Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I'm the market for either a Crested or Garg Gecko. Either would be fine since I like both. I was planning on flipping a 10gal tank on its side for probably a year before I moved him to a bigger tank,but while searching around for a place to buy a Gecko from I came across http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/complete-crested-gecko-terrarium-set-up.html . Is that deal good as good as it seems or is there something I am missing that I should be a bit more leary off. Cuz ~$160 for an entire setup seems amazing seeing as the cheapest Gecko they have would set me back ~$120 and other sites it would probably be around ~$100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

nesbit37 posted:

For buying new stuff it isn't terrible, but for the dry goods you can get that stuff for much less on craigslist if you are not in a hurry. I picked up 2 of those same tanks for $50 total a year back from someone who didn't want to keep geckos anymore. You don't need the repticarpet, water conditioner or thermometer. The cage furniture stuff is fine, but you can go and use whatever you like for that.

As for the free gecko, it depends what you want. If you don't care what the crested looks like and you just want one as a pet then it will be fine. If you want some choice in the matter or are looking for something specific then you should look elsewhere. You also may be able to get one from a local breeder for $20 or so.

I don't know your time frame, but I have some gargoyle eggs incubating, though I am not certain what I will be doing with the hatchlings. Depends how many make it out. I know at least one other person was breeding gargs in the thread, was it Mushroom Spore?

Yeah I knew some of it was useless and that I could get every cheaper on CL. Unfortunately around here it is a deadzone of uselessness. I've been searching around the past couple months and the only local "breeders" are Petco and Petsmart. And seeing as all I ever see in the ones around here are sick reptiles in tiny tanks and Red Ear Sliders with obvious shell problems...I'll pass.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Argh! I can't decide between Cresties and Gargs, they're both just so awesome.(The correct answer is I will eventually end up with both!) but I dunno which one to start with. Help help! :(

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Atmus posted:

Get a bunch of tokays, to use against your enemies.

:black101: This is an amazing idea.

Edit: To add more content. My current really small crop of herps!

First up is my Anerythristic Corn, Robert Baratheon the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm or Mr. Slithers for short. His shots kinda suck, cuz he is an rear end and doesn't like to really sit still long enough to set anything up.

Secondly is my pacman frog, Robb Stark King in the North, King of the Trident, Lord of Winterfell. Normally he lets his friends call him Clyde.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 1, 2012

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So arguing back and forth with myself as to whether I wanted to get a crested or gargoyle, I finally decided gargoyle. The well little guy/girl showed up today. I have not thought of a name yet. Mostly cuz I want to wait until I can it is old enough to tell if it is male or female,but seeing as it is only 2-3 months old and maybe 3g, it'll be a while. So I suppose I could go with something gender neutral. Dunno yet.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Malalol posted:

Petcos sale for the zills end tomorrow, 40g breeder for $60 and 20L for 40 which I think are great deals, but I have no space. :C I dont find a lot of good deals momnpop store wise though.

At least here, the 20L is actually $30. I've been tempted to go buy one,but was gonna wait till next week,but I suppose I might have to pop in tomorrow and snatch it. I wish I had a mom and pop store to go to. :(

Has anybody tried a clay background for cresties/gargs? Perhaps a recipe that will work with their lower humidity requirements? Most recipies I see require it to be 80%+ humidity 24/7 which is obviously too high for the wee little geckos to handle.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
so I ended up picking up a pretty massive tank up off of craigslist for cheap. 24x24x26 with stand for $45. It also came with its lone inhabitant. A little girl leopard gecko that clearly hasn't been taken too good of care of. Sand was disgusting. No hides for some god awful reason.

Obviously a bunch of terrible sheds since parts of toes are missing and was in the middle of a bad shed when I went to pick up the tank. After a couple soaks and some gentle rubbing with q-tips, I've managed to clean up the shed. The tank is currently being aired out since I bleached the poo poo out of it.

Am I right in thinking that I should just move the gecko to a smaller tank? That tank seems god drat huge for a single leopard and I picked it with the idea of eventually using it either as a home for a group of gargoyles or more likely the home for the Tokay I may be lucky enough to get from Pardalis, if she ends up with healthy little squirts in a few months.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Totally read that as getting herpes.

