Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
I went to Repticon in Orlando a few weeks ago and I took a bunch of pictures.

I tried not to focus too much on ball pythons (even though I love them) but they were all over the drat place. I ended up getting a lovely 3' male pinstripe bp from Joe Rollo (BCI Joe). He hasn't been keen on f/t but he eagerly snaps up live mice.

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking of balls....how good is their memory?

I ask because our female spider ball, Crackle, went from a decent and docile snake until last year, when her clutch of eggs went bad, and we had to remove them. Since then she has turned aggressive, to the point she has struck at me through the glass, several times, and can only be handled with a snake hook and gloves. The drat snake isn't even four feet long and acts like she's a loving Burmese python at 20 feet.

Part of me wonders if she remembers my smell from taking her eggs; she did hunt for them for a while after they were gone.

I'm not sure about their memory, but it seems to me that your smell would be so ubiquitous that she wouldn't specifically associate it with having her eggs being taken away. You could try upping her prey size, if possible; I've heard that can curb aggression in ball pythons.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

So I was poking around on craigslist this morning and I saw this ad for ball pythons. :wtc:

quote:

Hey cl I have three ball pythons two r sinimon nd the othe one is a regular python the two adults are breeders so for any more ?? Txt me at ###

Only registered members can see post attachments!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Malalol posted:

maybe im not seeing it correctly, but are ball pythons normally THAT long??? it looks huge..as opposed to girthy..the one on the bottom front

Ball pythons normally only get 5-6 feet long, though I've seen a few monster females that had to be well over 6. I think those ones just look weirdly long because they're not as fat as they should be.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

What morph is Datura? She's so pretty. :swoon:

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Do any of you use racks? I've been thinking about ordering an RBI sweaterbox rack with back heat, since I'm short on space and sick of dealing with glass tanks, but I'd love to hear any opinions on different brands or racks in general.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Please don't think you're a nuisance, Saint Seafoam. Your enthusiasm is great.

Are corns really nocturnal, though? Some people say they're diurnal, others say they're active whenever the hell they feel like it. Occasionally I do see wild red and yellow ones roaming around outside during the day. Either way, though, yeah, just cover up the tank. I use a little throw blanket.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ball pythons are great, I love my chubby puppy-face snakes. :3: I keep mine in a Dragons4You rack now but I started with a 20 gallon long tank and I still use it for quarantining new snakes. Zilla stuff is generally better quality than Exoterra, at least in my experience and from what I've read. Ultratherm has good reviews for their heat pads too, but they're more expensive and harder to find.

Definitely go with an under tank heat pad instead of a light, but be careful because they can get too hot, even through a thick layer of substrate. For my tank I use a Zilla heat pad hooked up to a plug-in lamp dimmer to allow me to adjust it. I monitor the temp by using an AcuRite thermometer with a probe that I picked up at Walmart for about $12. The probe has a little sticky pad so I stuck it on the inside of the tank, right over the heat pad, under the substrate.

Here's my newest ball python, a young ivory male that I picked up at Repticon Orlando last weekend.

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 12, 2013

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Well, poo poo. I moved my mouse colony from their 16qt tub into my 20g quarantine tank, because I wasn't using the tank and the mice were growing fast and getting way too crowded in the tub. I forgot to remove the aluminum foil I used to cover up part of the screen lid, to help keep in the heat when I had snakes in it. Of course the drat mice pulled it down and ate most of it overnight, despite having plenty of food and chew sticks. Now I have like 10 mice that I have no idea what to do with because I'm afraid to feed them to my snakes.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Rita's really pretty! Is she a granite morph?

Speaking of ball pythons, I have 6 eggs in the incubator right now from a pinstripe x yellowbelly pairing. They're on day 34, looking good so far.

Edit: Sorry for table breaking, the post looked fine on the Awful app. :doh:

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 22, 2014

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ramsus posted:

Got a ball python today. Named it Thulsa Doom.

You should post a picture!

In fact, you should all should post more pictures. I love looking at everyone's awesome herps. :allears:

Edit: To contribute, here's my newest ball python. She's a butter and possibly a specter too.

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 22, 2014

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Baby snakes go good.....but only one has shed. Oddly enough one who hasn't (named hellsing for now, his dad is Dracula and mom Luna.) has eaten!

I had a clutch of ball pythons hatch at the end of June, and I still have 5/6 of them. I found it interesting that they all eat on the same schedule, but they shed (and grow) at different rates.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Any ideas how to get this little fucker to eat before I start assist feeding?

Be patient with them. Assist feeding is an absolute last resort. And for me at least, gerbils and ASFs are the second-to-last resort, because they're expensive and/or hard for me to find and I don't want to breed them. (My colony of rats is annoying enough.) You'll go crazy if you let a bunch of BP hatchlings dictate their own diet, anyway.

You might actually be confusing them with too much scent variety. I've noticed with mine that if I switch prey (live to frozen, mice to rats, even trying a new size or source) that my pickier or younger snakes might refuse on the first few tries before they resume regular feeding. It seems like a new scent throws some of them off.

I've also read that some people have had better luck with feeding by placing live rodents in their reptile room for a while before feeding. The idea is that the snakes catch the scent and have time to build up anticipation, instead of just suddenly having prey jammed in their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Silver Nitrate, can we get an update on your boa? (What species is that anyway? Ground boa?) I've never had to resort to slurry feeding so I'm curious about how that's been working out for you.

• Locked thread