Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't read much positive about the Fiskers besides their styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh nice, there was a thread here for monster trucks and I remember somebody posting about it as a work in progress at the time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Maybe they can buy the rights or whatever is needed to make that noise the Fisker does once that company finally goes under (if it hasn't already?).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nice wheels on that Leaf.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's pretty neat that there is a big push in Alaska, a place I wouldn't imagine it to be. To be fair though Juneau weather isn't really the barren white north that most people imagine when they think of Alaska, is it? Cold is bad for the batteries, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I looked on Wikipedia and your climate isn't that cold. Looks like you have very modest summers too which is nice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I know, I'm being a bit silly, but it's still a bit warmer than I expected. I guess it has to do with ocean currents. My brother's stupid ex lived in Ketchikan and talked about it like it was living in the wilderness or something. Most people imagine everyone in pickup trucks or igloos or something.

Going more off topic but I find Alaska fascinating in the aspect it's this huge state that you could spend your whole life exploring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

duz posted:

My custom plates arrived!

Apologies to whoever I stole that joke from.

I'm kinda surprised you were able to get that plate in Texas before anyone else, it being so huge and populous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

Long term, there are the batteries, there are the social ramifications of needing to charge for X hours at a time.. the fact that if the grid goes down, you are officially hosed (which is still incredibly common in remote or rural areas like, oh, say, Alaska), etc, etc, etc..

On a purely financial metric, it doesn't look bad. For real life..

Advent Horizon is in Juneau which is a huge city, and not like, you know, what everybody thinks of when they hear Alaska. :v:

I've seen a lot of Leafs here in Seattle and I'm surprised I don't see that many Volts. I think people are affluent enough here to have the Leaf as a second car or just don't do any roadtrips to where they'd like a longer range vehicle.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's the only metric that is going to sell EVs that are not Teslas. Teslas sell because by most accounts the Model S is an amazing car, and the customers that can afford them don't necessarily care all that much about the cost of ownership compared to the majority of the market.

edit: My friend says that the interior quality of the Tesla is not that great (panel gaps, button getting stuck on the showroom model, etc). Any thoughts on that? I haven't looked for myself besides a pre-production version which was pretty bad, but that was months before production started.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I forgot, is your car outside? Why would it drain that quickly?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if you could flash the software or add the Bluetooth audio module somehow. Sometimes stuff like that is possible and sometimes its not even that difficult.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Boten Anna posted:

The manual seems to indicate that the sv+ models have a different radio entirely. This is the base model radio:

Aww oh well. Funny story is on my Mazda to enable the trip computer which is supposed to only be on the GT I just had to hold down 3 buttons. :v: I know other cars have features that can be flashed / enabled but I don't know anything about the Leaf.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's probably that way for the same reason CVTs have simulated shift points. To keep people from being freaked out because it isn't the same as what they had before. Also I bet they want people to be sure to keep on the brakes at a red light for safety purposes.
I wonder if it's something the dealer can reprogram though eh?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a Tesla Roadster in my apartment parking garage with an Alaska plate! Kind of funny. They must charge at work, because there aren't any outlets here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also posted this pic in the AI thread....

I spotted this electric motorcycle and did a double-take as I went by. The owner saw me taking a picture and came over to say hi. It has a 50 mile range, while the newer models will be able to go longer.
Here is their website:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I got a little video of the long bus one morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9FmG_Sc8qg

(I wrote that Skyss was testing it, my bad)

I think electric buses, using both battery and overhead wires, in their own lanes is a great public transit option for the near future. Cheaper and better than light rail, a very good option for many cities.

Seattle's overhead trolley buses are over 30 years old, but they're finally getting new ones. I guess they put some of the propulsion systems into newer coaches a while back but something from 1979 just is too much to keep up.

New ones will have 3 miles of off-grid capability for going around accidents and construction and yay, A/C. We have the second largest system in the U.S. behind San Francisco. I'm glad we didn't switch to diesel. I think I read the electric buses are better at climbing the steep grades, too (which makes sense in SF also).

