Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm starting to really dislike Repticon but their shows are ubiquitous so they might be a good site to point people to when they're interested in getting an animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is basically BSL for snakes and it's just as retarded. I could understand making folks get permits if they're that worried about it, but banning them is stupid.

And it's not like they can even -enforce- the state to state thing.

Comparing this to BSL doesn't quite follow, although its still silly for a lot of reasons.

Go peek at a place like faunaclassifieds to see how retic and etc breeders react to suggestions that they self regulate or work with usARK to get permitting put in place as a compromise. It's sadly hysterical and doesn't do responsible keepers any favors at all.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

mushroom_spore posted:

There are a lot of "facts" about snakes floating around. I've had someone tell me in all seriousness that rattlesnakes mate for life and if you kill one its mate will plot revenge on you, which is wrong on so many levels.

Wasn't that in Huck Finn?

At my last job someone tried to tell me they saw a hoopsnake :stare: I've only ever read that story (along with the rattlesnake one) in discussions of Appalachian folklore

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Congratulations on your new WC green anole.

Also, isn't he really big for a wild anole? I've never seen a guy that large. Maybe I only saw babies, though?

On one hand, female green anoles are pretty stocky and I thought the white dorsal stripe was a telltale for females. On the other, I kinda see dewlap in some of those profile photos.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You should get a knight anole to live inside

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Rhjamiz posted:

Correct, it is indeed a felony. Meaning if you have to move, you're a criminal if you take your pet with you. Do I believe it's enforceable? Not really, but I wouldn't like the idea of having a felony hanging over my head that a turn of bad fortune could get me charged for.

It's unenforcable for individuals, realistically, but I'm sure there will be some busts of idiots trying to be sneaky and clever and sell burms or whatever at reptile shows they've gone out of state for.

I typed a couple paragraphs on this on facebook a few days ago, I'll repost here if i can find it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That canebrake :swoon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, I think I will have to try and source them locally as well :/

They are all going into this 315 gallons worth of gecko space:

building thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448362

I am completely in awe of this

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Stanfield posted:

I'm heavily considering getting a snake, but despite the reasearch I've done so far I really feel like I have no idea about anything but the most basic of basics, so I have two questions really:

What are some good, easy to understand sites that have a lot of information about getting/looking after snakes, along with the ones in the OP? And do diamond pythons make good beginner snakes (although I don't how many Australians there are here so this might be harder to answer)?

This is quite topical, since I'm on the way home from surrendering a carpet python to a rescue. Carpets are another aussie species and in the same genus as the diamond, if i recall correctly (and if taxonomy hasn't been rearranged)

I'm not familiar with diamonds personally, but every other species in that genus has a reputation for being nervous and snappy if not worked with extensively. Consider that very carefully in combination with the size they attain. That's exactly why I had to give mine up; it was poorly socialized for a variety of reasons and had grown enough that the readiness to bite was a legitimate risk.

If you want an aussie python, I'd suggest a woma as they tend towards a much more mellow temperament, although those attain a pretty good size too.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Can they kill humans at that length? I thought it was 10 feet and up that was more apt to be capable of that.

I think it'd really depend on how you react. If the constrictee panicked and hyperventilated then it'd be really easy for it to go very badly.

Even if chances of death are slim, a 2.5 meter python could deliver a really nasty bite and if it constricted around an arm
or wrist it would definitely be a 2-3 person job to deal with.

Edit: clarity, added stuff

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 28, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The third one there (and possibly the first one as well) is a diamond x jungle carpet hybrid :eng101:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 29, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mine are rodent disposals even at that size. I feed mine once every 7 days and generally offer a second pinkie if they eat the first one

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Y'all are gonna love it when I start posting pictures of baby hoggies (hopefully) in June or July.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:downs:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Big Centipede posted:

I had that happen once. made my index and middle finger go pins-and-needles for about an hour, and the actual wound itched for days.

I don't think she broke the skin enough as I didn't notice anything unusual.

hyperhazard posted:

Wow. It takes a hardcore herp lover to go for the camera before pulling off the snake :)

To be fair they absolutely aren't strong biters, that was about as threatening as getting mouthed by a kitten.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 2, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hood Ornament posted:

Maybe don't sell animals on craigslist?

And this goes for everyone, goddamn. You might as well start selling reptiles out of the trunk of your car in front of Family Dollar.

Faunaclassifieds and kingsnake.com are both cesspools in their own special ways, but they're miles better than selling on CL.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cowslips Warren posted:

But both of them still hiss and puff like mad when I open their cages. Will this presumably go away as they age? I know my albino Kenyan sand boa was like this and then one day the snake Valium apparently hit and he's chill as gently caress.

Maybe. Of all mine about half still puff a bit when they're disturbed, and one of my males was mostly quiet up until the latter part of 2011 when he developed an attitude. Most of them still at least give me a grumpy puff or two when they're picked up.

