Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I've done a bunch of research and have finally decided to buy a Ford Fusion Energi, the plug in hybrid version of the Fusion.

I wanted to buy a Model S really badly but just couldn't justify it. Man they are gorgeous but they are pricey. Plus my wife's current car is a Saturn and I am sure that me buying a Tesla would cause the company to go under so you are all welcome for not getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Kenshin posted:

I work one block from the Seattle Tesla dealership/mechanic shop and goddamn are you making the wrong choice. The Model S is so drat pretty. Such a beautiful sedan.

I will admit that the Fusion is a beautiful car in its own right. A buddy of mine just got a Fusion Hybrid in pale blue and it looks gorgeous.

I'll PM you my PayPal and you can send the $30k difference to me.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

InterceptorV8 posted:

Don't laugh at the question, but anyone know when they are making at EV that plugs into a 120v outlet?

Sorry but now matter how hard you try and regardless of how important your fuel economy numbers are to you, your MAXXforce won't plug into the wall.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

grover posted:

Is anyone marketing tow-behind generators as range extenders & extra storage space for EVs? I mean, I can see that being a really big market for people who want an EV for local use, but have the occasional need to drive long distances. I know they exist, but I've never once heard them mentioned with respect to the Model S or Leaf. Do any EV cars sold right now have charging jacks that could be used with a tow-behind generator?

Let's face it- if you want to drive your Tesla on a track, unless you live like 2 miles away, you're going to to flatbed it there and back. No sense dragging around a heavy- and 99% of the time unnecessary- engine for daily commuting, though.

That's essentially what a hybrid does, only you carry it around all the time obviously.

Sadi posted:

Seriously. Ive been curious why no one does this yet. I remember years ago seeing a guy making his own electric BMW and had built a generator trailer. Just seems like a good idea for extending range. You could put a small high efficiency turbo diesel or turbo gas motor back there, have it operate at most efficient RPM if it was sized right and still get pretty drat good MPG I feel like.

That is what the Volt does.

I imagine once battery technology matures to a certain point more vehicles will be going all electric obviously.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Sadi posted:

I thought the volt was like the new plug in prius in that there is a direct mechanical link between the engine and the wheels.

The engine acts as a generator. Under emergency situations the ICE can power the wheels but in practicality it never will.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I did it. I ordered a Fusion Energi. :thumbsup:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Squibbles posted:

How's the Volt stack up against the Fusion Energi? The EV range goes Volt > Plugin Energi > Plugin Prius right?

That's right. Volt is 40 miles, Energi 21, Prius 11.

I wanted the Volt but it only seats 4 and my wife hated it and it will be her car. After looking though, the Fusion is the nicest car of all of them imo.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

grover posted:

Yes, but it's not really a problem yet. I just think it's a bit ironic that the federal government and most states have rebates and subsidies for hybrids and alternate fuel vehicles, yet VA has chosen to go in the opposite direction.

It is a problem now. It's not only a problem with EV vehicles. Strides in fuel economy for all vehicles coupled with fuel tax freezes for most states and the federal government since the mid 90s has created a crisis in highway funding across the nation. Providing tax incentives to push consumers to adopt alternative fuel vehicles and then turning around and setting up fee structures to capture revenue needed for highway funds is neither hypocritical nor ironic; they are two separate issues.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Madurai posted:

After seven days and a little over five hundred miles, I can say it really is everything advertised. My perspective is obviously skewed, I'll be the first to admit--I've never owned a really high-end car in my life, until now. It's nicer than my house. But drat, does it go when you press the pedal.

It's not without nuisances: there are a grand total of two undersized cupholders; aside from the glove compartment, there's no concealed storage without opening the trunks; the seats don't have adjustable headrests. Stuff like that. But these are all nitpicks, rookie mistakes from a young company, and things one would expect to get ironed out in subsequent model years.

...still don't have my plates.

That's beautiful. Congratulations my man.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

TheWevel posted:

So, what does everyone think of the Volt? Are there any Volt owners in this thread?

I would like to get a Leaf but unfortunately I travel long distances just enough to write that one off the list. The Volt seems to overcome that by having a decent enough electric only range that would cover my daily commute but also any occasional road trips I would have to take. It also appears that the dealerships are significantly cutting the price so that makes it even more worthwhile to me. I want to like the C-Max Energi but the range and general egg shape kind of bother me. There's also the comedy Prius option but the plug-in isn't sold in my state (Georgia) and the electric only range is kind of comical.

