Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I went and did a thing this weekend.

It's only been two days, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Atasi posted:

Sup electric car buddy :cheers: Just curious, how much was your charger installation?

:ssh: That's the 120v trickle charger. I have to get the good charger preapproved by the power company for them to pay for 50% of it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ijustam posted:

Do you all have second cars for when you have to go beyond the range of the car? What's the insurance like on the Leaf?

I was car free for ~4 years but could and still can borrow a housemate's car if I really needed it, which was usually just for road trips to Austin. Probably still will be until there's quick chargers on I35. Insurance seems the same for any new car that's being financed, ie. expensive.

Colonel Sanders posted:

Duz, whats your impression of driving the Leaf as far as performance and handling? Did you consider other EVs or hybrids? I am not saying you made a bad choice or anything, just wondering what you thought about before buying.

It's been great after two days of commuting. No problems keeping up with traffic, which during rush hour varies between 25 and 65. I'll be trying to drive it more this weekend to get a feel for it. I only looked at the other EVs enough to not be impressed enough by them. A hybrid would've been my backup if test driving the Leaf showed it had issues, but it didn't, so that's what I ended up getting. Basically it boils down to I had money to burn and I hate driving, the Leaf felt worth the money and didn't feel like a chore to drive & maintain.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

My Leaf had a popup on the dash that it was cold outside yesterday. I'll have to take a picture next time, it had a snowflake and everything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

sanchez posted:

It's a warning to let you know it's cold enough outside for there to be ice on the road, BMW does it every time the temp drops below 37f.

That's when it went off in mine. I know this because there's also a digital thermometer on the dash.
Ice is a good reason for the warning, I was thinking it was battery related since it doesn't like the cold.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

So what home chargers are people using I see 16 amp, 30 amp and some 50 amp ones. Why can't i just plug the car into a dryer outlet? What is inside these expensive charging stations? Seems like a scam that is keeping me from buying a leaf.

Probably just a safety gizmo.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I test drove a leaf overnight and drove it like a regular car, i.e. I didn't charge it, and I heated the car up about 6 times because it is cold out. I got slightly under 40 miles out of a charge at city speeds. I could see how a review in those circumstances could happen without being a lie. I am going with a prius plug in instead even though the range is tiny.

I can't afford a better electric then the leaf, drat kids.

Mine's not been that bad, but freezing temps do put a noticeable dent into the battery life.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Don't laugh at the question, but anyone know when they are making at EV that plugs into a 120v outlet?

Are there ones that don't? I thought they all supported at the very least that, no matter how slow it charged on it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

I have a MAXXforce?

:emo:

I was watching the poo poo on the LEAF page and it was all "You need to pay $100 to have someone come out and blah blah blah..." and I'll be hosed if anyone says the recharge time @120v on their pages that is easy to get, hey we have round windows in our garage!

Of course they want you to hire their contractor referral and get the fancy one installed, but it charges just fine at 5 mph on a 120v outlet.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think absent the revelation that Broder was purposefully sandbagging the car, which he doesn't seem to be doing, I think it's a lose for Tesla. The purpose of the test is to see how the car would function in a real world driving conditions: from Washington DC to Boston; which is a typical trip and one which even the most lovely econobox could handle with absolute ease.

Assuming you actually fill up the tank when you stop instead of giving up and trying to make it on fumes.

The test was actually to go from point A to point B using the SuperCharger network, which he seemed to have visited but not actually used long enough to make it to the end.

Edit: And here's CNN doing the same drive, but filling the car all the way: http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/15/autos/tesla-model-s/index.html

duz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 15, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why isn't there at least a map of the route they took? Or how long it took? 60-65 cruise what's the normal speed limit in those areas? Christ, write a loving story of flashing titties or something, not that tee hee hee I made it and didn't die!