Anyway, I decided experiment with the whole kitty litter clay background thing. So as a testing ground, I set up a tank that really doesn't need it and will pretty much never get used,but I think it looks neat. So screw it; I decided to pimp out Samwell the frog's tank. End result? I like it.

The fake palmish leaves could have been done better, but oh well. I have no idea how the hell there is always coco in that water dish when I never see him in it ever.

Cave that was built around a small tupperware container. I didn't see him for like 3 days. Found him in there just chillin. Seems like he likes it.

Why not see the Gargoyle's tank while I'm at it! I still haven't decided a name. I'm waiting until the little bugger is old enough to sex. Had the dude a month and in that time it has doubled from 3g to 6g!

Wanted to say hello too.

So I took advantage and went in for a close up.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 7, 2012

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Forgot to put this one up. This is the tank/stand(24x24x26) I got on CL for $45 with the Leopard Gecko that was definitely not taken care of too well. Ugly and basic for now,but you know. Eventually will move her to a 20l probably. Then prepare that tank for something else. Probably Tokays!

Looking like not only is she missing pieces of almost all her toes from bad sheds,but she may be blind. I can't fully tell yet. I don't see any damage to her eyes. No eyes caps(yes I know they're technically not eye caps like snakes). Can see pupils,but she had trouble hunting down crickets last night. I ended up shoving them in her face with tongs so she could get them. Not sure if is the eyes issues or just a general malnourishment issues going on.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Fyi if anybody is in need of a new tank for something or another Petco is having a $1 a gallon tank sale this month. Ad seems to show 10g,20g,29g,40g,and 55g as the ones on sale. I think I might pick up a 29g for my blind little leopard.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
After talking with a friend, I ended up deciding to create rocks and hides and stuff for my tanks. I started to experiment with the Leopard Gecko's tank first since it is the most bare by far.

What is currently looks like. Just a plastic flower pot, a dish, and some slate tiles with a mixture of sand/cococoir in between. Yeah, the thermometers suck. They're just temp.

Oh Herro

Anyways. These are what they currently look like...

That is roughly what it'll look like once I set it in the tank. Still gotta wait for it to dry so I can paint it a bit. Not too much just adding in some browns and greens mostly.

I've also started a second project,but I haven't started mortaring it yet because I'm not fully sure if I am done sculpting it. Gotta look at it some more to decide if I like or if I will start over possibly with expanding foam.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So okay. After a couple sheds and some tlc the rescued leopard gecko,Asha, has perked up quite a bit and has fully regained her vision and in a few days when the acrylic sealer has had time to air out, the stuff is ready for her tank!

I tried to mimic the look of slate tile in the painting and it came out pretty close I think.

And as for the other project. The background got painted today. I just have to seal it now.

Doing all this I've learned a few things. First everything I read said to use unsanded grout...That is only sorta right. The first couple layers when you're trying to seal off the Styrofoam is definitely easier with unsanded. But the later layers, sanded is so much nicer. It gets much harder and adds a nice amount of texture that you can't mimic by just sprinkling sand into your final layer of sealer.

But you don't have to buy both. The leopard stuff used sanded grout I had lying around,but it wasn't enough for the background. So I made my own by adding cococoir and play sand to the mix.

The next thing I learned is that Mod Podge are a bunch of god drat liars. I was checking for a water based acrylic sealer that I could pick up easy. Mod Podge was it. Their web site even said you could use it on Styrofoam. Well, I tried to seal the back of my background that I didn't grout at all and it started melting. So I went back and put a really really thin layer on the back to protect it and then resealed it.

Thirdly, I bought a red light bulb for the leopard and holy crap is it a lot brighter than the moonlight bulbs I have for my Garg's and Frog's tank. I wish the moonlight were brighter cuz I like the light color better, but I guess I'll be buying a couple more red bulbs.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I'm turning that big tank with the background into a a viv with actual live plants and poo poo. Whats a good place to order springtails and isopods? I just siliconed the background on. That stuff didn't smell nearly as bad or strong as I've read. It kinda smelled like mustard.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
so my big tank's plants and bugs came in today, so I put everything in place and now to just let everything grow!

