always look so much more real than what my game looks like. I bought the game because the demo was fun and this game looks like it could be fun if they get some better tracks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not. The oval is blocked off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Works fine for me. Did you set it up properly?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not a checkbox saying "Hey, there's another device to use as a shifter" it's just saying "Use these buttons as a shifter as well."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a few BMWs available like the E30, the E92 M3 and a Z4 gt3 or something. There is the 458 italia, Lotus 49. A modern lotus car and some others. The only thing keeping me from playing right now is the tracks kind of suck. Silverstone is boring. I'm waiting for Spa and Mugello.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Falken posted:

Thank you Assetto Corsa for introducing me to Autodromo Valleunga. Really fun circuit, much more entertaining than Imola. Down to a 1:38.520 in the Tatuus Formula Abarth.

I guess they haven't quite put in a checkpoint system yet because you can take that first right after the pit straight and drive back around to the straight. I got a 56.168 second lap.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It feels pretty good so far.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

kaujot posted:

Is multiplayer already available for AC?

Not yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
iRacing isn't too bad if you pick a path you want to go down and stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
GT Legends, is ok but not great. The physics is terrible and no one plays it. My forza group got it because it was 8 bucks and tried it out one night. We were the only people online.

• Locked thread