Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

GCOAP posted:

Me holding our Female Olive at an educational event

I really love Olive Pythons. Such a beautiful animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Anybody here keep Tentacle Snakes, Erpeton tentaculatum? I just discovered they existed today, and think they're kind of neat.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Fully aquatic, allow themselves to grow algae to protect from fungus, the neat tentacles, and mostly their feeding mechanism is really neat.

They hang around motionless until a fish drops by, and then move part of their body to convince the fish to swim in the wrong direction and straight to their mouth.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My 9" African Black Milli passed away a few months ago. The only possible cause I can figure is that I forgot to wash the pesticides off some food. I was usually really good at washing it's food, so it seems unlikely, but I can't think of anything else I could have done or did wrong. It was both the easiest and least exciting animal I've owned.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have most of a garbage bag filled with pesticide free Oak leaves. They're about two years old, but still perfectly fine. I'm not using them anymore. If anyone needs dry Oak leaves, let me know and I'll figure out what I'd have to charge for shipping (plus a couple of dollars extra because I'll have to get someone to drive me to the post office). I can probably cram about half of them into the boxes I have available, or all of them into a bigger box.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Shachi posted:

So yay/nay? Is he recoverable? Will he be able to thrive in captivity.

I'd say get it. Even if you can't provide a perfect environment for it, you'll be able to do far better than the current owner. Once you have it and are taking better care of it, you can look around for responsible Chameleon keepers willing to take it off your hands. Then you can use the supplies you bought for it to try keeping one of the easier Chameleons.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Superconsndar posted:

So reptile goons

How much of a mistake would I be making if took in an unwanted 3 month old redtail boa baby

A very small one. Does it come with any supplies? Are there any excellent forums with an excellent reptile thread where you can ask question? Can you afford a vet visit for it?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I love Fox News.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You can just heat up the ice pick or heat the tip of a lovely screwdriver and use that to poke holes.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

So my friend has a male Red Eared Slider. She is wondering if it would be a bad thing to have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in the tank as a clean up crew. Would the turtle try to eat them and become impacted or something?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

So my friend has a male Red Eared Slider. She is wondering if it would be a bad thing to have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in the tank as a clean up crew. Would the turtle try to eat them and become impacted or something?

Anyone got an answer to this?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

I don't know for sure, but if it's a healthy turtle, an occasional snail souldn't hurt.

MTS only get to about 1/2-3/4", and have extremely solid cone shaped shells. You can't feed them to puffers, for example.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

platedlizard posted:

Hi guys! Guess what time of year it is in my house!

That's right, breeding season.

I was vacuuming when Radar decided to run up my leg and bite me, fortunately he just got my jeans, not me, which is why I grabbed the camera instead of freaking out. His head's a bit blurry because he was shaking it.

Radar's now on lockdown for the next month because I really don't want a trip to the ER to get stitched up when he gets frustrated at me. He's going nuts because he wants out and I do feel bad for him, but I don't want to risk it. In a few weeks I'll start letting him out again and monitor his behavior. His cage gets cleaned when he's not active, like at night after lights out. While he doesn't do this every year, its happened often enough that I know how to handle his breeding related aggression. poo poo like this is why I get really pissed off when I see baby iguanas being sold to kids and inexperienced people, an adult male iguana can lay you right open quite easily.

Since I realize getting an Iguana is an awful idea for me, I have to live vicariously through others. Can you post some more pics of him for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

A two-headed salamander:
http://io9.com/this-two-headed-israeli-salamander-is-kind-of-freaking-1670397458

Super cute.

• Locked thread