Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Sicilian posted:

Do you see the difference between these 2 statements?

You think getting the block rate is compensation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

You think getting the block rate is compensation?

Sure, take a look at this guide:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=50850535262057681919

I'm done talking about this, you guys can respond all you want.

Work has picked up, so I won't have much time to post in this thread, enjoy.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 11, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Why would you do this? Why not just link to the government website with the "FTC Guide to Endorsements" doc rather than point to one you apparently uploaded yourself? Nor actually reference any part of the document for your argument (which I'm assuming is this since I'm not going to follow your spammy link that requires me to look at a document of their choice first)?

How much actual business experience do you have? I'm confused if you think that a host company negotiating a discount with a hotel in exchange for steering their guests to that hotel and/or renting the hotel's meeting space is either unusual or unethical. The rate is a reasonable one for a room in a Marriott (though I admit I haven't looked at that specific Marriott) and the transaction was between the journalist and the hotel, not the host. Conferences do this all the time. Hell, most weddings will do this for out-of-town guests. It's not GM offering a "favored journalist" discount on a Bolt or the like.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Work has picked up, so I won't have much time to post in this thread, enjoy.

That's what crazy people say before posting every 15 minutes for the next 4 days.

I think we might be in for a show. :dance:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blugu64 posted:

I wonder how much Tesla paid them to write that. Show us the birth certificate!!!

quote:

It was reported after the NTSB findings were released that Joshua was given 7 reminders to put his hands on the steering wheel prior to the accident. The false implication in the news stories was that Josh continued to ignore these repeated reminders (and keep his hands off the wheel) until he finally struck the truck. In reality, Teslas are designed so that every few minutes if the car does not sense hands on the steering wheel, it provides the driver with a visual reminder. If that is ignored, it then gives an audible reminder. If that is ignored, the car will slow down and stop.

This is still criminally negligent software design. It only stops the car if the driver has demonstrated that he's not paying attention on three separate occasions, with some time passing between each trigger. I recall that prior to this accident, the delay before the warning onset was something crazy like 90 seconds? But afterwards they pushed out an update to bring it down to 15 seconds between touches or something. 90 seconds is so lenient that it's ludicrous -- if you're exhausted, you can fall completely asleep sitting up and jolt yourself awake again before that timer has elapsed -- but 15 seconds is still more than a quarter-mile of road at freeway speeds. It's a "safety feature" on the same level as Uber's "safe rides fee."

quote:

Understanding how this technology works, we now know Joshua responded by putting his hands on the steering wheel. Aware of both the vehicle’s abilities and limitations, Joshua followed the prompts of the Tesla with each series of indications received. Otherwise, the Tesla would have automatically slowed and stopped.

Which might have saved his life if the indications were frequent enough to keep his attention on the road. That's the whole point of them, remember -- the warnings have to exist explicitly because it is still unsafe to look away from the road with the current software package. Whether it's for 10 seconds or 10 minutes doesn't matter in this case.

quote:

In the videos Josh posted to YouTube about Tesla, he repeatedly emphasized safety, that the car was NOT autonomous, and that the driver had to pay attention.

Do as I say, not as I do, and all that.

quote:

We heard numerous times that the car killed our son. That is simply not the case. There was a small window of time when neither Joshua nor the Tesla features noticed the truck making the left-hand turn in front of the car.

- driver believed he didn't have to pay attention to the road because the car would handle the situation
- car wasn't able to handle the situation and crashed
- ???
- no one is at fault here, really

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 12, 2017

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

edit I do not wanna be involved

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stevobob posted:

edit I do not wanna be involved

Come on, touch the poop, it's fun!

Probalby a whole bunch of electric cars being unveiled in the next few days.

VW's ID-CROZZ is getting a little closer to reality.

Seems kind of crazy going with a back doors that aren't gullwing.

It'll be interesting to see how different companies handle not needing a grille.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am down with sliding doors coming back, give me a revised ideally less lovely version of the Peugeot 1007 but electric please.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

If you can get a 4 door with forward sliding front doors too then we will laugh at every inconsiderate parker!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

This is still criminally negligent software design. It only stops the car if the driver has demonstrated that he's not paying attention on three separate occasions

Hands on wheel != eyes on road. I've gotten a bunch of warnings as well, because my thumb and index finger wasn't detected or perhaps I was scratching my nuts. I was still watching the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stevobob posted:

If you can get a 4 door with forward sliding front doors too then we will laugh at every inconsiderate parker!

I think the problem there is that if you park with your wheels turned, the door could hit the tire.

Maybe once batteries get smaller, we can get some of those Lincoln disappearing doors.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I would almost be a little nervous opening both sliding doors with a glass roof, and no b pillars. I'm sure they can engineer it, but still.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

probably a good thing Elon didn't see those or else the model X would still be in development

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

That's what crazy people say before posting every 15 minutes for the next 4 days.

I think we might be in for a show. :dance:

Mhmmmmmm.

Ironically I won't be driving my Tesla or probably any electric car for a while. I've been tasked with opening up a dev office in a former soviet bloc country for the next 3-6 months.

Can I leave my Model S plugged in for this long a period? I've never been gone that long.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Mhmmmmmm.

Ironically I won't be driving my Tesla or probably any electric car for a while. I've been tasked with opening up a dev office in a former soviet bloc country for the next 3-6 months.

Can I leave my Model S plugged in for this long a period? I've never been gone that long.

