Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

roomforthetuna posted:

Yeah, I was shocked to find that 'Smart' cars are almost less fuel efficient than lumpy things like Nissan Cubes / Kia Souls - I thought the whole point of them was efficiency, but apparently it's actually "being cute/impractical" instead. Also more expensive to buy, so that's both the reasonable justifications for calling it "Smart" gone.

It depends on where you are doing your driving. They're good 100% slow speed, stop start city but any type of medium-high speed running ruins the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Phone posted:

In the US it's...

Smart Fortwo: 12490, 34/38 MPG
Kia Soul: 13900, 27/35 MPG
Nissan Cube: 14980, 27/31 MPG

I've actually heard that the Smart gets worse gas mileage than advertised.

Exactly - 34 is a lot better than 27.

Remember its a city car designed to stay in the city so highway mileage is not exactly relevant - if you're worried about the highway numbers its the wrong car to be looking at anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I get your point and agree the Smart doesn't make a lot of sense in North America.

That said in the conditions it is actually designed for (which don't necessarily exist in North America) it does get significantly better mileage than the other cars mentioned.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fordan posted:

Pretty much every hybrid I'm aware of uses both ICE and electric simultaneously when hard accelerating, but it doesn't make it a fast process. If you are aware of fast hybrids, I'd love to hear which. My Prius certainly isn't. It's not terrible, but it's far from quick and fun to drive.

You could grab an old Lexus GS450h, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a hybrid in the first place...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

On coarse seal road surfaces I can't hear the petrol engine in my car at all, it's easily drowned out by tyre noise.

This is pretty typical, it's only on really low geared cars like my mum's Suzuki Swift that engine becomes at all noticeable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

It's really wind noise more than road noise, I think.

Depends on the road surface and tyres in use.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

eyebeem posted:

The only gauge I need is a single warning light that illuminates when there is a danger to my manifold.

?

MrYenko posted:

I'm pretty tall, and I have yet to find a current production vehicle in which I can see the speedometer with the seat and steering wheel adjusted for comfort. The steering wheel blocks it out on everything I've driven made after ~2000.

Do you have no legs? I don't see how it'd be possible to adjust the wheel down enough on my car to block the speedo and still manage to actually get into the seat

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

The big problem with series hybrid trucks would be weight. You lose the 20% economy gain when you have to put 2 trucks on the road to do the work of 1. With a train you want the engine to weigh as much as possible, and can throw as much weight as you want behind it. A truck has to carry a portion of the weight of the load, an the entire combination is limited to 80,000lbs in the states.

That seems really light, even in the UK you get 44 tonne trucks

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ola posted:

Does the US have regulation on driving time? In Norway, a truck driver has to take a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours of driving, plus a whole bunch more complicated rules about how many hours rest per week etc. It leaves plenty of time for long haul charging.

I doubt you'd be getting much charger into a giant semi truck battery in 45 minutes

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

It does so while looking like a cheap compact,

And a Golf doesn't?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

They are ugly. They are impractical. They are riddled with problems. WHY the gently caress does Tesla insist on pursuing this tragedy?

It's a point of difference, same as their lovely interior layouts

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Why would you use a glossy panel on the screen?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Honestly, with the exception of the buttons behind the shifter being difficult to get to (but they aren't buttons you hit often), the C-Max interior is a pretty nice place to be. The surfaces are all decent, fit and finish is good, and it's not overly busy like a Honda interior.

Hmm, guess your definition of 'not busy' is different to mine.

Ford really needs to poach some interior people from Mazda - the difference between a Focus and a 3 or an Escape and a CX-5 is just stark when they're on the same lot parked next to each other

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

They have UX people at least. I gently yelled at one of them about the 5.0 (I think) update.

I wonder how much telemetry they have going on to back up their design decisions? That's how MS came up with Windows 8 after all

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ola posted:

So even though it's fair that EVs pay taxes, it stinks of punitive pricing where the good old boys want to make sure the hippie homobiles get beaten down.

In New Zealand EVs are currently exempt from paying road user charges (which is a per KM charge non petrol vehicles normally pay instead of being taxed on the fuel itself) until they make up 2% of the fleet.

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens once that threshold is reached.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ripoff posted:

Oddly, I've also had people also ask if batteries are safe, which is weird as hell considering there's a quite a few gallons of flammable liquid sitting in the center or back of your car. :v:

I don't think that part is too odd given all the publicity exploding cellphones and laptops have got recently, and also that post crash testing Volt fire.

Regardless of the answer it's a reasonable question to be asking.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Not plugging your EV in at night is not really equivalent, because even if there is a fire hazard it's not right next to where you sleep.

Depends on where your garage is

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah people seem to miss the positives and focus only on the negatives.