I don't know if they'll be as quiet as that one though, dang.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

Since when is word from 'sources close to the company' the same as 'Apple has confirmed'?

It might just be that I'm having trouble reading on my 'confirmed by sources close to Apple' TV.

They haven't, but they definitely have some kind of project going, having hired automotive engineers, making use of a local automotive testing area, & met with the CA DMV about autonomous vehicle regulations, etc. The Wall Street Journal is a pretty credible source too. Whether it will be a fruitful project is of course, questionable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

Of course, I've also heard that in 10 years you'll want the opposite, since it'll be a high-mile car with a near-new engine. So either way you should be fine.

Eh, who cares about having a high mileage gas motor? Those are pretty straight forward...or at least more available. I looked up the motor on Wikipedia and it hasn't been on other U.S. cars besides the turbo Cruze and Sonic so I wonder how it's reliability is, but I bet it's fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's supposed to be used on the freeway only.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lithium ions can't melt aluminum beams

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe. I wouldn't trust its brakes on it to keep up with a real sports car on some hard driving roads.

Really? It doesn't have OK traditional brakes?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Reminder that the Prius was originally supposed to be a generic econobox that slotted between the Corolla and the Camry, and the hybrid drive was just one of several possible powertrains Toyota was considering to get better fuel economy. Also that the first-gen Prius looks like this

They only started really pushing the hybrid system as the main feature ("hybrid synergy drive" badge, distinctive space pod styling) and the Prius as a unique line to itself when it became apparent that people really wanted to show off how environmentally-friendly they were by purchasing an imported vehicle full of batteries.

Umm, the car was designed from the start to be a hybrid. In the United States it definitely was marketed as an innovative vehicle with a waiting list before it was introduced.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mange Mite posted:

I think it shared platforms with the Echo. Maybe body panels too?

No, it actually used the MC platform which is shared with the Corolla, RAV4, tC, etc. The Echo uses the NBC platform shared with the first-gen Scion xA, xB, etc. The Prius also came out two-years before the Echo in the Japanese market, so the styling of the Echo would be based on the Prius, I guess. Supposedly a California design studio came up with the first-gen Prius but the article Wikipedia links to is dead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wolrah posted:

Relevant and doesn't seem to have been posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4lXthHJUw4&t=31s

"This thing will leave everything for dust" about a drat i3. Apparently to a London car thief the same basic acceleration as a 2.0L Kia Soul is amazing.

It is funny how he doesn't seem to understand the electric part and thinks the car's off.

When he says it's "off" I think he means "taking off", not turned off.
I've got a curved telly eh??

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know someone with a Mercedes in Belgium and the speed limit on the GPS automatically changes with conditions (the roads have those adjustable electronic signs). Does it use some kind of FM traffic system or cellular signal?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

Auto pilot was NOT on in the PA rollover incident.

http://jalopnik.com/musk-autopilot-was-off-in-pa-tesla-model-x-crash-acco-1783695454

I wondered how long it would take someone to scapegoat the car when they were just being dumb.

The statement from Tesla is pretty damning:

quote:

We got access to the logs. Data from the vehicle shows that Autosteer was not engaged at the time of this collision. Prior to the collision, Autosteer was in use periodically throughout the approximately 50-minute trip. The most recent such use ended when, approximately 40 seconds prior to the collision, the vehicle did not detect the driver’s hands on the wheel and began a rapidly escalating set of visual and audible alerts to ensure the driver took proper control. When the driver failed to respond to 15 seconds of visual warnings and audible tones, Autosteer began a graceful abort procedure in which the music is muted, the vehicle begins to slow and the driver is instructed both visually and audibly to place their hands on the wheel. Approximately 11 seconds prior to the collision, the driver responded and regained control by holding the steering wheel, applying leftward torque to turn it, and pressing the accelerator pedal to 42%. Over 10 seconds and approximately 300m later and while under manual steering control, the driver drifted out of the lane, collided with a barrier, overcorrected, crossed both lanes of the highway, struck a median barrier, and rolled the vehicle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

No, but it can say “golly gee my driver looks to be asleep let’s come to a gradual stop on the shoulder”.