Edit- my group tends towards younger, though, most of them are sub 30 grams. The 2 adult females puff still but don't hood, and the adult male stops just short of mouth gaping and playing dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMr3MVAryFc

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 7, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

OneTwentySix posted:

If you're ever in South Carolina for some reason and feel like going out for salamanders, feel free to message me. Or anyone else in the thread, really. I'm going out for four-toed salamanders in April, I'm hoping to go herping in the Francis Marion near Charleston in March if I can raise some money, and I'm overdue for a trip to the Congaree near Columbia for dwarf waterdogs and whatever other aquatics turn up.

Big Centipede posted:

I actually live in Savannah Ga, just over the bridge from SC. We may just need to go herping some time.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I plan on passing through SC in March to go camping. So if you make any plans to go herping, please tell me. I'd love to get in on that.

I'm in Columbia, totally down for being your Congaree expedition's photographer

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You may have to also present It from A business perspective: There's no way in hell you can maintain live mice cheaper than a stocked freezer. Besides that, Malalol is on point: they will stink like the bowels of a violent murine hell.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Since everyone else is talkin eggs

Anery hondurans :toot:

Wish my male hognose would figure out how babby is formed.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Since everyone else is talkin eggs

Anery hondurans :toot:

Wish my male hognose would figure out how babby is formed.

fffffffff :supaburn:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tha heck is going on with my egg guys :pwn:

Edit: This clutch is about 25 days old, kept 82ish. Humidity should be fine as there's plenty of moisture in the perlite

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 29, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Big Centipede posted:

So, no one is going to the Columbia SC Repticon show?

I wish I was, I need mice like whoa. Eight hours away though :sigh:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fraction posted:

My friend recently got a bearded dragon, who is about a year and a half, from Pets At Home (he'd been there the entire time, and was pretty well looked after because the staff doted on him). They're having trouble getting him to eat his greens though, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

They've tried:

At the moment they're just gut-loading the bugs, but that probably isn't the best for longterm.

I'm not sure if a year and a half is too old, but beardies are known for being way more (if not exclusively) insectivorous when they're young.

Hood Ornament posted:

Atmus posted:

I n't have any pics handy, because I don't remember where I saw this particular one. I've kind of been looking everywhere google would spit out for the past few days.

As a side note, I really wish people would come up with better names for their patterns. I don't think I could do much better, but 'creamsicle' and 'citronella' are ridiculous.
You haven't explored the world of Corn or Ball Python morph names yet, have you?

Or retic morphs :geno:

Edit:
Mex mex appreciation station

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cowslips Warren posted:

Soooooooooo has anyone here made their own snake rack? Are there perks to using one of these outside of space issues?

Racks are incredibly convenient if you have more than a couple critters, but personally I'm skeptical about building one over buying unless you have a workshop and enjoy that kind of project.

Besides less space you get the benefit of very consistent and very low wattage heating, easier cleaning.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

To add a bit on the display issue, my strategy is going to be getting really slick enclosures for the stars of my collection. I'd rather have (for example) a couple impressive acrylic displays for my nicest hoggies than the walls lined with aquaria any day.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Big Centipede posted:

The only thing that sucks about hoggies as display animals is that they're hidden most of the time. The best display animals I've had have been rosy boas and African house snakes. They get really bold once they're used to people looking in on them.

Yeah, it's true, but such is the niche I'm in. If I wasn't worried about being evicted I'd put my colossal bitch of a bullsnake in my living room in really nice digs.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Big Centipede posted:

I loving love bullsnakes. They're so underrated and they have such awesome personalities. It's hard to think of another North American snake with a morph as nice looking as a hypo Stillwater bull.

Yeah I like Stillwaters a ton but I got so tired of breeders trying to pass off random hypos and normal 'het Stillwater' that I got a snow girl. She's about 2' now and definitely still a snappy poo poo.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I hate Fauna Classifieds for a variety of reasons, but they have a feedback forum meant for outing this sort of thing. You might check there and see if there's a thread for that dealer and add your own story.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Devo posted:

Can someone link me to a decent thermometer? I'm still using the stick-on one that my local pet store gave me when I bought my leopard gecko setup. My wife bought some new bulbs yesterday and I'm afraid they're running a little too hot. I'm going back to the pet store today to buy some fixtures with dimmer switches but it would be nice to have a point and shoot way to get some exact temperatures in different areas of the cage.

edit: Something like this?
This is what I have in the cage right now

A proper thermostat would be better, but that IR gadget is probably more accurate than any stick on one to the best of my knowledge.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Devo posted:

I was thinking the IR thermometers were the go-to gadget for some reason. So would this be better suited to my needs?

They are great if you want to measure but ideally you want a thermostat, which will control the heat source directly. Big Apple is a popular choice, I have one of my racks driven by their previous model.