Just so everybody remembers without having to look back, this is what the background started as.

Then after lots of grout and painting and sealing, it turned into this:

Here it a few days ago with just the branches in place and the new screen I made for it. The tank when I bought it off the dude came with this lovely, scratched plexiglass lid with some holes in it. Soo I bought a window kit and some fiberglass mesh and made a new lid.

While out with the dog I found a HUGE branch from a silver maple tree. Already debarked. Dragged that thing home and cut off what I wanted. Did the usual bleach soak and then oven to dry it out.

The substrate is my own concoction that is pretty close to ABG mix. I used top soil with sphagnum moss, cococoir, play sand, this nice orchid mix(fir bark,charcoal and something or another I think more moss), pea gravel and a leaf litter mix of Red Oak, White Ash, and Silver Maple.

I might end up getting more plants, but that'll depend on how these grow into the tank. For now I've got a Golden Pothos, an African Violet, Variegated Ivy(close relative of English Ivy,but I think these vines are prettier), a "Black Gold" Sansevieria trifasciata and in that little potter is a clipping of a Wandering Jew. Once it starts rooting and the like, I'll transplant it into the soil itself.

Also put in Springtails and Porcellio scaber in there to have some fun.

Also, he/she wants to say hello after walking through its food >.>

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Oh god oh god. I found CB Tokay's on Faunaclassified. But it is cold as gently caress here so shipping is risky. :ohdear: Then my Dubia colony isn't established yet so I'd either need to pick up some more sub adults/adults to help it along and still buy more crickets for a few months.

I think I will email and ask about holding one till Spring possibly. Or maybe Pardalis's will hatch eventually and I can get one from her instead.

So tempted to get it now. :( :(

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I ended up pulling the trigger and Mr. Tokay showed up today. And he as was feisty and bitey as I was expecting. It is AWESOME. I didn't really want to stress him out too much so I only snapped a couple quick shots.

I apparently need to clean that glass better. :(

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 28, 2012

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

kaosAG posted:

They are beautiful, murderous things. When I had mine, I had to take them out of their tank for cleaning because they'd bite the poo poo out of me if I left them in there. I routinely wore heavy leather welding gloves any time I handled them because I just got sick of gecko-mouth shaped bruises on my fingers. They're like the reptilian version of everything bad ever said about pit bulls. That said, I loved mine, they're pretty as hell, and if nothing else, you always know how they're feeling (they're feeling like biting you).

I'm glad that when I decided I wanted a Tokay that I listened to Pardalis and waited until I could find a CB. The extra money worth it. I've only had em 2 weeks, but he has calmed so much.

First couple days he bit the poo poo out of me, but since then nothing.
He still postures and barks at me, but that is it. I've got no problems grabbing him barehanded,which is good cuz I can't stand wearing gloves. And now it takes me maybe 30 seconds to wrangle him out of the viv vs the 5 minutes it took me in the beginning.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 19, 2012

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
They don't have eye caps,but the underside of their eyelids do shed and with lovely conditions it gets stuck to the eye. You can try eye drops/warm water and using a q-tip to gently get it off, but their eyes are delicate and you're better off letting a rep vet do it especially since you don't know how long it has been going on. Could be a major infection under there too. Tail thing sounds like scale rot.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Room temps are fine as long as it is somewhere between 72-80~. They can tolerate up to about 85 without stressing if you really want to put a heating pad or use a light on colder nights.

If you're not going to add in live plants, substrate isn't required. Paper towels would make cleaning up poop easier. If you want to put some coco in there to make it look nicer then go ahead. It won't exactly hurt anything.