You seem to have confused CNN with a news organization.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

It only takes two or three minutes to fill up a car at the moment. Depending on the time and location those few short minutes will still not be enough to stop queues forming behind pumps. What happens when the cars are sitting motionless for 45 minutes? I wonder how big these charging stations are going to be.

Edit: (That's a level 2, the level 3/superchargers are about 3 times as wide)

They're quite small, small enough that around here they've been sticking them in the gaps between parking spots, where the handicap sign would go. You wouldn't need to have an equivalent to a gas station, you'd just have stores set a portion of their lots setup with chargers so you'd "fill-up" each time you park. Granted this only helps for in town driving, not long distance where you would need chargers on rest stops or something, but that will get better with improvements in batteries to the point where it won't matter that you have to stop for a half hour since you need to eat or whatever anyways.

duz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 15, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Coredump posted:

Excelent points. Yeah I don't know where I had it in my head that the range on the Leaf was 120 miles, so I got that one wrong.

Because that's the maximum possible (it's not possible), so Nissan uses it in all their marketing. The 2013 is supposed to last 20% longer so maybe it'll be easier to reach that mileage in absolutely perfect conditions.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given that I know a guy here in Phoenix who dumped his Leaf within the first year due to already seeing a reduction in battery life, yeah. It's going to be a bit before the economics on that make sense, but I think a lot of it will depend on how valuable the remainder of the battery is to the company in a lease arrangement like that.

How much was the reduction? I'm almost at the one year anniversary of mine and I'm in south Texas were it sat in 100 degree temps all day long during the summer and havn't noticed any reduction out of the ordinary (for what I think is ordinary, maybe I'm wrong). Or was he part of the group Nissan was talking about when they said they had some people reporting a quicker than expected death of their battery?

duz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 27, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't talk to him that often, he's one of my dad's friends - I think it was either one or two bars already gone.

That is pretty bad.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What is one or two bars out of? 10?

12 total, 10 white, 2 red.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

if I can just pass the charge cord under the garage door and close it with the charge station just inside the garage door.

That's what I do when I'm too lazy to pull it in the garage. The cord is rather long so it's fine. I'm using the included 110v charger.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Suqit posted:

Ford has an app already that you can use to have your car charge during off peak hours. And with PHEV you still have gas as a backup.

It's not as difficult as y'all are making it out to be.

Nissan too, well their app just has a one off timer, you have to use the in-car to set up a regular schedual.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mortanis posted:

The car comes with no charg station at all, correct? I'm not an electrician, and don't know any, so I'd want the $2k pro installation one and hope my landlords don't freak out. Unless installing new 240 isn't too hard and hiring a local contractor is cheaper - though the service might be worth it. My garage won't support a car (was renovated into a room before I moved in), and there's no place to stick an outlet, so I'm really not sure how to get a charging station anywhere near my driveway.

It comes with a normal three prong outlet plug and ten or so feet of cable. That's the level one trickle charge that does about five miles an hour. The one you need an electrician for is the level two and does fifteen miles an hour. I never bothered with the level two since I just rent the house.

Mortanis posted:

This is so bloody first world, but... how are the cupholders? I can't see them in the 360 interior view. My Mazda Protege had them recessed under the dash, so you can't fit anything but a can. Since this would be my commuter car it's a concern. Not a big one.

As you can see from this photo of a can I found in the trash, there's a decent amount of room. There is a bit of overhang, but you have to have a drink about 2-2.5 cans tall to hit it.

Mortanis posted:

Would I need the SV to take advantage of public charging stations? I guess I'm not sure if the faster stations can also trickle down into the slower (3.3 I think - the SV is 6.6) charger.

Most charging stations are going to be level two chargers which all models support just fine. The level three thirty minute quick charge is the one that only the higher models have, but the chargers also arn't available everywhere.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

In my case I could walk in and test drive the Leaf, but I wouldn't recommend it. As it was they only had one charged and the guys there were seemingly at a loss as to how to get it out of the showroom. An appointment would be a better idea.

