Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Bolt is a terrible name for a car. It fits a motorcycle, in the case of Yamaha, but not a car, and especially not an electric car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Each wheel has at least one electric motor mechanically connected to it, with no way to disconnect, and without the car’s systems energised to manage the flow of electricity, bad things would happen.

Priuses can be towed with their real wheels on the ground because those freewheel.

Is this true? my wife's 2010 Prius manual says to flatbed it only.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyone know about any realistic reports for electric pickup trucks or other "haul poo poo around" vehicles? I know about the Workhorse plugin hybrid which I'm hoping will be sold to consumers. But its primary market is fleets.

Newswire has an article about a truck called the Havelaar Bison, dual motor, 186 mile range. Autoblog has pics. Havelaar's site

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Oops, the steering wheel blueprint was printed upside down.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

The impression I have of BMWs is that outside of warranty they are a crapshoot as to whether you will have a minimal maintenance DRIVING MACHINE, or a money pit. Does the i3's simplicity make for a much higher chance of long-term reliability, with BMW quality?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

gas thread ban everyone

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Here's a stupid question: Do you call under-the-hood of a FWD electric car the motor bay?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

edit I do not wanna be involved

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

If you can get a 4 door with forward sliding front doors too then we will laugh at every inconsiderate parker!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

A partnership between Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and Ecosystem Japan which aims to promote the use of clean energy to fuel the LEAF is offering new owners the option to get free installation of a home solar array, as well as a discount on an electricity plan called the "Daytime Assist Plan," and can end up owning the solar array after the end of the 20-year contract.

This sounds familiar. Aren't there already companies in North America that will do that (unaffiliated with vehicle manufacturers)?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Does the EV train have enough momentum to keep rolling regardless of Tesla? I don't personally give a poo poo about Tesla as a brand, but I feel that they are one of the biggest reasons EV interest is as high as it is right now. If they go under, and Teslas cease to exist, will other automakers continue the roll into full fleet electrification within my lifetime?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

:ms:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo, my Credit Union denied my loan for 55k, and countered with 30k citing "The last car loan I had was only for $13,000 (I paid half up front) and I only have 4 years of credit history instead of 5."

My qualifications:
- 780 Credit score
- No missed payments ever
- A job history of 10 years with no gaps (4 jobs though.)
- $120,000/year in gross income

I did some research and found http://alliantpromos.org/tesla
It's not updated, but I ended up getting approved within an hour, and they gave me 3.24%.

I am pretty sure at this point my credit union just saw a 32 year old who wanted a mildly expensive car and instantly denied me.

I guess 30 really is the new 20. What's risky about a 32 year old with a well-paying job and good credit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

Serious question for the haters, do you understand how big of a deal this is?

It's like, the most important thing. Nothing else matters if Tesla owners love the product, tell friends about it, stay loyal, buy Tesla's (which they are doing, in record numbers) and all that. The Iphone analogies are perfect in this case.

This is absolutely correct. People love their Teslas, even though they aren't perfect, because they know exactly what they have. Everyone knows Teslas are not nearly as tidily built as other cars at a similar price point, everyone knows there will be defects, but people still want to buy them because they are cool as all sweet hell. You could buy a Bolt and have a better constructed EV that is arguably just as good in many regards, but you'd be driving a Chevrolet and Chevrolet has decades of mediocrity and malaise behind them.

The most vehement Tesla haters really don't get it at all.

• Locked thread