Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I could get an EV with 250 mi 10 degree F range, and it was no more than a 20% premium over a similar car, I would probably jump on it.

The question is, how long is it going to take for that level of EV price/performance to become a reality?

I'll be honest with you, this seems like a thinly veiled attempt to get this thread back on the range discussion topic. To give you an honest answer to your question, probably several decades from now, so you're going to have to sit tight.

Novex posted:

I think on top of fast charging systems we'll start to see energy storage added to houses. Right now, charging an EV is limited to however many hours the car is parked multiplied by the voltage and amperage of the service. There's no reason a battery or capacitor bank couldn't be added to a home to allow for a 110 or 220 service to charge a battery or capacitor bank 24 hours a day and drive a higher voltage charging station.

This was from last thread but I just wanted to point out this struck me as a really good idea. Let the battery station trickle charge when not needed and then it can do the fast charge on the EV when it gets plugged in. Bonus would be that if the power goes out you could feed off the battery station for the house. They are trying to enable this for Nissan Leaf in Japan where the Leaf's battery's could be used to supply the house with electricity in times of long power outages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Which is precisely why nobody does this comparison with the Tesla Model S, because it is comparable in every way to other ~$70-110k sedans

I disagree. The Tesla's interior is way down on the button quota that lets you know you're driving a luxury car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't think I've ever read a post where someone got poo poo on so thoroughly. It was beautiful.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm normally very pro BEV's but I want to say you raised some excellent points.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think absent the revelation that Broder was purposefully sandbagging the car, which he doesn't seem to be doing, I think it's a lose for Tesla. The purpose of the test is to see how the car would function in a real world driving conditions: from Washington DC to Boston; which is a typical trip and one which even the most lovely econobox could handle with absolute ease. At the end of the day, the Tesla S at this point doesn't compare favorably to the hypothetical econobox because of range degradation in the cold (which is a serious issue in cold climates such as the MidAtlantic/New England). Also, it seems like a real pain in the rear end as compared to a conventional car.

Here's the thing though. I've looked at the numbers and had the posted in the last thread before it got gassed. There's a sizable chunk of the population that electric cars work for. We're talking people that own their own home, a home that is a single family detached house. With more than two people of driving age live there. I think there's something like 1.9 cars per 1.8 drivers, so each of these two driver person households will have two cars at least. And more than likely one of them drives 30 miles per day for most days of the month. That's everything you need to make an electric car work, especially one like a Model S which has range comparable to my ICE car, which can only go 250 to 275 miles on a tank. Plus I don't have a gas pump at home I can feel up with at night.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

InterceptorV8 posted:

I like how one of them took a cross country trip and took to refilling his car at RV parks. And even he had issues with a cross county trip and he is an engineer. I also find it a bit odd that it took them 10 days to get from Portland to NOLA, a speed even slower than my father in his 1944 Willys Jeep with a 4 banging flathead in it. Still it's rather neat to see them working all the bugs out. Also did you know the first car to win a race in the US was electric?

People can't get over the whole range stigma with electric cars. Honestly 120 mile range should be more than enough to make an electric vehicle capable of meeting a LARGE portion of people's driving need 90 to 95% of the time. For the other times when the 120 mile range won't work for these people then it's easy to have another car available to fill in the gap. So what one of the Model S has problems getting across the country? That's not what an ev was designed to do. EV's are designed to meeting a large chunk of the population's driving needs MOST of the time with as little maintenance as possible while being better for the environment. And frankly, the Leaf, the roadster, and Model S all have the range to accomplish that mission.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Excelent points. Yeah I don't know where I had it in my head that the range on the Leaf was 120 miles, so I got that one wrong. But a sizable portion of people drive very few miles a day. For instance I usually drive back and forth to work which is a 20 mile round trip, with most of errands along that route. So a Leaf would be perfect for me. I don't have the NIST omnibus stats with me, but I do believe they said a large group of the population that does drive themselves to work have a same or slightly more commute range than me. Maybe not the majority but well over a couple of million people.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

General_Failure posted:

Maintaining a separate car for longer trips probably isn't an option for many people. It has to be stored, maintained still, purchased and registered / insured. That probably wouldn't be very popular at all over here in Australia, considering many of us probably pay $1000 a year to register a vehicle give or take. I'll just ignore the fact that I've never seen an EV recharge station ever as that pretty much nullifies everything anyway because where the hell could you recharge it besides home?,

Yes it is. Here in the US there's 1.9 cars for every 1.8 drivers. A huge swath of drivers live in households where they aren't the only driver, so they don't have the only car. Plus, every car will have compromises. I don't haul furniture in my sports, I won't make long trips in my EV. Worse case scenario, rent a car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

I thought I'd venture into AI today and see if there was any electric discussion and was happy to see a dedicated thread! I've been driving pure electrics for about 3 years and around 40k miles or so. I own a 2010 Tesla Roadster 2.5, a 2012 Nissan Leaf and a 2012 Tesla Model S 85kw. Let me know if you have any questions about my experiences!

Edit: I also drove from San Diego to San Francisco and back last month in the Model S with very little inconvenience!

What would you say to all the naysayers that say electric vehicles don't make sense, aren't ready yet, too little range, etc?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Yup. The Tesla and SpaceX battery packs fight that by having smaller cells, which means more surface area for heat to be conducted away from the battery chemistry to the metal casing, which conducts the heat away like a heat sink. The Dreamliner's used larger cells for the weight efficiency (which is also why they went Li-ion), which is a reasonable tradeoff to make for an airplane part. Dragging an extra few hundred pounds of battery up to 40,000 feet once a day is an entirely different matter than having a few extra pounds inches off the ground like on the Model S.

But what about when they're taking those extra pound up into SPACE? You forgot that part in your comparison.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mortanis posted:

He wants an EV, but it's the same old story - slow charging is great for most things, but you're never going to hit market until you can get it to people that don't need to change their lifestyles to accommodate.

There's a large swath of people out there who's 99-95 percentile of driving is handled by the ranges of Nissan Leaf. The key is people don't have to change their lifestyles to use electric cars. I think electric car makers need to do a better job at educating people about that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What really makes me sad is the fact that Better Place got the whole ev refill problem solved, it just didn't catch on. Now the company is going under. I wonder if Model S supercharger stations will someday have automated battery swap stations as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

http://jalopnik.com/a-third-tesla-model-s-has-caught-fire-1460039546

Jalopnik has posted their third article on a Tesla Model S catching fire. I know I'm a Tesla fanboy, and Jalopnik has a hard-on against Tesla, but is three of them catching fire with as many Model S out there this big of a deal? I feel like if this had been 3 Audi's or BMW 7 series cars with the same production numbers catching fire there wound not be an article for each. individual. fire.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Time to buy stock if the price is going down.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Take a page out of motorcyclist book. Get your self a heated jacket or vest that has its own batter. :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Advent Horizon posted:

I want to emphasize that. I have plenty of range for my needs. I just think it's funny that it suggests such things.

Ohhh that's what you were getting at. I gotcha now. In that case you tell that busybody to mind its business.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

gently caress if only I could get my effort post out of old thread. Did it get gassed or archived?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

http://transporter.kinja.com/did-somebody-invent-a-long-range-ev-solution-20-years-a-1470740436

Author just discovers the idea of the two behind trailer for EV's, acts like no one's discussed it in the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sanchez posted:

There are a few good posts on SA about leasing, I would recommend reading them all and understanding as much about lease specific terms (residual, money factor, capital cost reduction etc) as you can. You don't want to be that Altima guy.

Link to Altima guy please.

• Locked thread