He looks skinny,but somebody like Foxy will have a better idea on that front since on the crested front I live vicariously through her and the other posters.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah, that is what I mean. That is the cuttoff if for some reason you wanted to keep them warmer or you keep your heat insanely high in the winter.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I can't stand crickets. Fuckers die way too easily besides other things. I just had one active alive cricket kick the bucket from the time I put it into the vit powder to the time I tried to take it out. At least Asha is a voracious little leopard gecko and will eat any god drat thing you put in front of her face. Including fingers.

Can't wait to be comfortable to start feeding off from my dubia colony. I started with roughly 450 babbies, 5 females and 1 male in I think September. A large number of those should be reaching adulthood in the next month or so. All the bigger ones seem to be female so far. Hopefully I get a few males just cuz the single male I had is one of my very few casualties.

Foxy, you try feeding Photon other roach species like B laterals? I've been tempted to start a colony,but then realize I have no use for it when I only have like 3-4 animals that need insects and nothing that needs such a varied diet like Chams.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
To you guys who goes to show often, how common are viper geckos? The Tiney Park show is in a couple weeks and repticon is in June so im on the look out for the cute little buggers.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Some pet stores do keep them, but chains are slow on the uptake I guess (or they don't want to deal with a roach that's illegal in a state, maybe? who knows). They dust as easy as crickets do.

Some of that. Part might be costs. I'm not a store,but I can get 1k crickets for maybe $15 shipped if I shopped around. 1k adult males would cost me like $120-150. Females..Would cost me probably 500.

But really I think the biggest reason is perception. People hear roach and immediately think cockroach and go,"eeew I don't want those in my house gross." So why stock them when most of your customers will be grossed out by them and not wanting to use em.

Speaking of roaches, the colony I started in September or so is starting to have adults pop up. I had 4 adult females and 1 male to begin with and now I'm up to probably 5-6 females and like 8 males and that is after I've already fed off 3-4 males. Stupid roaches stop being boys. Be girls so I can have more babbies.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Bruc posted:

I honestly did not realize from earlier posts that that much stuff was required, so paper towels and potted plants it is for now!. I was honestly under the impression that it was just a bit more work to clean and took a bit more setup but if it takes that much extra stuff I will go with a more standard terrarium, I suppose with a gecko having a fancy "ground floor" isn't a huge deal anyhow since they spend most of their time in the plants anyhow.

It isn't as complicated as it sounds if you want to do it. http://www.neherpetoculture.com/ I tend to buy my plants from there because they are a lot nicer and cheaper(including shipping) than anything local nurseries tend to have. Plus bugs. Pick pretty much any plant from the gecko plants section. If you're turning a 20L vert, my favorite plant for that would probably be a ZZ plant. They're pretty much impossible to kill and will basically fill the entire enclosure. Just don't let your cat/baby eat the leaves since they are toxic.

Drainage can be those hydroballs they sell, you can use plastic egg crate things that tend to be used a lot when making frog vivs, you can just use some pea gravel or other stones. All covered that with a fine mesh to keep out soil.

Your soil can be the abg mix,but that can be kinda expensive and is easy enough to make on your own. I belive my mix is a mixture of top soil, peat,coco coir,and an orchid mix which is just fir bark, more peat, and charcoal. Then cover that with the moss or use leaf litter.

I think I water them maybe twice a month. Most of their water is gotten from misting. If it looks dry I'll add a little water. Beyond cleaning off the glass there is no cleaning at all to be done. The springtails and isopods take care of poop and decaying plant matter.

If you get an exotera the background is done. If you do a vert the background options are vast. You can just not bother with one, get a premade one, just use corkbark or custom make one. My big tank,(see below) is made of styrafoam sheets I cut and clued together then covered with god knows how many layers of grout. Then painted with water based acrylics. Then sealed. You can skip the sealing if you want to spray the stone for about a month with a vinegar solution to balance the ph. I just sealed it with a water based acrylic sealer, cuz lazy.

The other tank below was done with spray foam, smear tons and tons of silicone onto foam then coat with cococoir. Let dry for a couple weeks for all the fumes to disappear.

Suppose that is more work than paper towels and a potted pothos,but eh I enjoy it.