That's exactly what it did but then the driver started steering and pressed the throttle.

atomicthumbs posted:

nah having to pay attention to your car more than once every three minutes is an unneccessary inconvenience, blame here lies 100% on the driver

You're a really bad poster.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I like the idea of having an inductive charging plate in the garage. Just park above it, job done. 11 kW is enough for full charge from evening to morning as well.

Me too. There have been some aftermarket options but no factory ones that I know of yet. Of course this says 2020 so by that time I bet the other guys will get them too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What about the 110mpg Mustang?!?!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I don't understand why Toyota are so reluctant about battery electrics when they've been spearheading hybrids for so long.

They were early adopters, actually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV#First_generation

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

I was doing some research on the RAV4 Hybrid (battery pack configuration) - they keep calling this the "high voltage" battery but it's only about 250Vdc. The motors are 650Vac (that's over 600V, so technically from a safety standpoint that is "high voltage"). So there must be a large power supply to go from the 250Vdc to a higher AC voltage for the motors.

This guy pulled out his battery pack all by himself and found that some of the links were corroded - he was able to clean them and get the battery back in action without a problem at all. I'm a little scared that this problem occurred as low as 130,000-ish miles, but some people have gotten over a half-million miles on their batteries (Prius) without a problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/2vs5fc/toyota_wanted_4450_to_replace_my_hybrid_battery/

Fortunately I do have a pair of 00 gloves (live work DC up to 750V) but you always need to wear the heavy leather other glove that wrecks your dexterity. I'm not sure about the arc flash potential on the batteries but any work like removing the links I'd want to make sure to use electrically insulated tools made for this sort of work.

Has anyone with a Hybrid or EV done their own battery work?

I'm still agonizing about getting a hybrid... :psyduck:

Hmm... Jurassic Park Explorer in the background. Boomerjinks, is that you?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Phuzun posted:

Makes sense if it is awd.

From what I can find it's FWD, but if it has regenerative braking in the rear that could cause a problem.

It's not hard to get a tow with all 4 wheels off the ground, many cars today are AWD.

edit: Oh you said HYBRID, I was thinking the EV.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stevobob posted:

Is this true? my wife's 2010 Prius manual says to flatbed it only.

Apparently a lot of people tow it on a dolly without problems.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

I am extremely bummed to discover that the motor-generators in the Toyota hybrids are covered under the powertrain warranty and NOT the longer hybrid warranty.

At least with IGCTs if a serious fault is detected it should be able to stop current flow before it really screws up other components. I hope they did a good job on winding the permanent magnet MGs. (At work we have tons of motors and their failure is pretty rare even with how much they run. I'm talking like 10 to 10,000 horsepower.) I am assuming that for a stator winding failure for a motor that small it would be cheaper to replace it then to rewind it.

Friend, at some point you have to realize that there's no crystal ball for buying a car. You just have to accept you can't know everything. Buying a car isn't an investment either. Don't buy a car with the thought of its future worth. Toyotas seem to be good and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

The ones I've seen on the Norwegian market haven't depreciated much, probably because it's fairly rare and the enthusiast owners think it should have a collector's premium.

They should. It was my favorite car to drive in GTA5 :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

It's more complicated than just the price at the gas pump. Remember too that with higher prices that means there could be more production in North America.

North Dakota and Alberta will be happy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK maybe a dumb question, but isn't a mirror in 3d where a video screen is not?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody interested in the Tesla solar roof?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's not Gorilla Glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Looks more useful than the model 3 interior we've seen so far.

• Locked thread