Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Subjunctive posted:

I'd be surprised if those at-work chargers weren't pretty contended (FB's are), but yeah, that'll help.
Some sections of Google have surplus EV parking at the moment (to the point that there's no parking nearby for regular cars but several charging spots open). I'm sure that ratio must be gradually decreasing though. It's cool that so far they're staying ahead of the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Boten Anna posted:

These sound pretty neat too, like I wonder if they don't heat up as much under heavy use and charging, too, which would be nice for cell phone batteries. While 20-30% increase in density isn't an earthshattering improvement, it's certainly a sizable one.
I think the way more important thing than the density increase is the lifespan improvement prediction. The thing that keeps me from biting the bullet on an EV is the feeling that I'll need to replace the batteries in 5-10 years at a cost that's effectively $50-$100 per month over that timespan, eliminating the bulk of gas savings.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Ola posted:

You won't have to. While it will degrade over time, it will last the lifetime of the car - 10-15 years. A Leaf has a 8 year / 100k mile warranty on the battery, Tesla has 8 years unlimited mileage. It compares well with a gas drivetrain which can also be pretty tired after 100,000 miles.
Yeah, for most of my use (commuting) that would be fine, but for the ~weekly trip that's on the cusp of Leaf range, that degradation would make it go from "barely making it there and back" to "definitely having to charge for a while at the other end".

Though I suppose planning for still regularly making that trip in 5+ years might be a bit silly anyway.

And I guess that's a good point too, that I was just comparing the battery replacement cost against gas cost, and not against gas cost plus all the *other* regular maintenance on an ICE.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

Just wait until they announced the Jolt!
I think there'll be a bigger backlash when they go with the Dolt.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

"Hours" is nowhere near good enough. "Hours" kills hundreds of people per year, easily.
It's not like self-driving cars are just going to jump off bridges and poo poo if the road isn't identical to what they have mapped. Dumb delays are more likely than killing hundreds of people.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Also, from the comments over there, apparently the fire service people didn't have the equipment to put out a high voltage electrical fire, so it got to keep burning until it was out of things to burn.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I got rear-ended about two months ago by a woman who was just zoned out and following my every move. I turned right, she turned right. I got in the left lane, she got in the left lane. I slowed down and stopped to make a left turn, she didn't.
I got rear-ended in a pretty goddamn ridiculous way. Stopped at a red light, truck in front of me, car behind me. Light turns green. A couple of seconds pass and the truck hasn't moved because they're looking at their phone or something, so I give a tiny beep to get them to look up. Then the car behind me crashes into me. From a dead stop. My best guess is that the driver of that car was *also* looking at their phone, heard a beep and assumed they weren't moving when they should be, and remedied that situation by starting moving without even looking in front of their car. The truck, upon hearing smashing noises behind them, sped away dangerously, so that's pretty great too.

I live fairly near Google's main stuff, so my point here is, one of their AIs getting rear-ended in this area doesn't require any kind of remotely crazy driving, it just happens because people here drive like loving morons. The 12:1 ratio over expected rear-ending rates is, coincidentally, similar to the experience we've had with living here vs. prior to living here. (our ratio is 3 rear-endings in 2 years here, vs. 0 rear-endings in 18 years elsewhere.)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Tyro posted:

There was an electric motorcycle thread that also included ebike chat but it closed a while ago. I've been toying around with the idea of building an ebike just for fun, got any details on yours?
I got a wheel kit to make a low-end ebike out of a used beach cruiser. When you push the button and don't pedal it goes about 10mph on road, but it's powering the front wheel, so you can pedal as well to go faster. (Unfortunately, the cheap base bike doesn't have a high enough gear to really take full advantage of the assist to go fast.)

With the cheaper battery pack it has about a 10 mile range (without pedaling). The sellers claims 8. On a full charge, with mild pedaling, it approximately gets me to and from work, 7.5 miles each way mostly on rough trail. The better battery that I didn't get apparently more than doubles the range.

It's pretty drat decent though for a $70 bike and I think it was about $400 for the wheel-and-battery (seems to be $500 now).

I recently had a trial run of one of the $4000 all-in-one ebikes, and for my particular commute (which goes on dirt trails) it was a horrible experience compared to my makeshift thing. The power all going to the back wheel makes for more loss of control when a stone shifts under you, the suspension was not up to a rough trail in the first place, and the bike is super heavy. For the part on-road it was a decent bit faster, but even there it was super uncomfortable - the lack of suspension made it jarring in the wrists on anything but the smoothest road.

