Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OldPueblo posted:

Ugh I still can't decide on a color for the M3, and my invite will probably be hitting in a month'ish since my slot has been bumped twice. I was pretty set on white but then I saw a white one in person here in AZ and for some reason it just didn't grab me. Does anyone know of any good color picture comparisons, hopefully that have different angles and lighting? Other than this one which doesn't seem to help me choose. :(

Also my RN number is lower than yours, you stink. :argh:

Everything but red & blue there are boring rental car colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

Hot takes, pick one

A) and yet that guy fell asleep at the wheel
B) and yet Tesla did nothing about it

Sometimes when I roast coffee I lose track of time and accidentally miss the part when I want to dump the seeds out of the roaster and get 'em a little darker than what I prefer. The only reason that doesn't happen when I drive is because my car can't even shift its own gears, let alone steer itself. That Tesla has built, marketed, and sold a system that requires constant attention while you do a similarly boring safety-critical task is irresponsible to say the least.

Yeah the victim knew that part of his commute was problematic in that way but he's only human.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Love to combine the quality of British electrics with a carmaker getting into electric vehicles for the first time.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

McStephenson posted:

Haha, fun old joke bout British electrics, but I doubt any Lucas electrics get close to this and the Leyland strike of the 70s is... like... almost 50 years in the past

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-jaguar-xe-long-term-test-update-review posted:

Also, back in late August, we noticed that the left-rear turn signal wasn’t working. But apparently making an appointment with the dealer was all we needed to do to fix the problem because the following morning the flasher was working just fine. Similarly, the tire-pressure-monitoring system went awry, signaling a fault when all the tires were actually doing just fine, for once. Then the fault light went out, all on its own.

The buggy infotainment system plagued the car for months before we were able to get the unit replaced and the software upgraded under warranty. Even afterward, it takes forever to boot up, and we have experienced intermittent crashes. We mentioned that it’s winter here, but did we explain that the seat-heater controls are accessible only through the center touchscreen?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I am the one guy that bought a Lexus LFA in the last 2 years whatever that is.

Lexus supercar, they only made a few hundred.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Seems reasonable for Mobileye to worry about liability in Autopilot-fucks-up cases.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spandexcajun posted:

I know some people argue that it should have never been an issue in the first place, but this does not seem to me to be a good faith argument. All vehicle manufacures are going to encounter problems, OTA updates are a much better way to fix them IMO.

Which other vehicle manufacturers have sold a four-door that degrades to shittier braking than an F-150 after you do a panic stop once?

OTA updates are cool but using them to get away with shipping a vehicle with dangerous problems is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

So dangerous that nobody noticed in almost a year and only appears after multiple panic stops?

It's entirely possible that OTA updates or some other process reset the brake failure, and that nobody's both had a bad enough couple drives where they had to panic stop twice, had it gently caress up the second time, and made the connection that it's defective software being shipped on their new $40k electric car made by daddy Elon himself.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tyrgle isn't wrong. It'd be possible to build in separate, airgapped computer systems, but it'd be more expensive.

But also fuckin' :lol: at certifying software. Certified software is incredibly expensive to write; as I understand it you pretty much have to prove that it has well-defined and acceptable behavior under every possible execution path, and proving poo poo about software is a nightmare.

On the other hand, ABS systems mostly need tuning per chassis, and not ground-up reëngineering, so sane automakers buy the computer from Bosch, Continental, Denso, etc. instead of building their own that both can and needs over-the-air updates to fix massive failures that endanger occupants and bystanders.

• Locked thread