My Tokay's tank. I actually am going to rearrange those plants in a couple weeks when I finish up work on my new tank for my Garg in a couple week. That bigass one in the back is the ZZ. They get to be 20+ inches tall.

Resident of said tank. He has tamed immensely since I got him. Only really time he barks and gets annoyed is if I go to pick him up and he's still asleep. Beyond that he doesn't care.

Top right one is the new tank I'm working on. I didn't like any of the premade kits since they all had the door open down and I rather have it open to the side so I did it that way. Mostly just waiting on weather so I can finish painting.

The snakes need their glass cleaned. >.>

Keep in mind my work kinda sucks since I've never really done anything like this stuff before and I'm learning how to do it all as I go so things aren't as nice as they could be.

As for transporting them, I'd suggest grabbing yourself a small cooler and putting in one of those disposable heat packs in it. That way you don't have to worry about them going through the cold temps.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 13, 2013

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Googling seems to agree that your hand/arm is gonna be swollen for a couple weeks and won't really require an ER visit. Doubt there really is any antivenom for them anyways.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Petco/mart can be decent places to pick up herps. It really depends on the store. Some take care of their animals well, others put Red Tail Boas in a 10 gallon tank and go "good enough". Occasionally you can get really nice Crested Morphs at Petco for cheap since no matter what they get in, it's always $49.99 or something. Petsmart will probably charge you more since I've seen that they tend to charge more for "fancy" morphs.

I think $80 is roughly normal price for something not bought at a show. Most places online will put an adult regular morph somewhere between $40-60. So when shipping is added in that comes out roughly to the same price.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Usually somewhere between 24-48 hours is fine.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I use a thin base of play sand and broken slate tiles for my leo. Mostly just enough sand to fill in the cracks between the tiles so she doesn't get her toes pinched or anything

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So it took a lot longer and bit more money than it should have since I was learning as I went,but I finally finished the tank I've been slowly working on. The extra money and time mostly came from rushing to paint and never having really spraypainted before.

Mostly it was too drat cold and even though I took precautions like keeping everything inside until it was time to paint, it bubbled and looked like rear end. So I ended up having to scrape it all off and start over again. This of course did a bit of damage to the plastic. Hence the copper textured paint to hide it.

I also learned that battery powered dremels are useless and quickly returned it for a real one.

There is currently not real lock on the door. I was planning on adding a cabinet magnet,but the door seems tight enough that I don't need to. I may just put a couple plastic clips like on the premade conversion kits if it turns out I need it.

That ZZ plant will eventually grow to fill basically the whole thing. I'll probably temporarily put in a fake plant until it grows large enough. Nobody is moving in quite yet. The silicone/paint on the hinge need a couple more days to air out. Then it'll be my wee little Gargoyle Gecko's brand new home.

Total price if I hadn't hosed up and had to buy an extra like $25 worth of paint probably comes out to around $115 including the furnishings. Basically the same price as if I had bought a conversion kit except I have a vertical hinge.

I apparently forgot to scrape off the extra paint off of that side. Good thing I took these pictures to check that out.

Also, have a blurry picture of roaches making babbies.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Foou Manchu posted:

Let's see some more pictures of your beasts in here!

You want herps. You got em.

Super Fatty rescue. Was like 43g when I rescued her. 60g at tonights weigh in.

But this butthole is catching up. Their weights at time of acquisition were 43g to 26g. He is now 53g

He doesn't actually get angry enough to open his mouth most days. I had to annoy him to get it open for that pick. He mostly just barks at me when annoyed.

I should get a loupe and sex this one already,but eh lazy.

Stupid snakes wouldn't sit still :(

Was doing feedings tonight. I've never seen one in mid-molt before. Thought it was neat.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I've only got 3 Gecko species(Leo,Gargoyle, and Tokay) and a couple corn snakes. I'm going to repticon at the end of June. I'm sure I'll end up coming home with something. Hopefully Viper Geckos if somebody is selling them and aren't outrageous in price. Or maybe something to put in my now empty 12x12x18 Exo-Terra.