This is the thing I got, I've had it for over a year now with no problems - http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/hill-topper.aspx

The one thing I don't like about it is that the power button is a small microswitch that you have to hold for power. Holding a microswitch with your thumb for most of half an hour, pressing against a handlebar on rough terrain, is not very comfortable (and leaves an imprint on your thumb). But I didn't dislike it quite enough to bother replacing the switch with something better, so it can't be that bad.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I have a little sympathy for the "electric makes me drive like an rear end in a top hat" thing; I don't think it's entirely the acceleration, I think it's partly the *quiet*. Because in my non-electric car, the thing that mostly limits me from accelerating quickly is that the car makes a horrible noise if I really put my foot down.

But I'm not really convinced that accelerating quickly alone is enough to make your driving assholish. I only accelerate fast into roads with no cars in the way, anyway, which doesn't seem like it should really bother anyone.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Crash engineering is pretty incredible. It involves designing the right things to be quite malleable, and the right things to be extremely strong. Tesla's performance in the crash tests is commendable because they really haven't been doing this for all that long, but the car isn't really safer than the best other $100k cars. The question is whether or not the fundamental design of an EV is inherently safer due to packaging, and I don't think anyone has the answer to that just yet.
Seems like EVs would tend to be safer just because they typically weigh more with the batteries (even ignoring that the weight tends to be distributed low which has other advantages).
I mean, in a head on 50mph each collision between a 4700lb Model S and 3800lb Jaguar F-Type R Coupe (picking another car at random by similar price range), the Jaguar's velocity changes by 55mph and the Tesla's velocity only changes by 45mph over the same collision-squashing time period. That's their equivalent "crashing into an immovable object" speeds. All else being equal, you'll experience less force in the heavier car.

Edit: of course, this also makes them less safe for whoever you're crashing into.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

The only way to get a ticket was some contest related to their referral program, which totally blows - if there were some way for people to just buy them, I'd seriously consider going.
Do you win the factory at the end of the tour if you're the one ticket-winner who didn't turn into a blueberry or piss in the battery acid or whatever?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

But if you're going to have a not-reinforced frame, why not drop the crossbar and be scooter-style, so the omission adds some comfort value?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Pff get back to me when they make an electric version of this:

That's nearly right, but in an electric version you obviously want to be strapped horizontally inside a little comfortable cocoon, like a person on a hang-glider. That way you reduce your drag and also remove the uncomfortable bike saddle.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

here's a fun paper about how easy deep neural networks are to fool, and pictures from it showing what patterns it recognizes as what objects:

let's do a fun gedankenexperiment. I don't know if Tesla's CV stuff is deep learning-originated or more mundane, but what could you print out and attach to the back of your car to make autopilot Teslas run off the road like some sort of automotive BLIT?
The article is interesting, but if you're thinking about fooling image recognition in the wild, you don't really need to generate crazy evolved pictures that don't look like a thing but the neural net thinks it does, you can just use pictures that do look like a thing. eg. put one of those cardboard figures of a person on the back of your car, fool image recognition behind you into thinking there's a pedestrian. The only reason I can think of to do it with a strange abstract image is for plausible deniability, but after it causes an accident you'd probably still have to come up with a good explanation of why you have a strange abstract image on the back of your car that just happens to fool neural networks into thinking it's a perpendicular truck with 99.9% confidence.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Not a stats guy but don't we need lots more fatalities before the million miles/fatality metric becomes valid?
I said that earlier, too, but now I've thought about it some more I think we actually don't. If we instead look at it as "chance of a fatality per mile" then we have a sample size of 130000 that in aggregate suggests that the chance of a fatality per mile is 1/130000 (I believe it actually suggests a significantly smaller odds of fatality than that because if those were the odds then our chances of reaching that count without a single accident are well below 50:50, and we should really be estimating at the balance-of-probability level). Point being it's not as silly as the apparent sample size of 1 would appear. Pretty sure looking at it this way has to be valid because clearly it would be ridiculous if, hypothetically, we had a billion road-miles with zero fatalities, to say "that's not enough data to make a safety judgement, we need fatalities first."

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Yes, that's an ad using the term "self-driving car" to describe a slightly more advanced version of the lane keep assist introduced in the 2014 S-class.
I think it's important that car manufacturers should keep making exaggerated names for their assisted driving tools, so that when real self-driving cars become available they're not successful because nobody can tell from the name that they're different from the garbage that was already available.