Definitely call first, it is highly dependent on the kind of dealers in the area. There's like four different Nissan dealers here and I went to the highest rated one and they had three Leafs all charged up and ready with one on display 50 feet or so from the entrance to the lobby. Then again the sales guy said people were constantly asking to take them out on test drives.

Frinkahedron posted:

This is what the map is going to look like by 2015:

So jealous. I hope this leads to more quick chargers us non-Teslas can use.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

If that didn't have a surcharge (or only a small one) I would really be tempted by a Tesla, because my biggest objection to, well, all the EVs, is that the batteries are insanely expensive and batteries generally don't survive well in a hot climate. If I could just be swapping them out for new ones every few thousand miles, bam, no more objection.

I'm curious what my batteries are going to be like in a couple years given that I'm in south Texas and a month of 100+ days is normal. One year on it seems fine, but I do hope I hit 75% before the warranty is up so I can get a free swap.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

How long it takes also depends on how much you want to haggle. I went to a take-it-or-leave-it dealership and spent the first day signing paperwork, then came back a few days later after it all cleared to take the car home.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Powercube posted:

They came out with the price hike in early August.

About the epoxy thing; I'd love to- but I am the only EV in the entire complex- be too obvious. Also, the landlords are great about enforcement- just people are getting creative and parking in the spot after they leave for the weekend- then leaving right before they come in.

Get permission from the office to call the tow company for them on the weekends.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Radbot posted:

Is getting a Leaf a bad idea if your home charger can only be Level 1? Like so many other folks, running 220 out to the garage is a non-starter in my rental. My average commute is stupidly short (like 10mi round trip) and leaving it plugged in for 8hrs+ is no big deal.

That's my exact situation and it's worked fine.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Powercube posted:

The audio alert below 12mph would probably annoy the ever loving poo poo out of me. Hopefully they put in a secret way to disable it.

The one on the Leaf is just a quieter form of the reverse signal, I don't hear it unless I'm next to a box van with my windows down. I do notice people trying to figure where the noise is coming from when I pull up to a signal.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Maybe they can buy the rights or whatever is needed to make that noise the Fisker does once that company finally goes under (if it hasn't already?).

I just want it to make the noise the Jetsons' car made. I'd even pay extra for that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

My custom plates arrived!

Apologies to whoever I stole that joke from.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

CharlesM posted:

I'm kinda surprised you were able to get that plate in Texas before anyone else, it being so huge and populous.

Yeah, I'd been checking the site regularly for the past year until I was comfortable paying the insane fee Texas charges. Really glad no one took it since I didn't have a backup joke plate.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, there's no way an electric car will ever be "zero maintenance," that's just nonsense. Especially since the increased reliance on custom software and hardware means it's easier to lock people into expensive dealer maintenance, which is where a lot of them make their money in the first place.

Right, my owners manual says I have to have the brakes checked every year or so.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

Its not that I'm saying that you are lying, it's just that it seems to be as much hyperbole as it is inconceivable- especially in a cold environment.

How the gently caress are you spending $200 in gas vs $20 in clean coal(tm) recharge technology. Because running the heater, defrosters, and keeping it floored is that much more advanced with the latest EV options? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.

Yes, it is much more advanced that what you assume. And 40% of my power comes from a nuclear plant, thanks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

So you're saying there's no point in answering your question (well, responding to your statement). Good to know.

He's always been like that. He doesn't have any questions, just objections to the EV1.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

murphle posted:

Why on earth wouldn't it have a built-in trickle charger for the 12v battery to use when the car is plugged in? That seems asinine.

Makes me glad they added a solar panel to trickle charge the 12v! Oh wait, it's charged in a garage where the solar panel is useless.
What a weird situation.

duz fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 30, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I did it last year. I didn't have any software though so I had to print out the extra form and fill it out. I hope they fixed the language on it this year since it was worded poorly.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Thanks MrYenko. I am looking into this more and I didn't realize that the Leaf didn't come with a charger that does more than 110v.