It does depend on your parking situation though - if you don't have a suitable area, or your car is stuck out on the street it can be a pain in the arse

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What are the chances the Model 3 is going to be any better with regard to interior and build quality?

The S and X certainly don’t leave me hopeful

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The exterior styling is good now? Maybe compared to a Bolt or new Prius I guess you could say that but only comparatively.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Regardless it'd be an extremely bad time to buy right now so I'm not surprised at the Bolt dipping

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

Making comments that amount to the Bolt's interior being better than any Tesla interior is A. an opinion & B. somewhat of a provocative one he's treating as objectively right.

It’s not really though - Tesla’s in general are known for poor interiors.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm just going to assume they'll use a less reflective screen in production version because man that looks bad.

Also 'piano black' plastics are the bane of my existence - who thought such an easily damaged fingerprint magnet had any place in a car interior.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

‘Real’ leather varies in quality too though so I don’t see that it makes a lot of difference.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Uhhh yeah that image is both extremely hilarious and extremely worrying. The important bit of information is smaller and less noticeable than Mr. Bean's head.

You won’t care though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The 3 series is pretty much the definition of a mass market car - they sell hundreds of thousands of them a year

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

McStephenson posted:

My wife and I are bougie and have two base level black hatchbacks (a 2012 focus and a 2013 golf), so we want to trade one in and get a leaf and have one ICE car for when we need to go more than 150 miles in one go.

Sounds like we are on the same page, dude.

Similar situation here except we have two Mazda 3s, a 2016 which we’ll keep and a 2005 which I’d like to replace.

The difference is I think we can get away with a cheap first gen Leaf because even assuming the battery is quite degraded we only have a 30km round trip commute to deal with.

Only problem is that my partner thinks the first gen is too ugly to consider which I think is a bit silly (sure it’s ugly but who cares on a pure commuter car).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I’d guess the battery itself is heavier

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I feel like we've been having this same conversation since the Leaf, Model S, and Volts first rolled out. It's always been "that's a cool EV/car/piece of engineering but it can't compete with the ease of filling up a tank of gas at the corner BP." And while that's true, it's also true that my local Kohls has two EV chargers outside and there's a nascent but real EV charging network in development. The change we've all been looking for is happening now. It's slow and there still isn't a Johnny Electron's station on every corner but it's happening.

I feel like this is missing the main appeal of an EV for me personally - that being the fact I'd never have to visit a petrol station (or charger that isn't at home) with it for my normal commuting use.

Being able to just plug the thing in to a wall socket in my garage is a huge plus in my books.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

[quote="“tvgm2”" post="“476904731”"]
Wouldn’t rain detection (once it’s actually working) alleviate the need for setting the wiper speed manually?
[/quote]

In theory. In practise I'd still want to be able to do that quickly from a physical control.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That makes more sense on a Volt than something like a Leaf IMO

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I don't want a model 3 anymore. Goddamn.

That's like saying I don't want a 318i anymore because a new M3 is coming out. Completely different markets.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

supervillain posted:

He wanted to call the Model 3 the Model E but Mercedes was going to sue him.

Given that it's more of a 3-series competitor anyway I don't see how 'Model 3' is going to go down any better

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I still don’t get why DRLs don’t also switch on the tail lamps - I see way too many Commodores and Toyotas with their over-bright DRLs only on in near dark conditions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

But maybe it's better for safety?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgxpGCib0PY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6BKlWD24YQ

Oops, nope, the Leaf completely fails the high speed small overlap test.

That’s because the design predates that test - no one was building for that back in 2010

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

Who is going to buy a Chevy spark 3 year lease return where the battery has severely degraded?

Will GM warranty a new battery? If they don’t, will someone be dumb enough to buy as is?

I could see these being the new subprime-mobiles in urban city centers with poor credit though.

Most of the EVs on the road in my part of the world are grey import Leafs from Japan, and some of them are 5+ years old now.

Even if the range is degraded a bit they can make excellent commuter cars for someone with a sane commute distance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Out of 12 I think.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the resale value argument is interesting because at a certain inflection point with a rare or desirable car weird colors become popular

eg an Interlagos blue E46 M3 fetches a better resale than a silver E46 M3 ceteris paribus

Sure but what about that snot yellow colour they also came in?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

SI don't see what is stopping an established player (VW) from just saying gently caress it, throwing down with staggering scale, technology and cash advantages.

VW has a huge incentive to do so as well - I think it's even part of their settlement agreement with the US government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

borkencode posted:

What specific technology forces the i3 to look the way it does?

Nothing, but the shape makes sense from a packaging perspective.

The Model S and 3 are designed to look like a normal car even though that isn't taking full advantage of how an electric drivetrain could be distributed - now this isn't exactly a bad thing as they certainly look a lot better than an i3 and that's important to many people

• Locked thread