I dismissed the Volt because it only seats 4 and there are 5 of us. Have you looked at the Ford Fusion Energi? We have one on order.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Cockmaster posted:

The Fusion Energi also offers adaptive cruise control, which can be great for long trips.

Eco cruise (it slowly accelerates you up to desired speed) along with adaptive cruise are just as good for in city driving. It makes sure you go light on the accelerator, keeps an appropriate following distance, and is much more fuel efficient. Combine that with the lane assist and the car will drive itself. And park itself too if you really don't wanna do any driving.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

grover posted:

Even invoice is $47800 on those so something was definitely up; someone took an $18k loss on that, and I'm guessing most of it was the california taxpayer.

Shame the economics just doesn't work out yet. A normal Rav4 costs literally half what Rav4 EV does ($23k vs $48), and for a ~48 mile round trip typical commute (EV range is 103 miles), 12000 miles/year at 24/31mpg (say 25mpg avg, easy math) would burn about 480 gallons of gas a year. At $4/gallon, that's just under $2k worth of gas. Electricity isn't free, either- figure electric bills to be about 1/3 of that. You'd have to drive it about 15 years just to break even. Far better bet would be to buy a prius, which costs less and burns half the gas.

Depends on your electricity rates and the size of the battery. But 25 miles worth of charge is probably around $1 so more like 1/4 th of that. For instance the Fusion takes 7.4 kwh to go around 20 miles. Here electricity is $.066 per kwh. So for 20 miles in South Texas electricity costs are about $.50. But our electricity rates are really cheap. Average is probably closer to a buck.

That would get your break even closer to 7 years. But obviously you're being kinder to the environment. Especially if you buying electricity from a company that utilizes wind or solar.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Ford has an app already that you can use to have your car charge during off peak hours. And with PHEV you still have gas as a backup.

It's not as difficult as y'all are making it out to be.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

InterceptorV8 posted:

Did you get your car yet? Or have you prewired your home yet? How did that go?

I still don't have a build date or a VIN. :(

Haven't wired the house up yet. Our utility has a 50% rebate on wiring and a charger but the funds are depleted right now. I'm gonna try to hold out for when that program is back up.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
A lot of people with PHEV already charge during off peak hours. I don't know why y'all keep ignoring this. Besides, we aren't going to have mass adoption of them overnight. It will happen gradually, and the supply will rise to meet the demand. I'm sure there will be some bumps but its not going to be the end of the world either.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Finally got notice that our Fusion Energi was built on May 8th and is on its way to us. We should have it by the end of the month at the latest.

Got a VIN and a window sticker too. I'm officially getting excited.

Also was happy to see that Bosch has come out with a Level 2 charger for only $450, a good $400 bucks cheaper than most.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

The Locator posted:

I'd own a Tesla S tonight, except for that price tag thing. I have a 110 mile round trip commute each day, so there is no other EV on the map (especially here in the heat of Phoenix), but the Tesla is simply out of reach for me. Oh well. Glad to see some of them on the road occasionally, they are gorgeous.

You could always get a plug in hybrid.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
We just took delivery of our Fusion Energi. It has some really neat features; things like adaptive cruise and lane keep as well as park assist (self parallel parking) along with all the other Ford touch and sync features. I need to get a level 2 charger installed but was hoping for my utility to open up their 50% rebate program. Now that we have had the car a few days I want the charger so I guess we'll get that done.

I love it so far. It's fun trying to see how far we can go without using any fuel, but also nice to be able to use it if necessary.

I should probably take and post some pictures.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Rod Munch posted:

Am interested in hearing more. Would like a RAV4 EV, but it seems like getting a charging station is going to be a hassle since we live in a condo where the garage is community property.

We have a standard 110 in our garage, and work has 6 LVL2 chargers plus another 10 spaces or so with access to 110. Problem is that getting one of those spots requires getting to work very early since there are a ton of Volts and plug-in Prius that have sprung up in the past 6 months.

What would you like to hear more about specifically?