Speaking of those. Has anybody else have had problem with screen rust? I thought it was supposed to be anodized and all to prevent that. Mine was starting to rust from misting, so I ended up tearing it out and replacing it with a fiberglass screen.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Good lord. One of my snakes just laid the most rank-rear end gag inducing turd I have ever smelled.
The minute you walked in the room, the smell hit you in the face. To makes things more interesting his eyes are blue right now, so he kept trying to strike at me while I was cleaning it up.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah, I've actually kinda noticed my garg didn't really like the new CGD either. Was wondering what was up with that. I've had to mix it with the Pangea mix and hand feed lately to make sure he is eating.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
The culture is pretty much another word for colony in this case. You can just dump them in and go or reserve some back and add more soil and food to the tubs and watch the little guys make more for you to add later.

For soil you can make your own ABG mix pretty easily. The typical one is roughly

2 parts tree fern fiber
1 part peat moss
2 parts cocofiber
1 part charcoal
2 parts orchid bark

Some don't use coco. Some add other stuff like top soil or sand. Not really difficult and pretty drat cheap to make yourself. You can even cut corners more by buying an orchid potting mix and potting soil, if you can find one without any fertilizers. Those 2 things will pretty much cover you.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Bruc posted:

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. Would that soil mixture be found at a place like Lowes by chance or would I need to find a more specialized garden store/go online?.

Yeah you can get orchid mixes at most hardware stores. If you mean abg mixes, I believe you'd have to get it online. I tend to use New England Herp for stuff like this cuz their plants are cheaper and nicer than anything I can get local. No idea how their supplies prices compare to other places.

Oh yeah! Make sure you add in a drainage layer. You can go as high tech as plastic egg crates covered with that weed blocker mesh stuff and those hydroballs things or go lazy and just use some small pebbles and the weed blocker or even fiberglass screening.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Went to the Repticon Chicago today. It was a pretty tiny show and I sadly forgot my camera/phone to get pictures of the few cool things and many unhappy looking chameleons with very little cover.

I basically fell in love with this awesome Argentinan Black and White Tegu. He was such a cool dude and I spent like 20 minutes sperging with his owner about it. Including getting to hear stories about how it once stole a burrito.

I went looking for a couple possible things. Mostly to see if anybody was selling cbb Tokays because I wanted to get a pretty female to go with male. Sadly there was only one guy selling unsexed juvie imports. So I passed.

Sadly as to be expected nobody had any viper geckos since they've become super rare. I was also possibly looking for vampire crabs, which I did see one.

I spent like an hour talking to Lee and Susan Hornsby of Southeastern Exotics. They had possibly my favorite Crested Gecko morph and I ended up taking it home. A very pretty juvie Halloween Harlequin.

Wouldn't fire up for the pictures and I didn't want to stress it too much :(

I let it settle in for a couple hours and set it up in a critter keeper with some tiny roach nymphs. Totally chowed down. :3:

His tank is kinda bare for now since it is my garg's old tank. I'll plant it eventually when my ZZ stalk clipping grows itself some big rear end roots. Quickly learned I needed to put a visual barrier between the two tanks since the garg sat on his shelf death staring the new neighbor.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I know Zarathustra already offered free roaches and all and I would too if my colony was bigger, but in case he runs out or shipping is too much effort; http://www.dubideli.com/Store.html is where I bought mine. I looked around and prices are pretty much the same everywhere so it doesn't really matter.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Please please please, get rid of the sand. Tile, reptile carpet, paper towels, nothing. Anything is better than sand.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Huh, everything I've read has said to avoid sand like the plague. In some cases they say okay for adults, but why take the risk vs just using shelf liner or slate

Either way, I stand corrected.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Big Centipede posted:

Oh, I missed that ball... I'd keep the ball on rats and nothing else.

The only downside to chicks is the snake poop can be extra smelly sometimes. My ratsnakes and kings LOVE them.

So besides the smelly turds there anything else to watch out for if I were decide to switch to a mostly chick diet? It is getting time to reorder food for the corns so I thought I'd maybe try them out.

Also I finally managed to get a photo of the new little crested to fire up.

• Locked thread