This benefits society because someone makes money earlier.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They could even separate the cargo boxes from the wheelie parts, and have some kind of infrastructure to allow chaining up hundreds of cargo boxes in a big linkage that runs on special separated roads, and only need to share streets for runs from endpoints to local depots.
And if we did it that way we could even run an AC electrical supply over the 'road', or as part of it, and eliminate the need for batteries or fuel on board this "truck snake".

Maybe "truck lane", or "tr-ane" for short.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

Good thing those aren't routinely wiped off the map throughout a massive central portion of the country by horrifying weather events.
Solar roadways lol.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Serious question: wouldn't it make more sense, cost less, and cause less disruption to existing road usage to mount the same amount of solars above the roads? Yeah, then you need all the supporting structure, but you don't need to rip up the existing road to install, repair, or upgrade them, you can angle them to shed snow and/or capture more sunlight for whatever latitude you're at, and they shade the roadway, reducing power usage for AC in the summer. Why is the focus on making the road surface itself out of PVs?
It's almost certainly a nonsense thing, but part of the idea they claim is that you offset the cost of maintenance by saving the cost of asphalt maintenance, whereas if you built the panels above the road then now you have both costs. Also, the whole "weather events break the wires" thing that I was jokingly posting it as a response to - what I was really getting at is that you could potentially have an electric supply at ground level that could be tapped by a moving vehicle (like electric rail does) which would be less vulnerable to being smashed by wind and storms. If you built solar panels over the roads you'd end up with a whole bunch of extra breakable wind-catching poo poo, even worse than wires.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I assume the way it's going to play out is Tesla is going to let other manufacturers (or owners of cars from other manufacturers) use their superchargers in exchange for a fat fee, with margins such that the superchargers are profitable but it's not worth the effort and expense to build competing superchargers.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Ola posted:

Haha!

Actually no, you can just program an algorithm to avoid deaths where the results is that a kid becomes Hitler.
And actively murder people who were going to become Hitler.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Choosing to kill the people in the car every time on the assumption that they chose to drive the high-speed death machine, and therefore are responsible for its actions, is valid though
That was essentially my selection (also, this model incentivizes the car manufacturer to have better self-diagnostics on brakes, since people are less likely to buy a car whose decision-making process is "gently caress the people who bought me" in the event of a dangerous failure and with a high risk of dangerous failure).

But I also at a higher priority went with "gently caress people crossing against the light in the lane the car is in". Because if you walk in front of a speeding car when it's the car's right of way with the tacit assumption that it will brake anyway then gently caress you.

From my results we can conclude that dogs most often cross against the light or drive self-driving cars with bad brakes, and old men least often do these things.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Ola posted:

VW electric with 300 mile range.
Yeah, but it's VW so it'll really just be secretly burning diesel and farts, and breaking emission laws. And the batteries are nuclear waste.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

ilkhan posted:

I just love that EVs get to choose if they want it to behave like an auto (coast) or a real car (regen). I'll take mostly one foot driving every day.
I have a Nissan Cube which is an automatic (CVT), and it still does significant engine braking if you let the accelerator all the way up (except at very low speeds where it accelerates).

Just saying, I don't think automatics necessarily mean letting off the gas behaves like coasting.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

unnecessary

unnecessary

unnecessary

unnecessary

unrelated to gas powered vehicles
I don't know what you mean by any of the "unnecessary"s. It *is* a gas powered vehicle, so I don't understand how describing what it does is unrelated to gas powered vehicles.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Ola posted:

Porsche has made one of those silly scrolly sites (which I believe is the correct web design term) about the Mission-E. http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mission-e/international.aspx

The ride height alone eliminates it from being very usable for rural or mountain destinations. It's more of a Star Trek captain's home leave GT. Looks great.
"So the future of the sports car looks highly promising. You might even say electrifying."

I hope that writer got a bonus for that amazing zinger!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

God bless that strange, strange man for always thinking big.
And for being humorously a dick about it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Unfortunately it's not as simple as nighttime vs daytime. In regions that heat with primarily electricity (The South), adding a bunch of high capacity EVs charging could be a problem on the odd very cold night. Like, expanding transmission blackout type problem.
I wonder if having an option to have your car [or other household battery bank] discharge back into the grid [up to some limit that you set, so you can always still commute], paying out say 1.5x what you paid for the electricity, when the grid demands it, would be a viable solution to this problem. Instead of EVs causing a problem for demand balancing, they could be a solution to demand balancing. A huge, distributed battery bank.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Unfortunately utilities are incredibly resistant to anything that breaks their monopoly and have actually been making it harder and leas profitable to sell energy back.
Yeah, I knew that was the case. Not sure though whether it's because solar tends to have peak production at a time when demand is not peak (extra generation when the existing generation already meets demand is of no value if there's no storage) or if it's pure greedy profit-mongering.

