Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Best Buy is selling the Acer A200 for $350:

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/20/best-buy-now-stocking-the-acer-iconia-a200-for-349/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer%20...ID=s9644iwo7itl

10" Android tablets down to $350 is a nice price point. Got my A500 for $275 locally but for a retail price this is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

McLarenF1 posted:

If you're reading comics, you may want to consider a 10 inch screen even though it'll mean a higher cost (maybe the old Transformer). I've got a Transformer Prime, the comic pages scale down perfectly to it's screen as seen below; however if they got to a 7 inch screen, I think a lot of text would become unreadable, and you'd be forced to scroll around each page.

Lastly, in terms of apps, I'd check out Comic Rack in the Android market. It's great and even supports wireless syncing to your PC.

How does it compare to Perfect Viewer?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
You're probably gonna ditch the Xoom purely on the size/weight issue

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

golgo13sf posted:

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

Thats a lot of charity work you're doing in YOSPOS

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Seriouslly, I thought there were rule changes to police the blatant trolling coming in from YOSPOS.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Kindle Fire, or maybe a 7" used on Craigslist or something?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

hotsauce posted:

Welp looks like Amazon is getting a return on my TF201 that just arrived.

You know by the time that one comes out there will be another on the horizon?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

hotsauce posted:

I'm going to return the TF201 to Amazon due to the issues I'm having and get a used Transformer TF101 with keyboard dock for $350 locally while I wait on the rumored new Transformer to be released.

Any known pitfalls with the O.G. Transformer? Is this a good price for the unit + keyboard dock?

Thanks.

OG Transformer:

Light bleed, and the dock not turning off when the tablet is off.

The newer docks will not have the problem, and I read that there was a new firmware that fixed the dock losing power over night, but I'm not sure if it fixed it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

AppleCobbler posted:

Just so you guys know, the Samsung 10.1 and 8.9 are both really good and have excellent community support as well as having all features work and decent ICS builds out there. I think they're the only manufacturer doing anything decent right now.

It's been nothing but poo poo from Asus with both the Transformer and Transformer Prime (I own the original TF). If I don't get Apple next round, I'm getting Samsung.

I really like the Iconia A500 I got 2nd hand. The reason why it didn't get as many people buying it was because it was $50 more than the Transformer. I had a Transformer and the screen quality just wasn't there with all the light bleeding going on. The Iconia has none of those problems, and it has full sized USB to boot.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

ScottyJSno posted:

Is the Acer Iconia Tab A500 all that bad? and is the USB port only good for fat32?

I like mine, there is a ICS Rom out there for it. Havn't tried using the USB port for anything but charging other devices though.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Deuterieux posted:

Flash mobile is dead. I'm not sure why Flash support is even considered a feature anymore.

Sometimes its pretty cool to watch streaming sports on your phone when you're on the bus or train.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've had mine for a week and a half and I like it alot. Only complaint I have is that 720p playback can be a bit choppy sometimes and it is a tad heavy, but for $349 I have no buyer's remorse.

Replying on it via the Awful app as a matter of fact :haw:

720p playback is bad on all Tegra2 devices right? I think if you encode them a certain way they will play back better.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

May I ask where you got it for $350?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004XZL980/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1329190318&sr=8-1&condition=used

You can get them for about $300 used on Amazon

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looking around, I think im just gonna pick up a XOOM on ebay. The going rate for a nice one on there seems to be ~320-350 and honestly I think that's totally reasonable.

I'm sure you could get a Transformer or Iconia for around that used too.

Transformer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004U78J1G/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1329201043&sr=8-1&condition=used

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Looks like some lovely QC from the Asus factories.

If you've read about Chinese factories at all its not that rare of an occurance.

Especially when a product like the Transformer Prime is rushed like it was.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Those with the Iconia A500, and A100 will have to wait til Mid April for official ICS:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02/15/acer-american-announces-android-4-0-update-for-a500-and-a100-coming-in-mid-april/

Though there is already an ICS rom for the A500

http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there going to be any backward comparability with the older versions of the keyboard docks?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

My Linux Rig posted:

I think the iPad's lower price in the tablet market has more to do with the guaranteed high volume of sales with the iPad has.

Also how they have hardware bought and lined up way in advanced.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
For $300 you could probably get a 2nd hand Acer A500, iPad 2, or Asus Transformer T101.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kazy posted:

Woot has the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for $350 today.

Also regarding cheap tablets: The amount of time and energy I had to spend to make my Nook Color bearable was just dumb. I just got fed up with relying on 15 year old kids for the software. Plus the performance still left a lot to be desired.

I was glad to finally get rid of it. (Though my Gtab 8.9 isn't near perfect, it is much better than the Nook.)

$335 :science:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Has any review site done anything on how comics or books look like on the Nexus 7? Comics looked good on my 10" Iconia, but shrinking that down to 7" I don't know if the text will be readable.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

IzzyNobre posted:

I've been thinking of picking up a Nexus 7, and my main use in tablets is reading comics. What is the quality of .cbr/.cbz reading apps? Will purchases made on Comixology on an iOS device load on the Android version of the app? I'm assuming yes.

Also, what's the best way to read comics on the Nexus 7? Portrait with a little zooming, or landscape and vertical scrolling through the pages?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. Kinda missing reading comics on a tablet.

found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoQeFUTo2Pc.

It looks okay?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I'm really interested in the 8.9, and it coming out in November so I have time to save up money for it is great. Now, did they actually go into HD playback on the device? Mostly I'm going to get it to read comics, and probably watch movies on it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Nabi XD looks like it could be a pretty decent regular tablet??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nabi+-+XD+Tablet+with+16GB+Memory+-+White/Silver/7586047.p?id=1218853500840&skuId=7586047

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I have a Nexus 7, and was thinking of getting a Nook HD+. How does it compare?

Mainly I use my Nexus 7 for comics, and was thinking that the 9" screen would make it easier to read the text.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I do not have a Nexus for comparison, but I'm loving comics on the HD+. Everything is crystal clear and I don't have to blow up the page to read text (yet anyway.) The diagonal is a little smaller than what I'm used to, but I'm not having any issues whatsoever.

(Full disclosure: I'm coming from a first gen iPad, so I've seriously upgraded my screen just by the upgrade.)
Welp thats all the convincing I need.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man I havn't followed the Android tablet market at all since selling my gen 1 Nexus 7, but is this worth a poo poo at all?

http://www.woot.com/offers/16gb-memo-pad-7-tablet-w-case?ref=cnt_wp_6_12

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

DemonMage posted:

Not really. 1ghz processor and 1GB of RAM is not worth it.

Anything worth getting around 100-150? Still Nexus 7?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
The Shield is the best bang/buck tablet right now right? Or should I wait for a price drop?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Nvidia can't seem to keep up production to always have it in stock either.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So the Lenovo Tab 4s in the US are only 2gb? Even the plus models? Is there a decent cheap tablet that is better than a Nexus 9? My Nexus 9 seems sluggish. My Moto G5+ feels faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
The Lenovo Tab 4 has 2gb of ram, and I think 7.0 at least. Also I believe its $130 for the 8".