I live in an area with decent access to fast chargers, including a Nissan dealership within walking distance of work, and my commute is ~15 miles each way so it seems like I wouldn't have many problems slowboat charging when I get home. Does anyone who has some experience know how much I'll hate life if I forego a home fast charger and rely on public ones in a pinch? This would be the second car in my household and I generally hate driving anyway.

Then there's also the issue of the fast charge kit itself, I'm looking at the $2k/$200/mo S model lease deal and I have no idea how much that goes up or if it's even an option with the fast charge kit.

Also why are the home charging ports like $999 when all the charging circuitry is on the car :psyduck:

That's my setup. My commute is ~10 miles each way and I only use a 110v at home and occasionally at the office. I've only had to use public chargers when it's super cold out and I need to do a bunch of driving. I voluntarily use them when they are somewhere handy to show there's a demand for them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

I did it I got a Leaf yesterday! :parrot:

Amazing car, drives like electric sex. Unfortunately I got hosed on the trade-in value of my old car (because I was trading in to a dealership and it was a day ending in y :v: ) and they made me pay the first month which everything I read beforehand said they don't so that killed the cash I had earmarked for an upgraded charging cable but SOON. I even realized that my dryer is 110v so there's just this big 'ol 240V plug in my garage just sitting there happily waiting to charge it.

As I only have the base model which doesn't have CARWINGS or anything, does anyone know if the Android app will do anything at all? I signed up on the Nissan site, added my car with the VIN, but when I try to log into it, the app says I don't have any vehicles on my account. I can't tell if it's because I just leased it (at 9PM on Friday) and Nissan has to set up some backend stuff or if it's because everything is through CARWINGS so it will never work.

Only complaints so far are pretty minor, like that the bluetooth doesn't do bluetooth audio but that's easily worked around with a cheap AUX cable, and overall I've never been a fan of leasing or purchasing new vehicles so I'll focus on the totally rad stuff I wasn't expecting to have in a car I own for another decade or so, like that I can loving call people just by talking.

Wait, the bluetooth on the base model doesn't do audio? What a thing to have as an upsell.
When I added my car to the site, I'm pretty sure it was instant, but I didn't have the base model.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I'm having problems with that USB plug all of a sudden. I used it previously to charge/play music on my Android Galaxy Nexus with no problems. Normal USB to micro USB cord. I picked up a HTC One M8 the other day, and inexplicably if I plug in the new phone, it'll just cycle connected > not connected over and over. I tried it with both the old cord I'd been using and the one that came with the phone. It completely disconnects both charging and music every 4 or so seconds.

Guessing a voltage thing, but it doesn't seem to work with every phone.

I'll just have to get a splitter for my cigarette lighter and use an adapter there I guess.

Mine does that too, I wonder if it's trying to read the file system and failing since it's MTP instead of mass storage.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody else here actually buy their Leaf? It sounds like you all leased it.

I bought mine. I don't know why, since it's not like the math is better. I'm debating trading it in for a latest model before the tax credit expires though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

smackfu posted:

Solar panels on a car don't make sense.

The one on my Leaf is supposedly a last resort to make sure neither battery goes dead.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

I will vouch that the Leaf will let the 12v battery die without kicking on the inverter if you don't 'start' the car for about a week. None of the system settings are saved to non-volatile memory :(

On a brighter note, at a year and a week into the Leaf, I crossed 17,000 miles today.

Yeah, I didn't want to test it and find out if it actually prevented anything or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

How bad is the range hit people are seeing? I've been thinking about a Leaf and live in Tennessee. Haven't even test driven one at this point but my Dad and I were talking about them over the holiday break and he got me to start pricing them out and seeing how it would work for my commute.

I live in south Texas so the Leaf spends much of the year in 100+ degree heat. I lost one bar after two years and seem to be losing 5-10 miles per year.

• Locked thread