Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

movax posted:

The (2011) Volt (or any EV in electric mode really, with no speaker) is a squirrel genocide machine. Hung out all weekend with a buddy who's a validation engineer testing new infotainment etc, and we probably killed half-dozen squirrels. They just don't hear the car coming and *squish*. Fun car to ride around in though!

Sadly, the newer Volts have speakers/emit noise, so they are less effective squirrel crushers. :eng99:

Also the bike-carrying Smart car with a bed at NAIAS was the funniest thing.

Actually I have a 2012 and the alert noise is still driver initiated, so squish away ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Lowclock posted:

Wait so not only can you turn it off, but you have to turn it on?

It's a button on the left side MFS, you press it and it makes a "chirping" sound, as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-v-pMxmHLE&t=59s

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a very faint sound and I think it probably comes from the transmission during the changeover from gas to electric when stopping. It's pretty audible on my dad's HS250h, but it sounds a lot like a lower-pitched Jetsons car. Bweep-weep weep weep.

I know what you're talking about, I'll bet it's the same on any Hybrid Synergy Drive because my Prius did it too.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

movax posted:

Ahh, gotcha. His is a weird hybrid of 2013/2014 electronics in a 2011 chassis, so I'm not entirely sure what belongs on what model.

The navigation software/UI is awful though, why couldn't they just have licensed Garmin or something :(

Yeah I already had TomTom on my phone so I wasn't going to get it anyway, but after seeing the demo it is definitely not worth the price.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Condo boards, the only thing worse than HOAs.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Sanders posted:

For road tax, personally I envision charging stations just like normal gas stations that will sell taxed electricity. Put a small tax on electricity at home too. Sure you might install solar power and avoid the gasoline or electric fueling station tax, avoid the home electricity tax, but a tax could still be applied to your solar panel or to your income tax.

But if you do manage to avoid the tax how much money is lost? Unless your unfortunate enough to live in California or New York, the average fuel tax is about 40 cents per gallon. I believe the average number of miles driven per year is a little less than 14,000 miles, assuming average mileage of 20mpg that (14,000/12months/20years X .40 cents per gallon) that is $23/month or $280 per year in lost road tax. Even if you double the number (drive more miles, get lovely mileage, live in CA or whatever) I don't feel that is a lot of tax money lost.

But above all, I believe most people are simply too lazy to invest in solar panels or brew their own bio-diesel or employ other such measures to avoid paying road tax.

Well when, or if, smart meters ever actually roll out it'll be dead simple to monitor which circuits are charging a car and tax accordingly.

Edit: Speaking of car charging, check it bitches:

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 27, 2012

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BonzoESC posted:

I think the papers you sign to get a Tesla include a clause that you must have a vanity plate that must be at least 800 milliClooneys of smug.

So what's the measurement on these? :smug:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

duz posted:

I went and did a thing this weekend.

It's only been two days, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Sup electric car buddy :cheers: Just curious, how much was your charger installation?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

duz posted:

:ssh: That's the 120v trickle charger. I have to get the good charger preapproved by the power company for them to pay for 50% of it.

Sweet, my co-op wouldn't pay for squat; although they did recommend an electrician that did an excellent job for way less than I thought it would cost.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I don't, then again I have a Volt. I do know a couple of other EV owners up here and they both have pickups for hauling/fishing/hunting etc.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Squibbles posted:

Ugh that plug-in Prius and the new plug-in Accord's EV range is so stupidly low. Why do they even bother.

It's good for the buyer because they get tax break, plus they get to feel good about having an electric car; it's good for Toyota because they can keep the price down by using a tiny battery pack, and it's good for dealers because the margins are much higher than on other EVs.

vvv It's a pretty big deal, IMHO if you're going to be running on gas regularly you'd probably be better off looking at a Cruze Eco or the Cruze Diesel. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 16, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MrYenko posted:

Being in South Florida was a big part of my purchasing decision. It would have been harder to justify in a part of the country that actually gets cold.

It really depends on your commute and driving habits even then. After two winters in Alaska, including the last one with -20 F days, we're still at a lifetime MPGe of 178 and have only driven 1488 miles on gas.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Michael Scott posted:

I was having a conversation about EVs and my friend brought up accident safety and electrocution. I imagine electricity from the battery is cut in the event of an accident, but there are probably still live high voltage wires running through the car somewhere. How do firefighters, for example, deal with extricating people differently from a gasoline car, and how is that taken into consideration in the design?