The battery range is advertised as up to 21 miles, but Fusion Energi owners are reporting getting as much as 40 miles off of a charge. You have the option to use the high voltage battery (the one charged by the wall) in three modes; EV Now which will use only the EV battery, EV Auto which learns your driving habits and will attempt to use up all of your battery by the time you get home, or EV later which saves all of your battery for when you want to use it. If you have a commute that begins on the highway and ends in stop and go driving, you would use EV later for that.

The battery takes 6-8 hours to fully charge off of a standard 110 volt charger where a 240 volt charger will take 2 to 2.5 hours.

Once the battery is depleted, or when using EV Later, the car will operate as a normal hybrid driven vehicle. It uses an Atkinson 2.0 liter four cylinder motor for the ICE.

It is advertised as getting 100 MPGe and 45 mpg as a hybrid. Of course the numbers you get will depend wholly on your commute and driving habits.

My wife mainly shuffles the kids around, does grocery shopping and errands and then to do stuff locally with her friends, so we should be able to use only battery a good 90% of the time. But if we want to take a long trip in the car for any reason, we can do that as the ICE has a range of around 600 miles. And of course you can refuel it with gas :)

Suqit fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Rod Munch posted:

A few things.

#1 - How practical is the trunk?

#2 - How good is it getting to highway speed? Seems like it's good if you are charged.

#3 - How is acceleration on passing? I've heard this is iffy. However, I currently drive a CRV and a 13 year old Integra, neither are powerhouses.

#4 - The interior looks pretty nice in pictures, is it the same in person? I haven't ridden in a Ford in a long time and don't have a good feel for the interior quality.

My commute is 26 miles round trip, 25 miles of that is carpool lane. Right now my 5 year old carpools with me to daycare which is onsite at work. Come September she starts Kindergarten, and I need to get an EV to avoid the carpool lane unless I want add another 30-40 minutes of driving every day for the next couple years.

1. The trunk space is just fine for what my wife needs; groceries and poo poo for kids. My golf clubs would probably fit back there. It isn't monstrous, but honestly it doesn't matter to us since I drive a Suburban.
I have seen pictures of people fitting 3 carry on size luggage bags. The space is certainly compromised by battery, but it's definitely a usable space.

2. The acceleration is just fine. It's not going to win any drag races, but I don't find it laggy at all. If you stomp on the accelerator, the ICE will kick in to help. Even if you don't have any big battery left, the acceleration is fine.

3. I have no idea about passing since the only longer highway drive we have had it on was on the way back from Austin to San Antonio and we just used the adaptive cruise. It speeds you up and slows you down depending on traffic all on it's own, and when we needed to pass we just let cruise take over and do its thing. Once again, if you need extra power it just engages the ICE. But I haven't read any complaints about it anywhere and from my limited driving of it haven't experienced any problems.

4. We have the Titanium trim and it's one of the nicer cars I've owned or been in. Certainly better finished than my fully loaded Burb. Nicer than my Lexus IS 350 I had prior to this. It's chock full of bells and whistles, but that all depends on what trim package you go with. The Energi only comes in SE and Titanium though. Personally I didn't care for the SE, as I thought the interior looked relatively drab and bland, but the Titanium is pretty snazzy. Honestly the difference in price is only around $400-$500 between the two so I didn't really see any reason to get the SE. Plus the only way to get remote start (other than with using the MyFordMobile app) is by upgrading to the Titanium. You also get the upgraded Sony stereo (12 speaker including sub and center channel) with the Titanium and it sounds pretty drat good.

As for carpool lanes it's probably best to make sure the Energi qualifies where you live. But that commute you could do 100% on electricity.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah in that case it's either reporting strictly your miles per gallon of gasoline consumed (so not counting any electricity consumed) or it's mixing your MPGe and your MPG together for an average number.

It's calculating MPG only when showing MPG. There are different screens that show different values. You can have it show MPGe as well.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Squibbles posted:

Gas eventually breaks down doesn't it? I wonder if that will be a problem for the plugin hybrids with a long range for some people. Go half a year without touching your gas reserves and will the fuel be reduced in quality? I know it's a problem for lawnmowers and such that sit idle during the winter and people recommend adding stabilizers to keep it from breaking down into 'varnish'.