You'll find cheaper thermostats (Looking at you, Zoomed :crossarms: ) won't have a temperature scale, only high-low adjustment. I tend to stay away from those for a couple reasons, first you need a separate thermometer to even know what it's set to, and second it says to me the manufacturer either doesn't calibrate them or they aren't consistent enough to put a scale on.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 28, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cless Alvein posted:

Argh! I can't decide between Cresties and Gargs, they're both just so awesome.(The correct answer is I will eventually end up with both!) but I dunno which one to start with. Help help! :(

Leachies :colbert: go big or go home.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It looks like Rodent Pro "may have had" an outbreak of a zoonotic disease (LCMV). http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334751

I called the CDC and they said they can't verify anything for legal reasons ( :confused: ), but urged me to check my records and toss any rodents purchased after 5/1/2012.

They'd get eaten alive in court for confirming something like while investigation is ongoing (especially if legal proceedings are likely to start), so it makes sense they're being guarded.

I'm glad I don't get live rodents from them but gently caress, I do have 100 bucks of their stuff from last weekend in the freezer.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

PowderKeg posted:

Not actually a 'pet' related question but maybe someone can advise...

I've been getting a little concerned about the slow increase of copperhead sightings around my yard lately (I live in western NC, there be coppers and timber rattlers here). The baby one I found in my house last night has me pretty freaked out and researching up and down for solutions. Conventional advice aside (no woodpiles, thin out vegetation), I hear having a kingsnake or two in the yard will help quite a bit with this. This is the local species. So is it feasible to buy a young one or two and release them?

Understand I'm not saying this to be insulting, but drawing on all my western NC snaking experience I'm obligated to ask if you're sure it was a copperhead?

In any case fixing cracks around your doors and windows, and basement entrances if you have one, will help keep them out of the house. As far as numbers, Big Centipede is right on the money. At worst the heat might be disrupting their movement habits some causing you to come across more.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Big Centipede posted:

I know a guy that once found a young copperhead eating a cicada. Doesn't have much to do with the conversation, but it's interesting.

Someone in critter quest posted a black racer cowing down on a water snake hatchie, I never would have thought i'd see that.

Saturniid19 posted:

My western hognose has had mites for about six months now and my latest attempt to get rid of them has been unsuccessful. She is my only snake, although I work with others at both of my jobs. My method has gone like this:

Remove snake
Soak snake in water
Throw out substrate (aspen)
Wash out tank
Take tank outside
Seal tank with plastic wrap
Set tank in sun for a few hours (it's been over 90 F here)
Treat snake's head with mineral oil
Keep snake in separate container with paper towel bedding for a few weeks.

I put her back in the tank a few days ago after she shed and today I found another mite in her water dish. I'm trying not to use pesticides because I also keep tarantulas, but I also don't want this to be a chronic problem. She'll be brumating in a few months and I doubt having her blood sucked out is going to help her stay healthy. She's about 11 months old and a foot long. Any suggestions?

Predatory mites, since you're rightly worried about chemicals.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Canned salmon was the magic scent for several of my stubborn feeders

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Beardies have keeled scalation and all the protuberances and stuff so they feel a lot different than say a skink, which are very snake like, or a gecko which is smooth and velvety.

In other news:

:neckbeard: This morning I have 5 noses and one already emerged. The grody looking egg top right and its neighbor top left haven't pipped. The ugly one is probably a goner but I'll open it sometime today anyway.

Edit:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 11, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I've seen those a billion times. Igs probably cost a quarter each from a big farm operation or something ,but yeah it's disgusting between their holding conditions and the fact that they're terrible pets anyway.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oughta use the retic as another object lesson about pet choice.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

hypnotoad posted:

gently caress. I'm a big blubbery mess. I woke up this morning and my hognose with the regurge problem had passed. Today was literally the week and a half mark that we were going to attempt to feed him a pinky. He'd been active and acting fine all week, although he started to look pretty crappy the past few days. But still, the fear of having him regurge again and cause more damage to him made me hold off feeding him until today. Goddamnit. gently caress, I loved that huffy puffy little bastard. I can't believe he went so goddamn quickly, from healthy and fat to gone in no time. I am bawling like a goddamn baby.

I can relate. I've lost one or two to feeding problems in the last couple of years and they didn't show any signs of being thin in the way I'd expect a less chunky species to look.

If decide you're interested in getting another shoot me a PM or something and I'll help turn up one that's a stronger feeder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cowslips Warren posted:

We had one of those legless lizards at the zoo I used to work at; apparently it was one of the most nasty reptiles in the building, comparable only to the dwarf crocs and the Burm donation who almost broke down the exhibit door to strike at a volunteer.

The reptile rescue in Raleigh, NC has one they named "Hate Sausage"

• Locked thread