I hope to lord FSM that Tesla makes a lower priced model in the next decade ($15-30K). I would love for that to be my first car purchase. Pipe dream.

I know on the Volt they run the high voltage lines through areas that are rarely used for extraction, and every component of the high voltage system is sheathed in bright orange with highly visible stickers placed next to every exposed component. There's also a manual battery disconnect under the center console that physically isolates the battery from the rest of the system.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Powercube posted:

So, this morning I pull up to the one charger in my building a few seconds before a Chevy Volt.

The owner proceeds to start yelling at me for taking his charger as apparently he is "down to nothing". Even though I could see that he had a full tank of gas, me asking him how much gas he had seemed to make him more upset.

The best part, my building's charger is super expensive due to it being the only game in town. It's probably cheaper for him to stock up on premium gas on cheap days than to charge at ripoff central every morning.... Then never leave until work hours finish.

You have a charger at work? What kind of hippie fever dream is this? They won't even let me plug in my 120V charger to an outside plug.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Powercube posted:

Did they say it was a "fire hazard"?

No, they said it was because the company doesn't pay for other people's gas, so why should they pay for my electricity?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CharlesM posted:

Yeah I looked on Wikipedia and your climate isn't that cold. Looks like you have very modest summers too which is nice.

People don't realize how big Alaska is; our southernmost point is at the same latitude as Newcastle upon Tyne and our northernmost point is the same latitude as some of the most remote "cities" in Russia and Norway.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Goober Peas posted:

Ugh.

Was in the right most freeway lane, keeping pace with traffic and a family in a broburban came up behind me flashing lights and blowing horn. Passed me with daddy driver screaming "get off the road" through the window and giving me the finger.

That's the first time I've been raged for driving an EV.

Sounds about right, I get raged at when people will let me into traffic only to then notice that I'm driving a Volt with an OFA decal on it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hillridge posted:

Pulled the trigger on a Volt tonight!

Should be able to drive it home by the end of the week or Monday at the latest. Does anyone have recommendations on a 240V charger? The 120V one will work most of the time, but it would be easy to put a 240V high power one in my garage.

I highly recommend the Clipper Creek chargers, the basic unit costs $395 and an electrician should be able to install it in an hour or less.

http://www.clippercreek.com

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ExecuDork posted:

From the sounds of things, EVs are apparently already highly competitive with "normal cars".

Totally, it pains me everytime I have to rent a IC car.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hillridge posted:

I can't tell for sure on m Volt, but judging by the regen numbers shown, it looks like slight brake pedal pressure ups the regen amount. The window is small between that and applying normal brake pads though. Is this correct or am I making stuff up?

Also, for the L6-30 issue, just put in a new outlet. <$12 from amazon for one vs 2-3 times that to buy/build an adapter cable.

The window isn't huge, but it's enough that it only takes a week or so before you can reliably use the regen without engaging the pads. After two and a half years my front pads are at ~15mm and my rear are at ~13mm, at this rate they won't need to be replaced for another two and a half years.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I'm excited about the Model 3 but only if they get rid of the stupid 17" touch display as the center stack. That thing is awful, on my test drive it turned me completely off.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sanchez posted:

I think it's dangerous to make drivers use controls they actually have to look at while driving, knobs/buttons are much better for common functions. Doesn't it take multiple taps just to unlock the doors? I'm sure it kills your night vision as well.

That's my primary complaint as well. I don't fiddle with the knobs a lot while I'm driving, but if I need to I don't want it to be unnecessarily complicated.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Elephanthead posted:

It is more like sacrificing battery life by not installing active cooling in order to meet a low price point and still sell them nationwide.

This is part of why I choose the Volt over the Leaf, true the range is half but i rarely use it all.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hillridge posted:

I'm surprised at how often my Volt kicks on the engine when it's really cold out (sub 20°F) even when I have a full charge. I gather it has to do with being more efficient for climate control, but I feel like I should be able to force EV only if I want to. Also cold temps murder battery range. I've lost an easy 10 miles since the first freeze. It comes back on warm days, so it's not like the heat+leaf issue.

Actually it's because since the car doesn't know how far you are going, so it runs the generator to keep the fluids from turing to sludge just in case you decide to drive 400 miles. I agree there should be an EV only mode switch, but GM doesn't want people to screw themselves and end up stranded.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

angryrobots posted:

Those of you with Volts, how often and for how long does the engine run itself, even if you don't need it?

My concern on the long term oil change intervals is not that the oil will go "bad", but that the engine will build up in condensation, especially if the run time cycles are short.