Forums poster Michael Scott would probably be willing to drive your car for you while you're gone, you know, to maintain the battery and what not.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

Yes, just limit it to 50% or something and ally yourself with someone who can reset a circuit breaker if needed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BMW iVision Dynamics Concept Sedan unveiled in Frankfurt. It is apparently named by Clarkson & co and has specs slightly below a Model S 100D

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/frankfurt-2017-bmw-ivision-dynamics-concept-sedan-unveiled-1749174

quote:

the electric car is a 4-door Gran Coupe that will have a range of 600 kms. The sleek sedan will get from 0-100 kmph in just 4 seconds and on to a top speed of over 200 kmph.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That grille: :yooge:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 12, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ola posted:

BMW iVision Dynamics Concept Sedan unveiled in Frankfurt. It is apparently named by Clarkson & co and has specs slightly below a Model S 100D

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/frankfurt-2017-bmw-ivision-dynamics-concept-sedan-unveiled-1749174

Enjoying the usage of coupe and sedan one sentence apart.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

600 km -- is it on a 100kWh battery?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
First with the i7 concept and now the i5 i can feel my brain already starting to push the normal good looking kidney grille into "old and busted" compartement in my brain in favour for this huge droopy monstrosity. It's like being overtaken by an alien parasite.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Hands on wheel != eyes on road. I've gotten a bunch of warnings as well, because my thumb and index finger wasn't detected or perhaps I was scratching my nuts. I was still watching the road.

Yeah first thing I thought of reading that was "what if you're wearing gloves?". You'd think with all the sensors and cameras and that sort of tech they could put a few eye and head tracking cameras and trigger the warning off those (then it's what if you're wearing sunglasses? Well it'll just have to estimate eye position within the glasses!)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It works fine with gloves. It's based on getting resistance when it turns the wheel, or getting a wiggle from an attentive driver. I get the second stage of warning frequently because I'm watching the road and not the console. I've had the third a couple of times because I was watching some nearby traffic idiocy to see if I needed to take over.

It is definitely not 15 seconds now, and it definitely wasn't 90 seconds before. Where do those numbers come from?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On another topic: the other day autopilot turned off (with the loud red error display) when heavy rain started suddenly. When I tried to turn it (or TACC) back on, it said that the radar didn't have visibility. I thought the point of radar rather than lidar was that it could handle rain and such?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

On another topic: the other day autopilot turned off (with the loud red error display) when heavy rain started suddenly. When I tried to turn it (or TACC) back on, it said that the radar didn't have visibility. I thought the point of radar rather than lidar was that it could handle rain and such?

It probably flummoxed the camera, not the radar. Have got the same entering a damp tunnel which probably misted up the camera glass. I think a possible answer is that none of these sensors are completely reliable in inclement weather and level 4+ software needs to "fail" in the same way people do when they lose visibility. Slow down, perhaps pull over, reassess if it's safe to keep driving.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

It probably flummoxed the camera, not the radar. Have got the same entering a damp tunnel which probably misted up the camera glass. I think a possible answer is that none of these sensors are completely reliable in inclement weather and level 4+ software needs to "fail" in the same way people do when they lose visibility. Slow down, perhaps pull over, reassess if it's safe to keep driving.

Wait, people do that?! I mean sure, occasionally you see folks on the news who've pulled to the shoulder frantically trying to warn people in vain about the fog/white out induced 200 car pile up ahead, but they're practically a statistical error.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

It probably flummoxed the camera, not the radar.

I don't think so. For one it said "radar" in the popup. For another I don't think it uses the camera for TACC, does it?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah first thing I thought of reading that was "what if you're wearing gloves?". You'd think with all the sensors and cameras and that sort of tech they could put a few eye and head tracking cameras and trigger the warning off those (then it's what if you're wearing sunglasses? Well it'll just have to estimate eye position within the glasses!)

That's how the Cadillac SuperCruise is supposed to work, IIRC. Curious how it will act in practice. GM is doing interesting things these days.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Wait, people do that?! I mean sure, occasionally you see folks on the news who've pulled to the shoulder frantically trying to warn people in vain about the fog/white out induced 200 car pile up ahead, but they're practically a statistical error.

They probably should've typed "people should do," because yeah when visibility drops in Miami a lotta drivers just turn on their hazards and drop their AWD Benz to idle speed in a 55.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Honda Urban EV Concept!

I see what they were going for, but man, that is not an attractive car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think so. For one it said "radar" in the popup. For another I don't think it uses the camera for TACC, does it?

I think it uses both. It's the camera which most often gets confused, but if it said radar then I can't really say it wasn't! It's used to detect weather patterns after all so it's probably affected by rain as well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

McPhearson posted:

Ah yes, the Golf 500

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jaguar is starting a one-make ipace racing series.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/i-pace-to-race-jaguar-ev-to-star-in-its-own-racing-series-to-run-alongside-formula-e/

And Merc EQA concept.

2 motors, 400km range, 268ho/368ftlb compatible with inductive charging.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Agronox posted:

Ah yes, the Golf 500

It's pretty much all Honda N600/Z600 styling cues.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Not a single image on this page appeals to me. WTF car manufacturers?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

McPhearson posted:

Honda Urban EV Concept!

I've been waiting for the AMC Gremlin to come back for years now. My prayers have been answered.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Not a single image on this page appeals to me. WTF car manufacturers?

How about this one!

SAE level 3 autonomy, 429hp, 95kwh battery, inductive charging and 150kw fast charging.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

How about this one!

SAE level 3 autonomy, 429hp, 95kwh battery, inductive charging and 150kw fast charging.
Better than the rest at least.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

McPhearson posted:

Honda Urban EV Concept!

I would buy this novelty rice cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

How about this one!

The spec sheet is amazing, would buy. The car looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick. Wouldn't even stop at the dealer.

• Locked thread