The Volt recommends premium fuel for this reason. The Fusion Energi will cycle the engine at predetermined intervals to avoid this problem as well as to insure the engine is getting lubricated.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Mortanis posted:

Pulled up to the local DC Quick Charge. Nissan Leaf count waiting in line: 4.

What sort of resources are there for getting CHAdeMO stations added in to a city? I gather 3 Phase power isn't something that is run everywhere, and the devices themselves run 90k plus. What does it take to get AeroVironment to add more, or is that entirely at the discretion of the government? It's starting to get impossible to get in and use the charger, severely limited my extra-curricular activities. And I can't quite pull the trigger on a 1k+ a month Tesla, no matter how badly I want to. Even if the Tesla Supercharger station is a couple of blocks away, whispering and taunting me.

Buy a PHEV.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Squibbles posted:

Ugh that plug-in Prius and the new plug-in Accord's EV range is so stupidly low. Why do they even bother.

Some people have commutes short enough to justify it. If work has a charger then you can double it also.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd love to see what these numbers look like when rebates, bonuses, and other gimmicks are no longer available. Hell, the latest gov't rebate on the Volt is more than I've paid for my last 2 cars combined. It is NOT a better alternative (at this time) in my mind, since this power still has to come from somewhere - and it is not just magically appearing. This seems to be the silent 'not my problem, I bought green :smug:' bit of the debate in EVs where I just stop listening and just tune out.

That all depends on where you live and how you get your electricity. Here are some numbers.

Of course the technology will get better over time, and early adopters help that curve get started.

I don't know why you give a poo poo if someone wants to buy an electric car unless they yell at you for using gas, which nobody in here really does. :confused:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

West SAAB Story posted:

Rural North-west America. I'm less than an hour from a largish city, but I am still over 30 miles out, and bordering two states - neither of which gives a crap. Most folks out here have their phone service from yet ANOTHER state which borders on the other side. v:v:v

We have both above, and underground power. Whenever we get over a foot of snow, poo poo tends to stop working. We've had the roads plowed twice already this year, which is a feat unto itself. No tornadoes, and the last few earthquakes didn't interrupt much but a bit of sleep.

It still isn't horribly viable for an EV here, where I, and a good portion of Americans live. A (former) coworker ended up with a Volt, and as Chevys' site shows by CURRENT data,it gets about 38-40 on a full charge. Best case.

A good portion of America is farther away than an 18 mile commute, and we can't sit plugged in for a whole day for that - and to pray there is enough juice for the return. Plus, in my case, the electric is still pretty drat high at $0.12/kwh off peak (also used in Chevys' current Volt metrics).

You've made this statement several times now. I really have noting to retort other than I'm glad you were able to make it 13 miles out of your normal commute without having to deliver the child yourself.

So it won't work for you nobody gives a gently caress. It works for plenty of people. Don't buy one.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Goober Peas posted:

Grover makes a good point, and it begs an interesting question (this may or may not be the best place to discuss) -- is gasoline overpriced or is electricity underpriced? At 10 cents a kwh, the 40 miles avg (12 kwh) of electric range my Volt provides costs me 1/3 as much as the 40 mpg avg gas generator that is onboard.

Electric companies aren't taking in the largest profits in the history of the world.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Hillridge posted:

Ford has a couple offerings that look nice, but it seems the general consensus is that they underwhelm for the price. I have a friend with the Volt that loves it, and I'll see if he'll let me drive it a bit. Even though it's way more efficient than anything I've ever owned, I'm still hoping I can find something that's pure electric so I never have to do any ICE related maintenance on it ever (gently caress exhaust work on New England cars). I may keep my current car for long trips/power outages and get a reasonable pure EV like the leaf for commuting/short trips. Also, I don't get how a car called the leaf isn't available in green. It has like 4 shades of silver, 2 of white, red, black, and grandma blue.

We've had our Ford Fusion Energi right at a year now and are very happy with it. My wife makes mainly short trips and has burned about 35 gallons of gas in that time. That includes a weekend road trip with no access to charging, and the 80 mile trip home from the dealer we bought it from.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

PerniciousKnid posted:

I started looking at cars more earnestly, recently, and noticed that there are more plug-in hybrids than I realized. Does anybody have experience with midsize cars like the Food Focus Energi? I don't think it's worth the cost, but I do have a free charger at work that might sort if make it worthwhile.