I have a 2012 model and mine performs engine maintenance every six weeks of non-use and runs about 10 minutes or so each time.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

This happens every few years or so, they'll be back as soon as the average is over $4 again.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Madurai posted:

Supercharging a Tesla on a hot day made it sound like it was attempting vertical takeoff, what with all the fans running.

Yeah it was about 80F here last week, 90F in the garage, and it triggered the battery cooling system on my car; I'd never heard it before.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Twerk from Home posted:

I didn't realize this, how well do the superchargers work in 100+ degree weather?

They work just fine, but they draw almost double power due to having to run the battery cooling system and charge at the same time.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

Isn't that mostly because all their revenue gets reinvested towards the goal of making cars that commoners like us can afford (such as with the $5 billion battery plant)?

Here's my problem with Tesla, they keep getting grants and tax breaks because the Model 3 is coming any day now! However it always seems to be just a year or two out, first it was 2016, then 2017 and now production should start in 2018. Not only that but I have no faith that the car won't start at $60,000 with higher end models going up to a few thousand less than the Model S since Tesla loves to give pricing with government incentives and "fuel savings" factored in. That said, I hope I am wrong, I really do; I hope they release the Model 3 at $35,000 sticker and I hope it's a huge success.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ilkhan posted:

Details on the Model X released/leaked.
Something like $132k starting price. Yikes.

3.8s 0-60 unless you pay $10k for ludicrous mode and 3.2s.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/01/tesla-model-x-pricing-specs/

They're going to get down to the Volt's price range any day now. Yep, any day.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Thwomp posted:

Which according to Musk himself , the Model 3 production is due for 2017 so long as the Gigafactory comes online as expected. Elon quoted further saying the Model 3 reveal will come in March (followed shortly afterwards by preorders) and they are still targetting $35k.

Yeah but is that $35k as in sticker or $35k after tax rebate and "fuel savings"?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sanchez posted:

Probably the latter, but that'll be cheap enough for a lot of people. If it's 200 miles for 40-50k before incentives and isn't rear end ugly like the Bolt I'd probably buy one.

I don't know I think the Bolt is cute, then again I'm one of like three people in the world who like the look of the i3.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, now I'm worried idiots are just gonna have their autopilot on in the wrong places and just ram into me

You can't call something autopilot, talk about how it's a better driver than a human and then go "Oh, but only use it in one particular circumstance and we're not responsible for what happens."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

....but that is exactly how Aircraft Autopilot works. It'll hold course and follow waypoints, but its not a pilot replacement.

Yes but people don't know that. It's like Siri, I know that it's just a speech to text frontend but people think it's an AI and talk to it as such.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Subjunctive posted:

Where are they saying it's a better driver than a human? That's bullshit, ugh.

It was literally every story from last week, Tesla may not have said it themselves but they allowed it to be inferred.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Subjunctive posted:

Everything I've seen from them, including in the car, has said that it's to assist a driver, and that the driver still needs to be aware and in control. I dunno how they could keep the press from running the "self-driving car" headlines, though, that poo poo is great clickbait. It's the philosophy of adaptive cruise control applied to the steering wheel, anyone reporting on it can trivially figure out that it's not autonomous.

(I've been on the wrong side of "allowed it to be inferred" with the press myself, so I have some sympathy. I'd be pissed if they implied it in what they've said, though.)

Oh I know, believe me I have no love for new media journalism in general and the tech press in particular.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

I'm changing my vote: Apple's project is doomed.

Perhaps Apple will do the Apple thing and build a car without any automation, then when everyone else has worked out the bugs they leapfrog them to the next level.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

Some idiot fired up the Model S autopilot and climbed into the back seat:

http://bgr.com/2015/11/09/tesla-autopilot-video/

In response to all the videos of people doing drat near everything they said not to, Tesla has announced plans to limit when the autopilot can be engaged (now word yet as to how).

Some of the Alpine in-dash navigation systems actually have that feature, though that may be just for handling temporary signal loss (say, in a tunnel). The high quality IMUs used to actually enhance GPS data cost thousands of dollars (though that may just be due to low volume production).

I love Tesla's feigned naiveté, what did they think was going to happen? All of the valley, including Tesla, has been banging on about self driving cars for years. You can't then roll out something called "autopilot" and expect people to understand that everything you've been saying is bullshit.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

And if you believe the real price will come in under $90,000, I have a bridge to sell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

You mean schedule your charging to take advantage of off-peak rates? I could've sworn the Volt had that feature.

It does:

• Locked thread