There's a dumb thing here (California, also available in Seattle, "ohmhours") where you can get smart plugs and have them automatically turn off during demand spikes, and get points for your reduced consumption at those times, which can be translated back to money. So there seems to be some willingness for the electric companies to give up a little money to minimize the need to spin up extra capacity.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

The company that is profiting from reselling power to those that can't generate their own? Very similar to the existing business model, just a larger variety of smaller power sources for them to buy from.
I think Ryand-Smith's point is that when all the people who pay a lot are removed from the system (or start taking money from the system because they're a power provider now), those people who can't generate their own power have to take up the slack in terms of grid maintenance costs, which means their costs will increase.

The ignored piece of information in that idea is that many power companies already charge a base fee plus usage fee, so actually everyone will still be paying the same base fee (including those people who are now net generators), so it shouldn't make any difference to the costs for everyone else unless that base fee doesn't actually cover grid maintenance. Which would seem weird since that's its alleged purpose.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I have to think there is some kind of regulatory hurdle involved, because a lot of otherwise identical cars come with a spare in other markets outside the US but not in the US.
That might be a regulatory issue the other way - maybe other countries *require* selling with a spare, but they can save $50 in the US by not doing it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Might be a credit rating thing rather than a single-male-and-age thing? We found insuring with Geico, making me the primary driver (neither of us having had any accidents, my wife having a longer insurance record, similar ages) dropped our insurance rate by about 30%, presumably because my credit rating is good vs. she did a bankruptcy to escape an upside-down house when that was a thing.

But we did also find that despite leases on EVs being insanely cheap for a while, the insurance hike that would result would have dramatically overshadowed the savings at the pump. Not sure if it's leases, EVs or both that made that the case.

(Edit: Of course this presumably-credit-rating finding is ridiculous, either way the same two people are insured, are our chances of having an accident somehow changed so dramatically by which of us is listed first on the insurance? It can't be a "chance of defaulting on payment" thing since insurance payments are up front anyway. Whatever algorithms they're using for their actuarial decisions are dumb as gently caress.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 12, 2017

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

They want to make sure you're actually going to pay your bill. People with bad credit tend to be worse at this.
That makes no sense either though, like I said, because insurance payments are up-front payments. If you don't pay the bill you're not insured, so bad credit shouldn't factor in.
(Also, if the concern is that they issue a six month card and charge monthly, and they don't want to argue about the card being invalid because you didn't pay, then it would make sense to offer a "pay the full six months up front to get the same rate you'd get if your credit didn't suck!" discount for people with bad credit.)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It's an insurance company. Their entire business is calculating how likely different groups of people are to get in an accident and cost them money, and the more accurate they can be with that, the better.
Yeah, my point was that they're loving terrible at their business, given that insuring two cars for A+B (my wife and me) would have cost $300 a year more than insuring the same two cars for B+A (me and my wife). It's pretty goddamn obvious that there is zero difference in likelihood of making a claim between these two configurations, so their actuarial tables are wrong one way or the other.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

And then bringing it back to the thread topic, is it really the case that electric cars are more likely to be in [more expensive] accidents? Clearly we can't infer that it's so from the fact (?) that insurance companies charge more, because the A+B vs B+A thing aptly demonstrates that their calculations are not reliably meaningful.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I'd be totally interested in an electric VW camper. Not so much interest in an electric VW bus shaped SUV with a fold-out table in the middle to have businessperson conversations over.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

If it's a bad idea then why has GM already put it into production? :smugdog:
I assume the same reason as buttonless trackpads being on every loving laptop now.
Because lovely ideas that look cool beat good, practical ideas in marketing.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

Why not just install a small nuclear reactor at every truck stop :shrug:
One on every truck, save the weight of the batteries.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

(who claims they didn't know what it would do)
"A big red button that I don't know what it does?! Gonna press that poo poo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

And the comment made was ANY tesla. Please go ahead posting spy shots for an unreleased model tho.
Why not post your picture of a Tesla interior that's better, and end the argument?

• Locked thread