Of course, being the Midwest there probably aren't any available around here anyway, but I'm still curious.

My wife drives the fusion energi. What would you like to know?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

PerniciousKnid posted:

Basically I'm just wondering if the extra cost, weight and mechanical complexity is worth having the extra 10mi or whatever of electric range. The classic hybrid seems like it would be worthwhile cost-wise (haven't driven one yet), but the plug-in is a big premium.

Edit: while you're here, how do you like Sync or Touch or whatever? My wife has no patience for technology, but that seems to be the way things are going.

Its definitely not worth it from a cost stand point. Although she has only filled her tank like 4 times in 11,000 miles. We just like the idea of charging from home and not burning gasoline. The sync is good, she has no problems using it. I have a new GMC and I like it better but I also drive it everyday so know it better.

The only time she ever burns gas is on the few road trips she's taken it on. The fusion is a great car though. We love it.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Godholio posted:

Edit: Neeever mind.

People with 3 kids or more.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I did a pro forma a year or so back for my boss showing how much cheaper a tesla would be than my fully loaded 4x4 suburban over 5 years. He laughed and told me he'd never buy anything that gets better than 20 mpg.

He bought me a 4x4 Yukon XL.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Throatwarbler posted:

The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive is a technological tour de force that pretty much no other carmaker has been able to catch up with even today. They way the Prius drivetrain uses the gas engine and electric motors together so seamlessly is an extremely impressive piece of engineering and anyone who has an actual interest in the tech behind cars would find it fascinating and awesome. It should be very much "AI", but for some reason "enthusiast" to people on internet car forums must equal rotaries or diesel VW/Audis or some other inefficient, pollution spewing dead end technology.

I guess you just can't get enthusiastic about cars that are designed/engineered by people who actually know what the gently caress they are doing and built by people who give a poo poo? Toyota will jsut have to give up the enthusiast market and just be content with being the biggest carmaker in the world.

My dad works for Toyota too.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Bape Culture posted:

I'm an automotive design consultant who specialises in autodesk alias.

You're a loving bad rear end honestly.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

ilkhan posted:

gas taxes, which form the majority of the cost for a gallon of gas at this point.

What makes you say this?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Sagebrush posted:

It's not just nonlinear. According to some of the traffic engineers here, damage scales with the fourth power of the vehicle's weight. So a vehicle that's twice as heavy does 16 times as much damage to the road. A vehicle that's ten times as heavy, like say a 40000 pound truck compared to a 4000 pound car, does 10^4 = 10,000 times as much damage.

Similarly, it would take 4,096 500-pound motorcycles to equal the damage caused by a single passenger car, so basically motorcycles should have to pay no taxes at all.

It has a lot more to do with axle weight and weight distribution over those axles than it does gross weight.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

McPhearson posted:

Honda Urban EV Concept!

I see what they were going for, but man, that is not an attractive car.

I've been waiting for the AMC Gremlin to come back for years now. My prayers have been answered.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

KakerMix posted:

Guys if you don't talk about something you are talking negatively about it and I must inform you that ~I don't care~

Wish there was more to talk about with that electric super dump truck, that thing owns.

The September Heavy Duty Trucking does a nice summary of Alt Fuel heavy duty trucks including electrics.

Its pretty comprehensive and does a good job of pointing out the significant hurdles that need to be cleared.

Looks like the Nikola is gonna be real.

Article here

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Powershift posted:

The Nikola company is showing all the warning signs of a bullshit scam, the same way carbon motors did. I still think they have a better chance of going bankrupt and eating everybody's deposits than they do producing a real truck. It feels as if they came up with, and publicized their performance goals as the specs and have yet to figure out if it's even physically possible.

They have some serious carriers behind them with preorders. Including US Xpress and Ryder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Three Olives posted:

No, it's really bad and if you buy an electric car you will realize how much worse it was than you already thought.

As far as remember to charge? It's just a thing you do? You get home and you plug your car in, it takes 10 seconds and you are probably good for at least a couple of days if for some reason you got super distracted and forgot. I really don't know what to say, it's like remembering to have clean clothes, shower, brush your teeth or any number of daily responsibilities required to show up at your job and not get fired?

lol I own an electric car and buying gas is not really bad you massive whining baby.

• Locked thread